PDA

View Full Version : TDI economy and performance

eestison
01-12-2005, 01:55 PM
well, i have just returned home after about a week cruising from central coast QLD to cairns and kuranda. my 2.0 TDI now has approx 2500km on the clock, she is run in - in every aspect; tyres, brakes, engine, etc...

up until this point i have alternated revs/engine loading - not letting it tick over at a steady 2000rpm on the highway, slipping it from 6th down to 4th, via 5th and back up again the whole way up. according to other forums i have read this will help seat in rings/engine internals (i am no mechanic though hehehe) and get the variable geometry turbocharger running as it should.

i have noticed that the fuel economy is improving somewhat as i go - as the internal resistance of the engine reduces. the temp guage sits on a shade above 90C in tropical/central QLD summer temps. on the trip computer my average fuel consumption was showing as 5.6l/100km at the end of my journey. that is a fraction under 1000km to a tank on the highway.

i use BP ultra low sulphur diesel and nothing else. it has a cetane rating of 51 and meets the DIN EN 590 standard that VW suggests in the vehicle handbook. no other diesel here, that i know of, meets this criteria. using this particular brand of diesel is said to prolong the life of the diesel particulate filter and promote better performance. as a bonus it is far far better for the environment.

i have had no real issues with the car so far - the cruise control had a minor lapse south of cardwell, but evaluating the situatiuon with reason (and a bit of knowledge of cruise control systems - i would need both hands and feet ++ to count the number i have installed) i tapped the brake pedal, tried again and was pleased to see it working again.

my only other issue is that the speedo seems to show too high. the dealership checked this out and confirmed that it is really doing 56km/h when it shows 60km/h. i was advised that this is a factory standard and it is part of the VW safety program - er... huh??

the words below are possibly fictitious and are not meant to encourage unsafe use of a motor vehicle in any way. i accept no liability for persons acting out or trying to reproduce these possibly fictitious scenarios.

acceleration from standstill will leave other motorists way way back in the rear view mirror. wheel spin is a problem even with the ASR (traction control) turned on. it may be said that having no ASR in the wet would be a bad thing.

not being a boy-racer, i am not too keen on collecting scalps at the stop light grand prix, except when challenged. i have yet to come away second best. i think that over distance i would be trailing - but off the mark over a couple of blocks or so, the tdi will do just fine. lots of torque from low rpm is a very nice thing indeed. other than that, the car is unbeleivably stable in at very very high speeds.

the vehicle accelerates rapidly and safely. stability is no concern when overtaking. it was found that acceleration from approx 90km/h would result in immediate loss of license if observed by authorities. this loss of license would occur after a matter of seconds. it has been suggested (by unknown parties) that at autobahn speeds the vehicle is quite sure-footed and capable. i cannot deny these suggestions... twisty bits/curving uphill runs are also a delight - though caution should be applied on unfamiliar or busy roads.

leaving the vehicle in D is good for economy, but early upshifts - it looks for the highest gear if left in D to maintain economy - can be a little frustrating. the box will kick down a gear, or two, when pushed but using the DSG box for what it was made ('manual' operation) is much more rewarding. It is the best option.

leaving the vehicle in S is also a good option, a rather nice note is the result when you take your foot off the accelerator. In S the DSG box holds gears longer and keeps it right on the sweet spot for best acceleration.

If left in S, 'manual' mode is not available. You can only slip it into 'manual' when you have D selected. changing from S to D on the fly has not/will not be attempted... activating the cruise control in S sees the DSG box look for the highest gear - much like when you put it into D.

gear changes are seamless and very very fast. 1/300 to 1/400 of a second. the only possible issue with the DSG box is that it is only rated to carry/transfer 360nm of torque. the TDI puts out a maximum of 320nm of torque.

njg02
12-12-2005, 08:38 AM
eestison,
You're car won't be run in yet! Give it about 15-20000 kays. Mine (1.9 manual) has 25000 and is starting to loosen up nicely. Overall average economy of 5.5. I can now drive up My Ousley in sixth with 4 adults on board.
Niel

eestison
13-12-2005, 08:38 AM
eestison,
You're car won't be run in yet! Give it about 15-20000 kays. Mine (1.9 manual) has 25000 and is starting to loosen up nicely. Overall average economy of 5.5. I can now drive up My Ousley in sixth with 4 adults on board.
Niel

thanks, Niel. that seems an awfully long run in period - but then i am no expert on the matter. should i be taking it easy still - ie not winding out gears to 3750/4000 rpm etc etc...

regards

eestison

peter_j_g
13-12-2005, 09:23 AM
My experience with VW/Audi diesel engines is that they take a good 20,000km to run in. And then many many hundred thousand kms to wear out.... :)

imported_brackie
13-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Running in periods vary greatly but that seems about right. The important thing is to avoid getting a glaze on the cylinders and to bed the rings in properly. Very important with diesels!

eestison
13-12-2005, 10:58 AM
My experience with VW/Audi diesel engines is that they take a good 20,000km to run in. And then many many hundred thousand kms to wear out.... :)

that last bit is good to note!! :D .

joshinthecity
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
eestison,
Niel
But it's nicer to the car to do it in 5th @ say 2200-2300rpm ish.
no?

J.

golfvr6
06-06-2006, 01:35 PM
6th gear on mt ousley with 4 adults on board - sheesh! some torque that tdi has

reminds me of when i used to commute between the gong and to sydney for 9 mths in my vr6 - constant dropping between 3rd and 4th and 2nd in and out of the trucks!

joshinthecity
06-06-2006, 04:43 PM
6th gear on mt ousley with 4 adults on board - sheesh! some torque that tdi has

reminds me of when i used to commute between the gong and to sydney for 9 mths in my vr6 - constant dropping between 3rd and 4th and 2nd in and out of the trucks!

