PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen car paints

rayray086
26-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm after the right paint to use for some touch-ups for my candy white Mk3 - colour coded LB9A. I've tried Super Cheap and all that, but they don't have the exact paint. Where else can I go?

pommy_golfer
26-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Main dealer would be your best bet, you dont want to buy some touch up and find out its not exact......it might cost you a bit more but at least you know your getting the exact VW colour!

i need some too...let me know how you get on..

BlackVr6ix
26-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that I can mix it for you at work (will check on saturday), but i dont know the legalities of sending paint via auspost.

phaeton
26-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that I can mix it for you at work (will check on saturday), but i dont know the legalities of sending paint via auspost.

It would be classed Flammable or if not flammable it would be classed Toxic :D lol
I doubt it would get too far in the post ;)

I agree with Pommy unless you can pay a visit to BlackVr6ix ;)

BlackVr6ix
26-03-2007, 03:28 PM
It would be classed Flammable or if not flammable it would be classed Toxic :D lol
I doubt it would get too far in the post ;)

I agree with Pommy unless you can pay a visit to BlackVr6ix ;)

Thats what i was thinking, if you find that it can be sent via aus post and i have a valid mix for your paint code. i can mix 100ml tins of paint for about $12 + postage (or pickup)

DubSteve
26-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Thats what i was thinking, if you find that it can be sent via aus post and i have a valid mix for your paint code. i can mix 100ml tins of paint for about $12 + postage (or pickup)

Wow this would be awesome.

I would love to be able to use abit of touch up paint on my one till the Respray WOOSSHHHH lol.

rayray086
26-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I would love to be able to use abit of touch up paint on my one till the Respray WOOSSHHHH lol.

My car's rusting :( I'll be trying to fix it up before the Nats hopefully so I'll need the paint now! I was hoping for another solution, but I suppose with the dealer, I won't go wrong. Thanks for the offer BlackVr6ix; if I was living in Melbourne then I would definitely go to you, but I'd rather just pick it up myself!

static1800
26-03-2007, 09:05 PM
where is it rusting rayray?

would like to get some to had a clear coat and a green one in my mk1 very handy.

rayray086
26-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Bottom door sills, 3 out of 4 :cry: One side is being eaten out pretty badly, whereas the other sides are just beginning. All are under the seal. Wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for a great big stain I found when cleaning the car up. Hit me right in the gut when I first saw it.

gpk_gti
26-03-2007, 11:03 PM
go to RPM spares at penshurst.its on Forest rd.Google them and call,ask for Theo(the owner) and tell him I referred you for a discount.
dont forget that paint fades,as I have found out(doing some fixing up as well!! thats why the sprayers blend a colour to get that even finish.ive also found a REALLY good spray painter if you need one.
pm me if you need any more details.

rayray086
27-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks George - the site is down at the moment so I'll give it the site a visit later today. Hope it'll be up.

The parts I'm trying to de-rust and touch up are actually underneath seals, so I'm more worried about keeping it rust-free than anything!

gpk_gti
27-03-2007, 07:41 AM
souldnt be any rust mate,all vdubs are galvanised(im sure) dont they have a 10yr warranty?????

static1800
27-03-2007, 08:16 AM
yeh i was thinking that, send us a pic of it rayray.

rayray086
27-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I'll take some pics later today - at Uni at the moment. My car was manufactured in 1995 so if there was a 10 year warranty, I'm not eligible for it anyway :(

vinderliker
27-03-2007, 12:41 PM
There are a couple of options rather than doing it yourself. There a companies like ChipsAway, Ducomagic etc. These guys are trained and have good systems that work well as a lot of dealers use them. I had a ChipsAway franchise until I got ill, and my customers were always happy with the results.
If you want to do it yourself, go to a Auto Paint supplier who supply the Panel beaters, spray painters. They can make up cans and pots. Both ways a more expensive than Autpro etc but the results will proof in the pudding.
For rust, kill it with dexodine then sand it fill it sand again and spray away, just be sure of what paint you get like two pak etc.

PS, I wish I never sold all my paint repair stuff I had!!
James

I'm after the right paint to use for some touch-ups for my candy white Mk3 - colour coded LB9A. I've tried Super Cheap and all that, but they don't have the exact paint. Where else can I go?

RedMk2Gti
27-03-2007, 10:49 PM
cos you're in Western Sydney, this may be more handy for you
VG Auto Paints
11 Amax Ave
Girraween
www.vgautopaints.com.au

I had my Mk2 red paint from them, perfect match. Just tell them the paint code you want.

rayray086
27-03-2007, 11:52 PM
cos you're in Western Sydney, this may be more handy for you
VG Auto Paints
11 Amax Ave
Girraween
www.vgautopaints.com.au

I had my Mk2 red paint from them, perfect match. Just tell them the paint code you want.

Thanks for that RedMk2Gti. I used to go to Girraween High, so that's an easier location for me.

DaveMack
28-03-2007, 12:57 AM

Hmmm ... a bit far to pick up from Qld. But it's good to know someone who could do that.

peedman
28-03-2007, 08:04 AM
The way to send paints is thru a courier which costs a little more. Thats what i had done when i got my hobby paints :D

Just had a look at vg auto paints site and they do custom colour in a can!!$!%!#% So perfect for DIY jobs :)

BlackVr6ix
28-03-2007, 08:42 AM
The way to send paints is thru a courier which costs a little more. Thats what i had done when i got my hobby paints :D

Just had a look at vg auto paints site and they do custom colour in a can!!$!%!#% So perfect for DIY jobs :)

Thats basically what i can do too, they'll have a PPG mixing setup. all you do is punch in the code and it tells you what mix of what you need. and all you have to do is mix it properly into either a tin or an aerosol.

syncro
28-03-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll take some pics later today - at Uni at the moment. My car was manufactured in 1995 so if there was a 10 year warranty, I'm not eligible for it anyway :(

Warranty starts from first registration which could be 2 or 3 years later.

rayray086
28-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Warranty starts from first registration which could be 2 or 3 years later.

Ahh so it's from when it first rolls off the dealer... Anyhow, it was first registered late 1996, so I just missed it :( The rust may have started last year too, so it was a bit silly of me to not give the car a thorough look over once in a while.

I've no idea where the digital camera is, so mobile phone pics will do for now:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/03/Picture0037-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/03/Picture0038-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/03/Picture0039-2.jpg

The black lines that look like cracks are just dirty stuff.

gpk_gti
28-03-2007, 06:52 PM
is that under the rubber on the drivers door? or the boot? mate looks bad!! these cars are definatley galvanised so there should be no rust?? am I right guys??
maybe the car has been repaired/resprayed?? and not prepped right? or has it lived its life next to the ocean? very strange. id be worried,where else could it be??:(

rayray086
28-03-2007, 07:09 PM
They're under the rubber on 3 out of 4 side doors. Managed to take the rubber seals out and found some disturbing stuff :( Took out the superficial layer, so now I'm left with sanding this down :

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/03/CIMG6084-1.jpg

It looks like it took a chunk of the metal, but it's only the surface. However, I don't know how deep it goes, though parts of it are showing bare metal already. I haven't checked the other areas yet, but they all seem to appear in the same position, though this particular one looks most severe.

Not happy at all. I'm the third owner. Second owner I knew (cousin-in-law) and he took care of it. I got no idea about the first owner. Other problem areas are the window seals. Got some paint flaking off and some fish eye bubbling out in one area. Looks very much like it has been resprayed :???: Though I have the service manual and log books, suggesting none of that has been done.

Oh well, it's my first car; it'll be a learning experience for me. I'll try my hand at removing rust and touching up, and learn to check for problems earlier.

Edit: Bought the paint from VG Auto Paints. Good service and patience. Help suggested how to apply the paint and all. Paint was formulated quickly too; I only had to wait 5 minutes! Was a tad expensive for a can of spray paint ($25) but I'm not complaining too much, considering I can't find it in general auto shops.

gpk_gti
28-03-2007, 07:16 PM
bet you its had a full respray and maybe a big hit that needed those areas to be rubbed and resprayed!!! get it done properly mate,dont risk it!!

static1800
28-03-2007, 07:30 PM
yeh get it done asap rayray.