PDA

View Full Version : should I get a polo GTI?

joey_kev
31-03-2007, 12:52 PM
hi all,

I'm a newbie here.
I'm currently driving a honda civic 2002 gli sedan, the car will be sold very soon and I'm in the market of a new car.

my budget is about 25k, I don't mind a lil over but I'm trying to stay under 25k

my options are:
1. used New civic 06/07 bout 24k-ish
2. used Honda accord 05 bout 25k
3. used Golf 5 04/05 1.6L or 1.9L
4. brand spanking new Polo GTI.. a lil over my budget $26990 RRP + dealer delivery, etc

the only thing that I like from the polo gti, its VW (go european cars) and its turbocharged. I don't like the fact that is quite a small car and 2 doors

any opinion?
and how is the fuel consumption on the polo gti? cos I'm after something that is quite fuel efficient.

I've never owned a vw before, how much are the services? I always hear european cars are very expensive to maintain

maybe I could get a used Polo GTI with all options under 25k? I don't see many used polo gti around\

any help would be appreciated..thanks

static1800
31-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Go the Polo GTI! absolute little rocket ships!

joey_kev
31-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I haven't taken a test drive but it will be very soon...
I'm curious what is all the fuss about this lil rocket gti...lol

again the only thing that put me off is a 2 door and such a small car, I'm used with 4dr sedan all my life..

shaneth
31-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Mate its fantastic. Where are you from. I also used to drive larger 4 door cars and then move down to smaller 4 door cars and now im in the Polo and couldnt be ahppier. I guess it all depends on what you want with my car. As for me its only my wife and i in the car normally so 2 doors is fine. As for fuel ecconomy im on 9.7 and im not the nicest driver ;)

joey_kev
31-03-2007, 02:01 PM
9.7 / 100L does not seem to be fuel efficient at all.

what is the recommended fuel consumption? I couldn't find it on the site

and how much are the services? I'm a lil worried its going to cost me an arm and a leg for maintainance

shaneth
31-03-2007, 02:08 PM
My answers in Bold

9.7 / 100L does not seem to be fuel efficient at all.

No i didnt mean it to sounf very efficient. I drive it like i stole it probably 75% of the time :D also havent had much highway driving in that.
what is the recommended fuel consumption? I couldn't find it on the site

i think around 7.something
and how much are the services? I'm a lil worried its going to cost me an arm and a leg for maintainance

The recommended service is 15000kms so that should be longer than your civic (im guessing). As for price one oif the people that have owned them longer then me should know.

evorobin
31-03-2007, 06:02 PM
If you have to ask. Take one for a drive you might hate it, unlikely as that is...

peedman
31-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Did u want only a brand new car? Second hand polo gti's would go for 25k or possibly under.

Did you want only a fuel efficient car or do u want some oomph and fun? Should start from there.

Wand Weaver
31-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Official ADR81/01 consumption is 7.9L/100km. I'm now starting to get figures in that range if I avoid peak hour - you'll rarely see anything under 10L/100km in the first 1000km.

If you're environmentally inclined, the CO2 figure is 190g/km, and the car is Euro IV emissions compliant.

The 3dr/4dr/5dr thing is personal preference - depending on how often you have people in the back, a 3 door may be fine, or untenable.

If you're after efficiency, you might like to look at the TDI. 5 doors, too.

mitch_gti
31-03-2007, 09:58 PM
the TDI would be a darn good little car but from what i know with the VW dealer within the network in which i work, they are just as hard if not harder to get than the GTI.

the GTI has been a blast and im very much looking foward to spending more and more time in it.

Fuel economy can be quite average if you drive around on boost... and lets face it, its hard in the GTI to NOT be on boost. Such a tiny turbo on the little thing :)

i have been able to extract high high 8 litres per 100 in the city before. but i average between 10-13ltrs per 100 kms.

Traxover
31-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I brought a GTI in Jan 07 and luv it.
Currently just passed the 1500km's, I get around 7.8 - 8.9 around town on a highway trip at 110km it can use only approx 6.5. (gets better with more KM's on the clock)

Remember if you drive hard, it can be a thirsty little beast but ohh its great fun driving it hard. :)

Take one for a test drive, and know what you want in a car, if it fits your needs then go for it you will not regret it. I didn't ;)

Trax

evorobin
02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Spoke to a sales guy at the motorshow saturday that said they had no stock so were charging like a wounded bull on ones available. New shipment in 4 weeks apparently

beefa
03-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Thats pretty much the story I had. "We wont really discount the vehicles we have in stock.. the benefit to you is that you can have the vehicle now, or you can wait 3 months...."