PDA

View Full Version : Which Insurance company are you with?

Pages : [1] 2

cme2c
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Interesting experience getting insurance for the Golf. I shop around and was amazed at the differences. The insurance we went for was about $750 for $45000, 2 over 30 drivers with 65% no claim for life etc, age excesses not excessive etc. One quote was $1131, and no cover AT ALL for drivers under 30. Another one of life little bizzarities.

madison
08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I have an 118tsi - i'm 23 Female got insurance to cover 35K through NRMA got 65% no claim bonus im paying $1214 :)

cme2c
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I have an 118tsi - i'm 23 Female got insurance to cover 35K through NRMA got 65% no claim bonus im paying $1214 :)

The $750 was NRMA. Sometimes it's good being old:-D

team_v
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Virgin do car insurance now, i just found out recently.

Could be a cheaper option if you are looking:

http://virginmoney.com.au/car-insurance/

RECRUT
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Im 27, rating one. Suncorp.

Paying $620 p y

hkogti
09-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Bingle, 28 male $472

Nicho
09-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Interesting experience getting insurance for the Golf. I shop around and was amazed at the differences. The insurance we went for was about $750 for $45000, 2 over 30 drivers with 65% no claim for life etc, age excesses not excessive etc. One quote was $1131, and no cover AT ALL for drivers under 30. Another one of life little bizzarities.

That is a pretty good price cme2c...fall into the more mature market now myself :rolleyes:

I went for AAMI and use the car for business purposes. I also got windscreen and car hire and it was $1257!! I though it not bad as it was better than GIO pricing. I didn't consider NRMA because they have traditionally been expensive but based on that I think I will cancel and go with NRMA! I assume you went for Market Value over a specific car value?

I prefer to stay with a bigger name rather than the likes of Bingle, but that is just a preference.....

oileoi
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Bingle, 28 male $472

Interesting the price different, I was quote today $998 with them. Im 27 Male, no claims in the past 3 years, Melbourne 3162.

I was wondering how did you get that price?

cktsi
09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I think everyone's circumstances is different and you have to constantly check & call around for a few quotes at renewal time. If Bingle is the cheapest for one person, it may be more expensive for another.

Age, gender, location car is garaged etc all play a factor. I think the companies have different data & use different formulas to calculate premiums.

For me, personally Allianz was the cheapest ($720) compared to Bingle, NRMA, CommInsure, GIO, AAMI, and VW's Allianz policy (which the VW insurance person wasn't too happy about).

cme2c
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
That is a pretty good price cme2c...fall into the more mature market now myself :rolleyes:

I went for AAMI and use the car for business purposes. I also got windscreen and car hire and it was $1257!! I though it not bad as it was better than GIO pricing. I didn't consider NRMA because they have traditionally been expensive but based on that I think I will cancel and go with NRMA! I assume you went for Market Value over a specific car value?

I prefer to stay with a bigger name rather than the likes of Bingle, but that is just a preference.....

Agreed value $45,100. I do get a multiple policy discount. Also, the prices quoted here say nothing about where the car is parked. North West Sydney :( .

I also have an old Bedford van. NRMA pays me to comprehensively insure it. Comprehensive insurance for $1200 agreed value is $185. I get a $300 discount on the green slip because it's comprehensively insured.:banana:

My wife's former car before the 118TSI was a Honda Accord Euro Luxury Navi. Honda insurance about $950. GIO $1450. Honda insurance supplied by Suncorp , through their GIO subsidiary. Go figure.

cme2c
09-10-2009, 03:38 PM
For me, personally Allianz was the cheapest ($720) compared to Bingle, NRMA, CommInsure, GIO, AAMI, and VW's Allianz policy (which the VW insurance person wasn't too happy about).

Allianz wanted to charge me $1131 and not let any under 30 year olds drive it. Yet, they were the cheapest (of the companies I'd trust) on my Peugeot 206 GTi. Budget direct the dearest.

I will never understand insurance companies.:confused:

cube_3
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Hey Nicho,

Bingle is actually underwritten by AAMI.

Nicho
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey Nicho,

Bingle is actually underwritten by AAMI.

Yeah...I know thanks cube...but AAMI can be bad enough on their own at times..... ;-)

cube_3
09-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I agree that the insurance companies have weird criteria in working out cost. I currently have a 2004 GolfMK4 generation 1.6 litre Curretnyl insued for about $400 with budget direct. The market value is around $13000 to $14000.

When I check the online insurance with SGIO (in WA I think they are part of NRMA) They want to charge me $619 for the same car. IF I change the car to a Golf6 118TSI current year they charge $478 and if I cahnge it to a 2009 MK5 GTI they say $445 ... so their logic is the newer or more expensive and faster the car the cheaper the insurance ?????
How can a 5 year old car with 1/3 or less of the values of the others cost so much more to insure!

Nicho
09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
What are your thoughts on Market value vs agreed/set value???

Creniac
09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Found that some insurance companies don't have the 1.4L 118TSI on their system yet so they automatically quote for the 1.4L turbo....... problem is if you have an accident and they find out your car is twin charged they may not pay out....... hence the reason some of you may be getting low insurance quotes..... be careful!!! I'm 33 and never had an accident or claim yet my insurance is also around $1200 even though the car is less powerful than the GTI.

bensl
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
2 drivers, 32 years old, rating 1, $355 AAMI

coastie
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
The lower premium on the newer more expensive vehicle relates to claim history on that type of vehicle. New car no claims yet thus the lower index. So I am told.

My dealer matched YOUI at $520 for the Golf with the VW Allianz policy which has 3 years new for old replacement warranty. I took it.

cube_3
09-10-2009, 10:54 PM
What are your thoughts on Market value vs agreed/set value???

Well you car obviously loses X amount of value once it leaves the lot so if you want to cover the price of a new car( including delivery fees/tax etc), and you don't have a policy that does a Xyears new car replacement, then its best to go with set value. The downside is higer premiums. Once the car is a few year old I'd just go for market value.

cube_3
09-10-2009, 10:58 PM
The lower premium on the newer more expensive vehicle relates to claim history on that type of vehicle. New car no claims yet thus the lower index. So I am told.

My dealer matched YOUI at $520 for the Golf with the VW Allianz policy which has 3 years new for old replacement warranty. I took it.

Glad you found someone who could give a resonable explaination. When I ask I was told that the newer cars had better safety features so less chance of a crash! Other insurers are different though and give a cheaper price for mine and a larger quote for the GTI etc.

cme2c
10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Found that some insurance companies don't have the 1.4L 118TSI on their system yet so they automatically quote for the 1.4L turbo....... problem is if you have an accident and they find out your car is twin charged they may not pay out....... hence the reason some of you may be getting low insurance quotes..... be careful!!! I'm 33 and never had an accident or claim yet my insurance is also around $1200 even though the car is less powerful than the GTI.

No, NRMA has it as a MY10 118 TSI

Nicho
31-10-2009, 12:50 PM
No, NRMA has it as a MY10 118 TSI

Just on that point....NRMA has 2 options for the 2009 model. 1K 6th or 1KMY10. How do you know which is the model you have? Says nothing on the documentation with the purchase.....:confused:

cme2c
31-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Just on that point....NRMA has 2 options for the 2009 model. 1K 6th or 1KMY10. How do you know which is the model you have? Says nothing on the documentation with the purchase.....:confused:

the 10th or so character on the VIN (after 1KZ) is a 9 for MY09 (1k 6th) and an A for MY10

Nicho
31-10-2009, 05:42 PM
the 10th or so character on the VIN (after 1KZ) is a 9 for MY09 (1k 6th) and an A for MY10

Ahhhh....all clear.....now on to cheaper insurance!!

hkogti
03-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Interesting the price different, I was quote today $998 with them. Im 27 Male, no claims in the past 3 years, Melbourne 3162.

I was wondering how did you get that price?

I lived in NSW 2118, 10 years driving expereince 65% NCB

Nicho
03-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I lived in NSW 2118, 10 years driving expereince 65% NCB

I don't understand it myself.....I have 28 years experience, one other driver with 20 years experience, live in Sutherland Shire and can only get $37200 covered for $755 with Bingle.....I said I lived in 2118 and parked in a garage and could still not get it down any further......how much did you insure? Any other drivers? Does Bingle include Hire Car/Windshield? I can get NRMA for about $950 but that includes hire car and windshield....probably what I will end up going for.....

Tyko
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm hopefully will be getting a new GTI mk6 in the next week or so.

I've had a car licence for 14 years, with only 1 accident, 10 years ago.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations in regards to insurance companies? I assume the insurance will be similiar to the previous mk5, so any experience in regards to price along with how they dealt with any claims from current GTI owners would be greatly appreciated.

lawsy82
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm hopefully will be getting a new GTI mk6 in the next week or so.

I've had a car licence for 14 years, with only 1 accident, 10 years ago.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations in regards to insurance companies? I assume the insurance will be similiar to the previous mk5, so any experience in regards to price along with how they dealt with any claims from current GTI owners would be greatly appreciated.

Hey mate I have a 06 GTI golf - Rating 1 with NRMA and I pay $60 PER MTH. I find NRMA excellent to deal with and there claims process is also great.

masuri99
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi Tyko!

As a guide for a car with no finance on it:

38y/o with no bad history. full NCB and parking car in locked garage in Sydney's inners west:

NRMA: $1200 inc hire car and window cover ($1000 excess)
AAMI: $1200 inc hire car and window cover! ($550 excess)

YOUI with a lot of restrictions/questions $2000!:eek::eek:
Budget direct: $1650

I have been with NRMA for while... so paid a bit more to stay with them. However I hear AAMI is good too! :)

Happy driving!

David :)

aeon
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I did a quote for AAMI - 27y/o, full NCB, up here in Darwin, cost $800 with the default settings on the online quote system.

pologti18t
04-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Have any of you guys tried Shannons?

Corey_R
04-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Guys, DO NOT go with AAMI to insure your Golf.

I'd been with AAMI for years whilst I had a Toyota Seca and then Echo Sportivo, and I must say I was quite happy with them. But these are VW's we're talking about, not crappy Toyotas!. They do insurance jobs these days, if you're in an accidnet, you can't pick who is going to do the work, and even worse, they just give it to the lowest bidder :( This is also why many reputable and prestige repairers will not even quote for AAMI customers, or they at least charge a fee to quote for AAMI customers.

At least with NRMA you can get a few of your own quotes and as long as who you want is reasonable compared to the others, you can go with them. I'm with NRMA for my Polo GTI. For me I could get the comprehensive plus and it was cheaper than AAMI anyway (though that could've been due to mutli-policy discounts).