The TDI fels good everywhere. But it feels BORN to take on that hill. Doesn't even raise a sweat :-)

J.

Peter J
19-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I am a new member and this is my first post. My Golf V TDI 2.0 now has 11,000 kms on it and it just seems to be loosening up. We travelled to Melbourne from Dubbo on the June longweekend. I think it is about 830 kms. We went all the way to Melbourne and just out again before we filled up. The computer was indicating we had done 860kms and still had 160 kms left. The computer was giving an average consumption of 5.2 L/100Kms. We were cruising on 110 km/hr all the way although I must admit it is an extremely flat road all the way. I know the diesel is a little more expensive at the moment but I still think I am in front. :)

gtimk5
20-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Peter J. One thing people must keep an eye on in new Golfs is oil usage while running in. My GTI doesn't seem to use a drop and it occasionally gets a caning. It has 11000 kms now.
We seem to have a few TDI people on the forum now, soon to be one more, eh Brackie? This week ? Cheers to all!

Jettinabout
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Another one to the board....I pick up my 2.0l TDI Jetta - hopefully at the end of next week after a six month wait. Good to see comments re how to use the diesels etc..

gtimk5
10-07-2006, 01:05 PM
6 month wait?! Don't worry, in a few weeks you will be over that feeling. It is all worth it after some drives in your new VW. Excellent mate, bet you can't wait. Check it over thoroughly for blemishes and scratches. And share your experiences with the rest of us!!
Good luck, cheers, Andrew:) :)

Macca
10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi

Just signed up for a Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. Due into the country July 17th. Expect it from the dealer (Adelaide) 2-3 weeks after?

Still not sure about the DSG but all the advice says its the way to go. I guess it will take a while to get used to the DSG as well as the diesel.

How much is running in an issue ? (I have read most of the posts on this subject). I think if my wife drives it a bit it will get a good workout to bed in the rings (its OK guys she wont read this!)

Have a trip to Adelaide to Melbourne planned a couple of months after getting the car. What is best and realistic way of dealing with the conflict of varying the speed/load and actually getting there in a realistic time.

cheers Macca

brackie
11-07-2006, 06:40 AM
The DSG will help in your running in programme as you can manually change gears to suit. My diesel with the 6 speed has just over 1000km on it now and is still tight. I've been mostly on long runs but apart from the Bass Hwy here in NW Tas the hilly nature of the place and the winding roads lend itself well to good running in techniques. When I'm on a constant speed stretch I shift between 5th and 6th regularly to avoid having constant revs on the tacho. I try to keep the range between 1600 and 2600 rpm, but I work her hard up a hill occasionally and give her a burst up to 3500 rpm flat stick every now and then. I treat her very gently until the oil is fully warmed up. Bedding in the rings properly is very important, and don't forget Andrew's warning about oil consumption!

GoLfMan
11-07-2006, 10:03 AM
give us some fotos of your new Diesel brackie.

Jettinabout
11-07-2006, 01:30 PM
I looked under the bonnet when I test drove it ... four Audi rings on the engine cover. The other side note is that Audi have won the Sebring 12 hr and I believe Le Mans 24 hr with diesels...so they are here for the long haul.

I have been tracking mine through the dealership and can't wait. A drive to northern NSW into those ranges is looking good. Then to Blackwater in Qld is on the cards also.

gtimk5
11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi Jettinabout! Hey, not long now. Bet you can't wait! A drive round the northern NSW ranges would be great. Just don't stay too long at Nimbin!!! Ideal roads for running in the TDI too, probably perfect weather too! Lucky...:) :)

peter
18-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi All,
Glad to see so many enthusiastic golf v owners out there.

I've had my 2.0 tdi for nearly 18 months with 24k on the clock and I'm very happy with its economy & performance.

My overall average is 5.5 L/100 but I think it's well and truly run in now and I regularly get around 5 - 5.5 per tankful, depending on how much fun I feel like. It seems to be most economical at 1300 rpm, which is around 64km/h in 5th --- trip computer reads 2.5-3 L/100 on flats.

On a particular 90km round trip that I do weekly, the computer nearly always shows trip averages of around 3.8! But I notice it's consistently 10% optimistic, which means about 4.2. Still, can't complain about that!

Anyone else experience the 10% optimism on their golf Vs, particularly tdis? I'm actually glad it's at least consistently off.

One thing I would've liked to see is the auto dipping of the wing mirror/s when reversing. The owner's manual supplement says it's disabled due to a technical issue with this feature -- wonder if it's related to the wrong mirror being dipped ie for LHD markets.

cheerios
Peter
:)

brackie
18-08-2006, 06:12 PM
My Golf TDI has only 2000km on it now and is still tight. I get 5.3L/100km in mixed running.

peter_j_g
18-08-2006, 07:29 PM
My Passat TDi (99 model 1.9) has averaged 4.5l/100km in the 15,000km I've owned it. I've keep an accurate record of fuel purchased and the trip computer is spot on. The trip computer has both the trip average and the long term average, I guess the golf has the same? My average reflects that with 193,000km it is now nicely run in, and also the type of driving: only country roads, the closest traffic lights (and town) are 70km away!

Dr Spine
26-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Can anyone suggest to my how many kilometers I might expect out of a full tank from a new GTI? I understand that if driven harder economy will suffer but how far should a tank take me under "normal use". The economy of the TDI sounds fantastic. Does anybody know of a VW Golf car club in Queensland?