PDA

View Full Version : So Many Questions...

blue_reality
27-03-2007, 05:28 PM
OK I've got a little list of questions that have been on my mind for ages so if anyone knows the answers that'd be awesome.

1) The little red light on the drivers side door lock - how do you make it flash when the car is locked? Is the immobiliser still on even if the light is not flashing? Someone told me to turn the key 3 times or something?

2) What RPM approx does your GTI sit on when idle?

3) On the original stereo, when I hit the >> or the << it skips to the next track but I can't search within that track. ie I can't fastforward to hear a hot guitar solo, or rewind within a track. Hitting the arrow button just skips to the next track? Can the factory stereo search and if so, how?

4) How do you change the clock on the stereo?

5) When I bought the car the guy only gave me 1 key. Where do I get another?

6) When I accelerate hard, the front of the car skips and jumps around because the wheels can't grip (I only tried it once)

Would wider/bigger tyres make a difference or is this a suspension mod? Or what can be done to get the power to the road instead of hopping around?

OK I think that is all the niggling things so far.

Thanks in advance.

fuzion
27-03-2007, 06:11 PM
OK I've got a little list of questions that have been on my mind for ages so if anyone knows the answers that'd be awesome.

1) The little red light on the drivers side door lock - how do you make it flash when the car is locked? Is the immobiliser still on even if the light is not flashing? Someone told me to turn the key 3 times or something?

1-The Red light should flash when you've locked your car via the remote/or key. If it doesn't it means one of your locks are playing up and your immobiliser isnt activated (so ive been told). Get the car scanned by VAGCOM by bug_racer would be my opinion with that.

2) What RPM approx does your GTI sit on when idle?

2- i dont remember! lol, around the 800-1200 mark depending on aircon and what not as well

3) On the original stereo, when I hit the >> or the << it skips to the next track but I can't search within that track. ie I can't fastforward to hear a hot guitar solo, or rewind within a track. Hitting the arrow button just skips to the next track? Can the factory stereo search and if so, how?

3- the stock stereo as far as i knew didnt skip forward only next track, POS! (piece of ****)

5) When I bought the car the guy only gave me 1 key. Where do I get another?

5- from VW itself, otherwise bug_racer can organise you another and i think from memory they are $100+

6) When I accelerate hard, the front of the car skips and jumps around because the wheels can't grip (I only tried it once)

6- when i accel hard my wheels still spin/bounce but not as much as before i did the dogbone mount bushes, larger wheels of course gives you better traction most definately/better tyres too

Would wider/bigger tyres make a difference or is this a suspension mod? Or what can be done to get the power to the road instead of hopping around?

OK I think that is all the niggling things so far.

Thanks in advance.

Hope that helps you out a bit...

blue_reality
28-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Aha, when I use the central locking button inside the car, the passenger lock always bounces back up again as soon as I've hit the button. I thought it was some Euro Safety device LOL

shaneth
28-03-2007, 09:14 AM

Does thi mean if you press it in and hold it , it still wont fast forwrd.

gpk_gti
28-03-2007, 09:16 AM
mine bounces back up again too,but its still locked...
changing the dog bone mount will make it better but you will get vibrations for about 1000k untill the settle in. as for larger diameter rims,you will trade off the bouncing and big tyre spinning and get more top end.some dish 17's with some really sticky tyres will be much better!!!

blue_reality
28-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Does thi mean if you press it in and hold it , it still wont fast forwrd.

That's right! It doesn't fast forward

dancet
28-03-2007, 04:18 PM

If you push the volume knob on the stereo in, it should show the time, then press again it goes to bass -> treble -> blah blah.

So, press it once to get the time displayed. Then I *think* you press it again, but hold it in for a few seconds. From memory the hours number will start flashing and you can change it by turning the volume knob, or with the track up and down buttons (don't remember which).

This whole procedure may be totally wrong...will have to check later today when I head home.

blue_reality
28-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Anyone know how to change the clock on the stereo?

jbot
28-03-2007, 07:43 PM

did you read your car manual?

dancet
28-03-2007, 09:09 PM

Ok...ignore my first method, turns out it IS totally wrong.

