PDA

View Full Version : Vietnamese built Volkswagen's to join list

phaeton
26-03-2007, 08:05 PM
http://english.vietnamnet.vn/biz/2007/03/677420/

Looks like VW is looking at Asia-Pacific region very seriously but Vietnam is crazy choice IMO.

I would have thought Thailand would have been better seeing as though VWs future 1 tonne pick up could be built in 2nd Biggest Ute Market.

Vietnam must have some strategic offerings for VW.

So VGA may send us Malaysian, Indian, Chinese, Vietmanese etc in the not to distant future ;)

nick1234
21-04-2007, 05:10 PM
God, if that happens I won't buy a VW ever again ... apart from a German one of course.

Enough (everything) is made in China already and it all ends of in the bin after a couple of days ...

zjm
21-04-2007, 09:35 PM
every other day an islamic terrorist blows something up in thailand and theyve just had another military coup
on the other hand vietnam won a war against france ,usa ,australia and new zealand etc and have had a stable government since 1975 Id rather spend billions of dollars there
australian made vws were probably the worst ever including china and german made vws are pretty rare in australia even today

gpk_gti
21-04-2007, 10:45 PM
ohh god ,whats next?? first malaysia now vietnam??? might as well buy a astra if thats the case!j: unless it can be proved to me without a doubt about the reliability of these "other than germany made" cars,they wont be bought by me( and at least half the other members here...so if that is 10k cars in australia,they will loose half.they snuck up on us with the S.A built cars with questionable build qual,dont think the asian built cars will get past us.
hey phaeton,how many 4 door with boot POLO's were sold here last year??(china build)??? that would be a good indicator!!! ive only seen 1 on the road EVER!!!

phaeton
22-04-2007, 09:37 AM
hey phaeton,how many 4 door with boot POLO's were sold here last year??(china build)??? that would be a good indicator!!! ive only seen 1 on the road EVER!!!

Don't have a clue, I know its more than the W8 Passat ::pokes tongue::

VGA Boss Jutta Dierks stated in GoAuto mag they're re considering bringing Chinese built VWs as both parties learn't their mistake 1st time eg pricing, logistics etc.

gtiono
22-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey maybe they will have a noodle bowl holder in the newer models :-)

I don't think we need to panic fellas. If the market (us people) insist on nothing less than Germany made vehicles, then VW will not give us anything less as these guys take their brand very seriously.

Perhaps VW is looking to move into the cheap, not so reliable people movers market because they see some profitability there - maybe with a complete rebadge (like the way they rebadge seat and skoda brands for different markets)

I reckon VW owners in AUS are generally a bit too tribal and passionate to settle for a non Germany made vehicle and I'm sure VW knows that.

If not we need to tell them so :-)

ohh god ,whats next?? first malaysia now vietnam??? might as well buy a astra if thats the case!j: unless it can be proved to me without a doubt about the reliability of these "other than germany made" cars,they wont be bought by me( and at least half the other members here...so if that is 10k cars in australia,they will loose half.they snuck up on us with the S.A built cars with questionable build qual,dont think the asian built cars will get past us.

nick1234
22-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I have never ever seen a Polo sedan here, and I'm glad I didn't. Likewise, there are hardly any new Polo hatches around :o(

Amazingly, the Polo sedans are still so bloody expensive even though the quality seems to be next to rubbish (The Australian Road Test).

However, I think these new made in China sedans make an excellant use for parts ;) All the China stuff that I got at home from BigW lasted days only. I keep bringing it back to the store, the only solution to the problem. The only product I'd voluntarily buy from that part of the world is a laundry basket for $3 ! U just can't do much wrong with that !

Are all the Astra models imported from Germany btw ? I reckon they sell really well because of that plus because many customers think they are in fact buying an Australian brand ;o)

GoLfMan
22-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I have never ever seen a Polo sedan here, and I'm glad I didn't. Likewise, there are hardly any new Polo hatches around :o(

Amazingly, the Polo sedans are still so bloody expensive even though the quality seems to be next to rubbish (The Australian Road Test).

