PDA

View Full Version : Vr6 Gearbox removal

courtz1976-2dr
30-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Ok guys time to do some work.

I need to replace a vr6 gearbox, I have done it many times in mk1s so how much different is the vr6.

1. remove the speed cable and wrapup plug hole
2. i found it easier (with the light mk1) to roll the car along as removing the splined bolt6s for the inner cv with a long extension and a brace.(in out of gear etc)
Pull out cv and wrap. I have the triple square (8mm I think) will this suit the vr6 bolts???
Use stout wire with 2 hooks to hold the shafts up while moving - one hooks onto shaft the other onto top of gutter (above firewall)
3. remove starter
4. remove clutch cable
5 undo the shi**y little 10mm holding the tin on the gear box
6 push the car up onto ramps (like I say they're light)
7 oh yeah the reverse light switch + linkages
8. loosen four bolts atop gearbox and both gearbox mounts mount (just "crack the bolts")
9. crack four??? bolts holding gearbox to engine (long time since last time)
10 jack up box with wood and support with bar cross fenders with wood "spacers" + rope under engine
11. give all a good wiggle to loosen up gearbox
12. undo all bolts except biggies at rop of gearbox near engine
13 rip it out.

now have I forgotten anything????

What major differences with the vr6 apart from being a load heavier.

Thanks.

Golf Loon
30-03-2007, 09:15 PM
VR6 is lots heavier. And bigger.
Its hard to roll a VR6 around, you are better to get the front end up high on stands, having loosten`d the axle nuts and wheels and then basically support the engine and go down and out with the box. You will probably need to drop the subframe a bit on the box side, so dont support the car on the subframe. Dont let it crush you, they are bloody heavy. Defo a 2 man job.

courtz1976-2dr
30-03-2007, 09:57 PM
VR6 is lots heavier. And bigger.
Its hard to roll a VR6 around, you are better to get the front end up high on stands, having loosten`d the axle nuts and wheels and then basically support the engine and go down and out with the box. You will probably need to drop the subframe a bit on the box side, so dont support the car on the subframe. Dont let it crush you, they are bloody heavy. Defo a 2 man job.

Last thing I want to do is be crushed :) I wont let it if it doesn;t try :)

Any particulars with the cable shift etc???

do you know if the splined bolts are the same as on the mk1's I know this is a tool that most "call out" mechanics dont have. I wont be doing this at my place and will be traveling a long distance. So I need to take with me what I can that will cover anything not in the "standard" mechanics toolbox.

Any other tips to make this as smooth as possible - I will have to "hire a hand" and time is money.

Oh one other thing this car isn't moving itself onto stands etc, hence need to replace the gearbox.

Cheers and Regards,

courtz1976-2dr
31-03-2007, 12:46 AM
If anyone out there has the repair manual for this vehicle plleeeasse let me know, willing to pay cash for the few things that I need to know or post of
"removal of gearbox" section

I need to know if this 8mm triple square is going to do the job

Torque wrench settings etc.

I cant muck around with this swap - have one day starting at 11:35am when the plane gets into sydney. This includes getting the gearbox to the car, old one out new one in plus probably a clutch. I know I should probably be doing the timing chains but hell I think I am pushing the s^^t up a very steep hill with a very small stick to do what I have to already.

So wish me luck - no 5 attempt at getting myself a new(ish) golf after this - I am giving up :(

Cheers

Golf Loon
31-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Yeah you need the splined tool thingy.

What day are you doing this swop? Is it Tigars Car? Do you have a gearbox lined up?

I have a gearbox, a clutch kit, a car trailer and a workshop and I`m in Sydney. I`ll be happy to help out a watercooler, call me 0423 051737 if you like.

Matt

courtz1976-2dr
31-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah you need the splined tool thingy.

What day are you doing this swop? Is it Tigars Car? Do you have a gearbox lined up?

I have a gearbox, a clutch kit, a car trailer and a workshop and I`m in Sydney. I`ll be happy to help out a watercooler, call me 0423 051737 if you like.

Matt

Thanks for the offer Matt. I think I have it all sorted, gearbox, clutch kit (sachs) and swap. If I get stuck I might have to give you a bell.

Cheers and thanks again.

2dr

Golf Loon
01-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Ok. No worries. Have Fun.