PDA

View Full Version : Inchcape Wty vs Extended Manufacturer's Wty

inzane
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the help in relation to my brake pads. Have sorted things out now

My Treg is about 3 years old and has done 32,000km on it (yeah, low K)

When I bought my car as a demo, I was offered an Inchcape Protected Premium. Basically, it offers:

- 3 years after Manuf's wty
- $2,000 per claim (unlimited claims over term of contract)
- Roadside assist

The catch is you got to service the car with an approved dealer (pretty much Denlo or Chatswood Classic from where i live) every 5,000km or 6 months and of course the value of each claim cannot exceed $2,000

When i took my car in for service yesterday, I was told by CCC that there's a factory extended wty I can consider:

- service every 10,000 or 12 months
- no limit on the claim
- $2,000 one off fee

Do you guys think it's worthwhile getting the VW extended wty?

I've heard some really bad things about the prices of parts. Friend's Golf V was quoted $13,000 to replace the a 4 year old DSG and another's friend's Golf V was quoted $5k to replace 4 year old air conditioner.

Thanks in advance for any input. I have 4 days to decide about this extended wty issue as I have to renew it before its expiry.

Transporter
06-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I know it is a tricky one but considering that the current Touareg is quite reliable, I will save myself $2000 or what ever amount it would be in a year time. But don't go by me.

Flipper Dog
06-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I would go back and talk about their VW extended warranty's servicing, the Touareg is recommended to be serviced 12 months or 15,000kms. Also find out if that is only a 12 month warranty from VW.
The Inchcape protection at $2000 per claim is a waste of time as anything worth braking on the Touareg is worth more than that.
If you are driving a 3 year old Touareg is it the facelift (build date 2007) than there is not much which have gone wrong with that model. The earlier (2004) models were problems.

noone
06-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Every 6 months? For what? They are going to make their money back very quickly charging you some hundreds every 6 months to take your car for a hard drive around the suburb. They also want you to Pay for the claims? $2000 every time you break something poorly made?

Our cars are reliable, if you have a Vag-com cable and can scan for faults and change your Oil every 5-8000 kms, what are they going to do above and beyond this?

I would never buy DSG for the same reason you already stated and the aircon issue should have been able to be resolved by an independent aircon shop for much less if you've got the time to find the right guy.

Its your money, personally I'd be spending it on a supercharger so when the T'rex brakes, atlest you can say you did something stupid to it first.

inzane
07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Its your money, personally I'd be spending it on a supercharger so when the T'rex brakes, atlest you can say you did something stupid to it first.

hehe... you are funny mate ;-)

inzane
07-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Mine is a pre-facelift model. It's been good so far, but who knows and I am intending to keep it for another 3 years. So... I am thinking... still thinking... got to sort this out by Monday.

Transporter
07-05-2010, 04:38 PM
If your driving would be the same in next 3 years you would do 64,000km I think that Touareg should last double of that distance without braking down with something.
It's something to remember when negotiating your next new car that extended warranty is best negotiated when you buying a car. IMO, the other extended warranties that limit you to certain amount and don't cover whole car are not worth the paper they are written on.

Guest1306
09-05-2010, 01:35 PM
The Volkswagen Warranty is a total of 6 years or 165,000 KM's. It is branded a Volkswagen Warranty and it is underwritten by Allianz. It is effectively a extend factory warranty, as it covers everything the factory one does, and there are no claim limits.

Also, you are only required to have it serviced and maintained according to the Volkswagen Service Schedule, which from memory on a Touareg is every 12 months or 15,ooo KM's at ANY authorised Volkswagen Service Centre. Usually that can be a Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Seat Service Centre.

It is good value for money.

apom
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
It is good value for money.

I gotta say I agree with the Sales Guy, $2K for another 3 years.... that's $2 a day (you cant even buy a coffee for that!) or less that 6 cents a km even on your ultra low mileage, Additionally, when things go wrong on these cars it can be very damn expensive. Go for it i say (i know i will when the R36 comes to the end of the warranty period). Additionally, being a factory warranty I assume it would be transferable and add value when you are trading it in or selling it on.

inzane
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi guys, thanks again for the opinion.

I went ahead and renewed the warranty. I paid $2769.23 in total and it's a 3 year 60,000km on top of the original one (it becomes 6 years and 160,000km). Yeah, it is quite a bit of investment there but nothing can replace a peace of mind... I don't want to have a heart attack everytime a warning lamp comes on!

Worth noting that they initially quoted me $3,600 for this insurance but with a bit of negotiation they brought it down to $2,769.23, which is still quite a bit higher than what the service guy told me. They said that they can do $2,000 for Golf/Jetta type of cars but not Touareg. I guess it makes sense.

Also, the car can be serviced by any MTA approved mechanics at regular intervals which is great.

Corey_R
11-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah - I think the Inchcape thing is a scam. They shouldn't be offering it when there is an official VW factory warranty which they are not promoting to their customers.