PDA

View Full Version : Folding mirrors

Buggermedumplings
29-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Is it possible to set the exterior mirrors to fold in when car is turned off and vise versa when turned on?

adrock
30-04-2010, 08:50 AM
That's a feature I would have expected to be standard also, but I haven't been able to work it out.

V6Passat
30-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Is it possible to set the exterior mirrors to fold in when car is turned off and vise versa when turned on?

buy a merc?

team_v
30-04-2010, 09:23 AM
No it isn't possible from memory.

Edit: The R36, CC and V6 highline passat's do have folding mirrors but i don't think you can get them to fold when you lock the car.

If you can it would be in teh vagcom coding nad vortex would have some info on it.

Pana
30-04-2010, 12:53 PM
The Australian delivered VW's don't come with folding mirrors as there is no real need.

Mine fold.

Leagle
30-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Passat CC mirrors fold too. And they automatically dip too when you hit reverse. However, no haven't figured out a way to make them fold automatically when you lock the car. Would be handy to know. Having said that - and this may sound silly but hear me out - I reckon if you fold your mirrors in, you are just making your car a target. People know you care a little too much for your car, y'see.

team_v
30-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Mine fold.

Passat CC mirrors fold too.

Well there you go.
Must just be the smaller VW's that don't.

V6Passat
30-04-2010, 01:25 PM
No it isn't possible from memory.
The Australian delivered VW's don't come with folding mirrors as there is no real need.

R36s, and CCs do.

I also thought the updated V6 highline do now come with these.

Rocket36
30-04-2010, 02:10 PM
No real need? WTF? It's great to fold them when parked!

Caddyman
30-04-2010, 04:06 PM
AFAIK, since the B6 passat was released in 2006 if you opted for the electric memory seats, then you automatically got the folding mirrors with puddle lights under them. They are standard with the R36, and yes, now with the MY10.5 V6 Highline. This, however does not answer your question of whether they can be folded automatically when you lock the car, that I cannot answer! I have looked in VAG-COM but cannot see it, although I have not spent a lot of time on it.

Matthew

Leagle
30-04-2010, 05:30 PM
A little off topic here, but what's annoying is that although memory seats and the fold up mirrors with puddle lights under them WERE included with my new CC, the puddle lights on the front doors and lower lights don't work - apparently unless you option up the lighting/timber package - which I did not want as I prefer aluminium trim all round!

AFAIK, since the B6 passat was released in 2006 if you opted for the electric memory seats, then you automatically got the folding mirrors with puddle lights under them. They are standard with the R36, and yes, now with the MY10.5 V6 Highline. This, however does not answer your question of whether they can be folded automatically when you lock the car, that I cannot answer! I have looked in VAG-COM but cannot see it, although I have not spent a lot of time on it.

Matthew

Rthirsty6
30-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I think it can actually be a bit dangerous if you're not careful as to fold the mirrors in when parked you have to have the ignition on. So if you fold them whilst still sitting in the car you can't really see any cyclists etc coming from behind when opening the door. To do it safely I get out of the car with the key still in the ignition, fold the mirrors and then turn the car off. It's a bit annoying and would have been much better if you could fold the mirrors with the ignition off, or auto fold when locking the car.

Steve
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I can use my neck to turn my head to look over my shoulder. I check for cyclists and other vehicles that way.

Highlander
03-05-2010, 12:29 PM
What's the VW part number - VAG coding for the turning neck please. I can't find it in the manual

Rthirsty6
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I can use my neck to turn my head to look over my shoulder. I check for cyclists and other vehicles that way.

Please add some value otherwise don't bother with smart-ass comments. It's starting to put me off actually, initially I thought this forum was great, but some of the people on here obviously can't help themselves and think they always need to have something meaningless to say about every subject.....

Rocket36
03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
What Steve said wasn't meaningless or smart-arse. It's actually exactly as it is. There is NOTHING dangerous about folding mirrors or having them folded when getting out of the car. If you know how to move you head and eyes, then you can check for traffic, cyclists etc quite easily.

Steve
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Please add some value otherwise don't bother with smart-ass comments. It's starting to put me off actually, initially I thought this forum was great, but some of the people on here obviously can't help themselves and think they always need to have something meaningless to say about every subject.....

If you misinterpreted my comment as smart arse or meaningless then I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention.

I was merely pointing out there's more than one way to check for cyclists or other vehicles, and that one should not rely upon their mirrors to be a safe driver. They help, but they are no substitute for actually looking over one's shoulder. That was one of the first things my driving instructor drummed into me. I see people rely solely upon their mirrors all the time: it's dangerous. Don't do it. People are taught to turn their head to look over their shoulder for safety reasons, not because it's convenient or easy.

Rthirsty6
05-05-2010, 08:07 PM
If you misinterpreted my comment as smart arse or meaningless then I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention.

I was merely pointing out there's more than one way to check for cyclists or other vehicles, and that one should not rely upon their mirrors to be a safe driver. They help, but they are no substitute for actually looking over one's shoulder. That was one of the first things my driving instructor drummed into me. I see people rely solely upon their mirrors all the time: it's dangerous. Don't do it. People are taught to turn their head to look over their shoulder for safety reasons, not because it's convenient or easy.

Thanx Steve.
I do look over my shoulder a fair bit. Maybe because I have a wagon, but there are blind spots and cyclists approach pretty quick so they are hard to spot without having the mirror to check, especially in twilight. My point was that VW could have easily made the operation better so it becomes a really usable feature.

Rocket36
05-05-2010, 11:05 PM
it is a really usable feature!