However, I think these new made in China sedans make an excellant use for parts ;) All the China stuff that I got at home from BigW lasted days only. I keep bringing it back to the store, the only solution to the problem. The only product I'd voluntarily buy from that part of the world is a laundry basket for $3 ! U just can't do much wrong with that !

Are all the Astra models imported from Germany btw ? I reckon they sell really well because of that plus because many customers think they are in fact buying an Australian brand ;o)

yes Atras are built and shipped from germany ;) pretty solid car, good quality.

i wont stand for a VW made in any of asia..... i really do hope that VW doesnt go down the same path as every other car company and cut costs and quality! :(

aprr32
22-04-2007, 05:31 PM
We have a few Polo sedans that we service and looking underneath most of the parts have been made in Germany,France Portugal,Spain and Hungary, if build quality is an issue it must be the way theyr'e screwed together.

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 06:33 PM
We have a few Polo sedans that we service and looking underneath most of the parts have been made in Germany,France Portugal,Spain and Hungary, if build quality is an issue it must be the way theyr'e screwed together.

interesting! have you seen many come back with "issues" greater than german built vdubs??

phaeton
22-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Actually I think you'll find most of the Astra range is built in Belguim ;)

As for the Polo Sedan falling apart after day 2 thats just rubbish ::pokes tongue::

I believe the reason they have held residuals so high is because no one has driven them enough yet.

I for one think it does not matter where its built but how its engineered is whats important.

Look at Honda most of the Jazz's & Civic's come out of Thailand and they're pretty reliable.

FAW-VW & Shanghai VW are always near the mid to top in the Chinese JD Surveys, Toyota's top ;)

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I was only joking about the astra! didnt mean for it to take over the thread,I said it as a opposite to the golf.... getit:? :D

phaeton
22-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I was only joking about the astra! didnt mean for it to take over the thread,I said it as a opposite to the golf.... getit:? :D

Thats Ok I was just correcting everyone ;)

nick1234
24-04-2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,12336955-13232,00.html

if quality and reliablity are that good, why are there hardly any Asian cars in Europe ?

phaeton
24-04-2007, 07:05 PM

if quality and reliablity are that good, why are there hardly any Asian cars in Europe ?

Have you seen the Polo GTI "Problems Thread" or Passat thread "Rattles" indeed some cars have problems and some don't.

VW really need to improve quality problems like this, they maybe little but can be very annoying.

From what VW tell press and public, they are working on it ;)

Asian cars in Europe are on the rise Toyota recorded growth, the Chinese and Indians are invading.

The Asian cars % in Europe maybe small but the growth is proof that is changing.

gpk_gti
24-04-2007, 08:28 PM

cough cough ,, TOLD YOU SO!!!! untill they prove without a doubt that these cars built in china are just as good,we will be reading articles like this forever....
I said it and ill say it again,,im only buying a VW built in Germany.
ill buy a Seat from spain,skoda from Cz or a Chinacar from china(sic) but buying something that is not what its supposed to be ,,,forget it....

ps,,,maybe they should come up with a new badge for the chinese built vdubs???

syncro
24-04-2007, 08:31 PM
ps,,,maybe they should come up with a new badge for the chinese built vdubs???

Santana:confused:

phaeton
24-04-2007, 08:45 PM
cough cough ,, TOLD YOU SO!!!! untill they prove without a doubt that these cars built in china are just as good,we will be reading articles like this forever....

I remember reading an article about the Jetta having creaks also the Touareg.

If you read "Rattles" thread in Passat section you'll see the Germans don't get it right too.

Really the whole range needs to be built rattle free, perhaps VW should go back to testing in the Outback like Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi, GM Daewoo, SsangYong, Roewe (Chinese brand) & many others.

gpk_gti
24-04-2007, 08:56 PM
they do african testing dont they? and north pole?? stop standing up for them ben,its all profit driven not quality driven,,, offer me a vw golf for $15k,because thats all a chinese built golf will ever be worth(chinese labour costs are 2/3rds cheaper than europe) . they are not building these cars there for the consumer benefit...only for the shareholders.:mad:
there is still too much stigma with chinese built products and in their mad rush for profits they are by passing the time it takes to get the quality right.
I never said they should not build a factory there to service their own country.

