PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 gti as first car?

dj_daniel88
07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone,
New member here, and will soon be looking to buy a mk2 gti as my first car. I'm glad I found this site, and hope you guys can help me, coz i've found next to no information about this generation of golfs on the net, and what i have found has been for overseas models.

for my first car i've decided i definately want a volkswagen. i want something small, fairly reliable and good performance. so golf gti seems to fit these categories (i think)...

i'm confused about a few things: i've read somewhere that us aussies only got the gti which lacked in performance (1.8 8valve). true or false? how does this model perform? if this was the only model available, are there any imports floating around with a 16valve engine?

does anybody have any specs on the aussie model? kw? and secs from 0-100km/h? how does the 8valve compare to the 16valve? if the only model was the 1.8 8 valve ,would it be worth tracking down an import instead?

i also read that volkswagen pulled out of the market some stage in the 80s and only came back in in the early 90's. so does this mean ther are certain years where no golfs were available in australia?

how is the cabin quality and how comfortable is the drive?

initially i was looking at getting a mk3 vr6 golf with my budget of 10k. instead, i have decided to cut the budget in half and put the rest towards my future plans to travel.

and last, can somebody please tell me what the mk2 gti's are worth!? i have seen so many different prices and am a bit mislead. i'm located in melb vic if that makes a difference on price?

i hope you guys can help me... this appears to be the ONLY aussie website for aircooled vws. any comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

syncro
08-12-2005, 06:46 AM
i'm confused about a few things: i've read somewhere that us aussies only got the gti which lacked in performance (1.8 8valve). true or false? how does this model perform? if this was the only model available, are there any imports floating around with a 16valve engine?

The Golf 2 GTIs were only imported in 1990 and 1991 and were the 8v digifant engine which was not the fastest but adequate. There are some private imports around with the K-Jetronic 8v and the 16v engine which both are fast enough. Most of the private imports are from South Africa and some others from Britain. Most of the British ones do not have air or power steering. The Australian GTIs have all of the luxury options that were available at the time.

i also read that volkswagen pulled out of the market some stage in the 80s and only came back in in the early 90's. so does this mean ther are certain years where no golfs were available in australia?

Except for a handful of Golfs sold in 1981 there were no VW passenger vehicles imported during the 80s.

how is the cabin quality and how comfortable is the drive?

The Australian ones were quite nice

... this appears to be the ONLY aussie website for aircooled vws. any comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome

gotrice
08-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Do yourself a huge favor and get a MK1. They are lighter, cheaper and a whole lot more fun to drive than a MK2 (Yes I know that all you MK2 owners are going to go nuts at me now but really you are only fooling yourself :lol: :P :lol: ).

Peter Jones
08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Or a compromise. Mk I with the 1800 MK II GTI K-Jet motor. Makes me smile whenever I press the loud pedal. :lol: 110Hp/800 kg!

PJ

static1800
08-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Ive got a Mk1 with a 1.8L digifant engine and after market computer makes me smile too :D

Go for the Mk1!

GoLfMan
08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
yeh a mk1 !!! im selling one atm if u want one :)

syncro
08-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Golf 2s are much more civilised. Air con, proper brakes, better handling, less carboard.............. :shock:

dj_daniel88
08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your help... I don't want too old of a car so the mk1 wouldn't be an option.
Would it be worth waiting to find a 16valve import? Is there a significant difference? How many imports are there around, or how easy is it to find one?

WABIT
08-12-2005, 11:26 AM
hey dude how old are ya??? im only 17 and my mum owns a vr6 i own a mk1 cabrio with 8v k-jet with many mods and my uncle owns a mk2 gti 8v and i cant drive any other cars but my mk1.... the vr6 being too easy to drive, you end up loosing all the fun, and the mk2 just isnt powerful and fun to drive, i love my mk1 for some reason due to me always being involved with the car when your in the seat....... i just love mk1's

but dude if your interested in mk2's then go sick man.. are you planning anything big for the car or just leaving it a stockie??

wabit

syncro
08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
16v is very rare and are usually South African and older.

WABIT
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Golf 2s are much more civilised. Air con, proper brakes, better handling, less carboard.............. :shock:

i got aircon, good brakes and beautiful handiling :P :P :P but no power steering BUT WHO NEEDS IT HAY!!!

dj_daniel88
08-12-2005, 12:11 PM
i'm 17 aswell. i dunno what my plans for the car would be, i'm still doin my research and i'm still not 100% sure what i want. i was thinking 90-92 gti, but now i dunno after reading they are a bit gutless. i dont really want to have to hunt down an import either.

what mods have u done to ur mk1?

i read somewhere that the mk2 gti that came to australia had the same engine as the mk1 gti's, but because they were heavier performance was lacking??

how much would i expect to pay for a mk2 gti??

i suppose the best thing to do is take a mk1 and mk2 for test drives and see how i like them...

WABIT
08-12-2005, 12:23 PM
what mods have u done to ur mk1?

how much would i expect to pay for a mk2 gti??

i suppose the best thing to do is take a mk1 and mk2 for test drives and see how i like them...

i have a 8v with a bigger cam forged pistons machined, port and polished head g60 injectors audi quattro brakes syncro longrange gearbox(my fav mod) ummm audi 5000 throttle body, ported intake manifold, custom made 2" exhaust system ummmmm...... cant remembar the rest sorry dude my dad did it all

wabit

syncro
08-12-2005, 01:25 PM
was thinking 90-92 gti, but now i dunno after reading they are a bit gutless. ...

Not exactly gutless but not quick.

i read somewhere that the mk2 gti that came to australia had the same engine as the mk1 gti's, but because they were heavier performance was lacking??...

