PDA

View Full Version : Polo GTI Test

OilBurna
17-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Volkswagen Polo 5 GTI (http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2010/small-passenger/volkswagen/polo/volkswagen-polo-5-gti-19379)

break
17-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Once again proving that carsales.com.au are full of old men with beards who know nothing about real driving passion.

OilBurna
17-05-2010, 03:04 PM
from drive....

Germans love hot hatches in the same way Aussies love V8 muscle cars. That much became obvious as the new Volkswagen Polo GTI demanded admiring stares the same way a new HSV or FPV would Down Under.

Navigating the autobahns, rolling hills, twisting mountain roads and narrow town streets on the drive from Frankfurt to the famous Nurburgring race track it's easy to understand why these little cars are so popular.

The fifth generation Polo, launched only last week in Australia, has spawned the fourth generation Polo GTI hot hatch.

Looking just like its older brother, the Golf GTI, the Polo packs all the usual hot hatch tricks - more powerful engine, improved handling and a sportier look.

The new model, due to arrive in Australia late this year, is powered by the VW Group's 1.4-litre turbo and supercharged engine; the same unit found in the 118TSI Golf.

It's been tweaked for the Polo GTI so now packs 132kW and 250Nm, giving it a 22kW and 30Nm advantage over the out-going Polo GTI's 1.8-litre turbo unit.

Heading out of Frankfurt on the unrestricted autobahn the Polo had little trouble pulling towards 200km/h on the way to its top speed of 229km/h.

But when the road got twister the engine proved flexible thanks to its twin-charger set-up. The supercharged acts when the revs are low to give the turbo time to spin up.

Careful application of accelerator is required though because there's more than enough grunt from the engine to overpower the front wheels that have to transmit the power to the road.

It's the curse of all front-wheel drive hot hatches so to help the process of getting the power to the road the Polo GTI uses the same clever electronic differential as the Golf GTI. Known as XDS, the differential is able to improve traction and road holding by braking the inside wheel when the array of sensors pick up any wheel slip.

It works in conjunction with the car's traction control and electronic stability control program and together the system certainly helps but doesn't remove the need for a smart right foot.

Another piece of technology that adds to the driving experience is the addition of a speaker mounted inside the firewall that acts to boost the sound of the engine inside the cabin. Like the XDS, the speaker technology debuted on the Golf GTI.
It's a neat party trick that gives the pint-sized Polo a real rorty soundtrack, perfect for such a hot hatch.

Despite all the extra power the new car sips 5.9L/100km compared with 7.9 of the old 1.8-litre turbo, as well as emitting 188g/km of CO2. That's a fuel consumption improvement of 25 per cent, an impressive achievement in an era when fuel use is increasingly being factored into peoples' purchase decisions - even with small cars.

One move that will excite some buyers and disappoint others is VW's decision to offer the Polo GTI without a traditional manual gearbox. Instead a seven-speed double-clutch automated manual (known as DGS in VW-speak) is fitted as standard.

The DSG is an impressive piece of equipment. You can leave it alone and drive the car like a regular automatic or use the steering wheel mounted paddles to change gears manually.

While some purists will decry the lack of a "stick shift" manual, it doesn't take long to see the benefits of the DSG. It will make using a Polo GTI as a daily driver a much more relaxing experience, while still allowing drivers to get the best out of the manual mode when circumstances demand; there's a manual override that at least allows owners to pick the gear they want.

But all that engine power and clever gearbox and technology doesn't mean much if the basic suspension set-up has missed the mark. Happily for VW, our first overseas steer of the Polo GTI shows it enjoys the same brilliant dynamics as the Golf GTI.

Rising on 17-inch allow wheels the ride is unsurprisingly firm, as you'd expected from a hot hatch. While the balance is squarely tipped in favour of performance over comfort the Polo held up well on some of the rougher back roads we encountered; Australia's poorer roads and often challenging surfaces will no doubt throw up some unique challenges, which we'll assess when the Polo GTI arrives here.

The steering, too, is great, with direct, precise reactions and good driver feedback.

