PDA

View Full Version : Recent Cameron corner trip with the big guns.

V10TDI_downunder
06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi all,

For you domestic VW enthusiasts, please find attached some great pictures of our recent trip to Cameron corner and back.

Places visited where, Mungo National Park, Menindee, Kinchega National Park, Broken Hill.

Bypassed Milparinka, but that’s another story, with laughter I might add.

Tibooburra, Cameron Corner, White Cliffs, Wilcannia. Had a ball at the local in Ivanhoe, Singh departed back to Sydney from White Cliffs, Bob and myself parted in Hay heading East and South.

The white Egg V6 ULP is Singh's, the black Egg Oiler is Bob's R5 TDI and the salt lake grey is my mighty V10.

Both Bob and myself towed camper trailers with the greatest of ease, my average fuel economy was 15.3l/100km, pretty good considering that where possible the average speed was 110 on the black top and even on the dirt, with 3.6 Ton of combined Touareg V10 and trailer loaded with 60 litres of fuel and 140 litres of water and supplies.

I am told from the other 2 members their Touareg's handled everything very well, and fuel use was excellent with no mechanical issues other then a broken rear windscreen on Bob's Oiler. However a roll or 2 of grey duct tape fixed it well enough to keep going to Tibooburra. Bob and his partner did a proper tape up the following day and it was good for the major journey back to Canberra.

I had a wonderful week all-up, spent with very nice people that I met for the first time. Great scenery / views, good tucker, cold beers and fantastic vehicles to drive, towing or not.

The attached photos only represent a few shots made, infact I took 319 short all up that resulted in about 1.26Gb of disk capacity, therefore the attached a 1024x768 and not the crisp Nikon D200 10.2Mp pictures that are approx. 6.5Mb in size.

I would encourage other people to join our next outing, I hope to develop another tag along soon, so keep an eye open here and on Clubtouareg.

Regards

Gerald

rayray086
07-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Great pictures, good to see you're using the T'regs the way they were meant to be used :) How often do you guys have these big trips??

brackie
07-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Nice to see the 'regs out there doing real 4WD work :)

matthewfnorbert
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
great pics, :) wish i had gone along :?

how many miles covered in how many days?

what were the temps like?

i bet the outback folk looked twice at the big vdubs

phaeton
07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Great shots Gerald :D (I loved the White Cliffs sunset, beautiful ;))

Love a Dirty Touareg j:

I want a Touareg or 4x4 VW lol

Thanks for Posting ;)

bobzed57
07-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Fellow Oz VWers

Here's a link to some of my photos from the Cameron Corner trip. There are a couple of other albums you can check out as well.

Cheers

Bob

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/bobzed57/Cameron%20Corner/

phaeton
08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Fellow Oz VWers

Here's a link to some of my photos from the Cameron Corner trip. There are a couple of other albums you can check out as well.

Cheers

Bob

Gee Bob the windscreen looks funny with all that tape :D

bobzed57
08-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Ben

... and hard to see through too. :)

Moonan
09-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Well done and great photos guys!
I am jealous...
We'll have to organise another trip really soon!

V10TDI_downunder
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

In relation to another trip, who can go?

Excuse the question, I ask because quite a few Touareg owners have tyres that are not suitable for off-road touring.

I am up for suggestions.

Infact I was talking to Bob & Singh during our trip and a trip to the NSW south coast highlands was mentioned.

If there is a real interest, lets open another thread, I am happy to take in any suggestions and take the lead to arrange another tour.

dmm_au
22-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Looking through these pictures it seems it was pretty tough on the vehicles.
Bobzed57's last picture of the touareg getting loaded on a flatbed entitled a sad ending isn't explained.

What happened?

Moonan
22-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Looking through these pictures it seems it was pretty tough on the vehicles.
Bobzed57's last picture of the touareg getting loaded on a flatbed entitled a sad ending isn't explained.