Here's how to change the time:

1. Turn your ignition on so your stereo switches on at least.
2. Push the Volume knob in once. The display should change to the time
3. Push and HOLD the volume knob in again, you won't see any change on the display
4. While still holding the volume knob in, press the next track (>>|) and prev track (|<<) to change the hours and minutes, respectively. The clock is a 12 hour clock and you can only scroll up through the digits using these buttons.
5. Once you have the correct time set, release the volume knob, wait a few seconds and the display should change back to your CD/radio info. All done!

As a side note, I just discovered you can switch the time display off all together. From the normal stereo display, press and HOLD the volume knob in. After about 5 seconds it should say "Time Off". To turn it back on, do the exact same until it says "Time on".

Enjoy!

blue_reality
30-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Ok...ignore my first method, turns out it IS totally wrong.

Here's how to change the time:

1. Turn your ignition on so your stereo switches on at least.
2. Push the Volume knob in once. The display should change to the time
3. Push and HOLD the volume knob in again, you won't see any change on the display
4. While still holding the volume knob in, press the next track (>>|) and prev track (|<<) to change the hours and minutes, respectively. The clock is a 12 hour clock and you can only scroll up through the digits using these buttons.
5. Once you have the correct time set, release the volume knob, wait a few seconds and the display should change back to your CD/radio info. All done!

As a side note, I just discovered you can switch the time display off all together. From the normal stereo display, press and HOLD the volume knob in. After about 5 seconds it should say "Time Off". To turn it back on, do the exact same until it says "Time on".

Enjoy!

AWESOME!! Thanks heaps.

spa
31-03-2007, 12:38 AM
i have another question... didn't seem worth making another thread for though...
does anyone here have preferences for what kind of petrol they use in their GTI's?

It says to use 95RON, is there any noticable difference with using 98?

gpk_gti
31-03-2007, 07:59 AM
gti's are made tyo run on 98 premium. they do run on 95 and 100 ,but not as good.

spa
01-04-2007, 12:58 AM
hmm ok,.... is there a preference on brand?
or are they all pretty much the same....?

gpk_gti
01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
aha,now this is a sore point from what I can gather.some shells are better than others,its hard to pick.I have found out that PREMIUM unleaded can go off.a mate of mine has a sports bike which he rides a couple of times a month.he has had to drain the tank a few times due to condensation(water build up) in there and been rebuilt a few times as well.The first couple of times he put it down to bad fuel being bought.but after some discussion with some operator of service stations and some mechs he discovered that when the fuel sits for a long period it losses its potency and can start to gather water!!!! picking a high traffic station is usually a good indicator of good fuel.

spa
01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
interesting... i wonder if that means any petrol would go off...

yeah, i found last time i refueled with 98 v-power, my engine seemed to be a bit erratic at low speeds (ie. creeping).

just refueled with some bp ultimate, and immediately don't have the same problem. *shrugs* re if it is better otherwise though. did cost me over $70 to fill the tank completely ....

oh, i filled it up with 54.5 litres of petrol, maybe i shouldn't have let that fuel warning symbol stay on for so long ;)

DIDZ
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
interesting... i wonder if that means any petrol would go off...

yeah, i found last time i refueled with 98 v-power, my engine seemed to be a bit erratic at low speeds (ie. creeping).

just refueled with some bp ultimate, and immediately don't have the same problem. *shrugs* re if it is better otherwise though. did cost me over $70 to fill the tank completely ....

oh, i filled it up with 54.5 litres of petrol, maybe i shouldn't have let that fuel warning symbol stay on for so long ;)

I can feel when fuel is starting to go off - It's usually around the 2nd/3rd day it's been in the tank - by the end of the week the car feels like it has a prison chain ball attached to it.

I always fill halfway and fill on the needle before the redline. :D

blue_reality
02-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I only ever use SHELL OPTIMAX.

I've never noticed any loss in power after the fuel has been in the car for a week.

spa
03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
i have another question! :?:

so if i were to go on holiday for 6 weeks (which i am going to :D ), what condition should i leave the car in? i'm guessing from the sounds of what you have said, i should leave minimal petrol in the tank... also, when i get back, would the battery be flat? :?

thanks for any responses :)