PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 lowered springs

static1800
05-12-2005, 12:03 PM
My Mk1 really needs to be lowered, guys who went to the cruise will know this. I have nice stiff suspension atm and want to keep it that way.
I dont want to go to low and rubs though.

Whats the best brand(s)? price etc.
thanks

Peter Jones
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
I just put a set of Kings Springs on mine. It's too early to say how low it will end up, it takes a while to settle. The manufacturer claims 30mm lower than stock. They cost me $270 for a set of 4 on e-bay. The coils are thicker than stock so I'm guessing they'll be heavy enough. It took me about 5 hours to replace all the shocks and springs in my driveway, nothing too advanced.

My car was too low and bottoming out on the drivers side. When I pulled the old springs out I found out why. The springs had one coil cut off and had been heated with an oxy torch. The CIG mods had stuffed the strut inserts too, most of their oil was in the strut. Handling should be much improved, braking is definately a lot better.

PJ

aprr32
05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
I just put Spax springs and Bilstein shocks in my 85 16v Cabrio and with 15 inch BBS's they are low but don't rub.The Bilsteins are very very firm which makes the cab fun to drive but Canberra roads are pretty smooth compared to Sydney and some other places.The springs were $99 from E-Bay and the shocks were a good price from Mr Bug in Melbourne. He has a few bits and pieces for Golfs.

static1800
07-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Nice. its already got bilstein shocks so there goes half the cost :)
Might check out some stuff on ebay.
thanks guys

EndlessMKI
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi mate,

Met you on the meet. I got the lower than standard springs from king springs a while back and found them to be on the soft side for my liking and it didn't lower the car all that much. 30mm sounds about right. Which for our cars is not enough.

Give me a msg when your ready to order as I can get any shocks or springs at trade price for you and save abit.

I'm getting some custom ones made up cause I want it to be fairly firm with my koni yellows that I just got.

Cheers,
William.

silva1
09-01-2006, 09:25 PM
ye go the spax, they are good value for money, nice drop & good rebound.
ihave had apair on my mk1 for 4 years & have been really happy from the word go, if you already have the billy's your going to have a great handling car
do you have a lower front strut , that makes the greatest overall difference on a mk1
regards ian

Golf Loon
09-01-2006, 09:39 PM
There are some king springs on ebay at the mo and I`ve got loads of lower strut bars.

gotrice
10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Hey, I have a set of very tight and slightly lower springs that have only done a few miles. I am happy with them but have bought a new complete set of springs and shocks (Thanks Pete!) so now I dont need these. I'll sell em to you cheep if you want them.

EndlessMKI
10-01-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm going to give the eibach 'sportline' a go. I heard their pretty stiff and lower the car around 1.8" so 4.25cm which will be perfect height.

Your car wasn't that high when I saw it. You need nice rims then lower it :P .