On my Oettinger/APR Golf GTI I was with Shannons. They were great, HOWEVER, their 'hire car' policy is ONLY for theft. They do not even have the option of paying additional on your policy for a hire car for the other situations may lead you to being carless. Hence, I was without a car for almost a month whilst waiting for my car to be finally written off and cheque delivered.
Shannons are very open to (legal) modifications and even you taking your car to a racetrack. They'll even insure your car on the racetrack for when you're doing advanced driving courses etc. They only won't insure you during 'timed laps'.

Anyone I know with YOUI who has actually had to claim has regretted it :/

Another option which friends of mine have recommended is QBE. I haven't personally used them before, but they have excellent 'new for old' replacement policy (will replace your car with a new one for up to the first 4 years! NRMA only does 2 years, and AAMI 1?) and they also have comprehensive options for things like bikes and other equipment carried on the outside of the car (QBE are one of the few insurers that would insure my friends $10k+ carbon fibre road bike whilst attached to the rear of his car).

Hail
04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I ended up getting insurance with NRMA for $1,300/yr and $800 excess, thats comp plus (unlimited hire car option, glass replacement).

Never had any problems with them, and you have the added benefit of:

* New for old cover (2 yrs)
* 24 hr assistance line
* Unlimited hire car option
* Glass replacement (all of it, not just the windscreen)

I got silly quotes from GIO, YOUI... my only other option was Suncorp who I've been with for 5 yrs.

aeon
04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
No NRMA up here, they suggest using CGU on the website, for $1500 a year.. that's double the cost of going with AAMI!

$846 through my current insurance company (TIO... kinda like GIO for you southerners I guess).

Corey_R
04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Doesn't QLD have RACV? Or is 'Top End' meaning NT?
GIO are a competent insurance company who also let you repair with who you like (well, the last time a friend needed to anyway... didn't bother looking up their site ;))

MurphyTheElf
04-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Doesn't QLD have RACV?

Nope. They would have RACQ.

My GTI cover note is with QBE simply because I knew their number and needed insurance to drive out of the dealership. They quoted just over $1000 for my spec with business usage. I'm going to shop around this week, but I'm pretty satisfied with that so far.

aeon
04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah I'm in the NT... our equivalent of RACQ etc is AANT - might see what they offer.

goodfella
04-11-2009, 06:38 PM
My cars are with AAMI...and I do get to choose my repairer. It helps when they are on the AAMI list as well. All it takes is a written quote from the repairer and then either drive it to the assessor or if its undriveable they come to the car.

MurphyTheElf
04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I've been calling around getting quotes today. I have a cover note from QBE while I shop around. I tried RAC (WA), QBE, Shannons and the Volkswagen dealer's insurance. They are all competitive with each other with some differences. Only Shannons didn't have an adjustable minimum excess ($650) while the others started at $350 and were fully adjustable. VW insurance had a 3 year new for old, while Shannons only had 12 months. The others were 2 years. VW also guarantee only genuine parts are used on the repair, plus they give options for better hire car and windows replacement conditions. The only problem (and it's a biggie) is that VW have a really stringent turbo policy for under 30's. I had to wrangle to get my 28 year old girlfriend on the policy - only successful because she has a great driving record.

So overall, I rank them:

VW
Shannons
RAC
QBE

If I get bored, I might try some more....

Corey_R
05-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Don't forget man, NO hire car with Shannons....
and QBE you have the option of 4 year new for old replacement, plus external item protection (if that is important to you)

Servo
05-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I found GIO were far the cheapest in insuring my Pog. AAMI and NRMA were asking an extra $350-400 compared to GIO.

MurphyTheElf
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Don't forget man, NO hire car with Shannons....
and QBE you have the option of 4 year new for old replacement, plus external item protection (if that is important to you)

Shannons said their standard policy included a hire car for 14 days - but only if the car was stolen. Not for an accident.

Corey_R
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
yeah... that's what I said in my original post.

This is incomparison with NRMA for example, where their comprehensive plus gives you a hire car for basically any loss of use of your car.

MurphyTheElf
05-11-2009, 11:03 AM
yeah... that's what I said in my original post.

This is incomparison with NRMA for example, where their comprehensive plus gives you a hire car for basically any loss of use of your car.

It's a very strange condition. Some prick steals your car - no worries - have a hire car! The same moron steals someone else's car and drives it into your front quarter panel at 60k's - bad luck, you're on your own.

Corey_R
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
yeah... it sucks! Trust me, it left me carless for ages! lol

Skoda Convert
05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
I've been calling around getting quotes today. I have a cover note from QBE while I shop around. I tried RAC (WA), QBE, Shannons and the Volkswagen dealer's insurance. They are all competitive with each other with some differences..

Hi Murph, Sorry to be the one to break this to you but it all maybe a wasted exercise. Not a lot of people in Australia are entirely aware that all insurers in Australia are run by or underwritten by 2 main organisations AIG being the majority holder of most insurance companies in Australia. They may list themsleves as seperate identities but they are all under the one umbrella, this is why our insurance premiums keep going up and all of them appear to be the same.

When you have a monopoly you can charge what you like without concequence.

The only win you will have is the minute detail, windscreen, hire car etc.

Good luck

pologti18t
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
It's a very strange condition. Some prick steals your car - no worries - have a hire car! The same moron steals someone else's car and drives it into your front quarter panel at 60k's - bad luck, you're on your own.

Which do you think is more likely to happen? Your car being stolen OR your car being in an accident requiring repair? The answer is obvious and its why the insurance companies give a hire car for one and not the other ;)

You match what you need with the company. I dont need a hire car if my car needs repair... BUT Shannons doesn't charge a premium to pay by the month. Most other companies do.

I just read NRMA's site: If your vehicle is stolen, or damaged as a result of theft or attempted theft, we help to keep you on the road. We will refund you the cost of a hire car for up to 21 days.

That doesn't suggest that you get a hire car for accidental damage.

mattyf83
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Murph, Sorry to be the one to break this to you but it all maybe a wasted exercise. Not a lot of people in Australia are entirely aware that all insurers in Australia are run by or underwritten by 2 main organisations AIG being the majority holder of most insurance companies in Australia. They may list themsleves as seperate identities but they are all under the one umbrella, this is why our insurance premiums keep going up and all of them appear to be the same.

When you have a monopoly you can charge what you like without concequence.

The only win you will have is the minute detail, windscreen, hire car etc.

Good luck

AIG doesnt underwrite MV insurance in Australia

I think you mean IAG - CGU, NRMA, SGIO, RACV. I think you will find these companies are run independentley, with NRMA, SGIO and RACV servicing different areas and CGU being the commercial arm

The other main one is Suncorp Group - Suncorp, VERO, GIO, AAMI, Just car - again these are run independentley and premiums between their brands will differ. They dont compete with each other though following recent mergers will likely intergrate.

QBE is completley seperate

elisiX
30-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Quotes so far for myself and my girl on a new GTI at ~$1300.

Both 27 rating 1 living in medium risk suburb in Sydney.

isaw
30-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I just renewed my MKV with ammi for 770 with some listed mods (ECU, suspension, zorst), 25 (soon to be 26) carport, rating one but recent loss of licence.

Amazingly my premium went down from last year.. Go figure.

Only issue is no choice of repair, but if anything happened I'd be selling the car anyway

GTI2708
01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
quite like shannons purely for tge reason that they are quite lenient with modifications and cover track days. They have good customer service in my opinion and were competivley priced.

fuzion
01-01-2010, 10:11 AM
my 2psi

JustCar/AAMI cover you for modifications to you're vehicle such as chip tuning, turbo upgrade, brake upgrade, body kit, exhaust, stereo etc.

NRMA will void your coverages if the assesor deems your car modified. The PDS will tell you what they cover regarding wheels etc but to be quite honest its very minimal. So from experience over the years i would keep clear of NRMA if you intend to heavily modify your car.

If you intend just suspension, tints, towbar, sunroof and alloys go for it.

For my with the mk4, the porsche brakes, coilovers, chip, turbo, r32 bumpers etc is all covered as NRMA will not touched a chip-tuned car regardless of what they say. Deal with them everyday and know a lot of the assesors so be careful!

Regarding car hire.

Car hire is for 2 weeks max, after the 2 weeks with Thrifty its $32.50-42.50 dependant on car you chose (from getz [ecmr class] to falcon say [fcar class]) and the $9.90 liability drop from $550 to $110 (based on choice of if you take this).

For Hertz its the same sort of deal but with both Thrifty & Hertz through NRMA[CGU] you have to leave a $400 bond. And to be honest guys most cars in any damages usually take over 2 weeks to repair regardless so you're better borrowing a car of someone.

It's a handy thing to have but after spending 4 years with Thrifty i can say it doesn't benefit people that much.

Shannons require you to park the vehicle in a garage at your personal residence which for some people in the city isn't feesible which is the only downfall with them.

I got quoted $1400 for a mk6 gti (with modifications) through Just Car (age;28).

Choice of repairers regardless of what they say is up to the customer by law. ** However say you take it to a non approved repairer they will just not give you the lifetime guarantee they offer with they're own. Although if you know your repairer well such as my friends from Jade Auto Repair Centre they will look after you and make sure you're car is 100% regardless.

Shannons are probably the best to what they cover and who they will let you use to be quite honest, however they are Exxy..

Just spool for thought..

Corey_R
01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I've personally found Shannons to be just as good value as Aami.
However, AAMI and Justcar have refused to cover me and several of my friends with European cars for anywhere near the actual purchase price of the cars. Hell, when I tried to get a quote for a Mini Cooper S, the maximum they allowed was lower than the purchase of the base model without any options (not even metallic paint!). I'm not sure why you'd want to get insurance for only part of you car ;)

JonoB
22-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Need to take out insurance in Victoria.. any good quotes out there for a 118TSI DSG ?

KWICKS
22-01-2010, 11:40 AM
These thread s are always silly - too many variable - post code, age, driving record, car, garage or not, etc, etc, etc, make comparisons almost meaningless.

JonoB
22-01-2010, 11:43 AM
You are probably right.. but even with one driver such as myself, getting quotes from different people, I find huge differences between the quotes.

For my 118TSI I whipped up 3 quick quotes:

Bingle - $1073
Youi - $1046
AAMI - $586 !

(I'm rating 1, over 30, no criminal record :P )

pologti18t
22-01-2010, 12:46 PM
You are probably right.. but even with one driver such as myself, getting quotes from different people, I find huge differences between the quotes.

