PDA

View Full Version : what chip

lavna
27-03-2007, 09:10 PM
hi new to the site just brought a 2007 golf 2.0 tdi dsg
can some one please tell me what chip is best for this car i have looked at the oetingeer is this the best one
have had plenty to do with car use to have a 10sec turbo rx3 coupe
but dont know much about diesels
thanks

h100vw
27-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Bit of a can of worms that question. Lots of compaines do chips for your car. As to which is best.....................................
Your location would help to.

Gavin

gldgti
27-03-2007, 09:46 PM
hey mate, welcome!

as to your question, no idea apart from this: oettinger are a true vw affiliated performance brand, and its likely anything you get from them will be better than most things.

gldgti
27-03-2007, 09:47 PM
oh, and congrats on buying the diesel!

brackie
28-03-2007, 06:06 AM
good to have another diesel owner aboard! They ain't the same thing. Nor are "tuning boxes". Be very careful when entering this minefield and do your research throughly by visiting manufacturers' websites, reading their literature and comparing their product claims for your car with no other modifications or differences. Internet forums are definitely NOT the place to get objective information or opinions on ECU mods because everybody reckons they're selling the best or they've bought the best.

Anyway, welcome and you've joined the diesel club! You won't regret it and make sure you check out the posts in the "MK5" forum because most of we TDI owners post there. I would wait a whle before increasing the perfomance of you engine. My TDI's just clocked 9000km and loosening up nicely so I'm beginning to consider it.

bobzed57
28-03-2007, 07:42 PM
lavna

I've got a DPChip in my R5 Touareg, and it's been excellent. You can certainly notice the extra power, although the jury is still out on whether there are any fuel economy benefits, in my experience at least.

Had mine fitted at Berrima diesel (the search engine of your choice will find it readily enough).

And, if you need convincing, I disconnected mine recently to make sure we weren't doing the placebo thing, and I was told by SWMBO in no uncertain terms to reconnect it. Nuff said really after that.

Bob

lavna
29-03-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks alot for all your help

shogun2
30-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi Lavna,

I have a Diesel Power chip in my TDI V.
www.diesel-power.com
I love the additional performance. It appears to allow me to drive a gear higher than without the chip. I cannot comment on the fuel consumption, as the other half likes to drive it as well, and she drives it like her Honda Civic, which requires high revs to get decent performance.
All I need now is to lower slightly and 18" rims with new tyres.
Just clicked over 18K Km's.

Rod

Moonan
30-03-2007, 07:07 AM
My Touareg R5 (2.5) has a DP chip as well.. My experience is like BobZ's. Parformance improvement is great. As far as fuel economy goes, it reports much better than it actually gets, as it fools the trip computer into thinking less hes been sent to the engine than is really the case. Just an artifact of the way it does its magic.

GJD
31-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Had an Oettinger chip upgrade on my 07 Passat TDI DSG and I'm very happy with the result as well as the confidence that it is fully supported by VW in regards to service and warranty.
Thinking of doing the same to my wife's 06 Golf TDI DSG, but not sure whether the extra power would freak her out! Fuel economy is better and torque increase is awesome.

lavna
01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
i asked at vw and they said that all chips void your warranty

GJD
10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Did they say that about Oettinger????????

matthewfnorbert
10-04-2007, 08:51 PM
i asked at vw and they said that all chips void your warranty

it is illegal in australia for them to say that!! your manual even states this, it does in my R5 anyway. basically the mod has to be shown to have caused the failure on the item you are claiming warranty on...the manual states this. your 'warranty' on the car is not void.

the berrima diesel chip seems to be one of the more intelligent chips on the market, in that it does more than just add fuel across the rev range but also alters "when" the fuel is added (diesel timing). this is very important as simply adding fuel to get performance may also mean you are generating elevated combustion and exhaust temperatures..

dammfool
15-10-2007, 02:53 AM
I had a dp chip fitted to my polo tdi and on the highest setting i cant keep the thing on the road.I left a v8 falcon ute for dead the other day.When i get the car serviced i just remove it.And on the lowest setting i can pull away from a standard 6clyinder ford BA ute

Winesnob
30-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi GJD

Pardon me for asking...what is the price range of the chip for the Passat. I have the 125kw tdi which I am impressed with and I would sooooo love to buy it a gift like this!

Cheers

Scott

95vr6
30-11-2007, 07:41 PM
The DP chip is the only way to go.

Transporter
30-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I had a dp chip fitted to my polo tdi and on the highest setting i cant keep the thing on the road.I left a v8 falcon ute for dead the other day.When i get the car serviced i just remove it.And on the lowest setting i can pull away from a standard 6clyinder ford BA ute

Are you sure that driver of the ford was also in the race?:)

Transporter
30-11-2007, 09:23 PM
it is illegal in australia for them to say that!! your manual even states this, it does in my R5 anyway. basically the mod has to be shown to have caused the failure on the item you are claiming warranty on...the manual states this. your 'warranty' on the car is not void.

the berrima diesel chip seems to be one of the more intelligent chips on the market, in that it does more than just add fuel across the rev range but also alters "when" the fuel is added (diesel timing). this is very important as simply adding fuel to get performance may also mean you are generating elevated combustion and exhaust temperatures..

If you engine would have mechanical failure I don't think that would be difficult for VW to prove that extra power caused it. :)

dammfool
02-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Are you sure that driver of the ford was also in the race?:)

well he was behind me and the lights went green he went up the inside lane and nailed it and so did i,and i pulled away from him.when we got to the next set of light didnt he have the ****s

broady69
03-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I used to have a Polo TDi that came with the 96kW engine as standard. I chipped it with the REVO Technik Chip and the gains were the best I've seen.

Standard KW @ Fly 101Kw (diesels always are higher than what stock should be)
REVO KW @ Fly 131Kw (15 minutes later)

Never had a moments hassle with it and when we compared torque, power and performance with 2 other chip types (Dastek & somethingelse) the revo always came out on top.

The difference is to see how many variables the chip with alter to get the best performance. The REVO modifies 55 settings on the diesel engines where as some of the chips out there only alter boost and nothing else. Be careful with the chips that make only boost modifications as they will break your car in time.

OilBurna
20-12-2007, 06:40 AM
depends on the chip the oettinger one I beleive is a full re flash and very hard to detect the dp one changes your fuel pump settings / delivery which s easy to detect through diagnostics, but feel free to correct me.

pb62
02-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a Golf V 2.0 TDI which had a flash upgrade of ECU with the Optican OBD tuning which is probably similar to Oetinger and Revo Technik.
125kw and 375NM of torque for $1500.
Flash upgrade is undetectable, only a rolling road dyno would detect the difference.
The quality of power delivery is excellent and it will out pull local V6's as well as Mk 4 RS32 on the open road.
Before spending money on making the car a "Performance Car" a "High Performance" driving course will set you back less and show you how to get the very best from what you already have. Around Sandown Raceway the 2.0 TDI with standard tyres and brakes and no performance add ons is not a lot slower than a GTi when driven well so becoming a performance driver and learning to handle what you have already will make your car go a lot faster (and then upgrade chip of course!!).

mikinoz
03-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Well said pb62.

More and more people are getting these tunes so that can only be a good sign.

OilBurna
03-01-2008, 07:56 AM
where did you get yours done pb62

Mister_duck
03-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I still wouldn't use the dp chip, I haven't heard that great things about it. I would prob stick with Revo or even Giac now that they have developed a reflash for the Tdi

TDI Dude
03-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I still wouldn't use the dp chip, I haven't heard that great things about it. I would prob stick with Revo or even Giac now that they have developed a reflash for the Tdi

What kind of things have you heard regarding the dp chip???

shogun2
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I would be interested what you have heard about the dp chip. Is this the same as: www.diesel-power.com?

95vr6
03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I have the Dp chip in my T5 , no problems at all, Pls explain?

