PDA

View Full Version : New Rubber Needed for the Treg; Help !

ozvino
27-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey guys, I hope all is well over in Vortex land; seems like clubtourage is dead this time, its been down for days, a real shame to see all of that information and data go down the tube.......

After only 25,000km I need new tyres. The stock rubbers (total rubbish) are near slicks and I think I want to buy Coopers. I know there was a lot of stuff about Tyres on CTreg, but with it gone I cant search. I have an R5 TDI 2005 model running the stock rims. My question is what model and size Cooper should I be looking at. Majority of driving (90%) will be on city roads.

Any comments on Coopers ? Pro's/Con's ?

As a side line, the VW Dealer told me that that a regular Tyre fitter cant do an alignment on a Touareg (I can hear you laughing), I should have the dealer do the alignment, my assumption is anyone who sells Coopers knows 4WD's and shouldnt have any issues;any comments ?

Im also curious what I should be paying for these (I live in metro Melbourne).

Any advice would be much appreciated

Dave (oznino)

gpk_gti
27-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I hope all is well over in Vortex land;

Dave (oznino)
welcome Dave!!I also hope all is well in vortex land:rolleyes: ,but this site is VWwatercooled Australia!!:D

ozvino
27-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, my typo, apologies; watercooled and vortex, both great sources for VW info !

V10TDI_downunder
27-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Dave,

What's your rim size?

I did 12,500K on my originals. I found out that it's tyre wear rating was only double of a control tyre, which is 100, the pirelli's were 200.

I run 19" goodyear MT/R's, I know they are a bit extreme. However, compared to the originals, they have lasted 2.5 times better more-over.

The treadwear rating goes as follows, a control tyre has a rting of 100, therefore a tyre with a treadwear rating of 220, last 2.2 times longer then the control tyre. Now dependining on the size of the vehiche, it's weight, tyre inflation, rotation, maintenance and the verosity of the driver, tyres may last 10,000km or more.

I have a tyre that has a treadwear rating 3.8 times of the control tyre, I have so far completed 38,000km on my treadwear rated tyres of 380 and they are only just over half way.

So the issue is the treadwear rating, relative to your driving conditions. I prefer a longer lasting tyre with good side wall and puncture resistant properties and something that will see me through many off-road conditions.

Because my Stump pulling, QE2 engine bay oiler has 19" rims, my choise is limited.

I am keen to explore 18' rims and fit Cooper's, they appear to be about the best tyre around.

my 2 bob's worth.

V10TDI_downunder
27-03-2007, 09:15 PM
By the way Dave, welcome to a small club so far.

Where are you located in Melbourne?. I live in the West.

barefoot
28-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Dave,

I changed to Pirelli P Zero and am quite happy with them. The original dunlops lasted 30k, the Pirelli is now at about 35k and looks like I'm only half way to the TWI. So generally I'm happy with them. They're not as good as the dunlops are in the wet.

There's some suitable tyres listed on this ML site:
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/roadtires.html

Cheers

Moonan
28-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Dave,
My R5 survived to around 40k with the dunflops, and then I put on Cooper Discoverer ATR 245/65R17. These seem to perform as well or better in all conditions, and at around 78k on the vehicle now, seem to have at least 50% still on them.

The 245/65 size is a little bigger than the originals, you will go from speedo reading +6% to around +2% (Odometer will read slightly low, which isn't a bad thing). Matthew has gone for a slightly bigger size again, but I am happy with mine.

My only comment is that the rubber appears to be a slightly softer compound compared to the last AT tyres I had (Michelin LTX on the old Patrol) I say this because I've had a flat on a well-graded gravel road that was just a pointy stone through the tread, and there are some cuts from sharp rocks from an off-road day we had last year. Maybe I am just taking the Treg places that I didn't take the Nissan, but I don't think so really.

Anyway, the Coopers seem to be a common choice for 17 inch wheel Touaregs - around $300 per tyre.

cheers

ozvino
28-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Guys, good to see you all over here on the forum ! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I spoke to Guests 4wd in melbourne; they called Cooeprs for me, and apparently the official word from Coopers is that on the R5, the ATR is too tall (25mm taller than stock) and ADR's state no greater than 15mm either way from factory fitted. I can still buy the ATR's, they will fit them, $290 fitted. Seemed a reasonable price.

