PDA

View Full Version : Uprated rear suspension?

Volvo Driver
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
My Dad's mk3 has been used for towing a 300kg loaded hovercraft + gear and people for the past 2 and a half years, for about 200km trips once a month, as a result the rear suspension (we had a tow bar added) is very saggy, the front suspension was also fixed accentuating the problem, but Dad is reluctant to look around for alternatives, I think that the springs are worn out from the increased weight, but it could just be sagging shocks, however they need to be replaced and I was wondering if there are overload springs availiable for the Mk3 and where I could get them from as it is really getting to me about it because I plan to be getting it in a few years time and if it doesn't get sorted then I'd have to foot the cost of getting springs in a few years time if he doesn't get it done right.

BlackVr6ix
03-04-2007, 08:50 AM
some has happened to my VR6, the factory springs have sagged.

i'll get around to changing them i swear!

MattyT
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I didnt think a Mk3 golf would be a very good towing car :?

ScienceVR6
03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
i was quoted a tow bar for my car being rated at a measly 350kg. as such, i dont think anyone would make an overload spring for such a car, seeing as the car cant tow more than 350kg.

Volvo Driver
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Ah, the TDi motor is great for towing, newer VW's are capable of towing so I thought it would make sense, but Dad likes driving his car because the engine just doesn't feel it, compared to the n/a 2.4 diesel van which can hardly move, it's great.