PDA

View Full Version : Hit a pot hole on parra road! & Need Help !

Veee1.8t
27-03-2007, 11:29 AM
driving along parra road and hit a pretty big pothole, i didnt think much of it but i looked at the front left tyre and theres a buldge on face of the tire, just on the side of the rim, anyone know whats wrong with it?

cheers
vee

MACCAA
27-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Basically,it's stuffed.The impact has damaged the sidewall ,and it ain't repairable.Don't keep driving on it,as you're risking a blow out at any time.

KI11Z
27-03-2007, 12:02 PM
what he said ;)

Veee1.8t
27-03-2007, 12:02 PM
thats no good! , that really pisses me off...

thanx for that mate..chhers

gtimk5
27-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I had the pleasure of doing 3 sidewalls on the Contis on my GTI within 15,000 kms. Same deal, potholes ect. One sidewall split open, 2 bulged. I am not sure if the sidewalls on the Contis are weaker? The 17in ones were $410 each with some shopping around.
I later fitted Yokohamas to the 17in wheels and they rode nicer.
I swapped those for a set of 18in BBS CHs and they came with Contis so its back to taking extra special care again! :o

DubSteve
27-03-2007, 01:15 PM
driving along parra road and hit a pretty big pothole, i didnt think much of it but i looked at the front left tyre and theres a buldge on face of the tire, just on the side of the rim, anyone know whats wrong with it?

cheers
vee

Should have used the M4 ;)

GTI PERTH
27-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Veee, get a quote for the tyre and labour charge and take it to your local council along with a photo of the pot hole, road and tyre and they should pay the bill as a mate of mine has done it and they soughted it out, goodluck

Glide_GTI
27-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Veee, get a quote for the tyre and labour charge and take it to your local council along with a photo of the pot hole, road and tyre and they should pay the bill as a mate of mine has done it and they soughted it out, goodluck

lol, ur mate is lucky.

my mum hit a pot hole like 1m deep, broke the rim, bent the strut brace.. think she could get anything out of the council? nope.

on another note, i went a bit too fast in an unseen dip in the road today, used up all the travel on the left front wheel, better go and check the tyre :o

Veee1.8t
27-03-2007, 05:57 PM
so do i replace the buggered tyre with the one from the rear or do i put the new full size spare on the front?

Veee1.8t
27-03-2007, 08:24 PM
changed my tyre.....now when i brake really hard .....theres this terrible grinding sound ...grrrrrrrrrr...and a bit of vibration ...is this just the abs ...never was like this before?

Timbo
27-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Best tyre to the front. Always!

Timbo
27-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Sounds like some additional damage. Go to dealer

Wand Weaver
27-03-2007, 08:54 PM
That doesn't sound good - are you sure that wasn't the case prior to the tyre change? I'm wondering if the big pothole hit may have damaged something other than just the tyre.

Is the car tramlining at all? Does it make any noises it shouldn't when you're driving with full steering lock applied?

A worst-case scenario guess from someone who's certainly not mechanically trained - the big hit may have damaged the CV boot. I hope for your sake that isn't the case though.

Veee1.8t
27-03-2007, 08:59 PM
im a little scared now!! ...no i tried it in full lock.,...not wierd sounds...runs fine no noises ...its just when i brake really hard ... theres an aweful grinding noise....and heap of vibration through the pedals

h100vw
27-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Might have damaged the wishbone or mountings. This isn't the kind of thing we should be diagnosing over the internet. I would get it somewhere with a hoist, not necessarily a dealer just a decent mechanic, so that it can be investigated properly.

Gavin

Veee1.8t
27-03-2007, 09:04 PM
i think i just have to take it in to the dealer...do i have to make an appointment or do i just rock up there?

h100vw
27-03-2007, 09:17 PM
I'd call them

Wand Weaver
27-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I'd call - and I'd also start arranging alternative transport. The last thing you want to be doing is driving around in a car with unknown damage to its brakes/suspension. Not only do you run the risk of doing further damage, but you also run the risk of component failure - something you don't particularly want to contemplate at 60+km/h.