PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Yeti Availability?

Tigster
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have further information on the release of the Yeti in Australia?

I find it totally puzzling by Skoda Oz to not have any information as this could be there "hero" car and this is despite the fact that they have been available in NZ for some time.

Just makes you wonder how serious the Australian Skoda operation is about being a manufacturer with long term prospects. And what about the Fabia now that it's been updated???:confused:

K1W1
08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't believe that the Yeti is actually available in NZ. Yes there is information on the Skoda NZ web site but if you look at the pricing page it says "available from August" on an April 2010 price list.

As I understand things August is around the time the Yeti is likely to be released here so that would coincide with NZ.

The Fabia is believed to be a cost issue in that Skoda Australia can't get a good enough price from the factory to be able to market them against the cars competitors in Australia. The Skoda NZ site also shows facelift Fabia and Combi models available Q3 2010 so who knows maybe Australia will get the new model. It seems silly to introduce a model now that is in the process of being replaced anyway.

phaeton
08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Most likely end of year after Syd Motor Show in October.

Jake02
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
If you look in the Skoda NZ used car section there are a few Yetis that are in dealers with demo kms. The TDI auto deliveries start there in July so I'd assume that Skoda Australia wants the DSG as part of the range, especially as the sales hits the Scout is taking with no auto available, so sometime after that (and hopefully sooner than later, I am seriously eager for this one).

Skoda Australia piss me off. They're not eager to sell cars, and the lack of them on the roads really gets up my nose. They barely adverise. I send in designs after them filming the Convince Your Better Half ad at my house and haven't replied. Their cars are flawed in some way (Superbs are too expensive, base Octavias have awful engines and Roomsters don't have enough equipment/a lack of DSG TDI, and also that there's no Yeti/Fabia here yet). God I hope they're reading this, because my ultimate fear is a car in a country where the company who made it are no longer present, and with the way they're going that's what's gonna happen! I'd say VW Aus are having a part in this too...

K1W1
09-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Skoda Australia piss me off. They're not eager to sell cars, and the lack of them on the roads really gets up my nose.

I'd disagree with that. I see other Skodas (different ones) in Melbourne probably a couple of times a week and the frequency is increasing. I would say that there are plenty of cars being sold although they seem to be almost exclusively Octavia's. It's only 12-15 years since you saw less Golfs on the road in Australia than you see Skodas now so I have no concerns about their long term viability or plans for Australia as the VW group has demonstrated theat they are not short term thinkers.

Jake02
09-04-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd disagree with that. I see other Skodas (different ones) in Melbourne probably a couple of times a week and the frequency is increasing. I would say that there are plenty of cars being sold although they seem to be almost exclusively Octavia's.

Well it must depend on the city, maybe Skodas appeal more to Melbournians to Sydney Siders, I'm not sure. Up here it's barren to say the least, maybe three a week so i think you can see my worry/annoyance.

woofy
09-04-2010, 01:59 PM
3 a week is huge!

aslsw
09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I would say that I rate one a day on average. Last weekend was a bit sparse, as we were camping at the south coast and didn't see any.

But no that I'm driving to work every day, I reckon I see at least one somewhere in traffic (excluding the one that lives across the road). Some days maybe two or three and weekends maybe less.

Skoda Convert
09-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Kiwi, the statistics seem to show that Jake02 is right on the money, Skoda are slowly falling off the cliff. Vfacts have them down this month another 20% (overall market grew by 25%) off the back of around a 7% decrease last month.

Annually they are only about 10% more, this is incredible given the fact that this time 12 months ago it was an old model and less of them to offer. They have since launched the Superb and the new Octavia (much superior replacement) and have made virtually no in roads.

It raises serious doubts as to whether the Yeti will even be launched, we have a dollar that is stronger than NZ and heading toward parity with US and yet they claim pricing is holding them back?? There couldn't be a better time to bring the Yeti in

The Octavia and Superb are more expensive than their VW equivalents (this in itself is insanity) and Advertising is absolutely non existent. Case in point, the Superb Wagon was due for launch this month and just recently won Top Gear Luxury Car of The Year, has anyone seen any advertising on this?

I love the product and own it but i am convinced the reality is it's life span in OZ will be brief.

K1W1
09-04-2010, 08:04 PM
I can only say what I said before that the frequency that I see Skodas on the road is increasing and I don't live or generally travel close to any dealers. That doesn't mean that overall sales are rosey. Maybe they are maybe they aren't but where I live and drive there are more Skodas than there were 12 months ago.
I don't believe that they are going anywhere (as in leaving the country) any time soon perhaps I'm right, perhaps I'm wrong but that doesn't worry me either way. I brought the Skoda because in many ways it was unusual and different but it has something not many unusual and different cars have - it's essentially a VW and regardless of what happens to the brand there will always be a supply of basic parts and services.
I've already mentioned VW sales 15 or so years ago, they were minute you rarely saw a Golf that wasn't 20 years old and yet look at them now, same goes with Audi. In the 1980's they were the laughing stock of the car industry and nobody in their right mind would buy one. Did they pack up and go home? Would you buy an Audi today? Global car manufacturers like VW have long term global ambitions and plans. Introducing a make to a country is not something they often do on a whim and not something that's a short term project so I'll back my judgement at the moment until I see proof otherwise from Skoda.

Jake02
09-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm not saying that they're gonna leave, although I worry about it. I reckon that their sales last month were just a low month (much like Honda are having at the moment...although Skodas are nice cars...) because they've been to 155 before. We know that there are more and more people on this forum all the time, many who still have cars on order so Skoda sales are definitely not falling off the cliff. Of course I know that a new brand takes time, but I'd expect sales to have reached at least 200.