95vr6
03-01-2008, 06:36 PM
What happens when your dealer does a firmware upgrade with your flashed ECU ?

pb62
03-01-2008, 07:07 PM
If you go to;
OBDTuning Australasia
15 Palmer Parade,
Richmond. VIC. 3121
Ph: + 61 3 9421 1266
Fax: + 61 3 9421 1277
E: info@obdtuning.com.au
and ask to speak to Peter West he will reveal all. Or you can preview the set up by looking at their website.
If your dealer should do an upgrade for whatever reason you take your car back to the place you had it tuned and they keep the software on their laptop with your rego against it. They can then re-install the tuning codes. Each car, even if they have an identical engine type, has its own tuning specific to its individual Engine Management ECU so no two cars have exactly the same tuning codes. Your car is taken in and connected via the OBD port to the laptop which 'reads' the engine's codes and that info is sent, via e-mail to Germany. Several hours later, an e-mail is received back which will have the new codes for your particular car. They are not interchangeable with anyone else's engine. The germans seem to have the best tuning systems as they tend to work well within the capabilities of the engine. The latest diesels seem to be capable of approaching the magical figure of 100 bhp / liter displacement and indeed I know that the latest 2.4l 5 cylinder diesel Alfa 159 produces 240 bhp after chip tuning.

95vr6
03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
If you go to;
OBDTuning Australasia
15 Palmer Parade,
Richmond. VIC. 3121
Ph: + 61 3 9421 1266
Fax: + 61 3 9421 1277
E: info@obdtuning.com.au
and ask to speak to Peter West he will reveal all. Or you can preview the set up by looking at their website.
If your dealer should do an upgrade for whatever reason you take your car back to the place you had it tuned and they keep the software on their laptop with your rego against it. They can then re-install the tuning codes. Each car, even if they have an identical engine type, has its own tuning specific to its individual Engine Management ECU so no two cars have exactly the same tuning codes. Your car is taken in and connected via the OBD port to the laptop which 'reads' the engine's codes and that info is sent, via e-mail to Germany. Several hours later, an e-mail is received back which will have the new codes for your particular car. They are not interchangeable with anyone else's engine. The germans seem to have the best tuning systems as they tend to work well within the capabilities of the engine. The latest diesels seem to be capable of approaching the magical figure of 100 bhp / liter displacement and indeed I know that the latest 2.4l 5 cylinder diesel Alfa 159 produces 240 bhp after chip tuning.

There is alot of wasted time going back and forth to get the car back to its flashed power upgrade.

Tigga1
04-01-2008, 07:19 AM
I also had the DP chip installed year and a half ago.
After looking at Oettinger (double the price and a third of the wty) I thought what have I got to loose.
the other reason was I live in FNQ, so for any Oettinger service I was too far away from service centre, whereas with DP chip, you can always get sent a nother unit.

no complaints, except some excessive soot speweing on hard accellaration, but ofcourse only if you look in the rear-vision mirror!

easier driving style, with less shifts.
Not having driven an Oettinger or any of the others, I can't say how it compares in smoothness, drivability etc.
installation is fairly simple, althought someone did it for me, and unit can be removed and installed on other cars, which may be a bonus when selling the car.

Shogun convinced me, as he had his done a while before mine.
my car has done 60K, about 30K with chip.
regards and let us know what you decide.
okief

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
25-01-2008, 03:04 PM
It would be a real plus if all those who have brought chips could post the price paid here and then it would be possible to chart the result. Even better if claimed figures could be list also.
Could someone tell me if the original VW IC chip is hard soldered on to the PC (printed circuit), cause if a IC socket mount was used its a small job to swap IC's.
I was quoted $1700.00 from Muller Muller for a Oetinger chip fitted to a T4.
Never thought they'd be this dear?:confused:

TDI Dude
25-01-2008, 03:11 PM
It would be a real plus if all those who have brought chips could post the price paid here and then it would be possible to chart the result. Even better if claimed figures could be list also.
Could someone tell me if the original VW IC chip is hard soldered on to the PC (printed circuit), cause if a IC socket mount was used its a small job to swap IC's.
I was quoted $1700.00 from Muller Muller for a Oetinger chip fitted to a T4.
Never thought they'd be this dear?:confused:

I got a quote for the Dp chip from Berrima Diesel for a GT Sport TDI $1300 or $1420 supply and fitted. Am going to get one from Berrima Diesel and get them to install as it's a nice drive down there and be lots of twisty roads to explore with the chip after it's done :D From memory I think for a T4 you're looking at about $1350. Go to www.dpchip.com for full details.

pjbplumbing@bigpond.com
25-01-2008, 04:08 PM
TDI dude,
Thanks mate, just wrote them for a quote.
Thanks,
peter