Coopers are advising Tourage R5 owners to fit the Sport HP's; they appear to be more of a road tyre (from what I see online) but I will go take a look; they advise you can get up to 60k from them. No surprise, they are more expensive, around $340 fitted. I think he said they were 275/55, around 10mm taller than stock.

Think I will take a look before I buy them; 90% of my travel is on blacktop so maybe the Sport HP's are a good option. Will keep you posted.

Anything has to be better than the Dunlops.........

Dave
(Heidelberg, Melbourne)

Moonan
28-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Dave,
I'm not sure what the guys at Coopers were smoking, but according to the website http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, the following numbers apply:
Stock tyre as fitted to R5 Touareg:
255/60 R17 has an overall diameter of 737.8mm
Cooper tyres I have:
245/65 R17 has an overall diameter of 750.3mm
So they will be 12.5mm "taller" than originals. Therefore it is well within the ADR requirement (as interpreted in all mainland states) of "not more than 15mm > largest tyre on the vehicle's placard". You also need to be sure that the load rating is not less than (for an R5) 105 and the speed rating (in Victoria) is not less than K. The Coopers with load rating of 107 and speed rating of S (180k) are fine for an R5 in every state except the NT (where you must have speed rating not less than placard (H).
My reference for rules wrt size and ratings is a toyo tyres website http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info8.html
(thanks overlander forum)

cheers,

bobzed57
28-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Dave

I took moonan's recommend a few months ago and went with the slightly larger Cooper ATR. My Dunlops lasted less than 30k, and because I was using the Treg in the bush, I binned them sooner rather than later.

I'm very happy with the ATRs, especially those few extra mm of clearance. I haven't scraped the underside yet. I've got nearly 9k on them and despite all the roundabouts here in Canberra, they look pretty new. They're also reasonably quiet.

Having said that, I did get bogged in them the weekend before last, not because of the tyre, but the lack of momentum. Ultimately, you've gotta pick a tyre for your usage patterns. For me the ATR is very good. Maybe muddies next time, depending on how adventurous I get.

Cheers

Bob

matthewfnorbert
01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
yep the ATR is excellent, i did 40k on mine and still look like new.

the size neil quoted is the best for the r5, i think mine were a few mm taller but wider. the ATR's were around $295 fitted

dmm_au
19-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Good thread. Here a link to the ATR page at Cooper
http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/atr.htm

Would this advice be the same for the TDV6 with 17" wheels?

barefoot
19-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Dave,

I changed to Pirelli P Zero and am quite happy with them. The original dunlops lasted 30k, the Pirelli is now at about 35k and looks like I'm only half way to the TWI. So generally I'm happy with them. They're not as good as the dunlops are in the wet.

There's some suitable tyres listed on this ML site:
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/roadtires.html

Cheers

Well 2 out of the four Pirellis ahve reached the twi now, that puts them at 60k, the remaining two have another 10k so I guess Pirelli will last around 60k-70k. I tried to replace the worn ones with the same tyre except Pirelli told my tyre shop they no longer bring in P Zero, and suggested I go for Zero Rosso which is an assymetrical tyre and $370 each, I said no thanks and replaced them with what the tyre shop recommended, Hankooks Ventus ST $250 ea fitted.

For a cheap Korean tyre, the Hankooks really surprised me, phenominal in the wet (yes I'm obssessed with this aspect of the tyre, see below), and quieter than the Pirelli on the tarmac. Don't know how they'll last though, the tread pattern looks performance (so probably soft compound).

[short story on why I like my tyre to work when raining]
When I was a bit younger, had less sense and drove an awd, I thought I was invincible until one day it rained hard, I thought I'm out to play with my awd, the car aquaplaned, if you have aquaplaned at speed, you'll have remember that not only you loose control of the car, the splashing water makes quite a heart stopping roar, all the while, you wonder why the steering wheel is shaking, and this all happens in about half a second followed by about 4-5 seconds of the car sliding and me thinking I hope I don't hit anything (and thank god I just slid onto the grass verge). I always wet test the tyres in any car I drive now.

Cheers

Flipper Dog
20-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Barefoot, what size are you running with?

Transporter
20-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Well 2 out of the four Pirellis ahve reached the twi now, that puts them at 60k, the remaining two have another 10k so I guess Pirelli will last around 60k-70k. I tried to replace the worn ones with the same tyre except Pirelli told my tyre shop they no longer bring in P Zero, and suggested I go for Zero Rosso which is an assymetrical tyre and $370 each, I said no thanks and replaced them with what the tyre shop recommended, Hankooks Ventus ST $250 ea fitted.

For a cheap Korean tyre, the Hankooks really surprised me, phenominal in the wet (yes I'm obssessed with this aspect of the tyre, see below), and quieter than the Pirelli on the tarmac. Don't know how they'll last though, the tread pattern looks performance (so probably soft compound).

[short story on why I like my tyre to work when raining]
When I was a bit younger, had less sense and drove an awd, I thought I was invincible until one day it rained hard, I thought I'm out to play with my awd, the car aquaplaned, if you have aquaplaned at speed, you'll have remember that not only you loose control of the car, the splashing water makes quite a heart stopping roar, all the while, you wonder why the steering wheel is shaking, and this all happens in about half a second followed by about 4-5 seconds of the car sliding and me thinking I hope I don't hit anything (and thank god I just slid onto the grass verge). I always wet test the tyres in any car I drive now.

Cheers

Hi Barefoot,
I also have replaced stock Michellin tyres on my T5 (235/55/17) with Hankook and I noticed that they are holding better and are quaiter too (and it is not comparing worn out Michellins to a brand new Hankook - I remember very well road noise from day one I was driving from the dealer home). Michellin pilot premacy was over $ 500.00 each and Hankook was $ 195.00 each at Bob Jane.

Let us know how many km's you get out of them.
I got 35,000km from Michelins and so far 10,000km on Hankook and it looks like they should last longer than Michelins.

barefoot
21-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Barefoot, what size are you running with?

stock size 255/60R17

dmm_au
02-11-2007, 01:09 AM
I did a little research here for the 17" wheels on the TDv6;
VW support to sizes.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=294473

235/65-17 29.0"
255/60-17 29.0"

The first is the size used in the offroad package. Because both tires have the same diameter the speedo will be correct. As I've ordered the tyre carrier, I'm also concerned about choosing a large tyre that might work on the car, but not fit the carrier.

This is a little list of tires that seem popular. %slow means you speedo will be out by this amount. Frankly after the good recomendations in this and the clubtouareg forum, I don't think I'll go past the first entry.

''Cooper Discoverer ATR 235/65R17 104T (739mm) 0.1% too slow''
Toyo Opat 235/65R17 104H
Dunlop Grandtrek ST8000 17 255/60 106H (737.8mm)*
Cooper Discoverer ATR 245/65R17 107S (753mm) 1.7% too slow
Michelin Pilot LTX 17 245/65 105H
Mickey Thompson ATZ LT245/70R17 119R (777mm)
Cooper STT 245/70R17 119Q (780mm) Very Aggressive 5% too slow

But please jump in with opinons. I'd be especially interested if anyone has a rear tyre carrier with larger wheels.

sparky
03-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Having just sold my Cayenne to buy a Treg I have learnt 2 things--the front end needs to be realigned as they are all factory set to understeer and wear out the inside of the tyres..Donnellans at Box Hill have the correct settings..also Bridgestone 680 tyres were excellent on the road and have now been replaced by683 ?Rgds

dmm_au
05-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Interesting. What have you noticed about the difference between the two cars?

There has been quite a lot of discussion about tyre alignment and premature tyre wear on the forums. Did you get some form of report from Donnellans Box Hill showing how much they changed the alignment.

Personally I was after tyres that would increase the Touareg's performance off road, but thanks for the road tyre tip. I've ordered a vehicle and I assuming it's going to show up with Wrangler tyres. Have to wait and see.

David

sparky
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Ring Mark Donellan at Box Hill-he has the specs in his head...680/683 tyres are about 25/75 offroad and killed the standard road tyres--Rgds

dmm_au
08-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I'd guess you're refering to the Bridgestone All Terrain (AT) tyre.
Looks good, but the sizing isn't perfect. 9mm larger.
I can see some exact matches in the HP Dueler, but for the D683 Highway Luxury, I can't see a good tyre for the 17" rims.

Dueler A/T D694
Bridgestone D694 (225/70R17) 225 70 17 108 S 747 RBT

Dueler HP Sport
Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport (235/65R17) 235 65 17 108 V 738 TL
Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport (255/60R17) 255 60 17 106 V 738 TL

D683 Highway Luxury
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/treads/d683.asp

dmm_au
09-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I came accross a Mud Tyre from Goodyear.
Personally I think an ATR would be more appropriate than a MTR for me, but a common complaint seems to be a lack of off road rubber for the Treg.

Wrangeler MTR 235/65R17 104T available
http://www.goodyear.com.au/TyreDetailAction.do?website=GYR&mtpcode=00071&from=nPerPage

Which doesn't have a high enough load rating. For the 255/60/17 it's 106, and the 235/65/17 it's 108!

bobt
08-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd like to cross the Simpson, from Bridsville, then the Tanami, through the Kimberly and then back down to Perth. I am amazed at the difficulty in finding not only suitable tyres, but even information on suitable rim/tyre combinations for the V6 TDI.
I never had these problems with my 100 Series L/C's, on which all ran either BFG AT's or Coopers.
I saw some images on Club Touareg of a V6 TDI with 265/70/17's, .....looked great, and would no doubt do the job,....but has anyone got any real idea of what the likely impact of such a tyre would be on the drive train, the steering, and the trip computer ? ..... would it be seriously detrimental (damaging) or would it just be inconvenient until one returned to normal/standard size rims/tyres ?
Any advice from anyone in the know would be gretaly appreciated.

Moonan
09-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi bobt,
Welcome to VWWatercooled and (if your treg is new) congratulations on buying this awesome machine.
To help answer your questions, we all share your frustration about lack of information and lack of easy-to-get stuff for the T in this country...
As far as the drivetrain is concerned, I don't think that you can do it much harm with minor mods to your V6. It has been built to handle the mighty V10 and even the W12.
The fitting of slightly larger tyres will of course affect the rolling circumference of your wheels, and so the speedo / odometer. All VW speedos read high by design (VW policy to avoid speeding tickets) but the odometer and trip computer functions are accurate with the standard tyres. Use something like the tyre size calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
to check the likely effect of any change you think of. For stock size of 255/60 (VW website) The size you have quoted would give a circumference increase of 8.8%. This will result in a slightly taller gearing, and will fix your speedo error, but your odometer and trip computer will gain this error. Coopers and BFGs are run by various members here and on Club Touareg and seem OK. Make sure you get a speed rating well in excess of your maximum driving speed. You are unlikely to be able to buy an off-road tyre with a speed rating up to the originals.

Cheers,

..Neil

dmm_au
10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Any advice from anyone in the know would be gretaly appreciated.

I'm booked in to get some Pirelli Scorpion AT's 235/65/17 on Saturday.
They are slightly thinner than the stock tyre, but supported by VW on the same 17 inch rim.

The Pirelli's score better than the Coopers in this review.
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tips_tyres.php

I'll provide feedback when I've done some driving on them.

Sunshineviking
14-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm booked in to get some Pirelli Scorpion AT's 235/65/17 on Saturday.
They are slightly thinner than the stock tyre, but supported by VW on the same 17 inch rim.

The Pirelli's score better than the Coopers in this review.
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tips_tyres.php

I'll provide feedback when I've done some driving on them.

Hi - If you don't mind me asking - what price did you get these for? how are they going - I know it's early days yet...but I am going to have to ditch the Dunlops pretty soon:???:

dmm_au
15-04-2008, 11:36 AM
The best price I got was $330 per tyre. I belive the margin on tyres is probably 50%, so I expect I could have done better, if not for the requirement to trade in my Pirelli Rossos at a good price as part of the deal (I got $200 a wheel).

So far, I'm very happy with my purchase decision.
Drove to the Toolangi state forrest and went down some fire tracks.
Drove down windy mountain roads in light rain.

Excellent traction, and perhaps a little more road noise, but I find the Touareg's cabin well insulated.

I wasn't game to try them in the mud, as I was alone, and didn't have anyone to snatch me out if it went badly. The reviews say they are good, and the on-road trade off seems minimal.

