PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/Intake

Allegiance
06-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has started to look into a aftermarket exhaust/intake for the 77TSI?

Thanks

schoona
06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Excuse the rudeness, why not but a GTI if you want to be tuning for power?

Billecartz
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM

It's not necessarily about maximum power all the time, it is sometimes good to work with what you have. Whilst a 77TSI is never going to be the fastest car, why not have some fun with it and experiment with different modifications. Even though it's not a GTI it would make a really good sleeper and surprise others :-)

Allegiance
06-06-2010, 09:39 PM

God, same **** I used to get on the WRX forums when talking about tuning my N/A Impreza.

There are many reasons why I didn't get a GTI which I am not going to go into now.

Back on topic please.

schoona
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
My apologies. NA impreza is cooler than 77 polo though.

I'd be getting custom for both. A bit of pipe bent, pod on the end in a box for an intake with a cold air feed, and going to a reputable exhaust shop for that. For an "APR" you may as well buy a house. Not sure if there is even any "off the shelf" kits available yet.

Buller_Scott
07-06-2010, 12:32 AM
My apologies. NA impreza is cooler than 77 polo though.

you really reckon?

i'd consider other cars before NA impreza.

a cursory glance of carsales lists demo rs imprezas at $30k ++. not much car for that price, especially with others like holden cruz/ mitsu lancers going for $10k less.

an NA impreza might be cool from a boy-racer point of view, but the 77tsi is similar legroom in the back, classier to look at, probably better interior finish, and very easy to safely get good gains from. not to negate your view or anything, this is just my view :)

but yeah, Allegiance, aftermarket CAI is something that you can jimmy up yourself- we're talking removing the stock air box, replacing it with a good quality pod filter [BMC, K&N, if not something like cogdoc's Apex'i dry filter], fed straight to the stock air intake snorkel part of the grille, with as few bends as possible. heat-shielded and sealed FTW.

exhaust, i'd look around at what others are doing re size, dont know how small that turbo's going to be. either way, something like 2.5'' mandrel bent dump, leading to stock cat, even, will net some gains.

back box/ muffler delete is always a good thing from a weight/ restriction point of view, even more when chipped.

then you've gotta address suspension!

FWIW the gti's always going to be the superior car. but a 1.2L engine, capable of 100+kw and 220+nm [WITHOUT even addressing intake/ exhaust yet] is a pretty beautiful thing, in my book.

soon, vw will be getting similar figures from 1L cars. im all for it.

Allegiance
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
you really reckon?

i'd consider other cars before NA impreza.

a cursory glance of carsales lists demo rs imprezas at $30k ++. not much car for that price, especially with others like holden cruz/ mitsu lancers going for $10k less.

an NA impreza might be cool from a boy-racer point of view, but the 77tsi is similar legroom in the back, classier to look at, probably better interior finish, and very easy to safely get good gains from. not to negate your view or anything, this is just my view :)

but yeah, Allegiance, aftermarket CAI is something that you can jimmy up yourself- we're talking removing the stock air box, replacing it with a good quality pod filter [BMC, K&N, if not something like cogdoc's Apex'i dry filter], fed straight to the stock air intake snorkel part of the grille, with as few bends as possible. heat-shielded and sealed FTW.

exhaust, i'd look around at what others are doing re size, dont know how small that turbo's going to be. either way, something like 2.5'' mandrel bent dump, leading to stock cat, even, will net some gains.

back box/ muffler delete is always a good thing from a weight/ restriction point of view, even more when chipped.

then you've gotta address suspension!

FWIW the gti's always going to be the superior car. but a 1.2L engine, capable of 100+kw and 220+nm [WITHOUT even addressing intake/ exhaust yet] is a pretty beautiful thing, in my book.

soon, vw will be getting similar figures from 1L cars. im all for it.

I do have a 2007 Impreza, so I got in before the ugly ones came out! :) I am not hoping the car will be a GTI or even close to it, but if I can get more power from it I might as well.

noone
07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey mate...

Funny story because I sold my 2003 Impreza for my 2006 Polo GTI. Good upgrade.

Personally, I don't expect you are going to get much benefit from the exhaust. This is only based on reading lots of info in these threads.

I'd have a look at the Polo UK site as they have had it a bit longer and brand name upgrades are cheaper for them.

In terms of power gains, I'd be looking to the intake / air filter and maybe a component (eg dump pipe or muffler box) for a change in the sound and a few extra kw.

Personally, A chip is going to give a much better yield, I would be suprised if there was 10kw to be had with the intake and full exhaust.

As already stated, I don't know the new Polo build, you may find there is a very simple restriction bypass...

Good luck with it, keep your eye on the UK tuner sites to see whats being developed OS, I noticed you can get KW suspension for them already...

Allegiance
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Hey mate...

Funny story because I sold my 2003 Impreza for my 2006 Polo GTI. Good upgrade.

Personally, I don't expect you are going to get much benefit from the exhaust. This is only based on reading lots of info in these threads.

I'd have a look at the Polo UK site as they have had it a bit longer and brand name upgrades are cheaper for them.

In terms of power gains, I'd be looking to the intake / air filter and maybe a component (eg dump pipe or muffler box) for a change in the sound and a few extra kw.