What happened?That's Bob's R5 heading off for its rear windscreen replacement after they got home... Apart from that (rock thrown up from camper trailer), the vehicles are tougher than that trek, they lap that sort of thing up and beg for more!

bobzed57
22-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi guys

Great trip to Cameron Corner, unfortunately, I picked up a rock off the front of the camper trailer and shattered the rear glass. All was good until the keys were inadvertently locked in the car and we had to break in to the Treg to get them out. Luckily we already had a broken window ;-).

The repair saga continues to this day. The Treg's been back to the repairer three times to finish the job on the tailgate. He did a good job on the paint etc, but hasn't been able to hang the tailgate properly, and now exhaust gases get sucked into the car when the sunroof or windows are open. I bought the Bentley manual, which has detailed instructions on hanging the tailgate. Having read them, the repairer was never going to get it right without special tools etc.

The insurance company has finally agreed to get VW to fix the tailgate. With some luck, it should all be good in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Bob

bobzed57
22-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Guys

I've just posted an excerpt of a video on my recovery using the VW towing eye at http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/bobzed57/ . The video is courtesy of tamashek, and in it appear singh, matthewf, me laying out the snatch webbing and moonan's Treg doing the recovery.

As moonan said, the Treg will eat this stuff up. I'm a member of a 4WD club here in Canberra, and many of the members are starting to concede that the Treg might just be a bit more capable than they thought.

Cheers

Bob Z

phaeton
22-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm a member of a 4WD club here in Canberra, and many of the members are starting to concede that the Treg might just be a bit more capable than they thought.

Cheers

Bob Z

Yeah most people think they're just AWDs.

I wish some more South Aussie Touareg owners would join then I could tag along to a 4x4 outing.

Perhaps a holiday interstate at a Touareg GTG is in my future ;) :D

bobzed57
22-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Ben

Be careful, you might get your wish. I'm from SA originally (well, I left when I was 12 and that was about a 1000 years ago), and I've been talking to her-indoors about a trip there next year. Maybe the Great Ocean Road, the vineyards of the Coonawarra and McLarenvale and a little trip into the Flinders Ranges. That should cover off on a couple of weeks.

A few active SA Treg owners would be a good excuse to make the trip. Maybe you'll have to do a few door-stop visits to Treg owners and sign them up.

Cheers

Bob Z

phaeton
22-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Maybe lol :D

Saw a nice facelift the other day :o

armdlo
12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Fellow Oz VWers

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob
I asked the stealer about fitting a front bar, said cant be done, you proved this wrong, any advice,how did you turn off the front "distance alarms" cant think of the correct name.

greg

Flipper Dog
12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
There is a place to try, in Europe many aftermarket companies offer work to the Touareg but no one over here is willing to try..... dealers are worst still if the options are not factory listed.

Cobra offers upgrades for new VW Touareg
July 18th, 2007

European outfit Cobra Technology & Lifestyle has developed, among other items, a stainless-steel tubular front guard for the facelifted Volkswagen Touareg. These guards meet European Parliament guidelines for pedestrian protection, which we are not sure is a good or bad thing. To save pedestrians, will it crumple more easily at the slightest bump?
The exterior of the Touareg can be further refined with high-gloss stainless-steel components: The front of the vehicles can be upgraded with a stainless-steel grille for the aperture in the front bumper.
Other add-ons include chrome-design mirror housings, custom-tailored light-alloy wheels with diameters of 20 and 22 inches, tube-style rocker panels and running boards.
Middle East buyers would have to order these items from Europe.

Flipper Dog

bobzed57
12-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Greg

My light/recovery bar screws into the two threaded holes in the front of the Treg.

When I bought it, no one in the US could work out how to stop it affecting the parking sensors, while I had no trouble. I worked out that if you do the recovery bolts up so that they are about 10-20 degrees off vertical, no problems with the sensors. Now the website advertises that if you don't want the parking sensors going off, do the bolts ups so that they are 45 degrees off vertical.

Simple really.

Bob