PDA

View Full Version : Heatshield Buzz

bombsquad21
01-04-2007, 08:30 AM
My 2.0 has the most annoying buzz from the exhaust at about 2500rpm, I know it's the heatshield but I'm not sure what area, does anyone have any ideas about this? I'm not too keen about snapping off numerous bolts looking for the source of noise.

Cheers Luke

Bora Sport
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Its almost definitely the heat shield around the downpipe from the exhaust manifold. I had mine tack welded back together and it lasted about 2 months. I took it back and he tried more welding and it lasted about 4 months. I took it back and this time he told his man to really give it the works. It lasted about 12 months.

The guy is a mate and he didn't charge me so when I went back last time he basically said it pretty hard to fix long term because of the different expansion rates of the metal in the down pipe and the aluminium shield. One of his workers and a long time VW Golf Mk1 and Mk2 owner suggested getting steel wool and jamming it between the 2 surfaces.

I can see how it would work but it looks pretty hard to get to.

So I am also pretty keen to hear other suggestions too.

Golfer
02-04-2007, 08:32 PM
This happened to mine and my mechanic took it out, put a big kink in it to return the tension to it, and put it back in. Seemed to do the trick, 'cause it's still quiet after 30,000K's now...

Cheers!
J:cool:HN