PDA

View Full Version : Turbo mk1.. what they like?

worm
03-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey guys

live in melb, and am after a track car.. namely a golf

I have owned a golf mk1 gls before.. sold it to a mate who is slowly destroying it... and it kills me.....

So I thought why not get another as a track car.... anyhow.

I have noticed a few that are turbo and guess they would be great. Anyone know what there like to drive as everyday car as well? reliability? and parts? I have another car as well, work car, so it can be off the rd, but i would rather it not...

Anyhelp much appreciated

static1800
03-12-2005, 08:39 PM
It all depends what sort of turbo engine really, probably worth while checking out the tuning and performance section, I know there has been talk about turbo engines.

In my opinion a Mk1 is a good start for a track car, a turbo isnt a must have as in an 8v they can run very hot, a nicely worked EFI n/a engine can fly don't you worry. But yeh a turbo can help for sure.

Depends on what you want to spend etc. etc.

gotrice
04-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey worm. I have an 8v 2L in my MK1 and it is fairly quick but I still want more to keep up with my ricer friends so I am looking at a turbo or supercharger. I have aftermarket injection so I can do it pretty easy but if I were you and didnt have loads of money to spend, just get a MK1 with a 1600 and turbo it!!!!!!! It would be cheep to replace engines coz no one wants to hang onto their 1600 engine so you could go nuts!!! LOL

GoLfMan
04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
mate im selling my MK1 4 door if you wanna check it out?

worm
04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Cheers guys

There is one mk1 turbo for sale here for 3g, but it was listed about 1 month ago.. i sent the user a pm, but it looks like he only posted about 3 msgs.. so my chances are slim

I was thinking, prob be better of getting a gti with the 1.8 and trubo that.... although i guess u could turbo the 1.6 and if it dies it doesnt really matter.... but 1.8 would b mean!

GoLfMan
04-12-2005, 04:36 PM
or get a 1.6, bore it out to 1.8 then turbo, while your boring it out port and poliish it, forged pistons etc itll go sweeet 8)

Gold-mk1
04-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Audi TT, Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia 1.8T lump ? :twisted:

evorobin
04-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I have noticed a few that are turbo and guess they would be great.

Who are you talking about?

worm
04-12-2005, 08:15 PM
sorry mate. None in particular... as I said above there is one for sale, but its an oldish listing and I saw one in the trading post about 1 year ago.... so they are out there.... maybe not as common as I thought/hoped

alex g
05-12-2005, 07:45 PM
i had the pleasure of taking peters aka apr32 20 valve boosted caddy for a skoot in canberra before it was evem sorted and it was well well rapid.

Golf Loon
05-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey worm, look in the for sales section on this forum in the curioser and curioser post. THere were two Mk1s for sale, one of which was turbod up.
You can message the owner through ebay. I reckon turbo the 1.6 until youve blown a few then go for the 1.8s and take it from there. Also please update your location mate. Good luck in your quest.

worm
06-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Profile updated

I had a look at the ebay auction..... not bad for a project.... BUT... seeing as I have no room for cars to be sitting around ill have to pass, really after something that works :D...... the longer it takes to find a car = the more money I can save = the more mods I can do :twisted: