PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK7 / MKVII Speculation / Pre-Release Information Thread

Pages : [1] 2

hooba
30-04-2010, 09:10 PM
The bump near the fuel filler is interesting.

Volkswagen Golf VII Test Mule Spotted During Testing | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/43163/2012-volkswagen-golf-vii-spied-in-development)

nau
30-04-2010, 09:41 PM
i really dont see any difference to current model another evolution of Vth body?

hooba
30-04-2010, 09:44 PM
It's a mule body, the track is obviously different hence the beep beep Barina wheel arch flares.

hcvo1
30-04-2010, 09:47 PM
hmmm... I dunno, why would they be testing a car with registered plates?

hooba
30-04-2010, 09:52 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/12/2010/04/43ea46ac480cd783069ca8cce8f5c6a9/340x.jpg

Corey_R
30-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Basically what happens is that they make a new chassis, and possibly new engine etc, they may even start constructing a new interior etc, but so it doesn't get too much unwanted attention, they dress it in the current body shape so that it will hopefully go unnoticed.

Many car manufacturers do this....

So no, the MKVII and the car that you see has no relation at all to the MK6 - other than the fact that they're both Golfs and it's currently wearing the MK6's body.

AdamD
19-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Auto Express have posted a couple of speculation renderings of the Golf VII (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/251851/seven_up_for_golf.html). The article doesn't mention a source for the images, so no idea how close to reality they are. Looks like a big Polo to me.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_742/car_photo_371017_25.jpg

elephino
20-05-2010, 09:13 AM
It's always fun picking what cars were used for speculation renderings. They're rarely truly original.

In this instance, the front is Polo lights, Golf VI grille and lower bumper. A bit of Mazda3 I think on the lower doors. New Jetta taillights. The exhaust looks familiar too. Looks like a Polo boot apart from those previously mentioned lights.

BBP
22-05-2010, 09:12 AM
It won't look like that.

VW will ensure that it is more easily differentiated from the Polo - upon which the rendering is heavily based.

If it does look like that, then expect to see A LOT of Giuliettas on the road. Now there's a beautiful hatch, especially from the rear.

hooba
22-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Some more crystal balling here 2013 Volkswagen Golf MKVII Rendered - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/2013_volkswagen_golf_mkvii_rendered-feature)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/05/2013volkswagengolfmkviirender2_cd_galler-1.jpg

Dubya
22-05-2010, 01:01 PM
So no, the MKVII and the car that you see has no relation at all to the MK6 - other than the fact that they're both Golfs and it's currently wearing the MK6's body.

Quite a claim. Whoever said this must be quite an authority.

But wait, it's the authoritative and ever well-informed Coreying with yet another sweeping claim regarding matters about which only a VW insider would have any knowledge, and in bold no less!

No relation at all? Absolutely none . . . apart from them both being Golfs.

But apart from that minor detail, them sharing the same manufacturer and DNA, no relationship at all. None.

Thanks for pointing that out, Corey.

BBP
22-05-2010, 04:17 PM

But wait, it's the authoritative and ever well-informed Coreying with yet another sweeping claim regarding matters about which only a VW insider would have any knowledge, and in bold no less!

But apart from that minor detail, them sharing the same manufacturer and DNA, no relationship at all. None.

DracZ ! Are you there ?

Coreying needs your help again.

Maverick
22-05-2010, 06:30 PM

It's well know what the Mark VII is a total platform replacement for the Golf (and the A3 along with Seat and Skoda derivatives). Volkswagen have mentioned this publicly quite a few times.

hoi polloi
23-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm more interested in the engine that will power the MkVII GTI...

(and the transmission choices I guess)

- Anthony.

Maverick
23-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm more interested in the engine that will power the MkVII GTI...

(and the transmission choices I guess)

- Anthony.

I think it's pretty safe to say there will be a 2l 4cyl low output turbo (or maybe a 1.8l), a 2l cyl high output turbo and maybe a 6 or 8cyl with a choice of manual or dsg gearboxes and of course fwd for the low output turbo and awd for the other two. They're not going to stray from a winning formula and the new platform is designed to take bigger engines but as this platform is used by Audi etc it's possible that Audi will go down the path of having a 6 or 8cyl S3 and VW will stick with smaller engines.

julesski
27-11-2010, 08:00 AM
I am interested to hear peoples opinion as to what "new stuff" to expect from the next Golf (Mk7), bearing in mind MK6 was perhaps Mk5.5 and was constrained by the automotive "sales freefall" and too high build costs occurring at the time.

Here are my thoughts:-

1. A slightly more radical (in a VW conservative sort of way) body shape, whilst retaining existing Golf cues

2. Further improvements to fuel efficiencies from the 1.4 TSI engines, perhaps down from 6.5 to @ 5 litres/100Km with CO2 reductions accordingly

3. Slightly larger by @ 10% (boot space and overall size) this has been alluded to by VW I believe

4. Keyless entry and push button start as standard - cheap to do and looks cool

5. Stop/Start technology option, possibly as standard

6. Large LCD display for radio and (Basic) Navigation as standard

7. Fold flat rear seats - finally

8. Hybrid options and full electric choice later

9. Rear view parking camera possibly as standard (would earn marks for safety)

10. Bluetooth standard across range

11. WIFI of some description (option only)

12. Completely redesigned new interior with a possible HUD (Head up Display) as an option

What do you think, I am sure everyone has an opinion and I guess the new Audi A3 (on the same floorpan it will be based) will be a good indicator if it does eventually arrive first?

My prediction would be a Launch at the German motor show in late 2012 and we will see new cars in NZ/Australia around April/May 2013.

Jules

STV4SYT
27-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Don't think they are going to be throwing al that stuff in as standard while people continue to put a tick in the options boxes reaping more revenue for VW.

peedman
27-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Im still waiting for my mk6 i dont want to hear stuff about mk7!!!

Does anyone recall the reason why the mk6 is so short lived???

Corey_R
27-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Because the MK6 = MK5.5
The MK5 was meant to last until now. Unfortunately the designers had full reign on it and didn't really consult production, meaning it took twice as long as was needed to build, thus meaning VW struggled to make any profit from it. The MK6 (MK5.5) was a facelift with consultation with production to optimise the process so that they could finally make some profit.

The current success of the MK6 has actually caused VW to let it run for longer than initially planned. But as the Audi A3 is getting rather long in the tooth, the MK7 (same platform as A3) can't be pushed back too much.

rs73
27-11-2010, 11:52 AM
well looking at those speculation photos, when I looked at the taillights, Audi comes to mind...
they really look like Audi rear ends....

REXman
27-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Some more crystal balling here 2013 Volkswagen Golf MKVII Rendered - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/2013_volkswagen_golf_mkvii_rendered-feature)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/05/2013volkswagengolfmkviirender2_cd_galler-1.jpg

I sort of like that. No, I do like that. Keeping in line with the VW soft car conservative design but nice none the less.

REXman
27-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Im still waiting for my mk6 i dont want to hear stuff about mk7!!!

HAHAH I feel ya bud!! I havent even received my MKVI R and I ordered on release day!! And we are already talking about a new model!! Awesome. Should have bought an S2000,RX8 or a BMW or something, man those shapes last for ages!! I have not received my car yet and we have a new shape its so funny.

But tbh I was always one who hated the constant updates, and this no doubt I am not in love with, but after waiting this long for a car, I really (almost) dont care. Anyone who has done the wait will know what I mean. But As we all are in the same boat, I'll probably buy the MKVIII if the MKVI proves to be a good car.

As for the updates possible speculation:

I think the next R will have that 250KW motor from the new RS3 coming out, maybe detuned again.

I do believe the picture is very accurate-ish (opinion) also.

I hope it has an even nicer interior (this is why I am buying a GOLF)

Updated HALDEX, maybe even proper AWD!! Like STI or EVO even..

Even more aggressive would be nice, since the shapes of the EVO has just been murdered now.. so I think there is a market there..

It will be great to find out and enjoy the ride all over again

Rob Burns
27-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Here are my thoughts:-

1. A slightly more radical (in a VW conservative sort of way) body shape, whilst retaining existing Golf cues

Can't see it happening. The car has to appeal to everyone to sell so will be as non-radical as possible.

2. Further improvements to fuel efficiencies from the 1.4 TSI engines, perhaps down from 6.5 to @ 5 litres/100Km with CO2 reductions accordingly

The 1.2 tsi is at 4.9l/100km so I can't see them getting the twin charged down that far. Maybe with bluemotion but it certainly won't be standard as it would put the entry level price too high.

4. Keyless entry and push button start as standard - cheap to do and looks cool

Keyless entry is already standard. Push button start is only on the top level Touareg for a reason. doubt it's cheap. I wouldn't be surprised to see the cars going to the Passat style start though.

5. Stop/Start technology option, possibly as standard

Will be in bluemotion. No chance it will be standard, at least for the time being. Maybe mk8.

6. Large LCD display for radio and (Basic) Navigation as standard

9. Rear view parking camera possibly as standard (would earn marks for safety)

It's something like $2500 to option up to the current sat nav. I'm already seeing people pay $21k for a 1.2 Golf and put 6k in options into it. Why would VW make that standard and increase the pricing when they can list the entry price of the car low to get people in the door?

10. Bluetooth standard across range

I completely agree with this one. Can't see it happening though.

11. WIFI of some description (option only)

12. Completely redesigned new interior with a possible HUD (Head up Display) as an option

Don't see this in any other VW. Not sure why they would release it in the Golf first when they have higher level cars they can release it in first. Do Audi or even Bentley have these as options/standard?

Buller_Scott
27-11-2010, 11:28 PM
oh my god.....

really?

another speculation / b7tch thread?

just do me a favor, MK 7 soon-to-be owners.... dont get cocky about purchasing .:R's when you talk to people on forums...

i've seen this before:
guy A: ''you're tightass because you cant afford what i have"
guy B: "i'm looking at other alternatives"
guy A: "basically, you're cheap" [this part is funny, because guy A doesnt know that his car cost less than the MODS done to guy B's cummins diesel... yes. just mods]
guy C: "yeah, guy A!!!!! you proved him!!!!!"

.... i love this forum. it's just sad to see tools on mediocre wages, act like supremacists for no really good reason.

dave_r
28-11-2010, 08:25 AM
.... i love this forum. it's just sad to see tools on mediocre wages, act like supremacists for no really good reason.
It isn't unique to this place mate, or even the internet! Some people just feel the need to act like they're better than you based on material or perceived status. It's farked up but sucks to be them!

simonm
28-11-2010, 08:26 AM
It isn't unique to this place mate, or even the internet! Some people just feel the need to act like they're better than you based on material or perceived status. It's farked up but sucks to be them!

Yeah. And that Guy B is a real tosser, anyway. :-D

pkjames
28-11-2010, 02:41 PM
i thought the V and VI are basically same platform where the VII would be a complete new design.

Corey_R
28-11-2010, 03:07 PM
well, that's what we've already said several times in this thread....

REXman
28-11-2010, 06:35 PM
well, that's what we've already said several times in this thread....

Just a couple. :)

hooba
23-01-2011, 12:22 PM
According to this German auto car article following an interview with Winterkorn.

Golf VII kommt schon Ende 2012 (http://www.automobilwoche.de/article/20110122/REPOSITORY/110129988/1056/REPOSITORY/golf-vii-kommt-schon-ende-2012)

Corey - apologies for the new thread, I did my best to search for "Mk7" but it kept coming back with no results.

Souljak
23-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I hope they keep the same platform and simply evolve the mk6 chassis into the mk7. I mean the mk5 looks as good today on the road as it did 4 or 5 years ago. Besides, if the mk7 is a year or so away from being shown theirs still (I presume 6 month to a year) before we see them on the car lots of Australia. Just my thoughts anyway

Corey_R
23-01-2011, 01:35 PM
It's not the same platform.

The PQ35 platform has been used since 2003 in the MKV Golf, and also the 2nd generation Audi A3.
So after 8+ years, a replacement is well and truely due...

hooba
23-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I hope they keep the same platform and simply evolve the mk6 chassis into the mk7. I mean the mk5 looks as good today on the road as it did 4 or 5 years ago. Besides, if the mk7 is a year or so away from being shown theirs still (I presume 6 month to a year) before we see them on the car lots of Australia. Just my thoughts anyway

You don't read German do you? ;) Neither do I, however Google translator tells me that the article said: "The Golf VII is the first model of the Volkswagen brand, which is based on the modular transverse matrix (MQB)."

So yes, new platform. :cool:

MiiLos
23-01-2011, 07:58 PM
VW cant possibly be thinking of rolling out the MK7 in 2012 can they?

From my understanding Golf's have a 6 year lifespan on average before the new model is brought out!? The MK6 only came out late 09', therefore its barely been out for over a year..

Im looking to place an order on a MK6 GTI this month, would be shattered (and feel ripped off) to see a MK7 on the roads as early as 2012 :|

markwid
23-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Im looking to place an order on a MK6 GTI this month, would be shattered (and feel ripped off) to see a MK7 on the roads as early as 2012 :|

Nothing to worry about. Even if mk7 gets released in 2012 (unlikely I think), we won't see the GTI version right off the bat.

Corey_R
23-01-2011, 09:39 PM
VW cant possibly be thinking of rolling out the MK7 in 2012 can they?

From my understanding Golf's have a 6 year lifespan on average before the new model is brought out!? The MK6 only came out late 09', therefore its barely been out for over a year..

You're basically correct. MKV had general availability in 2004. Then it had a facelift called the MK6. Yes, it was a MAJOR facelift, but it's really only a MK5.5. The MK7 is actually being DELAYED due to how well the MK6 is selling...

The news in this thread isn't really new and has been known for almost 2 years now - maybe more.

hooba
24-01-2011, 08:39 PM
The news in this thread isn't really new and has been known for almost 2 years now - maybe more.

Winterkorn just confirmed that they are looking at an end of 2012 release now for the Mk7, ahead of the previous 2013 deadline. That's news. :cool:

As for us in Australia, I'm guessing that it's unlikely that we will see it until 2013.

MiiLos
24-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Is it worth the to order a MY11.5 MK6 now? Or wait it out for the MK7?

My reasoning is that ill be waiting for the GTI up to 5 months due to a few extras that I want.. I'll only have it 1.5 years before the new model is out.. Or is the GTI a lesser wait then the R's are? Sorry a bit off topic..

Corey_R
24-01-2011, 09:16 PM
If you're waiting 5 months for a GTI now, then you'll be waiting 2 years for the MK7 to get here, maybe 3 years for the MK7 GTI, and then 3 years and 5 months for yours to actually arrive ;)
Of course, by that point, if you had ONLY WAITED 8 MONTHS LONGER, you could have got the MK7 R...

Or you could have your MK6 GTI now (well, in 5 months later), and then trade that in when it's 4 years old for a MK7 R... :D

SmutsGTI
24-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Milos,

Buy the car now. Its still speculation as to when it will be released. Even if it is 2012 we will be waiting another 3 - 6 months after that before we really see them in useable numbers and the GTI always comes out another few months after that. Could be 2013 before you receive your new GTI and in fact may coincide with the new Polo GTI owners receiving theirs (sorry guys couldn't resist).

Smuts

markwid
24-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Is it worth the to order a MY11.5 MK6 now? Or wait it out for the MK7?
What Corey said above...A mk7 GTI is likely to be 3 years out -> willing to wait that long?

MiiLos
24-01-2011, 09:25 PM
haha very good reasoning there!

i think i will take that advice and continue with my order on the GTI then, and very likely trade in for MK7 R when it hits the Aussie shores!

my first car is my current car (05 TDI) and i absolutely love it, could only step up to a high end Audi or Mercedes from this point.

there are just so many little things that make you appreciate the car so much, others dont know what the're missing :P i just dont get it it when i see people driving around Hyundai's and Mazdas haha, even the entry Polo is of higher quality and style.. thats concludes my 'thinking out loud' segment for tonight :P

markwid
24-01-2011, 09:32 PM
i think i will take that advice and continue with my order on the GTI then, and very likely trade in for MK7 R when it hits the Aussie shores!
Good call. Don't forget, even when mk7 R hits OZ shores, to get a custom order, it may take another 12 months wait...:-)

MiiLos
24-01-2011, 09:35 PM
hmm these long waiting times i find are ridiculous.. would take less time to take a holiday in germany for the time its built and ship it in personally haha :)

pologti18t
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Looks like a late 2012 release as a 2013 model.

2013 Volkswagen Golf arriving late next year: report | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/101530/2013-volkswagen-golf-arriving-late-next-year-report/)

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I'd take anything caradvice say with a grain of salt these days. Most of the time they're simply printing overseas articles with out any relevance or updating for Australia.

pologti18t
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd take anything caradvice say with a grain of salt these days. Most of the time they're simply printing overseas articles with out any relevance or updating for Australia.

How exactly would this story require "updating" for Australia?

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Some input from VGA one when we're likely to see it ;)
Plus variants such as the Bluemotion electric etc, whether they're even going to be considered for our market.

pologti18t
01-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Some input from VGA one when we're likely to see it ;)
Plus variants such as the Bluemotion electric etc, whether they're even going to be considered for our market.

I thought more people were interested in the timing rather than the model mix.
If a later 2012 release for Europe is on the cards you would expect regular Golf variants to flow through to Australia by mid 2013 at the latest.

Ideo
01-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe R owners who order in 11 will see their cars once this one comes out :P

ratedr
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't place a fresh order for a gti or r now with 8-9 month wait... Buy a 2nd hand mk5 gti or r32 and wait the 2 years until next r is released... Resale of mk6 will be hit hard because it is an old platform...

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
If the MK7 starts being manufactured end of 2012 for a 2013 european release, then Australia may not get the car until 2nd half of 2013.
If it then takes 9 months for the GTI to come out, and another 9 months for the R to come out (as it did with the MK6), and then you will probably need to do a factory order and wait 4 months - you won't get your MK7 GTI delivered until mid 2014 and R delivered until early 2015...

Ideo
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
If the MK7 starts being manufactured end of 2012 for a 2013 european release, then Australia may not get the car until 2nd half of 2013.
If it then takes 9 months for the GTI to come out, and another 9 months for the R to come out (as it did with the MK6), and then you will probably need to do a factory order and wait 4 months - you won't get your MK7 GTI delivered until mid 2014 and R delivered until early 2015...

So, about when my lease is up then?

Awesome :D

Captain Courteous
29-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Have any of you guys seen this?

2013 VW Golf GTI and Golf R Mk7 Test Mules Scooped in Germany - Carscoop (http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/06/2013-vw-golf-gti-and-golf-r-mk7-test.html)

Since the Mk6 was only just introduced in 2009, I didn't think VW would be releasing a newer shape for a while (based on how long Mk3, 4 & 5 were on the market... It's two years early!)

DoggieHowser
29-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Ohno. Here we go again abt how 6 is really just 5.5 cos the 5 was too expensive to build ;)

Captain Courteous
29-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

XTC838
29-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Maybe I should hold back on my acquisition and wait for the Mark 7.....

Corey_R
29-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Search is your friend ;)
I merged your thread here. And yes, what DoggieHowser said :)

team_v
29-06-2011, 11:20 AM
It is probably just product testing.

The Mk6 was the facelifted Mk5 so the Mk7 will be a complete redesign.
Also bear in mind that if it is released in 2013 we won't get them here until 2014 so that gives the Mk6 a 4-5 year life cycle.

DoggieHowser
29-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Say what you like about the cost of building the V vs the VI, there can't be any denying the VI interior looks better built. I'd argue that comparing the conditions of a 2 year old VI vs the V when it was 2 years old actually show the VIs in much better shape. Especially the buttons and switches. It's one of the reasons why I can't get myself to get a scirocco. The interior looks like a carbon copy of the V and next to the VI, it just doesn't feel special. Considering that the owner is more likely to be inside the car than out, I feel the interior has to feel special.

And I'd argue the addition of the XDS and ACC make for a more agile and responsive car.

As for looks, I guess it's a matter of preference. I will say this for the V, after a good polish, it still looks new on the outside. Not just cos it's shiny. But that it's design hasn't aged. I can't say this for most other cars. The E46s made the E36s look positively ancient. And the E92s had the same effect on the 46s.

Ps the new Gold VII is based off the same platform as the A3 right? Has that model been released? I mean dimensions or artist impressions? Might give us a better idea of what the VII might be like vs a test mule dressed like the VI.

Corey_R
29-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Ps the new Gold VII is based off the same platform as the A3 right? Has that model been released? I mean dimensions or artist impressions? Might give us a better idea of what the VII might be like vs a test mule dressed like the VI.

The Golf and A3 (and Jetta and TT and several other models) have always been based off the same platform. That won't be any different with the MK7 Golf. Originally the MK7 Golf was going to launch before the A3, but since the MK6 has been selling so well, apparently the A3 will launch first - but there won't be too much in it I think.

Thus far we've not seen any "final phtoos" of the new A3 either...

MkVIGTI
29-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Quad pipe for the Mk7 R? No more centrally mounted system it seems.

Zebby
29-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Vorschau VW Golf GTI/R VII (2013) - Bilder - autobild.de (http://www.autobild.de/bilder/vorschau-vw-golf-gti-r-vii-2013--1823276.html#bild11|ref=http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vorschau-vw-golf-gti-r-vii-2013--1823376.html)

Interesting pic of the dials, pointing downwards. Wonder if it is only going to be GTI/R, or across the range. Maybe a way of differentiating the interior from the lesser models.

DoggieHowser
29-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Vorschau VW Golf GTI/R VII (2013) - Bilder - autobild.de (http://www.autobild.de/bilder/vorschau-vw-golf-gti-r-vii-2013--1823276.html#bild11|ref=http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vorschau-vw-golf-gti-r-vii-2013--1823376.html)

Interesting pic of the dials, pointing downwards. Wonder if it is only going to be GTI/R, or across the range. Maybe a way of differentiating the interior from the lesser models.

Hmm no temp gauge? I wonder if it's cos they'll add this Focus RS-esque cluster of gauges like in the new beetle.

http://carmodificationstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Interior-of-2012-Volkswagen-Beetle.jpg

Wonder if the Beetle is based off the Mk6 or 7 platform. The cluster of dials appeal to the ricer in me :)

Corey_R
29-06-2011, 01:26 PM
lol yeah... cause the Focus RS did that first... not even in the right century....

DoggieHowser
29-06-2011, 02:06 PM
They did say this ain't yr gramps' beetle :)

I'd even go so far as to say the new beetle looks like a funkier version of the TT.

triode12
29-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Say what you like about the cost of building the V vs the VI, there can't be any denying the VI interior looks better built. I'd argue that comparing the conditions of a 2 year old VI vs the V when it was 2 years old actually show the VIs in much better shape. Especially the buttons and switches. It's one of the reasons why I can't get myself to get a scirocco. The interior looks like a carbon copy of the V and next to the VI, it just doesn't feel special. Considering that the owner is more likely to be inside the car than out, I feel the interior has to feel special.