The same can't be said for the brakes, which while providing enough stopping power, did so without much feel through the pedal.

Stepping out of the Polo GTI there is now questioning its lineage, it is the spitting image of the Golf GTI. Already looking like a shrunken Golf, all the trademark GTI styling cues can be found on the Polo GTI.

That means the black honeycomb grille with red stripping at the front, the five-spoke alloy wheels and colour coded rear spoiler. Inside the same Golf GTI tartan fabric is used on the seats.

Indeed the interior of the Polo GTI is one of its most endearing features. The tartan seats are teamed with simple grey cloth trim and soft-touch black plastics as well as a beautiful, thick-rimmed steering wheel. The result is a refined, upmarket cabin that looks much more expensive than the pricetag the car carries.
So will the Polo GTI be a hit when it arrives in Australia?

While Polo-sized hot hatches remain popular in Europe, Australia's are yet to embrace such compact offerings wholeheartedly.

Ford has dropped the Fiesta XR4 and has yet to announce any plans for a replacement. Fiat has said it will introduce the Abarth versions of the Punto and 500 later this year but hasn't yet confirmed on-sale dates.

So when the Polo GTI arrives down under its most direct rival will be the recently launched Renault Clio RS 200 Cup. The French model boasts more power (147.5kW) but can't match the Polo for torque (215Nm).

If the success and lineage of the Golf GTI are anything to go by, the Polo GTI could carve itself a handy niche.

AusScare
19-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Jw3MEPoIVeU&playnext_from=TL&videos=88vvyK4al2Q&feature=sub

Autocar review, basically says its a good car just not involving enough to be a GTI.

fourmo
19-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Front looks awesome but the rear (especially the taillights) look way too feminine.

The tail lights are way too large and round in my opinion.

A simple reflash will make the drive more engaging and appealing imho as well.

Grant
19-05-2010, 12:14 PM
from carsales:
Engine and Drivetrain: 3.5/5.0
Safety: 3.5/5.0

how they can give those ratings is beyond me. 1.4TSI and DSG that has power and economy plus the car has a 5 star crash rating.

break
19-05-2010, 01:07 PM
from carsales:

how they can give those ratings is beyond me. 1.4TSI and DSG that has power and economy plus the car has a 5 star crash rating.Again, carsales are a bunch of old men with beards that think the Hyundai i30 is the best car available in Australia for the last two years. Enough said.

noone
19-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Saw the new Polo today at the local dealership.

Front is nice, don't like the back lights (at least you could change them down the track with some aftermarket ones).

Factory ride height is a joke, feel like I could have fit my head between the wheel and the guard.

AusScare
19-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Factory ride height is a joke, feel like I could have fit my head between the wheel and the guard.

Guess theyre riding on 17s now, so bigger gap.

Zeke
19-05-2010, 10:14 PM
New Polo GTI already on VW UK website [URL="http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/polo-v/configure/855/engine-and-transmission"]at 18,850 GBP on road. Prediction is that it will hit OZ at around 32-33K On Road. It'll sell like hot cakes if it does .

pixl
20-05-2010, 11:56 AM
lol ... I must be the only one who likes the rear lights on this one. :D

I sat in one last Saturday. Wasn't too keen on the interior.

pog
20-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I received the Volkswagen Magazine - Winter Edition magazine yesterday. Great review on the Polo GTI along with images that capture what it's about.

I will say the tail lights look a tad weird, but an overall improvement over the 9N3 tailights if I had to compare.

I must quote this from the magazine, because this sums up the Polo GTI.

"The jurors further praised Volkswagens classy Polo for its stylish curves, mature manners, superb adjustable driving position and well weighted controls. The fact the Polo generated a maximum 5 star EURO NCAP crash test rating also added to its appeal."

Great car, thumbs up.

seangti
20-05-2010, 01:20 PM

I've seen the current one and I like the dash, looks classy, seats don't look too good, but it is the base model. GTI seats are obviously different so will wait to see how that works with changes that come to the GTI. Pictures look great.

