PDA

View Full Version : GTI swaybar upgrades

mitch_gti
02-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi there everyone.

I recently fitted a whiteline adjustable rear sway bar. Love the results, not oversteery or unpredictable at all. Just feels tighter and more controlled.

I was so pleased with the result that today I ordered a new FRONT whiteline adjustable swaybar.

In your opinions which setting should i have it on for the front?

For the rear i have it on the middle medium setting.

My GTI is a weekend car ONLY, so ride comfort isnt a huge thing. i just want it to handle like a go kart. So maybe the hardest setting for the front bar?

Glide_GTI
02-04-2007, 10:39 PM
mmm sounds like something worth looking at

Vieussuex
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
It definately is something to look at i got them front and rear transformed the car dramatically.

Hey mitch what setting u got on the rear the middle setting??

beefa
03-04-2007, 06:20 AM
I live 5 mins from Whiteline, do they sell from the store itself or only online ??

The price i have seen on the rear bar seems very good.

Kai
03-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Im looking at buying them...

Is it easy to put on? Could a noob like myself do it ?

What i mean is, is there any suspention unbolting ?

shaneth
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
yep i want a rear one as well. i wonder if they do group buys.

beefa
03-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Im looking at buying them...

Is it easy to put on? Could a noob like myself do it ?

What i mean is, is there any suspention unbolting ?

Kai,

There are some really well detailed instructions on the Whiteline website for the installation.
http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/instructs/Z362_BWR19.pdf

Kai
03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
wow

thanks mate :)

Timbo
03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
They're pretty simple to fit, and yes, based on my experience in another forum, you can do group buys with Whiteline.

It helps if you have a set of ramps (or are very thin :D )

Mitch, I'll be interested to hear of how you get on with the front bar. From memory, it's about the same thickness as stock, just adjustable, so there may be very little in it.

Flaps
03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
How much...?

FL00DY
03-04-2007, 03:17 PM
How much...?

See I just thought like everything to do with modding cars it would be expensive, but going off the Whiteline site, $213 each for front and rear.

beefa
03-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Thats pretty cheap indeed.

Unfortunately they dont sell direct from the warehouse/factory which means only via their online store or from the retail outlets they list on the site. This essentially means no chance of group buy discount.

FL00DY
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Thats pretty cheap indeed.

Unfortunately they dont sell direct from the warehouse/factory which means only via their online store or from the retail outlets they list on the site. This essentially means no chance of group buy discount.

Do they allow pick up? They are based in Minto.

beefa
03-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Nope... asked them that too. Said they have moved production to Somersby. Minto would have suited me fine : (

FL00DY
03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Nope... asked them that too. Said they have moved production to Somersby. Minto would have suited me fine : (

Yeh Same. Well I wanna get them and maybe install this weekend.

FL00DY
03-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Mitch did you buy them online from the Whiteline site or from a shop???

beefa
03-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Dont like your chances of getting one by then :) Id be surprised if or Auto Barn carry them... but let me know I may have to pop in and grab one if they do.

---- just rang the store to get price and delivery times

---- Store hasnt sold it before (Campbelltown) so they dont have the price and part numb on their computers. The sales guy is going to call whiteline in the morning and get back to me with a price.. So far they are impressing with their customer service :)

FL00DY
03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Dont like your chances of getting one by then :) Id be surprised if or Auto Barn carry them... but let me know I may have to pop in and grab one if they do.

---- just rang the store to get price and delivery times

---- Store hasnt sold it before (Campbelltown) so they dont have the price and part numb on their computers. The sales guy is going to call whiteline in the morning and get back to me with a price.. So far they are impressing with their customer service :)

Your talking bout Autobarn? Yeh I rang them and said it would take 3 days to get any Whiteline bar. Let me know how you go and when they'd have them. Could you ask them to get two in??? Cheers :D

Kai
03-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey guys....

Whiteline sponser one of the forums im on.

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191997

So you may be able to get it cheaper if you say your from there! Whiteline are paying big bucks for there add there aswell.

-
Kai

shaneth
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Im a member there as well. just pm'ed him for cost stay tuned unless you buy one in the mean time. :D

mitch_gti
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
sorry guys, only just got home.

Rear sway bar fitting is very noob friendly. So do not be concerned. Took 25 mins.

Just make sure you have a couple car jacks and a couple car stand thingies.

Rear cost me 250 for the adjustable one.. and yes i have it on the middle setting.

Front one, i rung them and mentioned i work in the motor trade. Getting the adjustable front one for 210.

Im thinking i might put the front one on the hard setting :D

Timbo
04-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Just take care not to go too stiff at the front, which may have the disturbing consequence of reintroducing the understeer you're trying to minimise :(

beefa
07-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Had a reply from Autobarn on thursday arvo. He said that Whiteline were in the middle of relocating their premises and this was causing delays in stock and information... The guy said he would call me back when he finally had some more info. Oh well :)

DaveMack
13-04-2007, 12:10 AM
yep i want a rear one as well. i wonder if they do group buys.

If group buys are available ... I'm in. Also a Boostcruising member ... maybe we could sort something out.

BLKMJC
13-04-2007, 12:35 AM
The rear helps a lot, but I chose not to go with the front one. It already understeers enough!

shaneth
13-04-2007, 06:48 AM
This is the reply i got off boostcruising. What does everyone think. Should we start another thread for a group buy?

hi mate..

sorry for the late reply mate , i've just got back from overseas...

depending on the numbers , i can certainly help you out with a great group buy price for these..
even if you allready have a better price from somewhere else , i will do my best to save you all as much as possible , but without a confirmed number of people , it's hard for me to screw whiteline down lower on their wholesale price...

there is nothing listed in my latest book for a front swaybar for the 2006 polo..
thats not to say they don't make one , i can't call whiteline at this time of night to confirm , do you know if they are available at all ?

the rear is not a problem , either fixed or adjustable.. but i'd certainly recommend the adjustable one.. gives the added advantage of fine tuning the amount of understeer or oversteer you prefer , while still maintaining perfect corner entry..

fixed 20mm rear swaybar retails for $235 plus freight..

as a price i can give you here without bugging whiteline for further discounts would be $190

if i had a confirmed number of people interested , i could work out something with whiteline.

the adjustable one is listed as the same price which is good , normally they are in the higher price catagory , so wouldn't bother with the fixed one then, because the adjustable one is listed as $235 as well..

freight charge for one bar is $20 , to all major cities and suburbs australia wide..

cheers mate.
Brad..

beefa
13-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Im in for that price, maybe best to start a new thread.

FL00DY
13-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Yup I'm in for a rear adjustable bar.

DaveMack
13-04-2007, 01:11 PM
As it says up there ? /\

D

brumue
13-04-2007, 01:31 PM
ditto, sounds like a great first mod.