Actually, the MkVI interior has more in common with the Scirocco (pre 2010) esp the aircon vents. Post 2010 Sciroccos have the been fitted with the same (IMO ugly and less intituitive) MKVI steering wheel and centre console. So the upcoming Scirocco R will have almost the same interior as the MkVIs.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/vwsciroccor2010interiorimg_9jpgw510-1.jpg

I beg to disagree with the statement that the VI interior is better built. I personally think that the understated austere look of the MkV interior will outlast the more trendy looking interior of the mkVI over the longer term. Having compared both interiors I find the plastics in the MKV to be of a higher quality over the MKVI. Don't be fooled by abundance of satin chrome accents in the MKVI interior - there is less rubberised (expensive) dash area in the mkVI - a credit to the MKVI engineers in keeping costs down but not letting it show.

The early Mk V Golfs had satin chrome glove box handles and chromed centre chubby hole lids which were removed in the late 07 update.

Corey_R
29-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Lets leave the MKV vs MK6 debates to the other 1,831 threads that cover that. Cheers :)

robbie
29-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Does anyone whether they are going to ever make another R32 again.

Corey_R
29-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Unlikely... even BMW M have given up on NA engines. With further pressure globally from emissions reductions and CAFE type standards, it makes it too difficult.

DoggieHowser
29-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Have you guys sat in a Roc before? It's got some silver accents not in my MkV GTI but the dashboard and MFD all look virtually identical.

Ps I'm not complaining abt the austerity in the V. Just that the buttons and rubbery bits sure damage easily.

Real life experience.

triode12
29-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Have you guys sat in a Roc before? It's got some silver accents not in my MkV GTI but the dashboard and MFD all look virtually identical.

Ps I'm not complaining abt the austerity in the V. Just that the buttons and rubbery bits sure damage easily.

Real life experience.

The Roccos (2010 update) coming to Oz will have almost the same interior as the MkVI - including speedo/odometer binnacle. And yes, pre 2010 and post 2010 Roccos had the silver accented air vents.

The early MkV buttons (05/06) suffered from peeling . A friend on the other forum got the dealer to replace his even though the car was out of warranty - apparently there is a recall on them. Check with your dealer.

DoggieHowser
29-06-2011, 05:33 PM
We did get a replacement but they also flaked off.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/attachmentphpattachmentid269934stc1d1242-1.jpg

noice!!

triode12
29-06-2011, 07:23 PM
We did get a replacement but they also flaked off.

They probably used old stock rather than new ones. Get them to replace them again. I haven't had any issues with the ones on my 07 GT and 09 GTI.

tobyobi
29-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Hmm no temp gauge?
Temperature gauge is in the bottom left corner of the picture.

It also better be a GTD based on the redline ;)

MkVIGTI
30-06-2011, 10:45 AM
It also better be a GTD based on the redline ;)

It's definitely a petrol as the GTI redlines around 6200rpm.

Corey_R
30-06-2011, 10:51 AM
It's definitely a petrol as the GTI redlines around 6200rpm.

You're clearly confused about which image they were talking about :)
Keep in mind that when someone replies to someone, especially with a quote, you should follow that back to the original post where you would find the link to this image:
http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/8/0/4/3/6/4/Erlkoenig-VW-Golf-VII-2012-Cockpit-560x373-cda99db5221d4244.jpg

pologti18t
30-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Always thought the scirocco dash was the same as the EOS

http://www.latestautoreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2012-Volkswagen-Eos-Dashboard.jpg

hentaiboy
30-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Always thought the scirocco dash was the same as the EOS

Yep

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/75/172258475_full.jpg

SilvrFoxX
04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
hmmm just another look at what might be coming

2013 Volkswagen Golf GTI and Golf R spy shots | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/124992/2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-and-golf-r-spy-shots/)

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/06/2013-vw-golf-gti-and-golf-r-mk7-test.html

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/VolkswagenGolfGTI9-1.jpg

hentaiboy
13-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Golf MK7 to Appear 2012

Source: Auto Express

Look what Auto Express's spies have caught driving off in Germany! These are the pictures that prove the Volkswagen Golf remains on target for a 2012 launch.

While the heavily disguised machine doesn't appear to give much away in terms of design and detail, we can reveal that under the skin dramatic changes have been made - hence the car's long absence from our news pages.

This mule, testing near VW's Wolfsburg HQ, is the first seen by Auto Express since mid-2010. According to our sources, the car’s platform has been completely redesigned.

What's more, the wheelbase of the car has been lengthened, and a new platform architecture, dubbed "MQB" introduced. This arrangement is far more versatile than the previous chassis, used by the Mk VI Golf.

That means drivers can expect the launch of this car to spawn a huge family of Golf based cars over the coming years, including new versions of the Tiguan, Golf Plus and Scirocco.

The new model will have a larger boot than rivals likethe Ford Focus and Renault Megane, and is promising more legroom in the rear.

Since we last saw the newcomer, there are new engines and high tech options too.

A wide range of TSI supercharged and turbocharged editions will be available, including a flagship 300bhp 2.0-litre unit, and an efficient 1.2-litre 65bhp engine capable of returning 60mpg.

On top of this, Volkwagen also plans a 100mpg plug-in hybrid, as well as an all-electric version, called the e_Bluemotion.

Diesel engines will include 1.6 and 2.0-litre TDI offerings. As standard, entry-level cars will drive the front wheels through a six speed manual gearbox, while flagship machines are tipped to offer the firm's seven-speed DSG semi automatic gearbox. Four wheel drive will be available on the most powerful cars.

And that's not all, the new Golf promises class leading technology too. If you look closey at our shots, you will see a third lense in the centre of the front bumper. This new "eye" will offer drivers automatic speed limit warnings, plus link to the car's new "lane keep" driver assistance systems.

Inside, an advanced trip computuer is also expected to offer Web access, as well as the very latest satellite navigation and phone connectivity systems.

According to our reports, the new Golf is primed to appear at the Geneva Motor show in March2012, before going on sale in October that year.

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_901/car_photo_450664_25.jpg
http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_901/car_photo_450670_25.jpg

MkVIGTI
13-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Speed limit recognition... Wonder if this will make it to Oz spec Golfs

elephino
13-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm not so sure that it's a year out from launch as I would have expected proper cars with disguises at that stage rather than old bodyshell mules.

Corey_R
13-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I highly doubt it. BMW have it on their 7 Series (from the previous version). Firstly, it took them about an extra 2 years to get here. But then after 6 months they had to disable the feature on the cars which had it.

From my memory of the article, there are two main issues
1) Australia's "electronic maps" are pretty bad in their accuracy and details and frequency of updates. Whilst the "retail portable GPS units" get frequent updates, the car manufacturers seem to be treated as 2nd tier citizens and get old data (as every VW owner with an RNS-510 knows). So the GPS speed limits were not accurate enough (RNS510 users don't even get the speed limits yet! boo).
2) Australia's "speed limit signs" are not consistent with international standards, especially things such as school zones.

BMW tried for two years to get it accurate, and thought they were safe to launch, and then had to retract the feature. So I can't see it being on a Golf in Australia, even if it's on a Golf in Europe.

WhiteJames
15-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Artist's impression of the new Mark 7 Golf. A case of evolution, rather than revolution and only 12 months away from release in Europe:

New Golf gets sportier look - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258201/)

Cheers.
WJ

MiiLos
15-07-2011, 03:29 PM
the article looks good!

XTC838
15-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Anyone holding back their purchase to wait for this new generation?

Corey_R
15-07-2011, 04:12 PM
The most recent article mentions that it'll be on sale in Europe in October 2012.
If we're lucky enough to have it in Australia within 5 months like the MK6, that means March 2013.
If the GTI comes out 6 months later like the MK6, then September 2013.
If the R comes out another 9 months later like the MK6, then that means June 2014.

Add an additional 6 months to all of these dates if you'd actually like to "order a specific colour and options".
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, I can't imagine anyone who actually needs a car now, waiting a minimum of 20 months to 41 months to get a MK7 instead of a MK6 (depending on model, and configuration). Hell... most new car buyers only keep their car for ~36 months as it is...

Biodif
15-07-2011, 07:05 PM
The most recent article mentions that it'll be on sale in Europe in October 2012.
If we're lucky enough to have it in Australia within 5 months like the MK6, that means March 2013.
If the GTI comes out 6 months later like the MK6, then September 2013.
If the R comes out another 9 months later like the MK6, then that means June 2014.

Add an additional 6 months to all of these dates if you'd actually like to "order a specific colour and options".
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, I can't imagine anyone who actually needs a car now, waiting a minimum of 20 months to 41 months to get a MK7 instead of a MK6 (depending on model, and configuration). Hell... most new car buyers only keep their car for ~36 months as it is...

Well said Corey. I'm finding the 6 - 7 month wait for my 'R' unbearable, I think my head would explode waiting for the Mk 7 version.

chopper
15-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Funnily enough... I worked out a very similar date the other day!

June 2014 will be exactly 3 years since I picked up my GTI... and it will be time for a new one!

Who knows... I like my GTI so much, I might even get an "R" this time!

WhiteJames
16-07-2011, 07:26 PM
The clay model depicted in the Auto Express.co.uk article was actually a model caught by accident in a Volkswagen promo video or similar, but has since been deleted by VW. The actual design of the Mark 7 should be finalised mid 2011, in other words, about now. The wider track, lower seating and lower roof-line should make a improvement in handling of the new Mark 7 Golf giving it a lower centre of gravity versus the older MKV-MKVI version. See Auto Express and Road & Track links for pics.

VW Golf MkVII exclusive pics | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/243025/vw_golf_mkvii_exclusive_pics.html)

2013 Volkswagen Golf MKVII Rendered - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/2013_volkswagen_golf_mkvii_rendered-feature)

Sorry if these have been posted before in this thread. Volkswagen will probably leak a few more images of the Mark 7 Golf now that the new BMW 120i and Ford Focus are hitting the market. The BMW 128i with 2.0 litre turbo sounds good on paper, but appears to have be hit a second time with the ugly stick.

Cheers.
WJ

Corey_R
17-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Another article:
World Car Fans - Next-generation Mk7 Golf will get a sleeker design - report (http://www.worldcarfans.com/111071534978/next-generation-mk7-golf-will-get-a-sleeker-design---report)

phaeton
17-07-2011, 08:47 AM
That clay model may have cues but don't think its the final product look to September (Frankfurt Show) for the up!/Lupo and possible a design concept that will give cues.

MkVIGTI
19-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Last week's carsguide also had a rendered picture of the Golf 7. They also said that it will only get released in late 2013/early 2014

PhillipAudiDealer
19-07-2011, 01:30 PM
That clay model may have cues but don't think its the final product look to September (Frankfurt Show) for the up!/Lupo and possible a design concept that will give cues.

Really Will be at Frankfurt??? Awesome I will be there.. I will have camera ready in hand People..

WhiteJames
19-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Fresh info courtesy of Autocar.co.uk:

New Mark 7 Golf GTI to have 220hp, electronically controlled mechanical LSD, Audi type valve lift on the EA888.
Golf R will receive the EA888 and mechanical LSD (albeit electronically controlled).

Power boost for next-gen GTI - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258268/)

Hopefully, the wider track of the new Mark 7 Golf will include Revo-knuckle / Perfo-Hub at the front in addition to mechanical LSD.
Makes sense if Volkswagen are going to differentiate the sedan body type -v- s door body type a'la Renault Megane RS250 with wider front tracks & Perfo-Hub/Revo-knuckle.

Cheers.
WJ

Corey_R
19-07-2011, 08:28 PM
They're also apparently going to further differentiate 5 door vs 3 door hatches.

mr gee
19-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Sounds good. Would be about the time I need to trade in my golf 118

jamie88
19-07-2011, 10:00 PM
excellent! ill buy someones mk6 gti off them :)

triode12
20-07-2011, 09:41 AM
:facepalm: Indications that the new R will have the EA888 isn't good news at all. Even if they stop the current oil guzzling characteristics of the engine, the refined nature of the engine only means that the future R will probably be a boring drive. It'll be like the Mk3, Mk4 GTI saga all over again. Unless some boffin in VW realises this, VW GTIs and Rs will be another camry/corolla type car.

gtimk5
20-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I was in the Wolfsburg factory 12 days ago and the tooling and presses were being manufactured at the time. I did wonder what they were doing until I asked the guide if that was the Mk7 line to be.
He admitted eventually that was the case.
Cheers

elephino
20-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I read today speculation that the GTI will have 164kw. This was described as welcome and a large upgrade...which is odd as it's a 1kw increase over the gain made by going from MkV to MkVI and that was called small.

pologti18t
20-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Interesting to read in various articles that the twincharger engine will be phased out for a turbo only 1.4L with less power (110kw perhaps)

Wonder what that will mean for the Polo GTIs future

kaanage
20-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Unless some boffin in VW realises this, VW GTIs and Rs will be another camry/corolla type car.
Given how many middle aged ladies drive GTi's, would VW care?
I think the GTi has become the upmarket/dressed up submodel rather than the sporty one and R and 'Roc have become the true sporty options.

triode12
20-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Given how many middle aged ladies drive GTi's, would VW care?
I think the GTi has become the upmarket/dressed up submodel rather than the sporty one and R and 'Roc have become the true sporty options.

It would affect the R and Roc too as they would be using the same refined engine.

MkVIGTI
20-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Active steering on the Mk7? Hope it's gonna be good

WhiteJames
21-07-2011, 08:51 PM
The Mark 7 Golf is looking the goods over the Mark 6 in many respects:

Active steering, proper LSD (albeit electronically controlled) helps negate need for AWD, wider track & longer wheelbase for lower centre of gravity and surefooted handling, Audi valve-lift on the EA888 (this motor in the Audi A5 makes 350Nm), 7 speed DSG and multi-link rear end. Could make for a compelling case to upgrade to the Mark 7 in about 18 months.

On the wish list, apart from items above, would be Revo-Knuckle front strut hubs, tighter & shorter shifting manual gearbox and uprated spring rates of about 10-15% stiffer than current Mark 6 GTI if possible.

The different body style for the 3 door Golf GTI as opposed to the 5 door appears to be a growing trend amongst the Euro hatches. First it was the Megane RS250, now the Opel Astra GTC 3 door that will have a wider track & wheelbase than the 5 door hatch in addition to Hyper-Strut/Revo-Knuckle front end for less torque steer. See link:

Vauxhall Astra GTC SRi - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Vauxhall-Astra-1.6T-16v-GTC-Sri-180-2dr-Coupe/258288/)

Volkswagen may take the same route with the 3 door Golf GTI, where it could be a differentiated harder focussed coupe in terms of looks and drivetrain & suspension hardware versus a more placad & humble standard 5 door Golf GTI.

Cheers.
WJ

Corey_R
21-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Sorry... can someone explain why active steering is a good thing?
It's been panned consistently by car enthusiasts, magazines, and tv review shows on cars such as the BMW's which have it. They say it's an option you want to avoid. I wouldn't assume it'd be standard though...

Having the valve lift is good, but limits the power potential of the engine.

As for different body style for the 3 door. You could hardly say that the first was the Megane RS250. Opel did it years ago with the Astra. I'm sure they weren't the first either....

orkers
22-07-2011, 06:53 AM
First one I remember was the Fiat Punto back in the 90s, but the A3 has had its Sportback 5 door version for some time too.

triode12
22-07-2011, 09:12 AM
All these gadgets serve to do (apart from improving the cars performance) is to distance the driver from the driving experience even further - I can't see how this is a good thing.

To get any fun out of these cars, one would have to drive them to their limits (which one can only do legally and safely on a track).

pologti18t
22-07-2011, 11:26 AM
To get any fun out of these cars, one would have to drive them to their limits (which one can only do legally and safely on a track).

The "fun" models in a lineup now seem to be the class under the Golf/Astra/Megane -> Clio, Polo, Corsa

Corey_R
22-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Yep exactly. And it's not like it's a "step down" either if you're moving from a MKIV or MKV ;) :)

triode12
22-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Yep exactly. And it's not like it's a "step down" either if you're moving from a MKIV or MKV ;) :)

Pls explain...I'm not getting the bit in bold.

Corey_R
22-07-2011, 01:35 PM
What I mean is, the new Polo GTI is now at a level of standard kit and "quality" that it's quite comparable to a MKV Golf GTI. It's also has, as has been mentioned previously, the "space" or "room" as a MKIV Golf. You can now get your xenons and all that too. It's just as quick 0 to 100 as a MKV Golf GTI, and very competitve around the track. Throw a few suspension, handling, brake, and power addons to it (whilst still spending less than a stock Golf GTI) and all of a sudden you have a car which around a short and tight track like Wakefield Park, is quicker than the Focus RS/Renault Megane Cup RS250/BMW M3/Audi RS4 etc etc.

So whilst you once bought a MKV Golf GTI because at the time it offered the performance and features and level of refinement which balanced what you wanted at the time, but has since "grown up", the cars below it have also grown and are now taking that place.

triode12
22-07-2011, 02:24 PM
What I mean is, the new Polo GTI is now at a level of standard kit and "quality" that it's quite comparable to a MKV Golf GTI. It's also has, as has been mentioned previously, the "space" or "room" as a MKIV Golf. You can now get your xenons and all that too. It's just as quick 0 to 100 as a MKV Golf GTI, and very competitve around the track. Throw a few suspension, handling, brake, and power addons to it (whilst still spending less than a stock Golf GTI) and all of a sudden you have a car which around a short and tight track like Wakefield Park, is quicker than the Focus RS/Renault Megane Cup RS250/BMW M3/Audi RS4 etc etc.

So whilst you once bought a MKV Golf GTI because at the time it offered the performance and features and level of refinement which balanced what you wanted at the time, but has since "grown up", the cars below it have also grown and are now taking that place.

Ah thanks - gotcha. :)
But IMO the new POG and Clio are also not fun to drive.
What we need are cars like the previous POG.

Corey_R
22-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Maybe the next generation of chinese sports cars are what you're after then :P

Sharkie
22-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Sounds a lot like buyers regret on that porky R of yours Corey ..... should have kept the Polo ....

What we need are cars like the previous POG.

Have to agree, the old Polo GTI was much more fun than the new one. Far less civilized and less comfortable, but heaps more fun ..... so much so I'm in negotiations to buy my old Polo GTI back .....

triode12
22-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Maybe the next generation of chinese sports cars are what you're after then :P

Nah - rather drive an NA MX5 or Pug 205GTI...far safer. :P

Corey_R
22-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Sounds a lot like buyers regret on that porky R of yours Corey ..... should have kept the Polo ....
Nah. The old Polo just wasn't up to the goodies that I'd like in a car. But the R is a porker though. If only the Golf GTI were available in Blue. At least it's extra weight is down low ;)

You guys happen to see the Audi A1 hit 324km/h on the Nardo Ring? (http://www.worldcarfans.com/111072035099/mtm-audi-a1-nardo-edition-hits-324-kmh) I wonder what's under the hood :)

triode12
22-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Nah. The old Polo just wasn't up to the goodies that I'd like in a car. But the R is a porker though. If only the Golf GTI were available in Blue. At least it's extra weight is down low ;)

You guys happen to see the Audi A1 hit 324km/h on the Nardo Ring? (http://www.worldcarfans.com/111072035099/mtm-audi-a1-nardo-edition-hits-324-kmh) I wonder what's under the hood :)

Looks like what you need is a Scirocco R or Golf 35.

Sharkie
22-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Looks like what you need is a Scirocco R or Golf 35.

Agree .... either of those will be good for you Corey ..... both still too fat for me though ..... If the Polo R (1.6T AWD) comes I'm buying that ....

Corey_R
22-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah, not a fan of the Scirocco full stop. But the Golf 35 looks to be the goods, apart from it not being available in blue ;)
But I'd have not a second thought about getting the Golf 35 in blue instead of an R, if I didn't already have the R.

I agree about a Polo R - that could be great... depending on how much porkies it takes for the AWD system. I'm just not convinced AWD is necessary. I'm more and more liking the A1 - maybe the S1 - who knows :)

Getting back on topic. Those those who are worried about a larger Golf MK7 - I'm not sure that there is too much concern here. Just look at the Touareg. It's much larger than its predecessor. Yet it's also 300kg lighter. Whilst I'm not sure there is 300kg to lose in the Golf, I'm sure that the MK7 will be lighter than the MK6.

EndlessMKI
22-07-2011, 09:00 PM
the golf platform has come so far in the last two generations it's hard to imagine they can maintain the same rate of improvement. *fingers crossed they will*

WhiteJames
22-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Having driven the Megane RS250 with a longer wheelbase & wider track front & rear, there is room for improvement in the Golf MK5/MK6 chassis design in terms of it's overall footprint.

The next relevation in FWD hot-hatch/fast-hatch motoring is Revo-Knuckle/Perfo-Hub/Hiper-Strut front suspension mounts that separate the steering axis from the strut. This adds feel and grip due to the reduced scrub radius. Have a look at the 5th diagram down in this link and see that Revo-Knuckle/Perfo-Hub/Hiper-Strut offers less scrub radius than convential strut suspension:

2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS: Hiper Strut Suspension Walkaround (http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/04/2010-buick-lacrosse-cxs-hiper-strut-suspension-walkaround.html)

Here's another link that shows the difference between the MK5/MK6 Golf GTI std front strut suspension and the front suspension comprising Revo-Knuckle (Ford Focus RS) / Perfo-Hub (Megane RS250) / Hiper-Strut (Opel Astra SRI/GTC/VXR) type of strut:

Insignia VXR HiPerStrut Technical Description and Detail (http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?57621-Insignia-VXR-HiPerStrut-Technical-Description-and-Detail)

If Volkswagen offer a proper mechanical LSD, longer wheelbase & wider track and Revo-Knuckle front suspension for little or no weight gain, or preferrably less weight than the MK6, it may be enough of an improvement to entice me out of a MK6 and into the Mark 7 GTI.

Cheers.
WJ

WhiteJames
26-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Auto-express.co.uk has more info on the forthcoming Golf MK7. Looks like the other variants such as Jetta, Golf Plus, Sirocco, Golf Estate etc are scheduled to be released in 2013. The GTI receives 220hp and Golf R 300hp. Stop - Start tech will appear on the next generation Golf further enhancing economy. See link:

New Golf uncovered | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/270355/new_golf_uncovered.html)

Cheers
WJ

Capercat
26-07-2011, 08:51 PM
If Volkswagen offer a proper mechanical LSD, longer wheelbase & wider track and Revo-Knuckle front suspension for little or no weight gain, or preferrably less weight than the MK6, it may be enough of an improvement to entice me out of a MK6 and into the Mark 7 GTI.

Cheers.
WJ

I'm currently driving a Clio with the Revo-Knuckle front suspension and I will add there is ZERO torque steer. In fact at first I remember thinking there was something wrong as I didn't feel any "kickback" when planting the accelerator. It takes time getting used to it, but with the stability it offers I can't imagine going back to a standard strut & spring setup. I'm hoping VW add this to the MK7's.

[IMG]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9642/revoknuckle.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/revoknuckle.jpg/)

Treza360
26-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Just to add that perfo hub has been around since about 2004 in the big butt RS Meganes. Renault just didn't make the big song and dance of it that Ford did when they released revo knuckle on the Focus RS in 2008 (yes that's how old the Focus RS is and how behind the times Australia is as usual).

It's now well and truly proven that this is the way forward so I'd imagine we'll be seeing it in some shape or another on all but the most bargain basement hot hatches. That is unless someone comes up with something even better of course.

Cheers,
Trent

hentaiboy
27-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Auto-express.co.uk has more info on the forthcoming Golf MK7

Looks Audi A3 sized. Guess the next Polo will be Golf sized :facepalm:

Re talk of dropping the twin charge 1.4T and upping power from 90 to 110kW, does that mean only one model instead of two? Alfa are getting 125kW out of their 1.4T so perhaps room to move...

MkVIGTI
27-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks Audi A3 sized. Guess the next Polo will be Golf sized :facepalm:

Re talk of dropping the twin charge 1.4T and upping power from 90 to 110kW, does that mean only one model instead of two? Alfa are getting 125kW out of their 1.4T so perhaps room to move...

They can easily have the 1.4T in two different states of tune for different models. And the current gen Polo is already the same size as the first gen Golf ;)

Corey_R
27-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Actually... it's the size of the fourth gen Golf :)

I don't mind if they increase the width of the MK7 Golf, as long as the car is no taller and also lighter. Indications look to indicate all these things will be the case. That's a good thing in my view.

hentaiboy
27-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Guess we can expect to see the new Lupo here in Oz next year then ;-)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/001-1.jpg

MkVIGTI
28-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Oops :P

Anyways, I wonder how many of those new techs will make it to the Oz spec. What I would like to see most is true keyless entry/start! Hope they bring this over to Oz...

WhiteJames
20-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Here's an autoexpress.co.uk article on the forthcoming Audi A3 on new MQB platorm:

Audi A3 spy shots | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/271462/audi_a3_spy_shots.html)

With the use of high strength steels & alloys in the Mark 7/Audi MQB platform making for a weight saving of up to 80kg over the Mark 6 Golf is encouraging in terms of handling, performance and fuel economy.

Cheers.
WJ

Corey_R
20-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Here's a worldcarfans.com article with the first spyshots of the full-body prototype for the Golf MK7. (http://www.worldcarfans.com/111082035896/breaking-volkswagen-golf-vii-first-full-body-prototype)

WhiteJames
23-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Looks like Audi are currrently developing the new S3 along side the A3 with a view to a 2013 release:

Audi S3 (2013) first spy photos and new A3 info | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-S3-2012-first-spy-photos-and-new-A3-info/)

Cheers.
WJ

phaeton
23-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Here's a worldcarfans.com article with the first spyshots of the full-body prototype for the Golf MK7. (http://www.worldcarfans.com/111082035896/breaking-volkswagen-golf-vii-first-full-body-prototype)

Still at least a year or two away from release depending on whether they launch it at 2012 Paris show or 2013 Frankfurt.

WhiteJames
25-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Here another autoexpress.co.uk artcile suggesting that the new Mark 7 Golf will be shown in March 2012 at Geneva Show with deliveries starting in Europe as early as Oct 2012. The Audi S3 is also tested along side the Mark 7 Golf, which may suggest that it's (and the GTI/R) may not be as delayed as previous models.

New Golf GTI spied | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/271771/next_golf_gti_spied.html)

Cheers.
WJ

sharkablue
26-08-2011, 07:35 AM
wow. New GTI already?

I'll be very interested if it will be worth upgrading to it. I wonder if it will be like it was with the MK6?

MK5 owners told to wait for MK7 as the MK6 wasn't THAT much different.
Will MK6 owners be told to wait for the MK8?

Im guessing if its launched in October 2012 overseas, we won't see in RHD and in Australia until 2013 at the earliest.

Which also means by the time the GTI and R are launched overseas we won't see the GTI or R in Australia until around 2014 at some stage?

Corey_R
26-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I wonder if it will be like it was with the MK6?
That's already been mentioned many times in this thread. The MK6 Golf was a MK5.5... same platform, many shared parts etc etc. The MK7 Golf is a completely new platform, never before used by a VAG product. It's wider, longer, yet lighter. Will probably share some engines, but yeah... a completely new Golf.

Ideo
26-08-2011, 10:28 AM
If the R is released in early-mid 2014 that works perfectly for me. Fingers crossed.

Firstgolfr
10-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Can anyone comment? I've heard that VW are going to release a new model Golf in the next release. Is this true and if so when can we expect to see the new model on the road?

Cheers

Sean

SilvrFoxX
10-09-2011, 07:48 PM
lol.. interesting way of posting around MK 7 thread

Firstgolfr
10-09-2011, 10:26 PM
So it's true then...

Corey_R
10-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah.... not exactly a rumour... kinda been known for a few years now... (before the release of the MK6 actually).

Firstgolfr
11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah.... not exactly a rumour... kinda been known for a few years now... (before the release of the MK6 actually).

bugger. I was looking forward to having the latest version for a bit before it was superseded.

Corey_R
11-09-2011, 06:21 PM
since you're buying the R, you will have the latest version for 2 to 3 years...

WhiteJames
13-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Rendering of the new 3 door Audi A3 from autoexpress.co.uk:

New Audi A3 revealed | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/273826/new_audi_a3_revealed.html)

The aluminium parts reducing weight should make for a good daily driver in the forthcoming 2012 Audi A3. Up to 2013 is an exciting time for sports hatchbacks with the following due for release:

Renault Clio Turbo DSG.
Audi A3/S3
Golf MK7 GTI/R
Honda Civic Type R Turbo.
BMW 120i 2.0l Turbo Hatch.
Updated Renault Megane RS265
Polo R (if released) and Audi S1.
Opel Astra GTC.

Many of which will be lighter, faster, more agile and offer better fuel consumption.

Cheers.
WJ

delxa
13-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Hot damn! A Clio Turbo! That would be off tap!!

Corey_R
13-10-2011, 08:07 PM
But it has a DSG ;)

R1 Crasher
13-10-2011, 08:37 PM
But it has a DSG ;)

That just says that DSG is more suited to small capactity turbo engines.
A very sad day indeed.

WhiteJames
13-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Forgot to mention other metal on the way in 2012 - 2013 that would compete with the new crop of VAG hatches:

Ford Focus ST
Ford Fiesta ST
Ford Focus RS
Hyundai Veloster 2.0l Turbo Coupe & Hatch to follow (don't laugh - Hyundai is doing good things)
Impreza WRX Sedan & Wagon : see link 2012 Subaru Impreza - 2012 Subaru Impreza First Drive Review on RoadandTrack.com (http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2012-subaru-impreza)
The 2012 Impreza Wagon is not a bad looker imo.

Cheers
WJ

delxa
13-10-2011, 08:57 PM
But it has a DSG ;)
Yep, that's the depressing part most definitely. I was about to say Renault must have forgotten who their target market but must ask first, is the Clio Turbo going to be a sporty model in the standard Renault range as opposed to a proper Renault Sport model?

WhiteJames
13-10-2011, 09:08 PM
The Renault Clio 1.6l Turbo will use a motor from sister company Nissan and will come with Manual as standard equipment. It should be a good little drive. Turbo-charging is the future. Even BMW is trying to muscle in on VAG's act with the forthcoming BMW 120i 2.0l turbo set to be priced under $50,000 + orc - the last of the rear wheel drive hatches. With a proper optional LSD, RWD and turbo, the BMW looks the goods on paper for around 50K as a driver's vehicle, not the best looker mind you.

VW Golf GTI in BMW crosshairs | 1 series hatch (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/vw-golf-gti-in-bmw-crosshairs-20111011-1libe.html)

Even the BMW 118i at $42800 + orc with 1.6l turbo would be plenty good for daily driving esp. for city use where added power is not often required. It's (118i) lost a bit of beef at 1295kg compared to my GTI at 1380kg.

Cheers.
WJ

7R
13-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Forgot to mention other metal on the way in 2012 - 2013 that would compete with the new crop of VAG hatches:

Ford Focus ST
Ford Fiesta ST
Ford Focus RS
Hyundai Veloster 2.0l Turbo Coupe & Hatch to follow (don't laugh - Hyundai is doing good things)
Impreza WRX Sedan & Wagon : see link 2012 Subaru Impreza - 2012 Subaru Impreza First Drive Review on RoadandTrack.com (http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2012-subaru-impreza)
The 2012 Impreza Wagon is not a bad looker imo.

Cheers
WJ

There are NO plans to bring a 2012 WRX or STI to market at this point based on the new platform.

WhiteJames
21-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Mark 7 Golf due for release in Sept 2012 at Paris Motor Show - only a bit over 7 months away.
Production should commenced soon after.

VW Golf Mk7 (2012) scooped on test in Europe | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-2012-scooped/)

May mean that release in Aus could be around March 2013.

Audi 3dr MQB due for unveiling March 2012 with 5 door and S3 due for unveiling in Oct 2012 - with production of all unit likely to follow soon after.

North America may not receive the 5 door Audi A3 - perhaphs just the 4 door sedan version:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/2014-audi-a3-sedan

Cheers
WJ

SilvrFoxX
21-01-2012, 06:49 AM
looks like a WRX moment here.. maybe the MKVI will be the tipping point

Lucas_R
31-01-2012, 08:12 AM
No pics, but more information about the MK7 on TopGear's website. >> Cancel the ST: next Golf GTI scooped - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-mark-7-2012-01-30)

WhiteJames
31-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Golf MK7: 20% cheaper build cost should have Volkswagen putting in more safety and optional extras, better quality interior and some half-decent hardware bits (like LSD and perhaps premium dampers) for same or similar cost as the MK6 Golf. Should be due for release in March 2013 and GTI perhaps in Oct 2013.

VW Golf Mk7 5dr (2013) the latest spyshots | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-5dr-2013-scooped/)

About same time as new Audi S3 could be due for release in Aus.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-A3-S3-2012-scooped-spy-photos/

Cheers.
WJ

Captain Courteous
31-01-2012, 11:28 AM
No pics, but more information about the MK7 on TopGear's website. >> Cancel the ST: next Golf GTI scooped - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-mark-7-2012-01-30)

I Like :)

"Electronic options take a step ahead, too: forward cameras for lane-keeping and auto-braking, and radar cruise (mind you, there's some on the Ford Focus already). There will also be a new Audi-developed top-end hi-fi/nav/connectivity system that uses an eight-inch capacitive touchscreen - as per an iPad - for far more accurate control and higher definition. It also has a proximity sensor, so it can show an uncluttered map, say, but when your finger gets close it'll switch to showing buttons."

Ryan_R
31-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I was more happy to read this (and I'm the IT geek who should be more interested in the infotainment system) :)

"Traction will be better, thanks to a new type of electronically controlled mechanical limited-slip diff, rather than the brake-based traction control the Mk6 currently uses."

Hopefully no more axle-tramp symptoms when accelerating quickly.

jrgti
31-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Hmmmm...yummeee. Can't wait for the new GTI but if the R comes with the newer engine and deactive cylinder tech I'd consider it as I'd like to move towards an AWD but still have the fuel economy.

SChan
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I guess MK7 "GTI" launch in Oz would be around mid 2014...

MaxMo
01-02-2012, 11:38 AM
2014 is about right. Right now the MK6 is enjoying prime time. I really have no idea how the MK7 is going to trump this car. Dollar for dollar it may well go down in history as one of the greatest cars of all time!

XTC838
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM
It looks as though Mk7 will have some really fantastic features over the Mk6. If price remains about the same, I think it will be great bang for your bucks.

Volkswagen Unveiled MQB Platform With Mk7 Golf (http://www.forcegt.com/news/volkswagen-unveiled-mqb-platform-with-mk7-golf/)

pologti18t
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
2014 is about right. Right now the MK6 is enjoying prime time. I really have no idea how the MK7 is going to trump this car. Dollar for dollar it may well go down in history as one of the greatest cars of all time!

If it is shown at a European motorshow late this year and released to market in early to mid 2013 then I would expect we will get it Q3 2013.

Ryan_R
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
There are two petrol engines: a new 1.2 TSI turbo four-cylinder with either 84bhp (63kW) or 104bhp (78kW) and a 1.4 TSI with either 120bhp (89kW) or (103kW). The latter is already found under the Audi A1 Sportback’s bonnet. It features cylinder deactivation where under a light throttle, two cylinders will shut down to save fuel. Thanks to lightweight aluminium, the engine weighs 16kg less than the 1.4 TSI in the current Golf.

I guess that means they've dropped the TwinCharged 1.4 engine :(
Guess they'll have to sell a lot more GTI's to make up for it.

However they do have a Hybrid with similar power figures as the 118TSI, plus the Mk7 will be lighter.

DoggieHowser
02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Or maybe we'll see the 1.6T used in the Polo rally car :) to replace the twin charged 1.4.

There's not really a mention of GTI models in there either.

Ryan_R
02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
The sport models will come 6-12 months later like they did for the Mk6 I guess.

SChan
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
It looks as though Mk7 will have some really fantastic features over the Mk6. If price remains about the same, I think it will be great bang for your bucks.

Volkswagen Unveiled MQB Platform With Mk7 Golf (http://www.forcegt.com/news/volkswagen-unveiled-mqb-platform-with-mk7-golf/)

When is ur car arriving mate? It must be on the boat now or already in the country... just noticed ETA in your signature...

AdamD
03-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I guess that means they've dropped the TwinCharged 1.4 engine :(

That's old news Ryan!

Volkswagen 1.4TSI twincharger to be phased out: report | Car Advice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/99056/volkswagen-1-4tsi-twincharger-to-be-phased-out-report/)

XTC838
03-02-2012, 09:23 AM
When is ur car arriving mate? It must be on the boat now or already in the country... just noticed ETA in your signature...

It's on the boat :) First batch of 2012 built cars.

Ryan_R
03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
That's old news Ryan!

Volkswagen 1.4TSI twincharger to be phased out: report | Car Advice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/99056/volkswagen-1-4tsi-twincharger-to-be-phased-out-report/)

That's (old) news to me ;)

I loved being able to tell certain car nut friends that my car was supercharged though :)

SChan
03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
It's on the boat :) First batch of 2012 built cars.

Cool... when did you order it?

XTC838
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Cool... when did you order it?

end of October

WhiteJames
03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Audi A3 3 door: New Audi A3 spy pictures | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/278227/audi_a3_spy_pictures.html)

DoggieHowser
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Audi A3 3 door: New Audi A3 spy pictures | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/278227/audi_a3_spy_pictures.html)

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_991/car_photo_495679_7.jpg

Is that really undisguised? Previous articles had the reporters yakking on about a shorter overhang but this overhang on the A3 is massive!!?? I mean it looks worse than on the MkV/VI Golfs.

WhiteJames
03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm hearing you on the short overhangs. It is a fwd, so it will always have a long snout. Compare the stripped down version in this auto express.co.uk article: New VW MQB unveiled | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/278209/new_vw_mqb_unveiled.html).

It ain't no Toyota FT86/Subaru BRZ ... that's for sure. I wonder if the rear dampers on that new MK7 MQB platform poke through the wheel arch ... if so, I could get a set of Volkswagen Driver Gears Sport Springs + Koni Sport dampers and adjust them from inside the boot, instead of having to drop them out like the MKV/MK6 Golf GTI which is a PITA. Maybe they're making the MK7 MQB more aftermarket upgrade/tuner friendly like the FT86/BRZ?

Cheers.
WJ

SilvrFoxX
04-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Golf VII GTI expected to be 100kg lighter

AUSmotive.com » Golf VII GTI expected to be 100kg lighter (http://www.ausmotive.com/2012/02/03/golf-vii-gti-expected-to-be-100kg-lighter.html)

WhiteJames
05-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Doesn't suprise me that the std Golf, GTI and Golf R release dates would be closer together. Rolling out the MKV platform for another 3 years as a MK6 upgrade has given VAG plenty of time for R&D on each specific model in the Golf/Audi A3 range. The source article from the link above shows how far ahead VAG will be in terms of cost savings with the MQB platform, which will pulverise the competition (Polo GTI is already doing this). Suprised to see if the Golf GTI is a full 100kg lighter, I'd thought they lose about 15-20kgs at least from that 100kg weight saving with the addition of a proper mechanical LSD. I'd be suprised if Golf R starts with the EA113 KO4 motor and then swaps mid-cycle to a new EA888 motor. Should know in about 6 months or so when the Audi S3 hits the show stands around Oct 2012. I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade as with any completely new model, always teething problems. Best to wait 12-18 mths after first batch for rectification of any issues.

Cancel the ST: next Golf GTI scooped - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-mark-7-2012-01-30)

Cheers.
WJ

sheckster
05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Doesn't suprise me that the std Golf, GTI and Golf R release dates would be closer together. Rolling out the MKV platform for another 3 years as a MK6 upgrade has given VAG plenty of time for R&D on each specific model in the Golf/Audi A3 range. The source article from the link above shows how far ahead VAG will be in terms of cost savings with the MQB platform, which will pulverise the competition (Polo GTI is already doing this). Suprised to see if the Golf GTI is a full 100kg lighter, I'd thought they lose about 15-20kgs at least from that 100kg weight saving with the addition of a proper mechanical LSD. I'd be suprised if Golf R starts with the EA113 KO4 motor and then swaps mid-cycle to a new EA888 motor. Should know in about 6 months or so when the Audi S3 hits the show stands around Oct 2012. I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade as with any completely new model, always teething problems. Best to wait 12-18 mths after first batch for rectification of any issues.

Cancel the ST: next Golf GTI scooped - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-mark-7-2012-01-30)

Cheers.
WJ

Will they have a new R to go with new GTI qhen they start rolling out MKVII? I'm looking to buy an R but if they'll have a new one based on MKVII I'll wait.....it'll be a long wait I know :-)

entice
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
and therein lies your problem.

you need to wait until it gets released in Europe.

now wait another 6/12 until it comes to Aus in base form.

Now wait another 6-12 months for the GTi and R to be released.

Oh, and you want a custom order.. add 9 months on top...

so that's a 2 yr wait from release in Europe, till delivery. Unless, of course, your prepared to take a spec that'll be on the boat in the first batch.. which I suggest you place a deposit once the Mk7 Base model gets released (for an up and coming R)

SChan
05-02-2012, 09:22 PM

so that's a 2 yr wait from release in Europe, till delivery. Unless, of course, your prepared to take a spec that'll be on the boat in the first batch.. which I suggest you place a deposit once the Mk7 Base model gets released (for an up and coming R)

Well said mate...

jrgti
05-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Fingers crossed that the new platform which the vw, audi and skodia's share will speed up the production.

sheckster
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Well, it's not really a problem, as I'm willing to wait anyway as mentioned if they'll be producing the Golf R in the MQB platform. I did some googling as you do nowadays, and looks like they will. So happy days...waiting days (or years)...:banana: And hopefully the wait times will be shortened with the use of the new platform.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Well, it's not really a problem, as I'm willing to wait anyway as mentioned if they'll be producing the Golf R in the MQB platform. I did some googling as you do nowadays, and looks like they will. So happy days...waiting days (or years)...:banana: And hopefully the wait times will be shortened with the use of the new platform.

entice
06-02-2012, 08:13 PM
yes, here's hoping.

I recall watching a video posted here on the manufacturing of the Mk6 golfs, and how faster it was than the MK5.

still, 9 mths current wait on an R.. and more on a polo GTI... unacceptable (at least it is for me).

It's a catch 22.

you want to buy a stonking good car..

which means so does every one else.
and that means that it's in demand...

and AUS being such a small and meaningless market (in the scheme of things) means we're not really a priority for the manufacturer..

and so...

it becomes 9 mths for an R.....

I really do hope that they reduce teh options and have more standard gear.. maybe then they can make to stock as opposed make to order, and everyone gets a car sooner... but with the "economy the way it is", I can't see that happening in teh near future.

Heck, even Holden is making to order as opposed to stock!

MkVIGTI
09-02-2012, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade as with any completely new model, always teething problems. Best to wait 12-18 mths after first batch for rectification of any issues.

By the time we get it in Oz it wouldn't be the first batch anymore would it?

Lima
11-02-2012, 08:46 PM
It is a fwd, so it will always have a long snout.

How come MINIs have (relatively) short overhangs then?

cktsi
12-02-2012, 08:41 AM
That's old news Ryan!

If the twincharger was being phased out, why was it introduced into more cars since that article? I would argue the opposite. It was used in the polo gti and audi a1 sportback. I also recall in one of the vw magazines from either 2009 or 2010 about vw trialling a twin charged passat that ran on LPG. As petrol runs out, LPG may be on the way in as a stop gap to renewable fuels.... And given LPG yields less torque due to its lesser energy per litre, i can see a future for twincharge.

Perhaps the one technology that might render twincharging obsolete is a twin turbo small capacity engine.

Ryan_R
12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
The only thing I used to wonder is why they only twin-charged the 1.4L and not a 2.0L engine as well - would make for a seriously quick ride :D

hooba
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
The only thing I used to wonder if why they only twin-charged the 1.4L and not a 2.0L engine as well - would make for a seriously quick ride :D

Packaging? Would they still have enough room to fit it into the engine bay of the 20+ models of the VW Group?

pologti18t
14-02-2012, 09:34 AM
And given LPG yields less torque due to its lesser energy per litre, i can see a future for twincharge.

It does? LPG engines can run at higher comp ratios than petrol engines because the octane rating is much higher.
The LPi Falcon has more kW and Nms than the petrol version.

The lower energy density of LPG means it uses more litres per 100km than a similar petrol engine. CO2 emission are similar though.

WhiteJames
14-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I reckon about 18 mths of building the new MK7 Golf should be long enough to cover the sorting out of the minor details/issues ... perhaps the following MY. Mini doesn't have much front overhand, neither does it have much interior space (esp. in the rear) nor much of a boot ... actually ... laughable rear interior space and boot space compared to the audi A1. Better stick with longer overhangs for the sake of practicality.

The next Audi A3 is stated to be about < 80 kgs lighter than its predecessor. See drive.com.au video:

Video - Caught: Audi's new A3 - The Sydney Morning Herald (http://media.smh.drive.com.au/cars/car-news/caught-audis-new-a3-3036530.html)

Cheers.
WJ

AdamD
14-02-2012, 01:15 PM
More speculation:

2013 Volkswagen Golf VII rumored to get powerful engines, advanced technology (http://www.worldcarfans.com/112021341090/2013-volkswagen-golf-vii-rumored-to-get-powerful-engines)

VW gets radical with new Golf - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=261258)

164kw GTD and 194kw GTI... not entirely sure I believe it, but hey - that'd make an upgrade awful tempting!

Ryan_R
14-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Sounds cool, although 8 seconds faster on a 24km circuit doesn't seem like too much to shout about (regarding that VAQ front dif).

Captain Courteous
15-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Do you guys think Fender will replace Dynaudio as an option in the MK7?

Already options for US customers:
Fender™ Premium Audio (http://www.fender.com/features/premiumaudio)

Molotov
15-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Do you guys think Fender will replace Dynaudio as an option in the MK7?

Already options for US customers:
Fender™ Premium Audio (http://www.fender.com/features/premiumaudio)

I doubt it. The U.S market is a lot more unique/tailorable across most car brands, especially when it comes to their options.

Given that Fender is a highly recognizable U.S brand I suspect VW America made the decision, whereas we're likely to get whatever Europe gets... 2 years later ;P

pologti18t
17-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I doubt it. The U.S market is a lot more unique/tailorable across most car brands, especially when it comes to their options.

I think you will find the US market VWs have less separate options than we do.

WhiteJames
18-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Fender stereo's may have more to do with having local content from America in an imported vehicle to grease the wheels of business. Same reason why USA Golf have Monroe dampers (American owned co.) rather than Sachs dampers (German owned co.) . When they assembled Beetles in Australia in the 1950-60's, local content had to be 85%. Now it's a lot lower than that, but many countries will reduce tariffs, import quotas etc provided the manufacturer abroad uses some local content in that vehicle. In short ... no Fender for AUS market.
Cheers.
WJ

---------- Post added 18-02-2012 at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 17-02-2012 at 06:59 PM ----------

45kg weight saving for MK7 Golf as stated from autoexpress.co.uk are a bit more conservative: VW Golf spy shots | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/278992/new_vw_golf_spy_shots.html). Now that I have a set of VW OEM Driver Gear Sport Springs fitted to my DCC MK6 GTI, I'm in no rush to trade up to the MK7. Enjoying the improved handling of the MK6 GTI atm to give it up.
Cheers.
WJ

Ryan_R
18-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I guess an iPad/tablet style infotainment system would weigh a bit less than the RNS510 for starters :)

WhiteJames
23-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Audi A3 3 door has broken cover. It official release at Geneva in a couple of weeks should give a much better indication of what hardware the Golf MK7 is likely to run. See link to autoexpress.co.uk and autocar.co.uk:

Audi A3 pictures leaked | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/279163/audi_a3_pictures_leaked.html)

No prices for those guessing that the A3 hatch was going to look like a grown up Audi A1:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/261453/

Cheers.
WJ

WhiteJames
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
VAQ electronic/mechanical diff as option on the MK7 Golf/Audi range:

PistonHeads Headlines - Next Golf to get active diff (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25303)

Cheers.
WJ

spikeyboy22
20-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Well got the mail today and the new Wheels mag was there and on the cover are a rendering of the new GTI and Golf range with details .. a four page spread ....

I dont think I am aloud to scan a picture of the cover ....

But check it out I think it will be out Wed....

kjh
20-03-2012, 08:35 PM
saw this in the mail on Monday, the cover seems to be a rendering, but there looks to be a more real photo in the article.

tee_off
20-03-2012, 09:59 PM
It's a bit ambigious whether it's an artist's impression or based on an actual prototype, but I think it's an artist's impression based on various spy shots and insider info

spellbound
21-03-2012, 08:20 AM
The current CAR MAGZINE has renderings , if close then she is not changing her looks much , its all underneath .

XTC838
21-03-2012, 09:33 AM
I got the new Wheels issue in my mailbox yesterday as well and the car shown is definitely a rendering.

The design is definitely an evolution of the current model. The exciting bits are all underneath! It seems the next GTI will get more power than the current R! Wheels quoted around 200kW and 380Nm.

Molotov
21-03-2012, 12:09 PM
The design is definitely an evolution of the current model. The exciting bits are all underneath! It seems the next GTI will get more power than the current R! Wheels quoted around 200kW and 380Nm.

^I'm going to call bull$h*t on that (to Wheels, not XTC38) but I'd be be delighted to be proven wrong :cookie:

I wouldn't be surprised if the R gets close to 200 kw but the stock Golf Gti has never been a kw monster and I think it would upset the formula/appeal to a large part of their audience that want everyday driveability and accessible performance. The most I'd expect to see would be something similar to the 35 Edition but I also think that would come with a heavier car.

team_v
21-03-2012, 12:16 PM
The golf will be over 200HP, but not a big increase in KW.

The Gen 7 will be a big design change from the 6 as every odd number has been a big leap in design.

gareth_oau
21-03-2012, 12:16 PM
200kW would need a whole new turbo and I cant see VW doing that and keeping the same price bracket.

also, why would they try to undercut the R - not a good marketing strategy

AdamD
21-03-2012, 01:07 PM
The golf will be over 200HP, but not a big increase in KW.

The Gen 7 will be a big design change from the 6 as every odd number has been a big leap in design.

It's over 200hp now. Agree it's unlikely to see a big bump though. My money's on 220-230hp for a standard GTI, and 280hp for the R.

This speculation (in this month's Motor IIRC) on a Golf RS with the 2.5L 5-cylinder from the TT-RS and 300+kw is very interesting...

WhiteJames
21-03-2012, 05:14 PM
For the MK7 Gofl GTI - 200-220hp sounds about right. Here's Audi's stated power figures for the upcoming new MK3 Audi TT: Audi TT coupe and roadster (2014): more details | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-TT-coupe-and-roadster-2014-more-details/)

Wheels Mag appears inconsistent with other info at hand for the MK7 Golf GTI re:

Mechanical LSD + Electronic XDS/EDL.
Weight - 80kg saving versus 110kg of lessor models.
Power: 155kw and uprated 350Nm with addition of Audi Variable Cam Lift (already on most EA888 Audi's - A4, A5).
The 280kW power is most probably the Golf R power figure with EA888, only with a lost more torque (400Nm).
Safety: Ford Focus has a high level of std safety kit ... you'd expect Volkswagen to at least match them safety item for safety item. Adaptive Cruise Control most probably still going to be an option ... it is an option on the MK6 in Europe.

Looks like 18" wheels will be standard fitment on Golf GTI saving price on an additional option.
7 speed DSG should be dry clutch, which could result in higher maintenance costs down the track for clutch changes.

Biggest issue with availability of stock with options each individual desires. I'd be buggered waiting another 6mths or more for a specifically optioned Golf GTI/GTD. Maybe next time around (if there is a next time), I'd still prefer to sell mine privately and then ring around dealers to see what car matches my spec. Waiting 6-9mths is not acceptable in this age of an overabudance of hot-hatches hitting the market.

Cheers.
WJ

AdamD
21-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Wheels Mag appears inconsistent with other info at hand for the MK7 Golf GTI re:

Weight - 80kg saving versus 110kg of lessor models.
Power: 155kw and uprated 350Nm with addition of Audi Variable Cam Lift (already on most EA888 Audi's - A4, A5).
The 280kW power is most probably the Golf R power figure with EA888, only with a lost more torque (400Nm).

I think it's far too early to be speculating on weight reductions to that degree of accuracy. And let's not forget the Australian spec won't be finalised until after the car is released in Europe, and that's going to have a big impact on the weight of the cars we'll drive.

I doubt we'll get the variable lift EA888 in the next GTI - Audi needs to keep its trump card, and they use it to justify the much higher prices of their cars running that engine.

BTW, I assume you mean 280hp, not 280kw for the R. ;)

SilvrFoxX
21-03-2012, 08:24 PM
BTW, I assume you mean 280hp, not 280kw for the R. ;)I hope not.. will put the order in now

alebonau
21-03-2012, 09:31 PM
I think its excellent they are saying a glass roof will be an option. my last car before my gti had a panoramic glass roof and loved it :)

WhiteJames
22-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Car Mag (U.K.) take on the Mark 7 Golf GTI is inconsistent with Wheels Mag: VW Golf GTI Mk7 (2013): CAR's new scoop | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-GTI-Mk7-2013-CARs-new-scoop/)

The variable steering rack will be similar to what Porsche offer with increased feel. Straight line performance only marginally improved. GTI supposed to come with a proper mechanicall LSD. Golf GTI due out in U.K. in May 2013.

Cheers.
WJ

Ryan_R
22-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Didn't TopGear say the new Porsche steering was worse because of their changes?

Finance_Analyst
22-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Didn't TopGear say the new Porsche steering was worse because of their changes?

and you actually believe anything the top gear muppets have to say?

DoggieHowser
22-03-2012, 09:49 PM
and you actually believe anything the top gear muppets have to say?

Do you work in Goldman Sachs? :)

Finance_Analyst
22-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Do you work in Goldman Sachs? :)

I wish, if only for the 7 figure bonuses (but doubt that is around now!)

DoggieHowser
22-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I wish, if only for the 7 figure bonuses (but doubt that is around now!)

I take it you missed the muppet reference.

WhiteJames
23-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Porsche has just gone from hydraulic steering to electric steering, but have had variable rack ratio for both 997 and 991 to my understanding.

Volkswagen Golf MK5 and MK6 both use electric steering and have since MK5 was released in 2004. Hydraulic steering is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Variable rack ratio have been around for a while and the Golf steering, although very good, can be improved on for feel and accuracy imo.

The Golf MK7 with 1.8 litre turbo motor and 125kW and 320Nm of torque should be very good for everyday street use with great economy. Cars these days are becoming too fast for public road use in AUS ... nowhere to explore their full potential other than targa or track. These days the Golf GTI is faster than a Brock VK Group A Commodore. Much prefer a more engaging driver experience.

Cheers.
WJ

SilvrFoxX
23-03-2012, 06:15 AM
The Golf MK7 with 1.8 litre turbo motor and 125kW and 320Nm of torque should be very good for everyday street use with great economy. Cars these days are becoming too fast for public road use in AUS ... nowhere to explore their full potential other than targa or track. These days the Golf GTI is faster than a Brock VK Group A Commodore. Much prefer a more engaging driver experience.

Cheers.
WJ

Yes I am with you on this one, the R accelerates so rapidly and you barely realise it. Then when you do want to give it the beans there is no runway or safe place to do so.

Finance_Analyst
23-03-2012, 08:48 AM
I take it you missed the muppet reference.

nope. knew about that for a while. quite a barrel of laughs really this mock article in the SMH - No muppets, but a piggy or two (http://www.smh.com.au/business/no-muppets-but-a-piggy-or-two-20120316-1vaig.html)

idaho
23-03-2012, 10:04 AM
VAQ electronic/mechanical diff as option on the MK7 Golf/Audi range:

PistonHeads Headlines - Next Golf to get active diff (http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25303)

Cheers.
WJ

Current model v6 Mitsubishi Outlanders have that across the front diff as standard. So I guess that is why the reference in the article is to 'first production front wheel drive'. But I would imagine it might be a fine line between not enough and too much and having the stability control intervene.

Klink1313
23-03-2012, 10:45 AM
.........The Golf MK7 with 1.8 litre turbo motor and 125kW and 320Nm of torque should be very good for everyday street use with great economy. Cars these days are becoming too fast for public road use in AUS ... nowhere to explore their full potential other than targa or track. These days the Golf GTI is faster than a Brock VK Group A Commodore. Much prefer a more engaging driver experience......

Cheers.
WJ

Yes I am with you on this one, the R accelerates so rapidly and you barely realise it. Then when you do want to give it the beans there is no runway or safe place to do so.

I love the fact that I can accelerate to the posted speed limit as fast as I can. Time is money and since I have had the R I have saved heaps. Will be able to retire soon :P When I die I will be happy with the speed of the hearse until then.......give me more power

AdamD
23-03-2012, 12:49 PM
When I die I will be happy with the speed of the hearse until then.......give me more power

Sig-worthy FTW.