also another thing,,, if we are rushing to service the asian market in a mad rush for profits,its the beginning of the end for fossil fuel cars because if the chinese begin to consume like the americans (not far off) the will need the resources of 6 planet earths!!!!!!!!!!! to sustain their energy needs(source sbs doco on NOW)!!!! so I hope you guys are saving your pennies when fuel becomes $20per litre!!

phaeton
24-04-2007, 09:06 PM
So are you a "Made In Germany" only buyer ?

or would you buy Dubs from Mexico, Slovakia, China, Brazil, Spain and Sth Africa etc

gpk_gti
24-04-2007, 09:18 PM
u should know me by now ben,,, VWs are made in Germany!!
wonder how many aussies would accept a commodore/falcon made in China????

phaeton
24-04-2007, 09:39 PM
lol I'll never convince Yiorgos :D ::Pokes Tongue::

gpk_gti
24-04-2007, 09:47 PM
no you wont!!! and one day you will understand me!!
:tongue out like gene symonds::)

nick1234
26-04-2007, 10:33 AM
All right mate,

you've got a point here. I admit seeing more Toyota's and Honda's in Europe than a couple of years ago and they are selling increasingly more down there. But they've got a very low resale value compared to European cars and the moment you touch the bloody door handle you realise it's not even getting close in quality to a VW, BMW etc.

However, China and Korea hardly sell any cars over there - i.e.: I have only seen 1Kia in Germany in my entire life.

As for the Polo thread, I can see your anger and disappointment and I agree with you that VW built quality is nowadays less good compared to many years ago and they really have to sort things out. One major reason why I wanted to hold on to my 21 year old Golf MK2. But again many of your VW's come from SA and there seem to be quality differences as well (see MK2 Golf thread). I just drove the new Golf last summer in Germany and it felt very solid.

My current 1998 Polo in NSW is made in Germany still and I am quite happy, will keep it as long as possible.

phaeton
26-04-2007, 12:18 PM
All right mate,

you've got a point here. I admit seeing more Toyota's and Honda's in Europe than a couple of years ago and they are selling increasingly more down there. But they've got a very low resale value compared to European cars and the moment you touch the bloody door handle you realise it's not even getting close in quality to a VW, BMW etc.

However, China and Korea hardly sell any cars over there - i.e.: I have only seen 1Kia in Germany in my entire life.

As for the Polo thread, I can see your anger and disappointment and I agree with you that VW built quality is nowadays less good compared to many years ago and they really have to sort things out. One major reason why I wanted to hold on to my 21 year old Golf MK2. But again many of your VW's come from SA and there seem to be quality differences as well (see MK2 Golf thread). I just drove the new Golf last summer in Germany and it felt very solid.

My current 1998 Polo in NSW is made in Germany still and I am quite happy, will keep it as long as possible.

I guess you haven't seen Kia Cee'd's, factory is doing very well http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2225 :O

Sorry to say your Polo is Spanish built :D, to my knowledge VW haven't built a Polo in Germany since the versions prior to Type 6N (your model) ;)

nick1234
01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Frankly Ben, I refuse to acknowledge that factory's very existence! ;)

It strikes me further that you might be in fact on the wrong forum ! The “I can’t get enough of Kia & Co.” forum is elsewhere, I believe – hehehehe :D

Btw. as far as I know, the Polo itself was made in Germany (even the language on the motorblock is German and states - Made in Germany) - however, headlights and bumpers were made in Spain. I am absolutely positive about this ! ;O)

What cars do you have mate ? - interested !

syncro
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Most VW engines are made in Germany (Kassel).
Not many VWs but.

phaeton
01-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Frankly Ben, I refuse to acknowledge that factory's very existence! ;)

It strikes me further that you might be in fact on the wrong forum ! The “I can’t get enough of Kia & Co.” forum is elsewhere, I believe – hehehehe :D

Btw. as far as I know, the Polo itself was made in Germany (even the language on the motorblock is German and states - Made in Germany) - however, headlights and bumpers were made in Spain. I am absolutely positive about this ! ;O)

What cars do you have mate ? - interested !

LOL j: @ the current moment my current transport is Public Tranport as I'm on my Ls ;)