I like that they meet the VW spec as shown on the placard, which makes me feel better if I do need to make a warranty claim.

Note I got the Pirelli Scorpion AT, not ATR. The ATRs claim to be better onroad, but the ATs were the ones I had seen reviewed and were available.
I may end up with ATRs eventually as Pirelli are to replace the ATs.

Sunshineviking
15-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the prompt Reply

Looks like they'll do the trick then... Just need to start saving up:rolleyes:

cheers again

OILSLURPER
17-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, I hope all is well over in Vortex land; seems like clubtourage is dead this time, its been down for days, a real shame to see all of that information and data go down the tube.......

After only 25,000km I need new tyres. The stock rubbers (total rubbish) are near slicks and I think I want to buy Coopers. I know there was a lot of stuff about Tyres on CTreg, but with it gone I cant search. I have an R5 TDI 2005 model running the stock rims. My question is what model and size Cooper should I be looking at. Majority of driving (90%) will be on city roads.

Any comments on Coopers ? Pro's/Con's ?

As a side line, the VW Dealer told me that that a regular Tyre fitter cant do an alignment on a Touareg (I can hear you laughing), I should have the dealer do the alignment, my assumption is anyone who sells Coopers knows 4WD's and shouldnt have any issues;any comments ?

Im also curious what I should be paying for these (I live in metro Melbourne).

Any advice would be much appreciated

Dave (oznino)

Have you checked out the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's? No fit on 19's..but they report in the US SUV tyre surveys as No1. They seem to fit 17" and 18" OEM. I'm looking for a set of OEM 17" / 18" so I can get on the dirt.

dmm_au
30-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I've just got back from a 1000+ round trip through the Grampians.
The new Pirelli Scorpions (AT not ATR) went very well on both the highway and the dirt and rock tracks.

The track report proved valuable. When they say a track is good, it really is.
I'd recommend the Grampians to any T'regers wanting to get of road, but not wanting to damage their new vehicle.

Still haven't tackled mud.

T Rex
29-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi Bob (bobzed57)
Just picked up my new V6 TDI along with a naked spare which I will carry inside when appropriate. Car came with Pirelli Rossos which are clearly not appropriate for 4WD trips. I would like to fit a tyre on the spare wheel which will also eventually replace the OEM tyres. Everything I have read about the Scorpion ATRs sounds good - are you still happy with yours? Seems like 245/65R17s are a good fit.
Cheers

Geoff

dmm_au
29-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Bob (bobzed57)
Just picked up my new V6 TDI along with a naked spare which I will carry inside when appropriate. Car came with Pirelli Rossos which are clearly not appropriate for 4WD trips. I would like to fit a tyre on the spare wheel which will also eventually replace the OEM tyres. Everything I have read about the Scorpion ATRs sounds good - are you still happy with yours? Seems like 245/65R17s are a good fit.
Cheers

Geoff

I think this question may be directed at me. I've now tried the Pirelli Scorpions in some pretty soupy mud, which filled the tread. Still managed to go everywhere.

I chose the 235/65/17 size as it's supported by the tyre placard, and I wanted to avoid any warranty issues, where VW might claim that an unsupported sized tyre might have contributed to <whatever>.

In hindsight I would have got a slightly larger tyre, like Sumar has. My speedo reads a little low, and a slightly larger tyre would fix the speedo and get me a little more ground clearance. If all 4 tyre wear evenly, perhaps I'll upgrade to a larger size next time.

The AT's do produce noticable road noise, but the car is quite well insulated and I can just turn the radio up. I think it might annoy some people who want a quieter ride.

T Rex
01-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Thought I would bring this up again. Has anyone tried the new Pirelli Scorpion ATRs? I'm thinking of fitting one on my naked spare wheel and eventually to the other four. US reviews seem good although some folks report out of round when left for a while. Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers

Sunshineviking
29-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Has anyone tried the new Pirelli Scorpion ATRs? I'm thinking of fitting one on my naked spare wheel and eventually to the other four.
Cheers

Hi T Rex

I just fitted four Maxxis Marauder -S1's to my R5 and have been well impressed so far :)

On Road - 50% quieter than the Dunflops they replaced
Dirt and sand - great traction
Fuel consumption - 10% improvement over the last 2000kms
Tyre wear - bit early to say but no obvious signs of wear yet

Price - less than $250 a tyre from Bob Janes - includes a 4 wheel alignment.