The biggest annoyance for me is that Skoda advertising is at the same level they were when they arrived (actually, less, because we don't have the sand-car Octavia RS ad at every ad break). They're just expecting word-of-mouth to bring them sales - not gonna work guys! Then they don't listen too
- I bet they don't even read this or any other form of Skoda owners' opinions. I'm pretty sure we know best, because we want to see more of them on the road.

The frequency is increasing for me (well, the average is anyway) and I now have a firm base of 4 Skodas in my area. Sure that's fine, yep. I know that more will be there eventually, so I hope that Skoda has the money/guts to stay here (which, judging on Skoda worldwide's sales, they do).

Transporter
10-04-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm not saying that they're gonna leave, although I worry about it. I reckon that their sales last month were just a low month (much like Honda are having at the moment...although Skodas are nice cars...) because they've been to 155 before. We know that there are more and more people on this forum all the time, many who still have cars on order so Skoda sales are definitely not falling off the cliff. Of course I know that a new brand takes time, but I'd expect sales to have reached at least 200.

The biggest annoyance for me is that Skoda advertising is at the same level they were when they arrived (actually, less, because we don't have the sand-car Octavia RS ad at every ad break). They're just expecting word-of-mouth to bring them sales - not gonna work guys! Then they don't listen too
- I bet they don't even read this or any other form of Skoda owners' opinions. I'm pretty sure we know best, because we want to see more of them on the road.

The frequency is increasing for me (well, the average is anyway) and I now have a firm base of 4 Skodas in my area. Sure that's fine, yep. I know that more will be there eventually, so I hope that Skoda has the money/guts to stay here (which, judging on Skoda worldwide's sales, they do).

I think that if they advertise 24/7 on TV and in other medias it wouldn't bring them any significant increase in sales. There is only so much advertising can do for you the rest is up to the people. I also don't see many ads for BMW and other manufacturers and they're doing ok.

bobski
10-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I was telling one of the new people at work about my car, and they though that the Skoda was ordered online or something. No clue about it :)

Skoda Convert
10-04-2010, 11:28 PM
but I'd expect sales to have reached at least 200.

this is may point exactly, given the superior build quality and technology the 200 figure nationally should be a walk in the park, right?! My mate tells me Vfacts have them listed at 79 for march and a mesely 107 for Feb, they are way off the pace.

I acknowledge what you say about global growth but that is nothing to pin you hopes on. Skoda may have become viable in other parts of the globe but it's existance in OZ is solely and wholely because of VW and it's ability to absorb these pitaful numbers. But never lose sight of the fact it is a business, if it is becoming a liability it will go.

As for transporters comments on advertising I can assure you that Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Holden etc etc do not spend many millions on advertising if it doesn't work. Skoda's inability to attract potential owners from this medium is th exact reason the are in reverse. No one can consider a product they dont know exists let alone pay more than than it's competitors for it

Skoda need to start to connect with it's intended audience on what it's percieved offerings are and how it feels it competes in this market place or it's future is extremely bleek

Transporter
11-04-2010, 02:46 PM
As for transporters comments on advertising I can assure you that Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Holden etc etc do not spend many millions on advertising if it doesn't work. Skoda's inability to attract potential owners from this medium is th exact reason the are in reverse. No one can consider a product they dont know exists let alone pay more than than it's competitors for it

Skoda need to start to connect with it's intended audience on what it's percieved offerings are and how it feels it competes in this market place or it's future is extremely bleek

So, you would go and spend more money (like Toyota and others do) on advertising to convince people to buy Skoda instead of Toyota, Mazda, Holden and other well established car companies cars? Well, I thing that it would be a big gamble that most likely wouldn't pay off and if Skoda wouldn't be backed up by VW than it would definitely broke the Skoda's back.
It could work on different continent not in OZ and not in today's financial climate. :)

woofy
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I think SKoda are targeting their market, I have seen the Skoda ads in most car mags, and they are active around in the community, particularly cycling, there are more than a few people here who have bought from due to that.

The rest is word of mouth, the cars are good, the dealers can be iffy, and HQ is losing leads left, right and centre. I've lost count how many times you hear nothing back from them. Despite what VW HQ think, sometimes the first point of call is them via their website after someone has gone looking there, and fobbing everything off to the dealers is lazy.

I should say though, if I had the money, I would buy the cars off the whingers in here, so you would never have to post yet another rant about whether Skoda will stick around. I don't care if you see 2 Skoda a week, when I bought mine, I didn't see one for months and I thought that was good.

Frufru
11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Just read on an Euro autoweb about waiting times for Yeti. Skoda underestimated sale success of the car and as a result waiting times blew up to something like three months. So not sure whether Yeti is going to make it here in Oz this year. I am afraid they will not be too keen to price them that well either. Superb Wagon is rather popular too, even though to lesser extent and there are waiting times too.

Spook
22-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Article in Drive (http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/skoda-confirms-yeti-20100521-w17y.html)that the Yeti is due this year, but GoAuto (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/3605FC83133A4E7BCA25772A0000CF49) indicated a Q2 2011 launch date.

The latter article has has other news on a DSG for the Scout and an entry-level Octavia.

midlifecrisis
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I asked Skoda corporate and some dealers. Dealers all said next year but Skoda corporate day it's this year - 2010.
I also agree with above, they would be mad not to have it at the Sydney motor show in October.

midlifecrisis
26-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I have a followup - an source has all but confirmed to me yeti to appear at motorshow. Never used this source before so reliability unknown but I am hopeful given the 6 month wait for a configured tig these days.