PDA

View Full Version : GOOD BRAND OILS to service VW GOLF MK3 =)

MrJohn
09-06-2010, 10:22 AM
hey guys, so i just bought myself a vw golf mk3. since i never dealed with an vw car before in my life and wondered. WHICH BRAND OILS should i use to service it.
i have no clue what so ever with brands for VW CARS.
example
what engine oil should i use? 15w/40??
what oil filter should i use?
gearbox oil?

GoLfMan
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Fuch's is what I use. Cant remember the specs.

Hengst Oil filters

Redline Gearbox oil ;)

MrJohn
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
cheers bro? anything else? like mobile? castrol edge? **** like that? LOL

GoLfMan
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
cheers bro? anything else? like mobile? castrol edge? **** like that? LOL

Mobil is quality aswell.

I personally dont like Castrol, but thats a personal opinion. VW Australia recommends it so it can't be all that bad

I only use Fuch's cos its what Volkspower uses and its close to me.

MrJohn
09-06-2010, 12:59 PM
oh ok ok thanks.. mean any other ttype of oil filters? any clue where i can get my hands on Hengst Oil filters

Redline Gearbox oil??

and what engine oil i should use 15w/40??? or 0w/30??

Jmac
10-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Hengst happpen to be OEM for the win. When you buy them from dub you get the nice box . If you even get the chance to look at a Polo match 1.6 the actual filter housing is stamped hengst, thus OEM.
Just make sure you know hwta engine you have as it will be VERY important. The new diesels use Castrol and Penrite envio+ 5w30, both endorsed by VW.
Oils are VERy important guys, affects VV timing and in some applications not specifically Vw the engines dont start
Jmac

MrJohn
20-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Hengst happpen to be OEM for the win. When you buy them from dub you get the nice box . If you even get the chance to look at a Polo match 1.6 the actual filter housing is stamped hengst, thus OEM.
Just make sure you know hwta engine you have as it will be VERY important. The new diesels use Castrol and Penrite envio+ 5w30, both endorsed by VW.
Oils are VERy important guys, affects VV timing and in some applications not specifically Vw the engines dont start
Jmac
HECTIC im guessing DUB is the man for everything on this site aye? answered all my questions and needs here! loving it

Peter Jones
21-06-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/hello_kitty_engine_oilthumb450x43-1.jpg

Stephy
23-06-2010, 05:36 PM
??? Not real - so can't be real....

I prefer Fuchs in my VWs - including the VR6.

Bora Sport
27-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I have used Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic 5W40 in the Vento for the last 10 years or so. I change the oil and filter (I have always used genuine as they are only about $15.00) every 15,000k's. So far the original (untouched) engine has over 440,000k's so it must be resonably effective.

I usually wait until Supercheap or Repco or even Kmart have their 20% off sales and buy a couple of the 5 litre packs. The one 5 litre still does me for the 15,000k's.

Diesel_vert
29-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Definitely can't go wrong with German-made Fuchs. And in keeping with the Deutsche theme, Liqui-Moly (http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/) have finally started selling their oils in Australia, which are also made in Germany (woot!). They have a free shipping promotion as well if you spend over $50.

If the engine (1.8 L if I'm not mistaken) is in good condition, then you'd do well with either a 10W-40 or a 5W-40. Only go down to 15W-40 if it's burning lots of oil.

noone
29-06-2010, 01:41 PM
For your filter, just get it from VW dealership or if you know someone who can get their parts a little cheaper, should only be $20.

Don't stress too much about the oil mate, its not a supercar. Stick with Fuchs, Mobil, Castrol, etc and you'll be fine. Make sure the viscosity is correct, thats a big one.

For gearbox oil, check the last time it was changed. No need to change it after 10,000 kms.

MrJohn
30-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I have used Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic 5W40 in the Vento for the last 10 years or so. I change the oil and filter (I have always used genuine as they are only about $15.00) every 15,000k's. So far the original (untouched) engine has over 440,000k's so it must be resonably effective.