Interesting that they are comparing it to the clio sport. I too was considering them but the cars are quite chalk and cheese when driving. One is very focused (clio), the other has the ability to put a smile on your face, but is also comfortable to drive daily. it's obvious were our money went

break
20-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Interesting that they are comparing it to the clio sport. I too was considering them but the cars are quite chalk and cheese when driving. One is very focused (clio), the other has the ability to put a smile on your face, but is also comfortable to drive daily. it's obvious were our money wentTo be honest, I really do think the Clio Sport should be the benchmark for all hot hatches.

If you wanted something for a comfortable daily drive then look at the 1.2TSI or 1.6TDI which both do it well. The GTI should be a drivers car, it should have plenty of weight and feedback in the steering, it should be a little harsh on the road thanks to uncompromised handling, it should have a temperment that begs to be pushed.

The previous gen Polo GTI (our gen) didn't achieve these things from the factory (but is a good base to do those things to), and it looks like this one doesn't either.

Don't get me wrong, still sounds brilliant for the price.... but its a 'peoples car' rather than the 'focused hot hatch' it should be like the Clio and XR4 are.

Zeke
20-05-2010, 02:31 PM
To be honest, I really do think the Clio Sport should be the benchmark for all hot hatches.

If you wanted something for a comfortable daily drive then look at the 1.2TSI or 1.6TDI which both do it well. The GTI should be a drivers car, it should have plenty of weight and feedback in the steering, it should be a little harsh on the road thanks to uncompromised handling, it should have a temperment that begs to be pushed.

The previous gen Polo GTI (our gen) didn't achieve these things from the factory (but is a good base to do those things to), and it looks like this one doesn't either.

Don't get me wrong, still sounds brilliant for the price.... but its a 'peoples car' rather than the 'focused hot hatch' it should be like the Clio and XR4 are.

The unfortunate reality for Renault with the RS Clio is that VWA will land the Polo GTI here for under 34K OR against 44K OR for the RSClio.
The PoloGTI will sell at a volume of 10 to 1 against the Clio at these prices. Thats not to say the RSClio is a bad car it's just horrendously overpriced in this country for what it is (a normally aspirated hot hatch that you have to ring the neck of to get the best out of it)

Zeke
20-05-2010, 03:09 PM
New Polo GTI at Nordschleife . Seriously chuckable and quick

YouTube - Volkswagen Polo GTI 2010 at Nordschleife (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DdgNFC0PQM&feature=related)

Red dust
20-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Agree, it looks quick!
Wonder if it will be in leather as well (optional).
Would have been nice to get in manual edition at least to bring the price down.

Steve88
20-05-2010, 07:31 PM
on car sales review says its a 1.6l prob just a typo

AusScare
20-05-2010, 08:29 PM
on car sales review says its a 1.6l prob just a typo

Yeah, it's definitely a 1.4.

Ralfi
21-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Just on the external appearnce;

I'm thinking the rear lights are the worst thing about it's exterior (makes me actually like the current round lights, when I never really did - they seem to give it more character). Also, the front lights don't give it its' own "face" compared to the new Golf GTI. At least with the current Polo GTI, the headlights look different.

Though the new Polo GTI does look better, body-wise, from more angles & appears to 'plant' itself better on the road.

Overall, the new model seems a better package, but with the price hike, no manual & no 5 door(?), it's looking like i'll stick with my current GTI for a while longer.
:)

Flighter
21-05-2010, 06:48 PM
from carsales:

how they can give those ratings is beyond me. 1.4TSI and DSG that has power and economy plus the car has a 5 star crash rating.

Right. They gave the same 3.5/5 rating to the Golf VI for safety (IIRC) and that sucker is literally one of the safest cars EuroNCAP has ever tested!

WJH
27-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Man I am haning for one of these!

Been drooling over the UK website for 2 weeks now.

Cant wait to wave good bye to this stupid Hilux.

Bozman_au
01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Been drooling over the UK website for 2 weeks now.

Hi!