Buller_Scott
23-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Much prefer a more engaging driver experience.

amen to that. what's the point of one jillion kw's if you're so far removed/ insulated from the experience, that you dont even realise you've passed the speed limit, you're not part of the act of cornering other than turning the wheel and watching the vehicle apparently change direction through the windscreen?

i saw the rendering in wheels magazine last night... i had no idea that VW hired the design team for the holden viva, to help them design the front end of the mk7........

infact, take the rendering, remove the vw badges, replace them with daewoo ones, and all of a sudden im sure that people would be opining that the car looks weird.

mfl
23-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by WhiteJames http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/viewpostrightpng-1.jpg (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/golf-mk7-mkvii-speculation-information-thread-44199-post791466.html#post791466)

.........The Golf MK7 with 1.8 litre turbo motor and 125kW and 320Nm of torque should be very good for everyday street use with great economy. Cars these days are becoming too fast for public road use in AUS ... nowhere to explore their full potential other than targa or track. These days the Golf GTI is faster than a Brock VK Group A Commodore. Much prefer a more engaging driver experience......

Cheers.
WJ

No such thing as a car that is too fast for a public road, comments like that border on the pc, . After all, exactly how fast a car is driven, is determined by the operator, I don't tend to use WOT too often in peak hour traffic.

I certainly hope the new GTI at the very least gets the 350nm engine as I feel the GTI as it is is under-done. While that kind of power is available with a stage 1 upgrade, that raises warranty issues.

As the ex-owner of a modified VK Gp A, while a GTI maybe marginally faster than a stock GP A, what is substantially different is the driving experience. A rwd relatively light V8, that sounded good and with decently handling was a lot more enjoyable to drive than my GTI, although nowhere near as forgiving.

Ben J
23-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Theres an article in the april wheels magazine I think with all the details of the mk7 gti, sounds like itll be the goods, 200kw and a few hundred kg lighter then the mk6, making it the weight of the older smaller the mk3/4 (only skim read it so cant remember)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Ben J
23-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Looks a bit boring though, I think the mk6 looked much more aggressive

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

WhiteJames
23-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Power corrupts. More to the point ... excessive power corrupts the chasis balance ... esp in a fwd. On B-Grade roadways, half the time I only need part throttle for swift overtaking manouvres in the MK 6 Golf GTI. Not using the full extent of the motors capability, which is a shame as the EA888 is a sweet revving unit. Overpowered vehicles on the public roadway is like being a monk living in a bordello ... all this pent up energy and nowhere to release it. Can only result in one thing ... a nasty accident. Much prefer less weight, aiding agility for driver appeal and improving fuel consumption for more efficient use. Pedestrian safety and side impact safety standards are not doing any of the current crop of hatchbacks any favours in terms of visual appeaance ... steeply sloped bonnets and high side sills limit design creativity imo.
Cheers.
WJ

Buller_Scott
23-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Power corrupts. More to the point ... excessive power corrupts the chasis balance ... esp in a fwd.... Much prefer less weight, aiding agility for driver appeal and improving fuel consumption for more efficient use.

+1, yet again.

too much power will only upset the car's fluidity between corners, on a spirited sunday morning B-road blatt.

mfl
24-03-2012, 08:12 AM
+1, yet again.

too much power will only upset the car's fluidity between corners, on a spirited sunday morning B-road blatt.

absolutely no argument, nothing worse than a fwd, that attempts to go sideways, because it spins its front wheels every-time you accelerate, or a too heavy in the front fwd, that only wants to go straight, irrespective of drive inputs when driving spiritedly.

none of the above applies to the current GTI or any future one.

WhiteJames
25-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Here a little insight from the passenger side of the new Audi A3 dr as to what to expect in terms of handling dynamics in the new Mark 7 Golf: New Audi A3 exclusive ride | News | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/280648/new_audi_a3_exclusive_ride.html).

Similar to that 'other crappy French brand' ... longer wheel base and slightly wider track front and rear. Reduced ride height should also help agility.

Cheers.
WJ

Ryan_R
25-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Some Melbourne guy has made a video about e-Cars for Ch 31 (found the video in the FinalGear forums). The Golf will eventually have an electric version (not that many here will be interested in it), but half-way through the video it shows an interesting idea shown in California. Instead of charging your batteries at servos, they are automatically replaced (assuming cars have some sort of battery standard going forward).

Password = mydrive

https://vimeo.com/37280341

DoggieHowser
25-03-2012, 10:21 PM
TED had a guy formerly from SAP who's part of this group to sell electric vehicles as an ecosystem. Including "gas stations" which swap out your battery packs rather than charge them.

alebonau
26-03-2012, 05:19 PM
this article says gti to launch geneva march 2013 so reach our market late next year !

rest of comment looks like out of the car magazine article.

2013 Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk7 to get 162kW, LSD, longer wheelbase - PerformanceDrive (http://performancedrive.com.au/2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-mk7-to-get-162kw-lsd-longer-wheelbase/)

well with my lease finishing on my gti march next year looks like going to be either keeping the mk6 gti, or trading onto something other than a mk7 gti...

Paul_R
27-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Theres an article in the april wheels magazine I think with all the details of the mk7 gti, sounds like itll be the goods, 200kw and a few hundred kg lighter then the mk6, making it the weight of the older smaller the mk3/4

What's the MkVII R going to have then?

5 pot 250kw 400Nm???

Here's hoping/wishing/dreaming...

DoggieHowser
27-03-2012, 12:41 PM
There was talk of a 5 pot 300+hp Golf RS.

Finance_Analyst
27-03-2012, 01:34 PM
There was talk of a 5 pot 300+hp Golf RS.

Would a Golf RS be somewhere in the $80k-$90k mark? If so, (which it really shouldn't be if VW adjust for the euro depreciation), then it is A LOT of money for a golf. As much as I love mine, I doubt I could outlay so much for one, as it suggests it is twice the car of the GTI, which I bet it isn't.

gecko2k
27-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I've read somewhere that Viezu will have a better tune then APR for the next gen Golf!

AdamD
27-03-2012, 01:40 PM
I've read somewhere that Viezu will have a better tune APR for the next gen Golf!

Don't. Even. Go. There. ;)

DoggieHowser
27-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Would a Golf RS be somewhere in the $80k-$90k mark? If so, (which it really shouldn't be if VW adjust for the euro depreciation), then it is A LOT of money for a golf. As much as I love mine, I doubt I could outlay so much for one, as it suggests it is twice the car of the GTI, which I bet it isn't.

Says the guy who wouldn't buy an R either :)

ps there was a lot of derision for the guy who asked if the R was worth 2x the price of the 77TSI. I suppose the same could be said of the R/RS to the GTI as well.

FWIW, I think Audi and VeeDub have to rethink their pricing strategy for the Golf/A3 divide.

With a BMW 125 with a 245hp 2.0l engine going for 45k, it seems like even the R today might be a tad overpriced. Granted, with some of the basic options I looked at, it would be close to 60k before discount, about the same as the R prior discount with similar options.

Which IMHO puts the Audi S3 and RS3 in a very odd position in the marketplace.

I'll admit the 1 series does look like it fell off the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down :) but in a 3 door guise with the M trim (bodykit, bigger rims and wider tyres), it looks a lot more purposeful. Still not what I'd call pretty but purposeful in a Panamera kinda way.

Finance_Analyst
27-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Says the guy who wouldn't buy an R either :)

ps there was a lot of derision for the guy who asked if the R was worth 2x the price of the 77TSI. I suppose the same could be said of the R/RS to the GTI as well.

FWIW, I think Audi and VeeDub have to rethink their pricing strategy for the Golf/A3 divide.

With a BMW 125 with a 245hp 2.0l engine going for 45k, it seems like even the R today might be a tad overpriced. Granted, with some of the basic options I looked at, it would be close to 60k before discount, about the same as the R prior discount with similar options.

Which IMHO puts the Audi S3 and RS3 in a very odd position in the marketplace.

I'll admit the 1 series does look like it fell off the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down :) but in a 3 door guise with the M trim (bodykit, bigger rims and wider tyres), it looks a lot more purposeful. Still not what I'd call pretty but purposeful in a Panamera kinda way.

I guess I look at the from the point of view that a GTI is already so good to begin with, that very few cars are 2-3 times better despite the price differential. Yes I would say that a 77TSI Vs an R would be justified as there is that quantum leap, but when the GTI out of the box is so damn good, it is hard to get the same leap again from cars 2-3 times more. From a price point, 70-75k max would suffice for a Golf RS, or else it enters the territory of BMW 135i/328i, Audi S3 etc which most people would probably opt for due to the badge.

WhiteJames
29-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Autocar.co.uk are saying that the MK7 Golf GTI will run a Haldex clutch-plate type of LSD that is electronically controlled. Sort of like a sideways Golf R Haldex diff that suffles power from slipping wheel to opposite wheel. The Electronic part may be an electro-hydraulic unit like the MK6 Golf R that pre-empts when slip is likely to occur, acting in a proactive way. Most aftermarket LSD's for Golf are torque-sensing worm gear type (Quaife, Peliqiun, Wavetrac, etc) as is the Nissan sourced GKN made LSD in the Megane RS250.
Cheers.
WJ

WhiteJames
01-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Car Magazine.co.uk have a decent write-up on the new MK7 Golf GTI with apparent reliable info from VW insiders. Info from actual Magazine ... here's link to watered-down net article: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-GTI-Mk7-2013-CARs-new-scoop/. Stats on new Golf GTI MK7:

Golf GTI:

Power: 217 bhp.
Torque: 340Nm.
Audi Valve-Lift Tech for increase in torque, but no so much power (only 9 bhp more power).
Both MTrans & DSG will be 6 speed.
Mech LSD.
6.7 sec to 100kph.
Stop/Start & Energy recoup for increase from 39mpg to 47mpg economy.
Fuel tank down from 55 litres to 50 litres.
Weight reduction of 60kg for GTI.
Same/similar telephone dial style wheels.
20mm wider & 30mm lower roof-line, with front axle further forward & slanted engine for improved handling.

Bluemotion Ed Golf GTI may come a short time later with taller 5th & 6th gears, low resistence tyres, lower idle speed (600rpm), improved aero with claimed 52mpg (sounds like the pic for me without having to go for the diesel ... maybe a MTrans next time as DSG is still 6 speed).

Golf R:

Launches in Nov 2013 (Europe).
291 bhp.
AWD.
6 sp MTrans or DSG500 7 speed auto.

Golf RS:

365bhp.
AWD with more aggresively tuned centre diff.
Not signed off by VW HQ.

The argument for VW Golf GTI not having Audi Valve Lift Tech is a valid one. This tech has been around for a while now. I'd suggest that Audi will differentiate itself as a premium offering by using alloy for suspension components and possible alloy roof to lower cog and cut down on weight (80-100kgs weight saving as opposed to GTI 60kgs). This in comsummate with Audi philosophy of lighter weight, better economy and sportier hanlding over the VW range.

Cheers.
WJ

boltor
25-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Golf R:
Launches in Nov 2013 (Europe).

So, we would get our R in Australia after Europe, or at the same time?

SilvrFoxX
25-04-2012, 04:25 PM
So, we would get our R in Australia after Europe, or at the same time?Probably after South Africa :) and more like 2014

AdamD
26-04-2012, 09:09 AM
So, we would get our R in Australia after Europe, or at the same time?

Well after. Expect mid-2014 at the earliest.

Ideo
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Well after. Expect mid-2014 at the earliest.

Just when my lease is up :D