PDA

View Full Version : petrol conversion???

vwjetta
05-04-2007, 11:25 PM
On behalf of a non computer literate father..... Is it possible to convert an Audi 5+5 2.1 5cyl petrol engine to diesel? Is it the same block as the 2.5l 5cyl diesel? Being a machanic/fitter by trade he has some ideas on paper. Has anyone attempted this? This vehicle is due for a rebuild (currently will not fire over for one). He has many friends in his same trade with Mk1 diesel golfs (running on local take away shop cooking oil) wanting him to attempt this project. Any ideas?

Golf Loon
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Its not the same block and the diesel one will be stronger than the petrol.

I reckon a T4 van 5cylinder diesel engine would fit though, if you can get one. Either 2.4diesel, or 2.5TDI.

Altered Sprinter
05-04-2007, 11:59 PM
True, the block may look the same but that is where it stops its a much heavier block everything inside of the engine is as different as cheese and chalk.
You would have to change the dash board instrument panel along with the entire wiring diagram to suit as to the extra gizmo's that are need for the Diesel , it is also possible as you are modifying, the engine for road use, you would need transport approval and they may require you to install a different exhaust system with the DPF.
I've done this with Toyota's and it's not an easy task and that was on a twenty year old van the Audi may present you with more headaches than it's worth.
I'd check out with the Transport guys if it's legal first.
Richard

brackie
06-04-2007, 05:48 AM
I had a personal import Audi 100LS (in the US an Audi 5000) back in WA. The motor was a 2L, 5 cyl diesel and it was sweet until...well that's another story :( . Basically it would replace the petrol motor with little or no mods (fuel filter and housing, glow plug switch; and other small things need to be done) and the Audi 5 speed would be OK. Getting one would be the problem as they were never imported int Oz, however they are still around in the US and Europe. As Loon and Mr Sprinter say the conversion to a 2.5 would be a nightmare (but not impossible) and then you have bureaucracy to deal with. I remember taking the motor out of the Audi and there wasn't much room to move so I don't know about the 2.5 or its external dimensions.

I reckon the associated costs would be prohibitive and you would be more than happy with the performance of the 2L diesel if you could get one.

gldgti
17-04-2007, 09:39 PM
i agree with brackie..... have a look on www.vwdiesel.net and look around... you might find someone with the engine/car in question, and im sure they are available/popular over there, maybe you could get one shipped over???

it would cost you... certainly though its not impossible or i imagine hard once you have the right engine.

i dont think i'd worry about using a t4 one, i reckon it'd cost less to bring over a proper engine from the states.