Personally, A chip is going to give a much better yield, I would be suprised if there was 10kw to be had with the intake and full exhaust.

As already stated, I don't know the new Polo build, you may find there is a very simple restriction bypass...

Good luck with it, keep your eye on the UK tuner sites to see whats being developed OS, I noticed you can get KW suspension for them already...

Hi,

Thanks for your response, if I decide to modify it will be Stage 1 ECU tune first, then intake & exhaust at the same time. So I am hoping that combination will give me a good gain in kw over stock. It will be interesting to see what note the engine has with a different exhaust.

Thanks,

Buller_Scott
09-06-2010, 02:11 AM
the good tuners should be able to get at least 100kw and 220-230nm out of it, mate. so that'll be a nice gain.

but then, there's nothing saying that you cant go for more.... places like evolve technik in melbourne do dyno tuning. if/when i get a bigger turbo, they'll be the ones handling my tune as they post better diesel engine tune figures than pretty much all of the other off-the-shelf tuning companies out there. dyno tuning with a reputable tuning house is gooooooooooooooooooood

Allegiance
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Bumping an old thread here, supersprint have this under development:

exhaust system VW POLO 1.2 TSI 3d. (105 Hp) 2010 (http://www.supersprint.com/USP000vwpol29.asp)

When it is released I think I will buy it.

Hail22
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
ABT Sportsline currently have an exhaust/rear diffuser modification Ramspeed in Seven Hills Sydney NSW orders/stocks this particular item i believe its a turbo back exhaust setup with a carbon look rear diffuser.

Currently in talks with Ramspeed on price, delivery, installation costs.

Allegiance
05-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I looked at that, I thought it was only a muffler and not a turbo back?

Buller_Scott
05-09-2010, 02:15 PM
turboback on a turbo this small will be a lot of money for not much gain.

even the polo gti 9n3 boys determined that just dump pipe, to stock cat, was best bang-for-buck.

i reckon dump, then rear box delete [mufflerectomy] would be most cost effective and yet still yeild good results.

bigfoot
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
holy thread resurrection batman!

Bumping an old thread here, supersprint have this under development:

exhaust system VW POLO 1.2 TSI 3d. (105 Hp) 2010 (http://www.supersprint.com/USP000vwpol29.asp)

When it is released I think I will buy it.

did you end up buying?

if so what does it sound like?

I'm not really looking for more power but would like to increase the volume of the "bark" you get when a DGS car changes up a gear. with 180km on the clock it's starting to become a bit more noticeable (few more heat cycles through the mufflers?) but still nowhere near as loud as agolf GTI.

any ideas?

Hail22
09-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Ummm you mean the blurting sound when the gear changes? i notice i get a really faint one from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th with throttle so if thats the case, im sure you could increase the "blurting sound" if im right to assume thats what your looking for.

I think it may be that little bit of lag in the exhaust pipe that makes it just push that sound out...wish i knew i love the sound of my bro's Mk6 GTI haha can hear it from two blocks away when the DSG changes gear.

bigfoot
09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
"blurting sound"

is that the technical term? :P

yep that's what i want to increase

Hail22
09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I am on the same boat...but i do get a little bit of it, i guess the best bet is to ask VW or maybe someone on here knows how the sound is actually created.

Allegiance
09-12-2010, 11:31 AM
That exhaust listed is still not available! When it is I will get it though. And yes I love that sound to :P

Hail22
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
VW's new slogan...yes we blurt about anything and everything....vroooommm bllurrrrttt. Post up the info when some fresh news walks into the door.

bigfoot
09-12-2010, 12:25 PM
VW's new slogan...yes we blurt about anything and everything....vroooommm bllurrrrttt.

gold :lol:

In my digging i found this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/automobiles/01NOISE.html

Apparently euro-spec golfs have sound tubes too. While it's not the DSG blurting we're talking about, it's cool nonetheless.

FJ Steve
11-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Ummm you mean the blurting sound when the gear changes? i notice i get a really faint one from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th with throttle so if thats the case, im sure you could increase the "blurting sound" if im right to assume thats what your looking for.

I think it may be that little bit of lag in the exhaust pipe that makes it just push that sound out...wish i knew i love the sound of my bro's Mk6 GTI haha can hear it from two blocks away when the DSG changes gear.I drove our Polo TSI DSG home yesterday from the showroom, and my wife followed in the .:R32. At a set of lights, she wound her window down and yelled out..."come on...show me what it's got." So, into "S" and at the green light I gave the 1.2 a boot-full. Surprisingly, it really does get along very well. And, according to my wife, it sounds like a "wet fart" when it changes gears (she reckons my farts are louder).

So...subscribed to this thread. She wants some "noise" from the Polo's exhaust.

Hail22
11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe we need to gather around for a few beers to tinker around with this idea, i could do some work when my cousin clears out the Moffat RX7 and his AE86.

FJ Steve
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Maybe we need to gather around for a few beers to tinker around with this idea, i could do some work when my cousin clears out the Moffat RX7 and his AE86.I have beer and garage space...come over:driver:

Hail22
11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Rofl do they let people sleep in trains cause i want to bring my car over to tear up the streets near the Swan River haha.