For my 118TSI I whipped up 3 quick quotes:

Bingle - $1073
Youi - $1046
AAMI - $586 !

(I'm rating 1, over 30, no criminal record :P )

Haven't you answered your question then?

coastie
22-01-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=35679&highlight=insurance

answered many times

mattyf83
22-01-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=35679&highlight=insurance

answered many times

Go with AAMI, seems awfully cheap though

JonoB
22-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Haven't you answered your question then?

Yep.. was on the phone hours to get those quotes, so thought I'd ask people for their suggestions but AAMI was a clear winner.

Brian
22-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Go with AAMI, seems awfully cheap though

Dont know if Qld is cheaper, but just insured my new TSI with RACQ for $312. No not a misprint. I didn't bother getting any other quotes as I was paying nearly $800 on my old SS Commodore.
Factors to include though are:Over 35, no claims for 15 years, multiple policy discount, Silver member of the RACQ auto club, always garaged, quiet neighbourhood etc etc.

Dont know if RACQ cover Vic vehicles but maybe RACV is similar? Worth a phone call.

kennyc
07-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi guys, not sure where to put this thread so i am creating it here.

I have been looking at a few different companies for insurance and not sure who to go with, just wanted to get some ideas off you guys.

I am currently 3rd party with RACV and have been with them for about 8 years so i will be rating one when i get my GTI on Full Comp.
RACV have quoted me around $1300 for complete care with a $550 excess.
AAMI have quoted me $897 with $550 excess. But i am not sure about how good AAMI are or the extent of the policy (they are gonna mail it to me so i can read over it).

I don't really want to leave RACV but $500 a year is a big difference.

Anyone with AAMI, are they good?

nicandlance
07-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I have been with AAMI for years and they have been fantastic with my recent troubles. Having said that, I haven't had any repairs done - I've heard pretty bad reports about their repairers.
My 4 week old Golf was written off and I found all the staff to be extremely helpful, polite and sympathetic to what I had happen.
They paid me out in full in under a week and the whole process was very smooth.

I am thinking of insuring with Allianz though when my new Golf arrives - they have a 'choose your own repairer' policy and use genuine parts.

mattyf83
07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I got through work fleet policy, QBE for 750 per year.

Best to look for a preferred repairer policy, and might want to add in windscreen & hire car depending on situation.

If you are happy with RACV it may be worth continuing

Another policy condition that may be worth investigating: My policy states that if car is stolen/written off in the first 24 months, it will be replaced with a new vehicle. Normally they would just pay market value, which isnt going to get you a new car.

nicandlance
07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
With AAMI I got back what I paid for my tsi. I went straight back to the dealer I got it from 4 weeks prior and actually got a better deal... metallic paint and mdi. Didn't need to fork out an extra cent. Very happy...just got a week to wait! :-)

markwid
07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I am using Allianz. I find their price competitive. Then again, at my age, with rating 1, it ought to be. Do note that your suburb makes a difference to the price.

Christopher
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll be going with RACV - Comprehensive Cover. Their quote was for $1200 with a $1100 excess. AAMI was offering a similar price, but I'll be going with RACV. Given my age (22) this is the best quote I've been getting..

kennyc
07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah i tried the Allianz quote but they will not take me on because of my age (27).

Mk6 GTI
07-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Beleive it or not, out of NRMA GIO AMMI QBE and ALLIANZ.. the best deal i got was from NRMA! I am 25 and it is a GTI mind you! hehe

JohnA
07-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Allianz, rating 1 $650 with $500 excess

sporran
07-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm with AAMI but am having a lot of trouble at the moment even though the liability for the accident lies with the other driver. The complicating factor in my case was that my trailer was also damaged in the accident, and is therefore part of the claim. AAMI will only cover me up to $750 (the trailer is worth $1300) and I will have to pay ($98) for it to be towed to an assessor. There is minor damage to the tow bar and rear of the car where the towbar is attached. I will be better off claiming through the other drivers insurance company (RACV) as they have said they will cover the cost of towing of the trailer for a reasonable distance to a repairer to be assessed, and will accept one quote for damage to my car if the repairer is RACV approved, or two quotes including one other and a RACV repairer. After this experience I will be changing the policies of our two VWs from AAMI.

Corey_R
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey guys. Here is something else to consider.

AAMI, as well as having a really bad reputation from customers for their repairs, and even from the repairers industry for which repairers AAMI uses, but AAMI won't insure modified cars. This means ECU updates etc.

NRMA on the other hand, are fine with modified cars (this surprised me, but it's true). As long as the RTA etc would pass the car for inspection, then NRMA are happy with it. I assume this would be the case in VIC and in QLD too.

Just something to think about, for when you do your ECU trial and decide you must have it ;)

hcvo1
07-04-2010, 08:10 PM

AAMI, as well as having a really bad reputation from customers for their repairs, and even from the repairers industry for which repairers AAMI uses, but AAMI won't insure modified cars. This means ECU updates etc.

NRMA on the other hand, are fine with modified cars (this surprised me, but it's true). As long as the RTA etc would pass the car for inspection, then NRMA are happy with it. I assume this would be the case in VIC and in QLD too.

Just something to think about, for when you do your ECU trial and decide you must have it ;)

Thanks for the info Corey, I didn't know that about AAMI... might need to rethink my insurance company

mattyf83
07-04-2010, 08:19 PM

A quick quote on their website showed they have no issues with ECU upgrades

kennyc
07-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I think i am leaning towards RACV, better then devil you know.
Might see if they can match the price, doubt it though!

JohnA
07-04-2010, 08:30 PM

they must have changed their terms then.
I had my modded WRX insured with them, with all mods listed and they were fine with them.
May pay to ask if considering them.
Maybe age comes into play here also?

emuexport
07-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Having a look through the other threads is there a reason why people dont go with VW insurance (aka alliance)?

I got quoted $790 per year with $350 excess for a MY10 118 TSI (by VW Australia)

Seems like a good deal! Will have to shop around some more by the looks of it!

Mk6 GTI
07-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Having a look through the other threads is there a reason why people dont go with VW insurance (aka alliance)?

I got quoted $790 per year with $350 excess for a MY10 118 TSI (by VW Australia)

Seems like a good deal! Will have to shop around some more by the looks of it!

where can i get a quote? Through the dealer?

So far the cheapest i have is NRMA at $600 excess and $1700 premium..
I have tried allianz, gio, ammi,nrma..

im 25.. so i guess thats a factor! But thats the cheapest ive got so far..

Maverick
07-04-2010, 10:35 PM
where can i get a quote? Through the dealer?

So far the cheapest i have is NRMA at $600 excess and $1700 premium..
I have tried allianz, gio, ammi,nrma..

im 25.. so i guess thats a factor! But thats the cheapest ive got so far..

If you buy on price you deserve everything that occurs when you make a claim. You clearly didn't buy your car on price so why buy your insurance on price?

Maverick
07-04-2010, 10:38 PM
A quick quote on their website showed they have no issues with ECU upgrades

Is there a check box where you can select ECU upgrades?

emuexport
07-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah mate through the VW Business Manager.

I'm over 30 now so finally out of that 30 and under bracket.

I'm steering clear of AAMI even if it costs me a bit more. When I was the claimant getting my Motorbike fixed wasnt a problem but they struggled to agree to replace all my protective gear which was over $2k. Tried to tell me that it was 2nd hand as I was wearing it and would only give me 50% of the original price even if it was only used once. Eventually they came through but I couldnt ride my bike even though it was repaired within a month. Took 3 months to get a cheque for my gear. :(

hcvo1
07-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah mate through the VW Business Manager.

I'm steering clear of AAMI even if it costs me a bit more. When I was the claimant getting my Motorbike fixed wasnt a problem but they struggled to agree to replace all my protective gear which was over $2k. Tried to tell me that it was 2nd hand as I was wearing it and would only give me 50% of the original price even if it was only used once. Eventually they came through but I couldnt ride my bike even though it was repaired within a month. Took 3 months to get a cheque for my gear. :(

Lucky you're with AAMI? :P

emuexport
07-04-2010, 10:40 PM
If you buy on price you deserve everything that occurs when you make a claim. You clearly didn't buy your car on price so why buy your insurance on price?

So the VW Insurance is no good? Looks like good coverage to me compared to other insurers.

Mk6 GTI
07-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Well i think NRMA is a safe bet.. i will most likely go with them irrespective to be honest! hehe

But i want to check out all of my options anyway :)

hcvo1
07-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Well i think NRMA is a safe bet.. i will most likely go with them irrespective to be honest! hehe

But i want to check out all of my options anyway :)

Tried to do an online quote with RACV (Vic's version of NRMA) and they don't have the MkVI Golf GTI as an option only the MkV... while AAMI does...

Corey_R
07-04-2010, 10:55 PM
So give them a call?
Hardly a reason to use AAMI :D

Corey_R
07-04-2010, 10:59 PM
they must have changed their terms then.
I had my modded WRX insured with them, with all mods listed and they were fine with them.
May pay to ask if considering them.
Maybe age comes into play here also?
I used to be with AAMI before switching to VW. Firstly AAMI didn't want to insure me cause I wasn't 30. Then as soon as I mentioned mods they wanted to send me to Justcar. Also, I had a fairly decently optioned MKV, and AAMI wouldn't insure it for the full purchase price! WTF! Their upper limits didn't stretch as far as the options.

It made it pretty easy to switch insurers really. Combined with the fact that although you CAN pick your choice of insurer with AAMI, the only reason I had been able to do that in both occasions where I previously had to have a car repaired was the fact that AAMI's authorised repairs are SO F%#KING DODGY that both times I was able to pick their quotes to pieces in front of the AAMI accessor so that they had no choice but to award it to my chosen repairer (NRMA and GIO authorised, but not AAMI authorised, btw).

That's really not a risk I would want to take with a great car like a VW, and therefore I don't deal with AAMI anymore.

hcvo1
07-04-2010, 11:01 PM
So give them a call?
Hardly a reason to use AAMI :D

Yeah I have been with AAMI for the last 7 years, no accidents, knock on wood... but have emailed RACV, been 2 days still awaiting a reply... might have to call them :)

Maverick
07-04-2010, 11:07 PM

AAMI, as well as having a really bad reputation from customers for their repairs, and even from the repairers industry for which repairers AAMI uses

This is my last AAMI repair, only the names of the AAMI managers have been changed to protect the useless. My previous claims were not much different. And this isn't the fully story as it dragged out a bit longer. Low speed impact from an angle hit from behind, corner of the rear bumper caved in and some damage to the panel behind the bumper. They ended up replacing the rear quarter panel (subaru outback h6 luxury) as it was damaged behind the bumper but they didn't quote on that.

26/10/2006 drop car off
08/11/2006 pick car up
-Rear bumper refitted as wasn't lined up (3cms out in areas) - around 2 hours waiting whilst they used cutting tools to remove parts of bumper brackets and more (painful to watch)
-Pointed out difference in colour compared to car
-Pointed out rubber trim on rear passenger door was not sitting right, told that the rubber trim had shrunk when off the car

09/11/2006

-Noticed rear door would not close properly
-Noticed that rear window was sticking out
-Overspray over whole car including windows
-Marks (including fingerprints) inside around where trim was removed

Arranged with Vulture Street to drop car in on the 13th.

13/11/2006 9am to 4pm

-Rear door was fixed (still not quite right)
-Rear window refitted, better but still too far out. Window installer claims that window has bowed after removal and the only way to fix was replacement.

Went straight to AAMI fairfield to discuss

13/11/2006 4:45pm

-Visited AAMI Fairfield and assessor looked at the car
-Discussed rear window as main issue and assessor agreed to order in a new window to fit if required and to allow a week. Organised the day of the 23/11/2006 to drop the car in and they would have a window installer come to remove the window and then look at the issue there.

13/11/2006 6:00pm

-Rear door trim on passenger door is hitting the front door
-Numerous marks on window trim
-Black marks on seatbelt (Cleaned off)

Thursday 23/11/2006 8:00am to 4:00pm

-Dropped in to have window fitted and raised other issues
-Vulture Street picked up the car and returned in the afternoon
-Looked at car with assessor, he arranged for manager B**** W****** to come out.

-Rear window still not fitted correctly
Discussed with manager who was not aware that the rear panel had been replaced and did not know why the window was not ordered but said that the window should not have been ordered. Manager claimed that the window must have been like this from day 1 and that the window doesn't bow after removal.

Pointed out that the car was not like this before the accident and that I had owned this from new and it was not like this when I picked up the car. If the glass has bowed after being removed it wasn't my problem, I expect the car to be in the same condition when I pick it up as when I dropped it off. The accident was not my fault and I will not accept the car back with was is in my view a major defect. If the glass bowed after removal then the other insurance company should be picking up the bill. If there is another problem then again this should be repaired.

Manager said why should they put a new glass in if the fault is in the old glass, went around in circles.

I said again that I don't care what has occurred, if the glass bowed after it was removed it should be replaced.

He Agreed to organise another glass to compare with this one and have the car measured to see where the problem is.

-Pointed out overspray on hatch on top left hand side. Agreed that to fix this.
-Pointed out that the trim was still hitting the front door. Agreed that the plastic panel has been damaged in removal and would replace it and the rubber trim.

Went over the numerous other defects and the number of times I had returned the car and time spent running around.

November 28-December 1 - attempted to contact B**** W****** on mobile number given, kept going to message bank. Requested a call back to arrange time.

December 7 got in contact with B**** W***** who had been on holidays.
Too late to organise anything as I was going on Leave on the 14th and he suggested leaving until the New Year. Told him I would call back in January when I was back at work.

Issues to resolve (as discussed with B***** W*****)

-Missing round plastic protectors where rubbers contact the paint on left hand side where the hatch closes and the left hand door.
-Overspray on door sill between front and rear doors.
-Marks still around trim on inside from removal of trim.
-Rear window not fitted correctly
-Gap on trim on top of window twice as large on the passenger side and trim has been bent.
-Gap around the hatch on the passenger side is 50% bigger than the gap on the driver's side.
-Gap inside the car between the rear window and the inside trim is double or more in areas over the driver's side.
-Rear bumper has a rattle when tapped from the underside at the rear.
-Rear passenger door trim and rubber to be replaced.
-Overspray on all panels in particular horizontal surfaces and the rear panel on the driver's side (areas that are have had tape on there are clearly visible)
-Overspray on the rear drivers side tail lamp.

January 22nd 8:15am
Spoke to G**** N***** when dropping car off
Gave him a list of the issues (above) and went over each one with him.
He again didn't have details of the replacement panel and only had the original quote.
Told him that I wanted it back in the same condition that it was dropped in. He was to call me back.

January 24th 2:10pm (1:52m)
Rang G**** N***** left message

January 24th 2:54pm (9:39m)
Rang G***** N******
He said he has seen the car and everything looks ok, the repairer has not taken out the window yet and was reluctant to do so.
The repairer claimed they had a window there last time to check but he couldn't confirm this (this is different to what B**** W***** told me when he said that no window was ordered last time).
I asked if there was a window ordered because B**** W***** told me he would arrange one but there wasn't one.
Told him again that the car was not like this, it's a clearly visible defect in the repair and it was not there.
Mentioned that I am particular about these things and it has never been like this. I also mentioned that I spent about 2 hours with the car before I picked it up waiting on finance company paperwork and went over the car looking at defects.
G*** seems to think that all they can do is to try and fit the window again without the sealer, I told him that I don't want the car back unless the glass is flush and the car back to how it was including gaps around panels (which are way off).
I said I don't have any faith in this repairer as it has been one stuff up after another and if need be AAMI can send it to another repairer.
Again said that I don't want the car back tomorrow unless the window is fitted correctly.
G*** said he would call me on Thursday to tell me what is happening.

January 25th
Picked up the car, the window is now fitting correctly after they removed all the layers of urethane? they use to bond the window. Each time they took it out they added a new layer hence the height and apparantly this is normal???

New and existing problems at pickup

-Installer scratched the window tint on the window in 5-6 places, I have to organise to get it retinted and claim it back from AAMI.
-Black fingerprints under stick on decals to protect the paint from the rubber stoppers on the hatch.
-Still marks inside on trim.
-Still some overspra
-Trim rubbers not replaced

And it continued on.......................

Maverick
07-04-2010, 11:11 PM
So the VW Insurance is no good? Looks like good coverage to me compared to other insurers.

There is probably nothing wrong with it, what I'm saying is that if you look at the dollars and make your choice based on them alone you will end up being screwed in a big way.

hcvo1
07-04-2010, 11:11 PM
This is my last AAMI repair, only the names of the AAMI managers have been changed to protect the useless. My previous claims were not much different. And this isn't the fully story as it dragged out a bit longer. Low speed impact from an angle hit from behind, corner of the rear bumper caved in and some damage to the panel behind the bumper. They ended up replacing the rear quarter panel (subaru outback h6 luxury) as it was damaged behind the bumper but they didn't quote on that.

26/10/2006 drop car off
08/11/2006 pick car up
-Rear bumper refitted as wasn't lined up (3cms out in areas) - around 2 hours waiting whilst they used cutting tools to remove parts of bumper brackets and more (painful to watch)
-Pointed out difference in colour compared to car
-Pointed out rubber trim on rear passenger door was not sitting right, told that the rubber trim had shrunk when off the car

09/11/2006

-Noticed rear door would not close properly
-Noticed that rear window was sticking out
-Overspray over whole car including windows
-Marks (including fingerprints) inside around where trim was removed

Arranged with Vulture Street to drop car in on the 13th.

13/11/2006 9am to 4pm

-Rear door was fixed (still not quite right)
-Rear window refitted, better but still too far out. Window installer claims that window has bowed after removal and the only way to fix was replacement.

Went straight to AAMI fairfield to discuss

13/11/2006 4:45pm

-Visited AAMI Fairfield and assessor looked at the car
-Discussed rear window as main issue and assessor agreed to order in a new window to fit if required and to allow a week. Organised the day of the 23/11/2006 to drop the car in and they would have a window installer come to remove the window and then look at the issue there.

13/11/2006 6:00pm

-Rear door trim on passenger door is hitting the front door
-Numerous marks on window trim
-Black marks on seatbelt (Cleaned off)

Thursday 23/11/2006 8:00am to 4:00pm

-Dropped in to have window fitted and raised other issues
-Vulture Street picked up the car and returned in the afternoon
-Looked at car with assessor, he arranged for manager B**** W****** to come out.

-Rear window still not fitted correctly
Discussed with manager who was not aware that the rear panel had been replaced and did not know why the window was not ordered but said that the window should not have been ordered. Manager claimed that the window must have been like this from day 1 and that the window doesn't bow after removal.

Pointed out that the car was not like this before the accident and that I had owned this from new and it was not like this when I picked up the car. If the glass has bowed after being removed it wasn't my problem, I expect the car to be in the same condition when I pick it up as when I dropped it off. The accident was not my fault and I will not accept the car back with was is in my view a major defect. If the glass bowed after removal then the other insurance company should be picking up the bill. If there is another problem then again this should be repaired.

Manager said why should they put a new glass in if the fault is in the old glass, went around in circles.

I said again that I don't care what has occurred, if the glass bowed after it was removed it should be replaced.

He Agreed to organise another glass to compare with this one and have the car measured to see where the problem is.

-Pointed out overspray on hatch on top left hand side. Agreed that to fix this.
-Pointed out that the trim was still hitting the front door. Agreed that the plastic panel has been damaged in removal and would replace it and the rubber trim.

Went over the numerous other defects and the number of times I had returned the car and time spent running around.

November 28-December 1 - attempted to contact B**** W****** on mobile number given, kept going to message bank. Requested a call back to arrange time.

December 7 got in contact with B**** W***** who had been on holidays.
Too late to organise anything as I was going on Leave on the 14th and he suggested leaving until the New Year. Told him I would call back in January when I was back at work.

Issues to resolve (as discussed with B***** W*****)

-Missing round plastic protectors where rubbers contact the paint on left hand side where the hatch closes and the left hand door.
-Overspray on door sill between front and rear doors.
-Marks still around trim on inside from removal of trim.
-Rear window not fitted correctly
-Gap on trim on top of window twice as large on the passenger side and trim has been bent.
-Gap around the hatch on the passenger side is 50% bigger than the gap on the driver's side.
-Gap inside the car between the rear window and the inside trim is double or more in areas over the driver's side.
-Rear bumper has a rattle when tapped from the underside at the rear.
-Rear passenger door trim and rubber to be replaced.
-Overspray on all panels in particular horizontal surfaces and the rear panel on the driver's side (areas that are have had tape on there are clearly visible)
-Overspray on the rear drivers side tail lamp.

January 22nd 8:15am
Spoke to G**** N***** when dropping car off
Gave him a list of the issues (above) and went over each one with him.
He again didn't have details of the replacement panel and only had the original quote.
Told him that I wanted it back in the same condition that it was dropped in. He was to call me back.

January 24th 2:10pm (1:52m)
Rang G**** N***** left message

January 24th 2:54pm (9:39m)
Rang G***** N******
He said he has seen the car and everything looks ok, the repairer has not taken out the window yet and was reluctant to do so.
The repairer claimed they had a window there last time to check but he couldn't confirm this (this is different to what B**** W***** told me when he said that no window was ordered last time).
I asked if there was a window ordered because B**** W***** told me he would arrange one but there wasn't one.
Told him again that the car was not like this, it's a clearly visible defect in the repair and it was not there.
Mentioned that I am particular about these things and it has never been like this. I also mentioned that I spent about 2 hours with the car before I picked it up waiting on finance company paperwork and went over the car looking at defects.
G*** seems to think that all they can do is to try and fit the window again without the sealer, I told him that I don't want the car back unless the glass is flush and the car back to how it was including gaps around panels (which are way off).
I said I don't have any faith in this repairer as it has been one stuff up after another and if need be AAMI can send it to another repairer.
Again said that I don't want the car back tomorrow unless the window is fitted correctly.
G*** said he would call me on Thursday to tell me what is happening.

January 25th
Picked up the car, the window is now fitting correctly after they removed all the layers of urethane? they use to bond the window. Each time they took it out they added a new layer hence the height and apparantly this is normal???

New and existing problems at pickup

-Installer scratched the window tint on the window in 5-6 places, I have to organise to get it retinted and claim it back from AAMI.
-Black fingerprints under stick on decals to protect the paint from the rubber stoppers on the hatch.
-Still marks inside on trim.
-Still some overspra
-Trim rubbers not replaced

And it continued on.......................

I think that is more painful than waiting six months for a GTI... my heart goes out to you and your car!

dave_r
07-04-2010, 11:50 PM

I just realised that I'm not in this magical over 30 insurance bracket...finally I win something hehe!

mattyf83
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Is there a check box where you can select ECU upgrades?

"Computer Chip" is appropriate, may need to disclose if it isnt a chip as such.

kennyc
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Tried to do an online quote with RACV (Vic's version of NRMA) and they don't have the MkVI Golf GTI as an option only the MkV... while AAMI does...

No that is not true, i have done a few online quotes with RACV and they do have the MKVI GTI

Christopher
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
^^ Same... did one on Monday and MkVI GTI was there.. Same with all the other insuarance companies online quoting system.
Was it due to the production year that you entered? i.e. may have been in as 2008/9?

hooba
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
The best test of whether an insurance policy is good value requires you to actually make a claim and see how the insurer handles it.

I'm surprised that Shannons hasn't received more of a mention. I would thoroughly recommend them, even if you're looking at insuring a normal car.

Corey_R
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah - I used Shannon's for my MKV Golf GTI, because AAMI wouldn't insure the car for the full value and wouldn't insure me cause I was under 30 and wouldn't accept any mods. Shannons were great, very competitive on price, welcome to the idea of modifications, and even will insure the car whilst on a race track (as long as you're not doing timed laps... so advanced driving courses etc are ok).
Shannon's handled the (not at fault) write off of my car well. They also do home and contents and provide mutli-policy discounts etc.

About the only thing I disliked is the fact that a hire car isn't even an option with Shannons, which was rather inconvenient :(
I'm personally wrapped with the NRMA Comprehensive Plus, especially now that I realise they're fine with modifications as long as the RTA is :)

MurphyTheElf
09-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm personally wrapped with....

Rapt.

Heil the spelling Nazi! (Sorry).

vw19
13-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I have been with AAMI for years and they have been fantastic with my recent troubles. Having said that, I haven't had any repairs done - I've heard pretty bad reports about their repairers.
My 4 week old Golf was written off and I found all the staff to be extremely helpful, polite and sympathetic to what I had happen.
They paid me out in full in under a week and the whole process was very smooth.

I am thinking of insuring with Allianz though when my new Golf arrives - they have a 'choose your own repairer' policy and use genuine parts.

Hey Nic - Congrats on your new car! I am picking mine up this Friday! :) Counting down.. hehe.. Something you might wanna check with AAMI. You can rollover your old policy to the new car given that your car was less than 2 years old and was written off. That is something that I will be doing as my car was a write off too - can save a bit of cash there.. Then after that year - you can go to Alliance for more savings! haha.. Not sure how much I will have to top up though. Will give them a buzz to find out.

nicandlance
14-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I can't do that because AAMI made me pay out what was remaining on the policy (a whole year!!), first before they paid us out for Golf. The policy was then closed. Bit of a rip off I think. I would have thought I could just keep paying to keep the policy open, and then transfer it to the new car - but no :-(

nicandlance
14-04-2010, 07:47 AM
p.s - Hoping to get a call today regarding mine.... hoping to get it before the weekend! Good luck and congratulations on yours!
What colour and specs are yours?

Corey_R
14-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Nic - Congrats on your new car! I am picking mine up this Friday! :) Counting down.. hehe.. Something you might wanna check with AAMI. You can rollover your old policy to the new car given that your car was less than 2 years old and was written off. That is something that I will be doing as my car was a write off too - can save a bit of cash there.. Then after that year - you can go to Alliance for more savings! haha.. Not sure how much I will have to top up though. Will give them a buzz to find out.

I can't do that because AAMI made me pay out what was remaining on the policy (a whole year!!), first before they paid us out for Golf. The policy was then closed. Bit of a rip off I think. I would have thought I could just keep paying to keep the policy open, and then transfer it to the new car - but no :-(

Hey vw19, which companies allow you to 'roll over the insurance' on a written off car? NRMA, AAMI, and Shannons all do not do this. What nic has described is correct, and is written in the PDS of every insurance policy I've ever read. As soon as the car is written off, and paided out, the policy ends and no refund is provided.

If there are companies that do roll over the insurance on a written off car, that would be a possible benefit in those policies.

vw19
16-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Coreying - You are right! Rang up AAMI today and they admitted that they told me the wrong info! They apologized and said that they will have a word with the guy who misinformed me. Oh well, looks like i have to fork out $746 - wonder if this price is good... He did say that my rating 1 for life will be carried forward.

Nic - My golf is a 90 TSI DSG - Automatic with comfort pack! :) Drove it off the dealer a few hours ago.. and Im absolutely lovin' it! My first Golf experience - Smooth, Speed, Sleek.......Sexy! :)

alebonau
16-04-2010, 08:56 PM
NLC here, have found them very competitive so far. and superb in service

vw19
16-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Juz checked out NLC's website - they seem to be more specialized in novated leases and car financing.. Will give them a call for a quote. Thanks for the tip alebonau!

alebonau
16-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Juz checked out NLC's website - they seem to be more specialized in novated leases and car financing.. Will give them a call for a quote. Thanks for the tip alebonau!

yeah I only found them as company I work for lease through them, when I bought my last car out of lease couple of years ago I continued to get insurance through them. Have rung around each year to make sure about their pricing to check and has always been competitive. with the new golf went straight to them after a bit of checking around as well :)

Corey_R
17-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Coreying - You are right! Rang up AAMI today and they admitted that they told me the wrong info! They apologized and said that they will have a word with the guy who misinformed me.

No worries mate. I was actually looking at various policies today and I actually found that GIO will continue the coverage "if they chose to" when your car has been replaced new for old. HOWEVER, the same stipulation applies, that the replacement car must be available in the country. So even if Nic was with GIO, as a car was not available, she would have been paid out and the policy terminated. Oh well :) It could be useful for those buying Japanese cars though :)

kennyc
22-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Well i have gone with RACV, got the complete care and paying monthly as it does not cost anymore.
Happy with them.

jonjon
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Beleive it or not, out of NRMA GIO AMMI QBE and ALLIANZ.. the best deal i got was from NRMA! I am 25 and it is a GTI mind you! hehe

how much were each of these companies quoting you for premium and excess?

sharkablue
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Well i have gone with RACV, got the complete care and paying monthly as it does not cost anymore.
Happy with them.

What is the difference between Complete Care and Comprehensive insurance?

What are peoples thoughts on HBA Comprehensive Car insurance?

REXman
08-07-2010, 01:47 AM
I found NRMA/RACV? is the best. They were very competitive and paid out in 2006 when I had some stuff stolen. I have been with them since my Ps and am now 28 (29 on the 27th of this month - yikes!) and I got a quote of $1100.

elisiX
08-07-2010, 06:31 AM
28yo, Low Risk Suburb, Market Value Cover - $840 w/ NRMA.

AdamD
08-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Here in SA I'm with Allianz. 32y/o rating 1, garaged in good suburb, agreed value of $54k, $820. Far better than what I could manage with the RAA (our equivalent of the NRMA) or Shannons - the only other insurers I'd consider.

elisiX
08-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Why go agreed value on a new car (unless you have mods you want insured)?

NRMA (and I assume most other companies) offer new for old replacement in the first 2 years.

After the first 2 years i'll be switching to an agree value.

AdamD
08-07-2010, 01:21 PM

NRMA (and I assume most other companies) offer new for old replacement in the first 2 years.

Well, I was told (and this could be wrong) that the insurer will only pay up to a maximum of the vehicle purchase price (and not rrp) if you go market value. Through a complicated set of circumstances I ended up getting a very significant discount, and I'm not confident I'd easily match it again. Further, there was next to no difference in my premium to go agreed, and while my agreed is significantly lower than rrp, it is higher than the price I paid (the insurer requested both values and thus knows this). And lastly, yep, I'll inevitably add a few extras here and there and I want my agreed value to reflect this.

Agreed that, in the majority of circumstances, Market is the way to go while the insurer offers new for old.

Corey_R
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM

So there are no surprises come write-off and new for old time when you think they've been insuring a car worth $42,990 when it actually costs $56,060? :)

ConR
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I always insure for agreed value...never market.

Maverick
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM

I'm with CGU who are three years new for old, QBE are four years new for old but I changed to agreed value after changing the alloy wheels because of the way car insurance works.

GTI comes with 17" alloy wheels, the 17" wheels are $570 each and the tyres $400 each. I fitted the R32 wheels which are $670 each and the tyres $500 each. The insurance company is exposed to an additional $800 risk in the event of a claim however it doesn't work like this and I had to insure them for full replacement at $4680 even though I didn't have the original wheels (which were valued by the insurance company at $3880 which I was paying for in the base premium). It worked out better to go agreed value as I would be covered for more in the event of a claim and the extra cost was minimal.

elisiX
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't modified my car, so new for old is simply that. If the car is written off in the meantime, they will need to replace it with the same options. Regardless of what I paid. However if any modifications are made to the standard car + options, I would expect to be out of pocket under the market value premium. Therefore would change to agreed once the mods start coming along (wheels and so forth).

