PDA

View Full Version : Question: vibration when braking

SOHC
02-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Just went back home and drove my parent's Mk4, realise every time when stopping or slowing down the car the car somehow makes vibrations obviously when on smoothen surfaces of road, I am not sure if its caused by the rusty brakes?? coz the car rarely been driven... sitting in the car park mostly, or would it be the tiptronic box problem? I haven't got a safe enough chance to put in "Neutral" and stopping the car in order to test if its the gearbox. Its only happen since I came back one month back...

Cheers
Carlson

REDMKVGTI
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
My old car did that, turned out to be a warped disc, could be any number of things tho.

gpk_gti
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
have you checked the air pressure in the tyres?? or better still,how long has it sat? if its such a long time,could have a flat spot on the tyres?or could be rusty brakes if there was a great amount of build up!!

SOHC
02-04-2007, 11:37 PM
thanks guys for the info. just went for a wash and give a bit of checking out, but seems the disc is still straight & flat enough, and it seems it only happens when things heats up. My parents said they only driven it once during the month, and I did the tyre pressure just a week b4 I go...well, still better to check it out tomorrow. Also rust on disc should be gone since I driven out of it around 100km since back!! Hope I don't have to go to the mechanics...the car only got 13000 on clock!:(

Cheers
Carlson

mikinoz
03-04-2007, 10:45 AM
if it is an auto and your folks heat up the brakes they will warp and you cannt see it. Take it for a drive down a gradient and touch the brakes lightly and if the wheel starts to vibrate in your hands then in it is 90% likely it is warped disks.

pommy_golfer
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
that happend to me once on my mk2 and everyone said it was a warped disc, it wasnt. one of the nuts (that bolt the wheel on) was very loose. try tightening the bolts.....

SOHC
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
its actually the whole car shaking:(
just checked...no warpped front disc, no flat spot of tire, no loosen bolts, going to the fuel station later see what happen when tyres been pumped

syncro
03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
This is a longshot, but try cleaning the disc. I had this problem and bought some brake cleaning spray which cured it.

SOHC
03-04-2007, 04:47 PM
This is a longshot, but try cleaning the disc. I had this problem and bought some brake cleaning spray which cured it.

hehe ok will do that as soon as a find a shop which sells that:(
a lot of rust & dust deposits staying on the pads:(

REDMKVGTI
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Good vibration like that when braking still make me wonder if it's a warped disc, I couldn't see the fact that mine were warped but it still made the car tremble/vibrate.

There are a million other things it could be of course...

SOHC
04-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Good vibration like that when braking still make me wonder if it's a warped disc, I couldn't see the fact that mine were warped but it still made the car tremble/vibrate.

There are a million other things it could be of course...

unless my old man did something with it:D
it doesn't vibrate as much now...but still:(
took the wheels off gave it a bit of check seems nothing much happening to the disc though

DIDZ
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Warped discs - must be a Golf epidemic or something hey ?

I've had it too!!!

bexterity
29-04-2007, 03:03 PM
i just bought a mk4 golf the other day and its doing the same thing! im 99% sure its warped discs on the front :(

h100vw
29-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Warped discs would only appear during braking and possibly cause the brake pedal to appear 'long'/drop further.

Gavin

mikinoz
29-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Another thing may be a semi-seized piston, that is intermittently jaming on one side?