No, the Golf 1 and earlier Golf 2s had MFI and the Aussie Golf 2 had EFI.

Good idea :D

dj_daniel88
08-12-2005, 02:20 PM
does anyobody know how muc the aussie mk2's weigh?

Golf Loon
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
You wont find a 16v in Oz, they are super rare.
The 8v Mk2s are great cars, safe reliable the 8vs rev forever and wont die and you can always do a 16v conversion later.
The aussie delivered cars 1990-1992 had a downtuned 8v motor 90Hp, as opposed to the 110hp south african and British cars.
My South African Mk2 GTI weighed 910kg on the papers. I just sold it for $3500, but you can pay up to $8000 still. Realistically they are worth $5000ish.
Get a good car and you can always swop engines, or tune em up later. There are guyson here who can help with parts and advice.
Welcome to our forum, please post your location.
Cheers

Roscoe
08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
The Mark2 GTi is a great all round car, as much as I like the Mark 1 the Mark 2 is just more comfortable and practical but still a great car to drive. There is plenty of room in it for a small car, fuel consumption is good and they are reliable. Didn't realise that the Aussie version was so down on power but it would still be a decent car and a lot better than any Korean or Jap tissue box.

syncro
08-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I think the Aussie GTI was 102hp. (77kW)
The Cabrio was 90hp. (70kW)

Weight is 1019kgs

aprr32
08-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I thought the Aussie GTI had the wheezy 105 hp, but it didn't matter anyway as they were a poor excuse for a GTI, but thats Australia.

syncro
08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I thought the Aussie GTI had the wheezy 105 hp, .

Could be. What's 77kW :?:

ausgolfer
08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Don't mean to correct people but what syncro said was incorrect.
While he was correct about the weight and power of a mk2 Gti, they weren't equipped with all the luxuries available at the time. As I have never seen a Aus delivered Golf with power windows a sunroof or electric recaros. Although in Europe Gtis were fitted with either sunroofs or aircon, being a bloody cold country most opted for the sunroof as aircon isn't needed.
Yes all the Aus delivered cars were all fitted with power steering, aircon, and electric mirrors.
Also most of the European Gti's "were" fitted with power steering contrary to syncro's thinking, it is infact rare to find a mid-late mk2 Gti without power steering.
No offense meant. :wink:

Golf Loon
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
[quote="ausgolfer"]They weren't equipped with all the luxuries available at the time. As I have never seen a Aus delivered Golf with power windows a sunroof or electric recaros. Although in Europe Gtis were fitted with either sunroofs or aircon, being a bloody cold country most opted for the sunroof as aircon isn't needed.
Yes all the Aus delivered cars were all fitted with power steering, aircon, and electric mirrors.
Also most of the European Gti's "were" fitted with power steering contrary to syncro's thinking, it is infact rare to find a mid-late mk2 Gti without power steering.quote]

I remember GTIs in Britain withough power steer, although more had sunroofs. The aussie ones are a funny model, 5 door GTIs without suroofs! Although I cant open the roof in Oz anyway. THey also mostly have ac, but no electric windows. By 1990 all GTIs in Britain had leccys.

dj_daniel88
09-12-2005, 06:12 PM
hrmm i think i might have to up my budget a bit. i have a good feeling the aussie gti might disappoint.

a bit of a step up in price, but i might try and find a golf vr6 for a good price. if i can't find one in my price range, i'll go for a mark 3 golf 2 litre. only cost a little more than the gti and has more power, and all power options (eg windows etc).

there is a vr6 on carsales right now in victoria,being sold by a dealer for only $7,200. it has done 200,000k's but still $7k is very cheap. anybody know why?

i'm not in a hurry to find a car, i have until april, but its good to start looking now and wait for the right car to pop up.

Oh and i'm located in melbourne. i can up my budget to $7k or the absolute max $8k... i know i'm dreaming of a good vr6 for this price but you never know. like i said before start looking now , see how i go.

thanks again for all your help guys

Golfwise
09-12-2005, 10:22 PM
I've had all the discussed models and wouldn't base my purchase on gimmicks like air or electric windows or a few less kilowatts of power all that seems shallow.we are on a Golf forum so must love the product.
I see nothing at all wrong with Aussie sold mk2 GTis if thats your choice .they have a great handling chassis and are fun to drive.
There are a lot worse brands about for the same money.
While everybody has the right to be enthusiastic about their own brand, it's really a case of weighing up their opinions and making your own choice. You could always buy a boring Toyota!
I suggest you buy your mk2 and enjoy.

Golf Loon
10-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Id buy a VR6 over a MK3 2L as they cost the same. A cheap VR6 would have the potential to cost you a lot of money though.
Any Mk2 is a lot of fun to drive and they are rare, so you feel a member of an exclusive club.
Good luck in your quest.

ausgolfer
10-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey Loon, when you quoted me, you basically repeated what I said??? Also I did say "most" Euro Gti's had Power Steering not all. I'm still sure what I said was correct, unless someone including you :) has more information than I do.
Back to the AUS Mk2 Gti's, personally I have never owned one. My best mate has had 3 and they've all had(the same in each car) some sort of electrical fault that seems to stop them performing. But otherwise a great looking(based on my own oppinion), handling and reliable car.
If your budget got a boost and you wanted something a little quicker, I(me) would go for a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport with the 2L ABF 16v motor. My best mate has just bought one over a VR6 golf. The VR6's sound great but they don't(in my oppinon) "feel" as quick as the Cupra or my car for that matter. You can also pick up a good Cupra, given they're available for about 8-10 grand.

Golfwise
10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Its a shame that in Aus SEATs have an image problem therefore a resale problem.Otherwise a top car.
Have one in the household at the moment (daughter) :lol: :lol: