PDA

View Full Version : Can't read the oil level

Coaster
10-04-2010, 12:14 AM
My dealer recommended that I check the oil level a couple of times in the first few thousand k's. Having done 1500k's now and checked the stick twice, I'm finding it really hard to see the where the top of the oil is on the stick. The thin oil these days is so hard to see! There is oil on it, so I shrug and figure it's fine. (yes, I leave the car on a flat area for a long time and then check).

Am I supposed to be able to see it clearly? Or do others have the same problem? Any tips for finding the level?

Russ59
16-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I had the same problem with my '08 GT TDI, it had a poorly designed stupid black dipstick, I sprayed the tip with the some white spray enamel (proper spray car enamel - thinners based) and it makes it much easy to read now. It's been on for nearly 2 years and hasn't come off as yet, Just make sure you give it a good few hours to dry before sliding it back in the engine.

Coaster
19-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Nice idea! Thanks Russ.

yowie
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Really silly problem for sure.
If you had set out to design an unreadable dip-stick, short of using another language (?), and I dont want to know what that would even look like, it couldn't be worse than our TDI's. As well as trying to read black on black, little bumps cast a shadow over the read area.
Nice idea, white paint, but unless it is heat-proof animal, would it be good for the internals? when it eventually wears off just as the warranty expires.