I usually wait until Supercheap or Repco or even Kmart have their 20% off sales and buy a couple of the 5 litre packs. The one 5 litre still does me for the 15,000k's.
cheers bro.thanks

GoLfMan
30-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Jmac
Listen to Jmac fellas, this guy is a crazy good service tech :)

experience over anything ;)

Diesel_vert
30-06-2010, 03:16 PM
With respect, he has a mid-90's Golf. I know 504/507 supersedes every oil spec, but I wouldn't really recommend a 5W-30 504/507 oil (as good as they are) in an engine this old, nor does it warrant such an oil. This isn't a direct-injection EGR soot monster that's burdened with expensive after-treatment devices and extended service intervals. Not to mention it'd be a waste changing such an oil regularly - I doubt this car was designed for extended oil drains.

Horses for courses.

And yes, always use OEM filters, don't bother with anything else.

MrJohn
03-07-2010, 03:25 PM
With respect, he has a mid-90's Golf. I know 504/507 supersedes every oil spec, but I wouldn't really recommend a 5W-30 504/507 oil (as good as they are) in an engine this old, nor does it warrant such an oil. This isn't a direct-injection EGR soot monster that's burdened with expensive after-treatment devices and extended service intervals. Not to mention it'd be a waste changing such an oil regularly - I doubt this car was designed for extended oil drains.

Horses for courses.

And yes, always use OEM filters, don't bother with anything else.

so what would u recommend using for my 1996 GL golf? i dont wanna be paying expensive oil for a daily like this. as u mention it aint no highly modded car

The_Hawk
03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
so what would u recommend using for my 1996 GL golf? i dont wanna be paying expensive oil for a daily like this. as u mention it aint no highly modded car

If your doing it yourself is it really that expensive to spend $50 on oil once or twice a year?

Personally I used to use Fuch's but found the VR6 engine just ate it up since it runs so hot. I have since switched to Castrol GTX2 which seems to work a treat. Magnatec was also recommended but the GTX2 has been good to me so it will remain my oil of choice.

Diesel_vert
03-07-2010, 05:16 PM
i dont wanna be paying expensive oil for a daily like this. as u mention it aint no highly modded car

Not so much the expense (cost effective 504.00/507.00 oils can be found), but more to do with using a 30-weight oil in a 10+ year old motor that's probably used a 40-weight oil all its life (speculating here).

so what would u recommend using for my 1996 GL golf?

Again, depends on the state on the engine. It'd be nice to know what's in there now, what's been used previously and whether or not it burns oil.

Going out on a limb here without knowing its service history, but if the engine is in excellent condition then a 5W-40 would be nice, or a 10W-40 if it uses a lot of oil.

As for brands, Fuchs and Liqui Moly are two stalwart German brands if you like the genuine article, but the regulars will also be fine.

Make sure that whatever oil you buy, as an absolute minimum, it meets ACEA A3. 40-weight oils are preferable. If it meets any Volkswagen oil spec 50x.xx that's a bonus but not strictly necessary I would think, at this stage of the motor's life.

MrJohn
04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Not so much the expense (cost effective 504.00/507.00 oils can be found), but more to do with using a 30-weight oil in a 10+ year old motor that's probably used a 40-weight oil all its life (speculating here).

Again, depends on the state on the engine. It'd be nice to know what's in there now, what's been used previously and whether or not it burns oil.

Going out on a limb here without knowing its service history, but if the engine is in excellent condition then a 5W-40 would be nice, or a 10W-40 if it uses a lot of oil.

As for brands, Fuchs and Liqui Moly are two stalwart German brands if you like the genuine article, but the regulars will also be fine.

Make sure that whatever oil you buy, as an absolute minimum, it meets ACEA A3. 40-weight oils are preferable. If it meets any Volkswagen oil spec 50x.xx that's a bonus but not strictly necessary I would think, at this stage of the motor's life.

i probably go for 5w-40. this car only ran 131,000km. i got the engine checked and the mechanic stated that it was running smooth.
yea i dont have a clue what oil the old owner used and also he told me he hasnt service it since the day he got it =s.

Diesel_vert
06-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Not optimal, but if the mechanic said it's fine, then I suppose all you can do is keep an eye on the oil level. As long as the consumption rate isn't excessive, it should be fine.