So there are no surprises come write-off and new for old time when you think they've been insuring a car worth $42,990 when it actually costs $56,060? :)

Corey i've asked about this specifically and been told time and time again, whatever options I had fitted from the factory (or in taking delivery) are covered. Regardless of whether the RRP is $40k and with options its $60k. Personally I think they're nuts allowing such things but i've confirmed it a few times on 2-3 cars now in the past 6 years with NRMA. From what I can tell, its fine to go Market Value when buying new with no mods.

Corey_R
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
There's a catch with "New For Old". It's in your PDS. The car needs to be available and within the country. Otherwise they may simply pay you out. (This has happened to other forum members... some happy about it, some not so happy about it).

If this turned out to be the case, I would then be concerned at what the figure is that will pay you out on. The RRP price or drive away price of the base car? The RRP or drive away price of the car with options? Your invoice price? What they believe the current market value is?

Depending on which method they you, it could be fine, or it could end up in tears....

elisiX
09-07-2010, 11:14 AM
That is actually a very good point - I did not see it that way. Thanks mate.

Ill have to give them a call to discuss - ill update with my findings (after I speak with 3-5 people and find the average response as its bound to vary).

I would have thought that they'd pay out the invoice price (rather than retail) as they will want to pay as little as possible.

I cannot forsee them getting away with paying the base price without options.

MurphyTheElf
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
When I took out my Allianz-backed VW insurance, they firstly asked how much I paid in total, and then I made sure they noted all my options. I'm quite confident they would do the right thing, but let's hope it never comes to that.

mudguts
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I went with Suncorp $950 per year for Rating One for Life Over 25. Paid a bit extra to stay with Suncorp but that was purely to get my home and contents insurance 15% multiple policy discount. Excess is $500 for myself and my 25yo GF.

Flighter
09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
There's a catch with "New For Old". It's in your PDS. The car needs to be available and within the country. Otherwise they may simply pay you out.

Not necessarily. Mine got wiped out in a hail storm, and not only did they order a replacement from Germany (which has yet to arrive), but they let me keep the old one until it does.

Corey_R
10-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Hence why I said "Otherwise they may simply pay you out".

Many of us have read the various accounts from forum members during the recent Perth and Melbourne hail storms. For example, nicandlance had her few week old white 118TSI written off. AAMI checked and couldn't find an appropriate vehicle in the country or on its way, so they simply paid her out what she paid for the car. nicandlance already had received a fantastic deal the first time around, but lucky the dealer was happy to agree on the same price for a slightly different spec'd 118TSI in black, and nicandlance was happy with those specs and colour and took delivery almost immediately. So it worked out well for her.

Read around and you'll find that not everyone has been happy with this. They expected "new for old" and they didn't expect to be told by their insurance company that they won't wait for the several months for the car to arrive and where paid out.

Flighter
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Hence why I said "Otherwise they may simply pay you out".

Yep - no argument there.

Read around and you'll find that not everyone has been happy with this. They expected "new for old" and they didn't expect to be told by their insurance company that they won't wait for the several months for the car to arrive and where paid out.

No argument with that either. Given the circumstances, I would have been annoyed if I'd been paid out too.

AdamD
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I called my insurer, Allianz, today to enquire about their conditions regarding mods. I'm not planning on doing anything yet, but was keen to find out their charges for an APR stage 1 tune, larger intercooler, catback, etc etc - just out of interest.

I was told, in no uncertain terms, that any modifications that would increase the car's performance above stock would void my policy, and they wouldn't insure any vehicle directly that had been so modified. This includes APR ECU tunes. I was pretty surprised, so asked to speak to the supervisor on duty, and the same information was relayed to me - no performance mods, period. (I'm 32, rating 1 for life, no claims, etc.)

So, for those of you with modest performance modifications (as above: APR tune, mild exhaust, things like that), who do you insure with, and what is their attitude to your mods?

MACCAA
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm with GIO who are OK with APR.
I beleive AAMI are also.
Slight increase in excess[$100 I believe]

Corey_R
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm with Shannon who are quite happy with extensive mods. No increase to premium for me, unless I wanted to cover the cost of the mods in the coverage (note, for hardware mods in 2008 they wanted to inspect my car to see them and would only cover about 1/2 their value... mind you there was a lot and it was a fully optioned MKV GTI, so it was probably way above their upper threshold that they'd normally cover).

I was also with NRMA until just recently with my Polo GTI before I switched back to Shannons (due to them increasing the policy price for no good reason after my first year). NRMA are also fine with at least an ECU flash and, like Shannons, stated that there is no increase in premium cost unless I wanted the policy to cover the cost of the mods.

Whilst I have never had any hardware mods with NRMA, it was relayed to me that if the car would pass RTA inspections for road-worthiness, that NRMA would cover it! So don't go doing any mods which require an engineers certification, such as brake upgrades! But then, I wouldn't risk not having an engineers certificate for those types of mods with any insurance company :)

Ryan_R
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure RACV were ok with it when I asked them a few months ago. I wouldn't double-check that though.

MACCAA
01-10-2010, 08:47 PM
NRMA {Sydney} flatly refused to cover my S3 when i advised them it had a reflash.
Maximun no claim, no at fault claims[in over 40 years...]-still no dice.
That's why I switched from them to GIO.

rs73
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
GTI '09 build. AAMI, Rating 1 37yo male clean history $825 std excess ($500?) in high risk Melbourne west suburb

Corey_R
01-10-2010, 09:17 PM
NRMA {Sydney} flatly refused to cover my S3 when i advised them it had a reflash.
Maximun no claim, no at fault claims[in over 40 years...]-still no dice.
That's why I switched from them to GIO.

That's strange. What year was this?
NRMA were fine with my ECU flash this year....

ratedr
01-10-2010, 11:16 PM
As a warning to everyone... AAMI are downright cheap and nasty.

They took 12 months to repair my 2 year old Peugeot 308 XTE HDi. Insured for $50k, repair bill $50k +++.

Ruined a year of my life in terms of motoring and having a life. Absolute failure for the sole purpose of insurance. They are the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with.

Unlucky Your With AAMI Insurance (http://www.unluckyurwithaami.com) should give you further guidance.

I have been advised by those in the repair industry that Allianz is the best in the business. None of this 2 quote scam that NRMA and AAMI use to significantly underquote your repairs...

I have used NRMA for repairs before and they were good. AAMI, not worth a cent.

ratedr
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
And it has to be noted, 'Andrew Miedecke Smash Repairs' in Port Macquarie, mid north coast NSW, avoid at all costs... Only horror stories coming out of there and I have contacted all manufacturers they claim to be 'preferred repairers' for. Completely false advertising and the most unscrupulous dealer/repairer I have ever dealt with. They represent everything that is wrong with the smash repair industry.

rs73
01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
no problems with us when mrs 2 weeks old RAV4 was rear ended... they fixed it in about a week time. all's good.

I guess with any company you'll always have unhappy customers...

Corey_R
02-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Yes, but as has been mentioned many times before, even the reputable REPAIRERS caution customers about AAMI! Many reputable repairers will simply refuse to deal with AAMI, or charge AAMI customers for quotes (to be reimbursed in the off chance AAMI actually lets them repair there).

As for the "two quote system" that many insurance companies ask for these days. Get both quotes yourself, and you'll have no problem. Just make sure you chose TWO well regarded repairers that you'll be happy with :)

cbc118
02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
After working within the insurance industry, personally i think Suncorp/GIO (yes they are the same company) would have to be the best insurance at this present time. With their claims system, all that you need to do is take it to their MVAC (assessment centre). From their YOU get the choice of who and where you want the repair to be done. Either by someone you know and trust, or using one of their recommended repairers.

The costing of both these companies can be a little more than your AAMI's and NRMA's, but why spend $40k+ on a car and choose to skimp $50 on insurance? If you were that worried about the cost, then you should have bought a Hyundai Getz :)

blanch0b
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
The RAC over in WA the only way to go for me... has everything u could ever dream of - a bit more expensive than the others but thats because there not as petty and refuse claims for obscure reasons like all the other insurance companies.......

whats $50 to $100 on a $45k car when u have peace of mind that if anything ever happens there will be no issues whatsoever.... :)

AdamD
05-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Well, I just called Shannons for a quote. At my current agreed value (matching that of Allianz), they're an extra $485 p/a. And if I hypothetically were to add a Stage 1 APR tune, they'd be an extra $625 p/a. I just about fell off my chair.

Corey_R
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Insurance companies are funny.
Apart from finding out companies you should NEVER USE because their service and conditions are so bad, find "best prices" in threads like this are pointless. They seem to have a random algorithm for determining which customers they want, from where, and at what time.

3 months ago, Shannons are much cheaper for me than Allianz. GIO, Zurich and QBE were also not as good as Shannons (for me). I was with NRMA who WERE the best (for me), but then put their premium up 33% for no reason when it was time for me to renew. AAMI were not an option.

hooba
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
They seem to have a random algorithm for determining which customers they want, from where, and at what time.

There is nothing random about it, they all spend a lot of time analysing what kind of business they want to chase and therefore discount and what kind of business they want to push away with higher premiums. Most companies review their pricing on a weekly if not daily basis at a very detailed level, whilst taking into account numerous factors such as the amount of current claims they're processing. Many years ago I did some work for a start up web insurance company that was owned by one of the big firms, and to start off with they were basically only interested in writing policies for people over 35 living in the Sutherland Shire with no modifications - everyone else was either politely refused or offered a $$$ premium.

Corey_R
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes, I understand... but it's still random as far as consumers are concerned.

My main point still stands though. It doesn't really matter what price anyone here was able to get, you really need to call around (or use the internet quoting services) for each insurance company and compare the conditions yourself. Exclude ones which are known to be bad to deal with, but do the rest.

And then redo it each year, as even if you change from company x to company y to save 25%... the next year you may need to change back to company x to keep the same premium since y has put it up 33% !

ConR
06-10-2010, 06:26 AM
There is nothing random about it, they all spend a lot of time analysing what kind of business they want to chase and therefore discount and what kind of business they want to push away with higher premiums. Most companies review their pricing on a weekly if not daily basis at a very detailed level, whilst taking into account numerous factors such as the amount of current claims they're processing. Many years ago I did some work for a start up web insurance company that was owned by one of the big firms, and to start off with they were basically only interested in writing policies for people over 35 living in the Sutherland Shire with no modifications - everyone else was either politely refused or offered a $$$ premium.

