PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a minor improvement to the forums.

hoi polloi
22-05-2010, 10:31 PM
While I like the new layout of the forums I think one improvement that can be made is that the original poster of a thread be identified somehow in all replies within that thread - maybe just with the letters "OP" or something similar somewhere in the heading...

Apologies if this has been suggested and ruled out before...

- Anthony.

The_Hawk
22-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Never be worried about putting up a suggestion. I'm happy to look into it since it sounds sort of nifty. Have you seen it running on another forum somewhere for me to have a look at?

hoi polloi
23-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I was thinking something along the lines of Whirlpool Forums (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/) (computers, internet etc. etc.)

Just for the reason that in certain cases it would assist in answering the original poster's question.

Regards,
- Anthony.

Buller_Scott
23-06-2010, 02:13 AM
yeah i think that would be a pretty good idea, for sure.

i've been reading through threads in other sections on vwwa and it seems lots of people are getting infractions from certain moderators for simply following the flow of conversation, rather than not directly answering the op's question, 10 pages of posts ago, as succinctly as possible, which might lead to suppression of insight/ slightly off-on-a-tangent "did you also know"'s / incidental knowledge being shared by people in certain sections of vwwa, for fear of being infracted one-too-many times and eventually being banned for 12 months or whatever, which would be a shame as it's also that breeze-shooting which adds to the richness not only of vwwa, but also of the pub meets, the gtg's and show n' shines, and the vwwa culture which is acknowledged on plenty of other forums not only nationally, but internationally as well :D

a visual reminder of the op might help to avoid the eventual heavy-handedness that occurs when the conversation strays from the OP's question after 7 pages of posts.

p.s. not critiquing moderators at all, i know they have a tricky job, i'd just hate for vwwa to slowly start to become like other forums i've seen where slightly off topic talk gets people infracted and quickly banned, and oops now we've driven everyone away but at least all posts are 150% OT etc etc.

gareth_oau
23-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Can I ask an 'unrelated' question?

in the new format, I click the "whats new" button and see all the new postings since my last visit - great function, works well.

however, if I leave when only half way through reading, then next time I visit, the forum assumes I've read them all, and I can see those Ive missed, or if I "mark forums read", i cant easily go back and find stuff unless i know which forum the trhereas is located in.

So, is there a function that I cant find that lets me go over what has been posted (and read) today, and if not, can that be re-introduced?

Cheers

In the previous format, there was a button to "read today's posts"

gerhard
23-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Can I ask an 'unrelated' question?

in the new format, I click the "whats new" button and see all the new postings since my last visit - great function, works well.

however, if I leave when only half way through reading, then next time I visit, the forum assumes I've read them all, and I can see those Ive missed, or if I "mark forums read", i cant easily go back and find stuff unless i know which forum the trhereas is located in.

So, is there a function that I cant find that lets me go over what has been posted (and read) today, and if not, can that be re-introduced?

Cheers

In the previous format, there was a button to "read today's posts"

Easy - log out, and browse the forum, and you'll get "today's posts"

gareth_oau
24-06-2010, 12:33 AM
not ideal, cant reply to any then

The_Hawk
24-06-2010, 08:10 AM
You can try the Live Spy, but that's only going to show you about the last 25 posts, the next option is the advanced search in the top right corner.

Select posts and set the date to yesterday as below, that should show you all posts since yesterday, feel free to select an older time if that's relevant, although I do note it only seems to show up to 100 posts.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/Screenshot20100624at80709AMpng-1.jpg

Hope that helps. As for the OP thing, still looking into something along those lines.

TazzyVR6
30-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Why do we need every single listing from ebay.au? If I want to look through ebay, I go on ebay...

Silver dub
30-08-2010, 06:18 PM
X2 tazzy, it takes for ever just to find a post that's non ebay bot.

Definitely a bad idea

Pm sent to the Hawk!

team_v
30-08-2010, 06:25 PM
X2 tazzy, it takes for ever just to find a post that's non ebay bot.

Definitely a bad idea

Pm sent to the Hawk!

Yeah the ebay bot is spamming the new posts section and is really annoying.
Not really necessary imho.

dainese
24-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Never be worried about putting up a suggestion. I'm happy to look into it since it sounds sort of nifty. Have you seen it running on another forum somewhere for me to have a look at?

they have it on the OCAU forums i frequent often. Just a neat little pencil against OP username.

The_Hawk
25-09-2010, 08:37 AM
As requested we now have a minor improvement to the forums. Under the user information for the user who starts a thread all their replies now have this little icon so you know it's all their fault ;)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/threadstarterpng-1.jpg

dainese
25-09-2010, 08:38 AM
As requested we now have a minor improvement to the forums. Under the user information for the user who starts a thread all their replies now have this little icon so you know it's all their fault ;)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/threadstarterpng-1.jpg

nice work!
'all their fault'.... haha