PDA

View Full Version : Polo R speculation/information thread

Corey_R
05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey Guys. Hope there isn't already a thread on this. Did a search but "Polo R" didn't bring up any specific threads.

WorldCarFans has posted an article on the upcoming Polo R (http://www.worldcarfans.com/110050425989/volkswagen-polo-r-version-due-in-2012).

The information in here is that:
- It will be released in 2012
- It will feature a turbo charged 1.6L motor
- It will have 156kw
- It will not be AWD as the PQ25 platform does not allow it.

So what do you think?

My personal thoughts are that if it doesn't have AWD and it only has 156kw, it'd have to have some other special reason to get that over the new Polo GTI with 132kw coming out supposedly at the end of this year :)

G-rig
05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah sounds pointless when you could retune a Polo GTI or an APR retuned Golf GTI would give you 189kW.

team_v
05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
No AWD = why bother?
As you so rightfully stated, the GTI will be close to this and with a tune will be over that limit, so why pay another 5-10k for an R badge and a different bodykit?

Corey_R
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
No AWD = why bother?
Well, you could say the same about the Scirocco R, yet there are many people here who would love one!

break
05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Lack of AWD isn't an issue, it's that low power that's the issue here.

TBH, the handling of the AWD VW models bore the living crap out me and are hardly worth the premium (particularly evident in the new Golf R)

G-rig
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
^I agree they are predominantly FWD anyway and still over steer as well as consume an extra ~10 to 12% drivetrain loss, plus the added weight of AWD takes some of the shine off.

team_v
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I understand that the VW AWD system isn't overly "enjoyable" however, i would want to be getting a bit more than 15kw and a new bodykit if i was upgrading from a Polo GTI to a Polo R.

The Polo R as yet fails to offer anything over a GTI for the money.
If it was AWD and/or came loaded to the hilt with options (xenon's, leather, RNS510, sunroof, lightweight wheels etc) then it could be a competitive option, however you are then getting up in price so you might consider an Imprezza or A3/Golf.

SidGTi
05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
No AWD like big brother Golf R? Pfft...why bother VW......

phaeton
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I speculate its a Europe only model as it is to close to Golf GTI in specs.

goodfella
05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah sounds pointless when you could retune a Polo GTI or an APR retuned Golf GTI would give you 189kW.

I dont think VW are in the business of selling cars just to have them reflashed by a third party... I am assuming this is yet another product pushed by the marketing dept to bolster up the new R Division. I agree AWD would be more a worthy proposition, but if the chassis design cannot support it, would anyone pay 40-50K for a jazzed up Polo, when you could buy a GTI for that dosh?

I concur with Phaeton, more than likely this is probably going to be a domestic market offering - something we will never see beyond magazines or youtube.

Stoney!
05-05-2010, 11:15 PM
If it had a 1.6 twin charge (super charge and turbo charged) then I might be interested, otherwise, not a chance. The 1.4tsi would have it all over it off the mark and in the lower rev range. What a joke.

Stoney!

End User
07-05-2010, 01:27 AM
If it had a 1.6 twin charge (super charge and turbo charged) then I might be interested, otherwise, not a chance. The 1.4tsi would have it all over it off the mark and in the lower rev range. What a joke.

Stoney!

The new GTi (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/pocket-rocket-baby-gti-revealed-20100218-ofc1.html) has the twin charger right?
I don't really see what else they could offer to warrant another performance version above the GTi. I think they made the mistake, from a business perspective in putting the twin charger in the GTi. They should've tweaked some more performance out of the current engine and called it an upgraded GTi, then branded the Twin Charger the R.

noone
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
They should put a 6 cyl and AWD into the Polo for the R, I'd love to have the sound the 32's with the flap removed kick out.

OilBurna
11-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Volkswagen 2011 Polo R - Super Volkswagen Polo R awaits | GoAuto (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/24B3A996FB731078CA25771E0081E414)

Evaded Motorsport
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
If as was speculated in that report it is around the $35 - $40k region I would certainly be interested.

156kw with the 1.6ltr Turbo engine should hopefully see up around 200kw I would imagine with a bit of fiddling. Would certainly make a fun, nimble car.

G-rig
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
200kw would be quite a bit in that car, how would you propose that kind of increase?

Not sure how long the a small motor would last with the heat being highly strung.

Not really many reasons to get one over a Polo GTI though if it's still no AWD, your just getting the badge and a spoiler kit.

I think it's pointless as you could get a Golf GTI for that money which is a better car and would have better grip.

team_v
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
If as was speculated in that report it is around the $35 - $40k region I would certainly be interested.

156kw with the 1.6ltr Turbo engine should hopefully see up around 200kw I would imagine with a bit of fiddling. Would certainly make a fun, nimble car.

Better off with a Pirelli/Mk6GTI for that price imho.

Corey_R
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Except you would have to go 2nd hand on either of those options to get one at that price.

team_v
11-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Except you would have to go 2nd hand on either of those options to get one at that price.

Nothing wrong with picking up a year or 2 old pirelli (already has a 2L with k04 and tuned)
Plus with on roads and all that jazz, the 35-40 will be closer to 40-45 which is mk6 GTI territory is it not?

I just don't see the Polo R being competitive, especially with the "practical" Australian buyer going for the more/bigger is better.

Corey_R
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Well... MK6 GTI's have onroads too.... (except for right now due to EOFY Sale). So they still don't overlap. Plus, they are still distinctly different cars. The new Polo GTI is looking to be about 250kg less than a Golf.

I just don't see the harm in a Polo R, just as long as it has some competitive reason to exist. At this stage, with the information provided, I don't know if that will be the case or not.

OilBurna
17-05-2010, 01:06 PM
3 and 5 door versions woo hoo

New Polo GTI to hatch a five-door (http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010/small-passenger/volkswagen/polo/new-polo-gti-to-hatch-a-fivedoor-19378)

Age drive also has an article - also saying DSG only is definite.

Corey_R
17-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Please note that Volkswagen Group Australia have no said ANYTHING about 3 door vs 5 door for the Australian release. In fact, to quote the article that you linked to:

The all-new Polo GTI threatens to take sales away from its bigger, more expensive brother, with strong speculation that it will be available in two body styles -- three-door and five-door -- when it goes on sale locally at the end of the year.

Given VGA's recent direction, you could almost certainly expect the Polo GTI in 5 door model. Whether they'll retain the 3 door model is another question...

TazzyVR6
17-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Why would they give it more than 156kW? It's like Porsche with the Cayman, it's made to fill a slot in the model lineup, why would they ever make a Polo that is more powerful than their volume selling car ie. Golf?

Buller_Scott
18-05-2010, 05:34 AM
it wont have more, but it'll be very easily tunable to more.

End User
18-05-2010, 08:42 AM
A manual box and twin turbos would differentiate it from the DSG Supercharged/Turbo GTi, but would still be tempting customers from buying the more expensive Golf.

G-rig
18-05-2010, 09:17 AM
No point over capitalising on any car otherwise you could be in a better car or the next one up the range etc.

Still think a retuned polo GTI would be plenty no?