Ya +1. I work for an insurance company. In IT albeit, but still know how it works. The calculations they use to determine your policy is insane. There are so many factors. Market, history, age, sex, history, car, where you live. They all factor into a rater spreadsheet basically. They come up with a rate for you based on that, and determine the cost.

blanch0b
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Ya +1. I work for an insurance company. In IT albeit, but still know how it works. The calculations they use to determine your policy is insane. There are so many factors. Market, history, age, sex, history, car, where you live. They all factor into a rater spreadsheet basically. They come up with a rate for you based on that, and determine the cost.

absoulte agree... i think this thread is not about comparing cost because there would be WAY too many variables for that - therefore its about quality of service, handling of claims, consumer choice, etc etc etc.... im very happy with my current insurer RAC of WA.

Mr_Bob
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
There are so many factors. Market, history, age, sex, history, car, where you live. They all factor into a rater spreadsheet basically. They come up with a rate for you based on that, and determine the cost.

I know this is the case, but everytime i hear that, it makes me angry.

Insurance companies would never track, or charge premiums in based on race, or sexual orientation, even if they had solid statistics to back it up.
(i'm not saying they should, but this is an example of them correctly avoiding discrimination)
Yet they openly discriminate against young people, males and people living in certain areas.
Although the area is relevent if only considered for theft risk, and not risk of collision..

Surely everyone should be protected by the anti-discrimination laws, regardless of the category/minority that we belong to?

The only high-risk category that I fit into now, is the male one, but it still makes me angry that this goes on.

The only "human" factor should be your driving history for NCB, the other factors should be things like sum insured, theft risk (location and vehicle), cost of repair and if the vehicle is security for finance.

They should not be allowed to use generalisations about people's behaviour based on the actions of other individuals that fit into their category.

ConR
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I agree with you too...partially. Unfortunately, insurance companies base their decisions on history & risk, and it's the risk that really drives the rates.

I agree that we shouldn't be stereotyped as bad drivers because we're males or females, and have that result in higher rates. I don't agree that my rates should be equal to anothers when that other person lives in a high risk suburb, known for higher car thefts and vandalism.

But, back to the thread......

hooba
06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes, I understand... but it's still random as far as consumers are concerned.

Not for all insurers. Check out Car Insurance Australia - Online Car Insurance Quotes - The Buzz Insurance (http://www.thebuzzinsurance.com.au) , they're owned by IAG. Very clever website which allows you to see what the different factors do to your premiums.

MurphyTheElf
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Not for all insurers. Check out Car Insurance Australia - Online Car Insurance Quotes - The Buzz Insurance (http://www.thebuzzinsurance.com.au) , they're owned by IAG. Very clever website which allows you to see what the different factors do to your premiums.

Anyone else tried getting a quote through that website? I have a highly spec'ed GTI and I could not set the Agreed Value above $46800. And they state that it is to include options.

On another note, Volkswagen Insurance sent me a renewal - with a 20% premium increase for good measure. My circumstances haven't changed and I've made no claims. Thank you, but I'll be moving to another company.

Corey_R
06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
On another note, Volkswagen Insurance sent me a renewal - with a 20% premium increase for good measure. My circumstances haven't changed and I've made no claims. Thank you, but I'll be moving to another company.

Yeah... this is what I don't understand and why I say that it truly appears random. I don't care what anyone else says, you have this happen to you a few times (like I have) and you truly have to wonder. Try a 33% increase like I had... and yet it's now only 3 months later and I'm researching which insurance company to go with for my Golf R, and that same company is now the cheapest option for me again! They're now quoting me LESS to insure the Golf R for 3 times the Polo GTI's value! And its the agreed value of the full RRP of my car on the road with options (and since I didn't pay full RRP, the balance will cover my planned stage 2 mods). So again, ITS RANDOM! lol

MurphyTheElf
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM
OK, I've had all manner of problems with insurance companies today. Here is a rundown:

Volkswagen Insurance (Allianz underwritten)

Increased my policy by 20%, despite no change of circumstance, claims or offences
Strictly no modifications to the car allowed
Would not insure the car for any more than $49k, despite paying much more and insuring with them from new and having a "new for old" provision on the policy.

Shannons

Customer service rep told me to shop elsewhere because I don't qualify as an enthusiast - I'm not currently a member of a car club and have not made any modifications on the car. Membership of a forum doesn't count.

QBE

The rep was so inept, I didn't even get past the make and model of the car before becoming frustrated and taking another call. My frustration may have been compounded by the previous two companies.

RAC

Following a bit of a breather after the last phone call, I rang RAC WA, and boy.... do we have a winner? It took me 45 minutes to get the policy sorted but here it is:

Open driver policy
Choice of repairer
Free glass replacement - 1 per year
No claim bonus protection - 1 at fault claim per year
Will allow performance upgrades without increase in policy price - I specified CAI and software upgrade and fully admitted they would increase car performance
Insured car for my agreed value
Based on regular drivers aged 29 and 32, both with clean history
Living in "questionable" suburb, car parked in driveway
Just over $1000

The most difficult part of this episode was getting insurance companies to recognise the value of the car due to options. With RAC, they would not go higher than a set base price, so I had to list every option including their value. I had to go back and forth with an underwriter for a while but they came back with a very good price. Volkswagen don't make this easy by having a very long and expensive options list.

Despite the difficulty, RAC get a big tick from me. I've also just changed my home, contents, and personal cover insurance over to them and saved about $250 per year.

Corey_R
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
RAC are a good company. In NSW they're NRMA. I've been very happy each time I've been with them, except they are the company that 3 months ago increased my premium by 33%. Just like your situation, no change of circumstance, claims or offences.

Shannons

Customer service rep told me to shop elsewhere because I don't qualify as an enthusiast - I'm not currently a member of a car club and have not made any modifications on the car. Membership of a forum doesn't count.

Shannons are a funny company. They are there for enthusiasts. However, they will insure your daily drive, but you must present yourself to them as an enthusiast and not talk to them like you would every other insurance company you wish to get a quote from. For example, tell them that you want a quote from them to cover your car as you'd like to start partaking in track days and add a few modifications. Talk to the guy or girl on the phone as if they were one of your mates and tell them about the mods and things like that.

Oh, and Shannons do House and Contents and greenslips etc too. (They don't advertise greenslips, but if you currently have Comprehensive, call them and ask them and they will give you the exact same price as GIO, but the advantage is it counts towards multi-policy discount etc).

But yeah - goes to show the importance of customer service and the randomness of insurance companies as to whether they currently want you as a customer or not :)

Mountainman
07-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I just tried that Buzz site for both cars and house/contents and all quotes ended up being about $100 more each than our present insurer RACQ. It's hard to tell if they are giving discounts for things like age, gold card member, clean driving record & multi-policy discount. All those 5-10% discounts really do add up. Our car insurances have stayed very steady for years with RACQ but the house/contents have escalated onormously in the last 2 years and with no claims on anything. The last excuse was "huge claims for cyclones in NQ"!

blanch0b
07-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Despite the difficulty, RAC get a big tick from me. I've also just changed my home, contents, and personal cover insurance over to them and saved about $250 per year.

Go RAC!! They just have better options, weird you had to individually list your add ons although they are insuring each add so it kinda makes sense.... My GTI is largely stock with some after market adds which i covered by upping the aggreed value. Its new car replacement is good too (for three years)

MurphyTheElf
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Go RAC!! They just have better options, weird you had to individually list your add ons although they are insuring each add so it kinda makes sense.... My GTI is largely stock with some after market adds which i covered by upping the aggreed value. Its new car replacement is good too (for three years)

I initially thought of the new car replacement as a bonus, but now I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. My old insurance policy was new for old, had all the options listed, but the insured value was $15k less than what I paid. Even with a 25% discount my car "like for like" could not be purchased for the sum insured. Plus, we're talking extremely high wait times for the Golf - very unlikely you'd get your exact car in any reasonable length of time assuming you have a couple of options tacked on. I'd prefer a payout for the full agreed value without the complication.

blanch0b
07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
yea for that very reason i always insure drive away value with NO discounts (eg $5-7k over what I paid) that would cover those costs and you dont run the risk of not getting a discount and being out of pocket....

Either way its going to be a wait as Id still order a GTI (touch wood that that NEVER happens to any of us!) or perhaps i may change and upgrade to the R (put in the extra $$!) There generally pretty flexible with that sort of thing.

peedman
07-10-2010, 07:32 PM
The way i see it is you would only get market value if you bought an optioned golf that is fairly common eg. with only 5 door, dsg, MDI. That way if it did come down to new for old replacement, you would be fairly sure that there would be a car in the country of that spec.

If you ordered your golf with a variety of options and your car got written off, then my take is that if the insurance company wanted to theyd just pay you out meaning you'd be out of pocket.

Mr_Bob
07-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Shannons also offer discount if you have a CAMS license.
Was pretty substanital too, 20% from memory?
for me, it means they were basically the cheapest.

For my reasonably modified Forester, they were charging me $1100 after my discount,
It was the cheapest, but not by alot, I mainly chose them as the coverage was good and modifications didn't bother them
Earlier this year, it dropped to $700 for no apparent reason.

So i got a quote for the R and it was just over $1K,
I'm not going to bother checking anywhere else, and I'm confident the price is fair.
I've hated every other insurance company,

NRMA takes the cake...
They tried to cancel my insurance policy when someone else drove over a gutter and footpath and hit my parked car.
They made threats, and interrogated we for weeks because they thought my stereo was worth more than the agreed value.
Even if it was, and they were going to cancel my policy, why would they withhold the claim payout due to this, when it was agreed by all parties that i wasn't at fault?
I object to being treated like a criminal before they've checked their facts...
I was so angry with them i felt physically ill, and have vowed i would never go near them again, regardless of price.

They also determined that I was at fault in another collision, using a theory that contradicted the road rules
I wasn't wealthy enough to fight an insurance company,
With an attitude like that, it's no surprise the statistics show young people have more at fault claims!

MIRSAD
07-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I am with VW Prestige (underwriter for Allianz)

My insurance is expiring on 30 Oct.

Originally they where asking for $182/month (combined for GTI and 90TSI with comfort package) which is 12% increase
After they transferred me to so called Customer Care premium was reduced to $174 - 7.2% more than last year.
For GTI ~ $950 ... it is cheaper then 90TSI (because my daughter is one of nominated drivers on 90TSI)

About agreed value ... when I was looking to insure Golf 2lFSI (after new car replacement period expired) maximum agreed value was set up by insurer and I was not allowed to insure it above that amount.