I have noticed the price on UK website is quite high... Normal trim with sunroof and xenon light will cost you 21.5K pounds. Which is a lot of Australian dollars. I would say drive-away price in AU could be around 38K. Not so sweet. :-(

Cheers!
Dmitry

WJH
02-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi!

I have noticed the price on UK website is quite high... I would say drive-away price in AU could be around 38K. Not so sweet. :-(

Yes this is also of some concern, basically more then 33K is a deal breaker, Ill be getting stock standard Golf GTI with fleet discount at that price.

PassatB6
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
EVO review

VW Polo GTI road test review | evo (http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/252097/vw_polo_gti_review.html)

Carsales have given the last 2 World Cars of the Year 3.5/5.0 (Golf and Polo) This means they are either brave and independent thinkers or plain stupid.

DeanB
02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Carsales have given the last 2 World Cars of the Year 3.5/5.0 (Golf and Polo) This means they are either brave and independent thinkers or plain stupid.

You hit the nail on the head with your second idea ... they will gush over a Hyundai or Toyota and pick holes in the Euros over fuel type, etc while ignoring the **** manufacturing quality of the mass market asian cars.

WJH
03-06-2010, 09:03 AM
EVO review

VW Polo GTI road test review | evo (http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/252097/vw_polo_gti_review.html)

Thanks for the link mate.

Its interesting, thats the second time I have heard the rumour that a Manual Polo GTI may still be in the works.

Just wish I could remember the first souce....

philthy
03-06-2010, 09:59 AM
You can't just convert from pounds to aussie dollars to get a price. If you have a look at the relative prices, the polo GTI starts around 18000 pounds, where the golf GTI starts around 24000 pounds. So polo is 75% of the price of the golf in the UK.

-Phil

Damadar
08-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Anything over $32,000 drive away and I'll check out what Suzuki does with thier new 'Swift Sport' before I make up my mind. Would be hard to justify $5000 price hike from last model to this.

G-rig
08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Anything over $32,000 drive away and I'll check out what Suzuki does with thier new 'Swift Sport' before I make up my mind. Would be hard to justify $5000 price hike from last model to this.

The new model looks much better, so wil have to wait and see what price they come out with. Agree if it's too much you may as well look at something else, and getting into Golf territory anyway.

Should be much better than a swift, LOL.

PeterHBne
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I can't believe they would price it any more than 1 - 2 grand more. 3 tops. Even then it would be a hard sell.

There is NO WAY this thing will sell if they try to flog it for 33 - 36 grand.

Damadar
09-06-2010, 12:51 AM
I have found out the GTI Polo will arrive in Australia in October.

Buller_Scott
09-06-2010, 02:04 AM
I can't believe they would price it any more than 1 - 2 grand more. 3 tops. Even then it would be a hard sell.

There is NO WAY this thing will sell if they try to flog it for 33 - 36 grand.

i certainly hope, for VW's sake, that they understand that simple fact.

$33k plus on road costs? lol. the people who have a nice, big budget, will look at a golf gti, and the people who dont quite have the funds for $35k, or who can only just stretch to it, will wonder if they're really spending $35k wisely, on a polo.....

dont get me wrong, i love polos for sure. but more than $30k for the baby of the range? nah....

that'll push a lot of people away i reckon.

Cossor
26-06-2010, 12:45 PM
While power and torque have been increased for 1.4 motor (How did they do it!)
is torque still within the wide rev range as Golf 118TSI?
(118TSI torque is 240 @1750-4500)

Zeke
03-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Any more news on release date for Polo GTI

pologti18t
03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Any more news on release date for Polo GTI

If there was, someone would have posted it ;)

Allegiance
13-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Maybe drive.com.au is just assuming here, or they have let the cat out of the bag:

VOLKSWAGEN POLO GTI From about $31,000 when it arrives in December.
We've only driven this car internationally but its 132kW/250Nm 1.4-litre twincharged engine — it uses a supercharger and a turbo — impressed with its flexibility and power. Rorty soundtrack and seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox add to the appeal. Not yet rated.

Check near the bottom of this article: Renault Clio RS 200 Cup Trophee - www.drive.com.au (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=69974&vf=15)