PDA

View Full Version : Caddy TDI inlet clean

Preen59
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Hey guys.

I did the inlet flush that Andrew has been raving on about to me for a couple of months now..

Definitely worth it if your Caddy has done over 50k. Mine's done 65 and the difference it made was impressive.

It's smoother on trailing throttle (very light throttle), more responsive and pulls harder too. It also seems to come on boost more smoothly. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Here's what i did.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/preen59/The%20Caddy/IMG_0223.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/preen59/The%20Caddy/IMG_0224.jpg

I pulled the pressure side intercooler hose off and sprayed the stuff in with the engine idling. This worked OK but if i wasn't careful it dribbled back out.

I ended up slipping the hose back over, jamming the nozzle under it and into the inlet. Then i grabbed a rag and sealed it off so it couldn't blow back out. Squirting it in, in increments as the engine didn't really like it too much and idled pretty rough if you squirted it in too fast (i actually caused it to stall at one point!).

All in all i'd definitely recommend it. Go see your mechanic if you don't like doing these things yourself and ask them about it. Not sure what it's worth as the old man have a couple of boxes full of the stuff he got from a retiring Wynns rep. :)

GoLfMan
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
cleaning my inlet manifold has been crossing my mind a bit of late with my car just ticking over 80k today.

Where do you get that stuff?

So basically you squirt it down the guts of the inlet to the manifold?

Preen59
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
cleaning my inlet manifold has been crossing my mind a bit of late with my car just ticking over 80k today.

Where do you get that stuff?

So basically you squirt it down the guts of the inlet to the manifold?

Most automotive shops should sell it. And yes, it's pretty much that simple. You just need a compressor for the vacuum generator as i couldn't find a vacuum line to hook it into. :)

Greg Roles
05-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Anyone with a DPF should be wary of doing this just quietly, but a must do for any non DPF'ers!!

gtimk5
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I actually use the Wynns high pressure 3 direct into the throttle body. This stuff is designed for all late deisels, especially the DBF types.
I do it on each desel VW that comes into my workshop and the surprise on my customers faces is great!
This kit comes with a thin tube with 3 very fine holes which sprays out into the maniflod, the idea is to try and clean at the actual valve arrangment on the late model vehicles.
Takes all of 5 minutes to do,
Glad you have found a difference Preeny doing the clean using the early type cleaner. My clean gave my Caddy made about 50% difference to the power that the Oettinger reflash did!
Cheers, Andrew

Buller_Scott
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
i've been thinking of doing this for a while now too.....

i've already done the intercooler clean, made a slight difference, i felt, getting all that crap out.

but as for the manifold clean, have i got the right idea:

air intake/ filter -> turbo charge -> intercooler -> intake manifold -> engine.....?

if that's right, can i simply remove the post-intercooler pipe, and, with the engine idling, squirt that stuff into the intake manifold?

is it really that easy?

Preen59
05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Yes. You are right and it really is that easy. :)

gtimk5
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Thats the way I do them Scott,
Unclip the intake pipe out of the throttle body. Spray diectly deep into the manifold. The version I use was developed in Europe and trialled in Tasmania by Wynns last year before the mainland took it on.
The kits have a pressure can which the hose pushes onto. Like a small pressure can of paint) Comes with a direct injection bottle of fuel treament.
High Pressure 3 is the name.
Cheers!

Jmac
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Agreed x 2

Buller_Scott
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
cheers guys!

i am SO checking this out tomorrow :D

Greg Roles
06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Might be approved on the can for a DPF Andrew, but all that oil burns to ash, and it's oil ash that finally terminally clogs the DPF in the end. VW say this themselves in their service bulletins I have copies of. Won't cause an immediate problem, but shorten the lifespan, well I'd reckon so.

Buller_Scott
06-06-2010, 03:43 PM
hey guys, sorry to be a pain. i got a can of throttle body/ carby cleaner today. it's just a spray nozzle with a little straw on the end of it [nulon].

here's my engine bay:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/buller_scott/polo%20engine%20bay/IMG_3112_2.jpg

is the car going to go boom if i simply undo the 90` rubber hose that leads into the egr mechanism/ flap piping, in the top left of the pic, and spray the stuff in increments, into that?

just that i dont know what im looking at- cant see a throttle body, and there are no little hoses / pipes leading into the intercooler-> egr/ intake metal bit, that would suggest vacuum lines.

cheers... im keen to get this done!

Preen59
06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
It should be OK, just be careful if the propellant is butane.. If it is, the engine RPM might (well, it most likely will..) increase when you spray it in.. :)

Buller_Scott
06-06-2010, 08:47 PM
It should be OK, just be careful if the propellant is butane.. If it is, the engine RPM might (well, it most likely will..) increase when you spray it in.. :)

cool man :)

as a pessimist, my negativity always gets in the way of things, but **** it, im doing it NOW. piccies to come!

Buller_Scott
07-06-2010, 04:07 AM
did it!

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f28/did-sprayed-can-throttle-body-carby-cleaner-into-egr-manifold-45572.html

GoLfMan
07-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I may have to do this in the coming weeks!

my car just ticked over 80k!

Lams
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
andrew has been telling me about this stuff too
mine is on 66000km and I do notice the performance and economy has dropped quite a bit lately

I'm keen to do this, it just comes in a spray can does it? just throttle body pipe off and spray it in? Andrew, do you know if this product is retailed to the public?
Thanks

Preen59
21-07-2010, 08:07 PM
As far as i know, you can buy it retail, mate. And yes, pull the pipe off and spray it in. That's pretty much it.. :)

Incisor
16-10-2010, 09:26 PM
has any one tried fitting up a mann hummel pro vent (http://www.mann-hummel.com/group/upload/doc/HBCHACUaaBi.pdf)?

save having to do this all the time.

lot of land rover guys with turbo diesels use them to great effect.

Transporter
17-10-2010, 06:50 AM
has any one tried fitting up a mann hummel pro vent (http://www.mann-hummel.com/group/upload/doc/HBCHACUaaBi.pdf)?

save having to do this all the time.

lot of land rover guys with turbo diesels use them to great effect.

I did but not to Caddy. It works very well if you buy kit get some spare cartridges or at least one - I clean mine and reuse it.

Here is the post. (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f28/egr-should-we-all-more-concerned-27155-14.html#post321348)

Check out Greg Roles "Let the tinkering..." threads in the diesel section, he installed ProVent200 in his Golf TDI Sport, there is a lot of good info in his threads too.

DutchAussie
18-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey guys.

I did the inlet flush that Andrew has been raving on about to me for a couple of months now..

Definitely worth it if your Caddy has done over 50k. Mine's done 65 and the difference it made was impressive.

It's smoother on trailing throttle (very light throttle), more responsive and pulls harder too. It also seems to come on boost more smoothly. I'm pretty happy with the result.

)

Preen,

which TDI engine is that?
My 1.9L (2007) TDI looks different.

Preen59
18-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Mine is October 06 built, 07 badge, 07 complied.. Maybe that's the difference?

DutchAussie
19-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Mine is October 06 built, 07 badge, 07 complied.. Maybe that's the difference?

I had another look under my bonnet.
Is your Caddy not a turbo?

Preen59
19-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah dude it's a 1.9 TDI...