Hope that helps

Kroggy
27-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Bit late, but for other members: Checkout www.tirerack.com

They ship to Australia for about $50-60USD /tyre.

Jamie

T Rex
29-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Yesterday I replaced my Pirelli Zero Rossos with a set of 245/65/17 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. The Zero Rossos had only done 22,000km of easy driving and were almost down to the treadwear indicators!!

The Scorpion ATRs look and feel good on the car and hopefully will live up to their reputation. In the USA they are guaranteed for 50,000 miles! There is absolutely no doubt that their grip off the black stuff will be hugely superior.

I'll let you know how they go. Cheers. Geoff

Transporter
29-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry to hear that your tyres lasted only 22,000km. Ours (Pirelli P Zero Rosso) @25,000 km still have almost 4mm remaining. I rotate 5 of them every 5,000km always pumped up to max. pressure and I can see that they are wearing out evenly. My daughter drives the car every day (80% city driving 20% country driving, no off road yet) that's probably why they last. :biggrin:

T Rex
30-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks Transporter. I'm pleased to say the P Zero Rossos did wear evenly - I agree max tyre pressure is important. Our driving is about 80% country, 20% suburban. Legally I probably had another 5000 km left but I would not like to drive the car on those tyres in a downpour with so little tread. For those interested in the Scorpion ATRs they are not always off-the-shelf. We waited two weeks for a new batch which had just reached the wharves. $315 each at Bob Jane.

harks11
13-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Thought I would bring this up again. Has anyone tried the new Pirelli Scorpion ATRs? I'm thinking of fitting one on my naked spare wheel and eventually to the other four. US reviews seem good although some folks report out of round when left for a while. Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers

Hey T Rex, Can you give an update of how the ATRs went. My tyres are up for a change and these read pretty good

Transporter
13-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey T Rex, Can you give an update of how the ATRs went. My tyres are up for a change and these read pretty good

Hi harks11,
What Treg and what tyres do you have at the moment? How many km's?
Our Treg done now 30,000km and I'm looking for the new tyres now.
I'd like to get something that will last more than 35,000km.

harks11
13-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Transporter, I have a 2007 TD6.( I assume 5x130 studs) Pretty stock standard and very happy with it. I have 42000 klms on the original Goodyear Wranglers 255 60R17. Probably 50k will see them out. I have been considering the Pirelli 245 65 ATRs. They get great wraps in most of the reviews I have read. I still do mostly road miles with time fishing in the mountains, so always worried about the sidewall.

The other thing I want to do is get a spare rim and put a real tyre on it. Not much around so it looks like I am up for the $600 from VW. ouch !! Anyone out there with another option keen to try

Transporter
13-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah, spare tyre, I bought original rim from VW as well, don't recall now how much it was but I think it was less than $600, no regrets, it was quick and convenient. I put the same Pirelli PZerro Rosso on it to match the rest of the tyres, so I'm able to rotate 5 tyres.
So far no mods and no plans for any, plenty of power and good handling as is.

sparky
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi,just had some fitted...any experience with these?? Regards S

T Rex
02-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Hi Harks

Have now done 9000 km on the ATRs and I am very happy with them. Excellent grip in the wet or dry, no wear showing yet and much better off road than the standard tyres. Very faint tyre noise on smooth bitumen. Happy camper. Cheers

Geoff

harks11
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks, sounds like a plan

GB24
31-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I have just recently replaced the P Zero Rosso's on my v6 with some Cooper Zeon XST 275/55R17. They are awesome, quieter, stickier and look good too. They have a 109v Load Rating, higher than the Pirelli tyres, but have the same diameter, according to Cooper (no speedo error ( but according to my GPS the speedo is not very accurate anyway, 8% low at 100kph)).
Cooper tell me I should get better than 50,000km out of the tyres, I only got 42,000km on the Pirelli's. Happy chappy.

Greg

essay
07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi,just had some fitted...any experience with these?? Regards S

I have RH07, very good, no probes, especially below $1000 fitted 275/45/20. I tow and drive on unsealed pot holed roads daily.