PDA

View Full Version : Which Fuel Do You Use?

shaneth
31-03-2007, 12:45 PM
After the little discussion in the oil thread i thought i would start a new thread about it. After clocking up 7500kms on mine in 4 months i have tried just about all the 98ron fuels. Personally i prefer Caltex Vortex 98. What about you? PLease vote and leave a comment so others can benefit from your experiences. Sorry if i have missed a brand.

DaveMack
01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I used to use the Caltex (mainly because of the Supermarket discount) but I checked the Octane rating on Govt. site (can't remember which one now) and Caltex 98 is actually only 95 rated. So I switched to the BP Ultimate after checking other motoring forums online and I find it does give better performance all round (better mileage, better acceleration, etc.).

Anyway ... that's my 5 cents worth.

Kai
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I used to use the Caltex (mainly because of the Supermarket discount) but I checked the Octane rating on Govt. site (can't remember which one now) and Caltex 98 is actually only 95 rated. So I switched to the BP Ultimate after checking other motoring forums online and I find it does give better performance all round (better mileage, better acceleration, etc.).

Sure you didnt just look at vortex ?

Cause thats not 98 ron like most people thought.

Vortex 98 would have to be 98ron.

Wand Weaver
01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I pretty much always try to put BP Ultimate in the car. What I suspect is the case is that your ECU "adapts" to whatever fuel you use, and since all the 98 blends are slightly different in composition, your car won't be totally "happy" with a new blend initially, but after a while, it adapts and will be perfectly happy again. If anyone with technical knowledge of VWs could put whether this is the case for the record, that'd be good though - it's just a suspicion of mine.

I've put Synergy 8000 (Mobil) and V-Power in the car other than Ultimate - the GTI seemed to have taken a dislike to the V-Power. I won't be doing that again - I've also heard of a Golf TDI owner who's had problems with the Shell diesel.

DaveMack
02-04-2007, 12:29 AM

I found the website where I got those details and this is the chart published on it:

Unleaded Fuel Types Octane Rating
Unleaded ULP
(also known as Regular Unleaded) 91 Octane
Premium Unleaded PULP
(Caltex Premium Unleaded is called Vortex Gold or Ampol Gold) 95 Octane
Higher Octane Premium Unleaded Fuel
BP Higher Octane Fuel called BP Ultimate
Shell Higher Octane Fuel called Shell Optimax
Mobil Higher Octane Fuel called Synergy 8000 98 Octane

(Looks better in the table)

Check it out at:

http://motormouth.com.au/newsletters/1103.htm

Cheers

Timbo
02-04-2007, 07:20 AM
That looks like an old site -- especially judging from the prices! :o

Spec83
02-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I used to run BP Ultimate but now run on Shell V-Power... Ecconomy and power about the same the only difference is i no longer get as much carbon on the back of the car with Shell - was a pain in the ass with a white polo and black soot all over the back of it!!!

beefa
02-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Very interesting observation that... i have only racked up 600kms on mine (white), all done with BP Ultimate and already notice the black soot. I have never heard it to be related to a specific fuel brand, but thats something worth testing.

Shade
02-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I have run my GTI on Shell, Mobil and BP. Have noticed that it seems to run a little smoother on BP but other than that not much difference. So now i mainly use Shell V-Power because of the discount voucher, not game enough to try the 100ron stuff yet.

dodgey GTI
17-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I thought Octane rates were variable due to temp, air density and humidity. As a Motorcyclist aswell as GTi enthusiast, I can definately say that Vortex Gold is by far the best. The conditioners in the Shell and BP product, same fule different shop, tend to corrode sensitive parts on Euro cars and bikes so my suggestion is stay away! Forget the four cents off and find a Caltex, you will not be disappointed!

Timbo
17-04-2007, 04:38 PM
The only thing that is going to cause you a problem with any of the 95/98 RON fuels available in Australia is contamination, which -- if it occurs -- is usually due to poor management or maintenance at the service station.

It is also highly unlikely that you'll notice any significant difference in terms of power and/or economy between 95 and 98 in normal driving, although there should be a measurable power difference at WOT with the higher octane fuel. In my experience with a FI car such as the Pog, a much more influential factor is the ambient temperature. She lurves cold air :)

dodgey GTI
17-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Not wrong Timbo! I am doing my first Black Spur run on the weekend so early morning cold, dense air and my beast should be loving it. I will report on any difference between the run up and the run back when the air temp has picked up and the fog has lifted.

Stay Tuned.............

mitch_gti
17-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Shell V power for me.

Yes ambient temp makes a huge difference, drive in the pog on a 30degree day incomparison to a 16 degree night and Whoa :)

But then again i can feel a huge difference between bp ultimate and Vpower shell fuel

Timbo
18-04-2007, 07:30 AM
i can feel a huge difference between bp ultimate and Vpower shell fuel
You should try to measure it, then :confused:

dodgey GTI
18-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Mitch, I thought these two were the same fuel? If I am wrong please advise.

evorobin
18-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Strictly running V Power now :cool:

gtimk5
18-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Bugger! Want to try the Shell fuel. We only got Ultimate last June in Tassie. Last week it was $1.49 p.l.
Non of the others have gone 98 yet. Went up our mountain here later last night and it was bloody freezing! The GTi loved it though!

VWEAPN
18-04-2007, 10:14 PM
im not hearing much people using v power racing 100 oct. im using it all week every week. is it bad for the car, i heard it wears out the engine.
im filling it up in my MK4 GTI

Timbo
19-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Don't think it offers any benefit, unless you have a chip tune for it. Doubt it'll cause any damage.

Lima
21-04-2007, 08:15 PM
MINI = BP Ultimate (seems to give best exhaust pop and crackle on overrun)
GTI = Vortex98 (supporting our local servo)

PoloGTi
22-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Again i am in tassie only one option BP.