For me 3 years new car replacement is good option ... it is my understanding that PDS is stating that in the case of total w/off - if there is no Car available in Australia You will be paid out - market (in first 3 years new car) value... and if You are insured on agreed value You will be paid out agreed value ... in the year 3 I am not sure that agreed value can be high as "new car" value ... but maybe I am wrong.

If You are with Allianz it is not bad idea to speak with Allianz Customer Care (not sure is it their exact name but something like that) because they where able to reduce my first proposed insurance premium (for 90TSI by $300) in Dec last year when we nominated my daughter as 90TSI driver and again today by reducing increase from 12 to 7.2%

Flighter
10-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I initially thought of the new car replacement as a bonus, but now I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. My old insurance policy was new for old, had all the options listed, but the insured value was $15k less than what I paid. Even with a 25% discount my car "like for like" could not be purchased for the sum insured. Plus, we're talking extremely high wait times for the Golf - very unlikely you'd get your exact car in any reasonable length of time assuming you have a couple of options tacked on. I'd prefer a payout for the full agreed value without the complication.

Having benefitted from a replacement car clause recently, I decided that this feature is more significant than I had previously considered; so much so that I opted for a policy that gives me 3 years new-for-old this time around.

LvonMatterhorn
14-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm fortunate enough to get free insurance with a novated lease I am applying for. One of the benefits of working with a large insurance company.

ecka
15-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Insured Golf with RACV only $292

Converted
15-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Me thinks that's great value :thumb:. My GTI with RACWA costs around $800!

Corey_R
15-10-2010, 10:21 AM
lol... how is it it possible?!

blanch0b
15-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm fortunate enough to get free insurance with a novated lease I am applying for. One of the benefits of working with a large insurance company.

nothing is free.... ull be paying for it somewhere :)

and ecka - u must work for RACV to get a deal like that :)

simonm
15-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Is anyone looking at a GPS tracking device to lower the cost of their insurance or provide for the safety of their car? If so, what vendors are people looking at?

ConR
16-10-2010, 09:24 AM
damn...fully insured for $292? motorcycle insurance costs more than that....

AdamD
16-10-2010, 11:33 AM

That's got to be a typo, surely. You don't get full comprehensive car insurance for that price in this day and age, unless it's tied up with multiple policies and special discounts.

Brian
16-10-2010, 08:11 PM
That's got to be a typo, surely. You don't get full comprehensive car insurance for that price in this day and age, unless it's tied up with multiple policies and special discounts.
Negative, Adam
It all depends on the model. If you put a GT or GTI or GTD or anything resembling a performance vehicle in the name then they're going to hit you. My 118TSI Comfortline costs me $312 all up with RACQ QLD - fully loaded no extra discounts apart from being an old fart with a lot of years no claim. After quizzing them on mods, (wheels, suspension drop, chip, exhaust) they said - that'll be OK if it complies with ADRs and QLD transport regs. Effectively I'll have close to a GTI spec TSI insured for around $310 because its still a "COMFORTLINE". Go figure
Cant work out where "R" in the model equates to super-performance though, (for insurance companies) even though we know its the ultimate Golf. Wish I could afford one :( (or even a GTI)

ecka
18-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Thats right Brian.

$292 was just over the phone with RAVC insurance for the golf TDI comfortline. We do have rating 1 and am now classified in the older age range, the age range before you become an incresed liability.

AdamD
18-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Negative, Adam
It all depends on the model.

That's a great price Brian! Your age (amongst other things) must play a big part - my last car was a Honda Accord Euro, certainly not a high performance car (and I wouldn't have thought a big theft or crash risk either), and I was paying over $650.

Ryan_R
18-10-2010, 09:56 AM
My 118 TSI 'Comfortline' was something like $840 per year with RACV. Sounds high, but other companies were quoting between 1500 to 3300. I increased my payable excess and opted to pay annually in advance to keep the premiums lower (as long as I don't crash in the first 3 years of ownership I'll be ahead). Rating 3, aged 21 at the time. Once I get to 25 I'm sure it'll drop.

Brian
18-10-2010, 11:42 AM
My 118 TSI 'Comfortline' was something like $840 per year with RACV. Sounds high, but other companies were quoting between 1500 to 3300. I increased my payable excess and opted to pay annually in advance to keep the premiums lower (as long as I don't crash in the first 3 years of ownership I'll be ahead). Rating 3, aged 21 at the time. Once I get to 25 I'm sure it'll drop.
Ryan_R and AdamD - I'm fairly sure the age barrier is around the 35 mark. I'm 55 now and haven't had a claim in 10 years or more, but before I was 35 I couldn't get comprehensive insurance because of my claims and mostly owning sports or performance model cars. Its a pleasure to finally get some of the premiums back. One of the very few advantages of getting older but driving like an 18 year old LOL. Having said that my previous drive was a SS Commodore which I was paying around $800 only last year, hence my theory re "sports" badging. All I can say is "shop till you drop" for insurance prices that is.
Brian

dave_r
18-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Insurance premiums must be random some times.

I've got an average driving history, just turned 30 and the R quotes I got a few months back were ~$800 which I got no problems with. For some stupid reason, the Polo is $50 more regardless of suburb, my name or the missus, on the street, garaged etc and costs 1/3 of the price.

Ryan_R
18-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe people with R's/R32's are more likely to look after their purchase than those with Polo's, or perhaps previous claim data shows that to be the case)

masev
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
With all the insurance talk, has anyone considered the implications once an APR Stage 1 tune is performed? I would assume majority of them wouldn't cover you for such a modification??

Has anyone had experience with this? Coming from someone that has never "chipped" a car....

Cheers :)

simonm
01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I had a long read through the NRMA PDS, and the online quoting system, and neither require you to declare any modifications (as long as the car remains roadworthy), the only time the PDS mentions modifications is when it states that they will be covered as part of your insurance.

That said, read the PDS yourself, make your own conclusions, seek legal advice, yada yada. :-)

AdamD
01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
With all the insurance talk, has anyone considered the implications once an APR Stage 1 tune is performed? I would assume majority of them wouldn't cover you for such a modification??

Has anyone had experience with this? Coming from someone that has never "chipped" a car....

Just read back a few pages in this thread...

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/insurance-company-you-43286-7.html#post567134

Mr_Bob
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Having been insured with NRMA previously, they have made it clear to me that any modification must be declared,
or your insurance will be voided if discovered.
They've advised me in the past that they would not insure a vehicle that had been lowered more than 40mm, or had an aftermarket stereo over $3000
Perhaps this was due to my age at the time, or the value of the vehicle that I was driving, but modifications definately affect their decision on insurance premiums.

I have been told (in similar wording)
"if you don't declare XYZ, we have the right to void your policy in the event of a claim, on the grounds that we would never have insured you with that modification, even if the modification did not contribute to the damage in the claim"

This was when i was insured with NRMA, as they thought my stereo was over the threshold, when I placed a claim against another driver
(the other driver mounted the footpath and ended up in my work carpark, where my car was parked legally)
They tried to deny my claim against the other driver, and void my policy.

fergus
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Guys
If anyone wants a point of reference, I've just organised my GTi 5 Door Insurance Agreed Value with Shannons. About $820 per annum inc declaring an APR upgrade.

Corey_R
01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
If you lower your suspension by more than 40mm, then your car is actually not roadworthy (depending on state regulations), let alone insurable...

In the past 6 months when I've enquired, NRMA's stance is what most insurance companies should be. Their comment is that if the car would pass an RTA inspection (i.e. complies with all ADR's and roadworthy requirements), and it doesn't exceed any thresholds as far as cost, then they will insure it.

As simonm stated just above, they don't care what modifications you have. It doesn't even increase the cost of your premium, unless you need to increase the insurable amount to cover the cost of the modifications in the policy too.

But as always, there may be different conditions for people of different ages and in different locations, so always best to talk to a consultant and read the PDS' yourselves.

Edit: And as fergus just noted, Shannons are quite happy with mods too. My Polo GTI with APR Stage 1 was insured with NRMA and now with Shannons. My only reason for change was Shannons was cheaper this renewal round...

fergus
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Guys
Also forgot to mention that I noticed some people earlier asking about AAMI. Over the years, I have typically done most of my insurance through a broker. Brokers are usually "In the know" about what companies are like etc. The point blank answer I got about AAMI is "Don't touch them with a barge pole". Their premiums might be cheap but the "Fun & Games" apparently starts whenever you have a claim. Remember if you are dealing with your "Pride & Joy" here, do you want to be stuffed around ?

Shannons (by their nature of "Insurance for Enthusiasts"), are a lot more accommodating.

Idle
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Also forgot to mention that I noticed some people earlier asking about AAMI. Over the years, I have typically done most of my insurance through a broker. Brokers are usually "In the know" about what companies are like etc. The point blank answer I got about AAMI is "Don't touch them with a barge pole". Their premiums might be cheap but the "Fun & Games" apparently starts whenever you have a claim. Remember if you are dealing with your "Pride & Joy" here, do you want to be stuffed around ?

Being an ancient cit. and already having other cover with them I went with APIA, even though their quote wasn't the lowest.

When a claim arose (a "no fault" one, BTW) and it came down to needing help with getting the car fixed when the other party began ignoring correspondence, I found myself referred to AAMI, who insisted it go to their preferred repairer (the cheapest of 3 and don't argue with us...) despite their being able to claim it back in full.

Then the renewal notice came in from APIA for the second year — premium increased to over $1000, thank you (what happened to 'lifetime rating 1'?

Ran it through AAMI's on-line calculator and was quoted $735 and a few odd cents for exactly the same cover.

May yet go back to third party property cover — I always found it paid me better over the life of a vehicle (even back when I was running a fleet), despite the occasional repair bill.

My thought is that the actuaries who calculate insurance premiums use ouija boards rather than brains.

dave_r
01-11-2010, 03:43 PM
They all have a nice exit clause called "Duty of Disclosure" which covers all the gaps. Just because they don't ask, doesn't mean they don't want to know. If you play games with insurance, you may as well not have it.

Idle
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
They all have a nice exit clause called "Duty of Disclosure" which covers all the gaps. Just because they don't ask, doesn't mean they don't want to know. If you play games with insurance, you may as well not have it.

Precisely.

If they do you, that's business. If you do them, that's fraudulent breach of contract.

Insurance is probably one of the most pernicious forms of gambling ever invented.

ratedr
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Allow me to state the obvious. APIA is AAMI... Check out what comes under that umbrella, many insurance brands. When I had my 6 month ordeal with AAMI I dealt with a suncorp manager... The whole group is useless. If you smash, ensure you write it off. That's the only lesson you can get out of this! After a smash, it will never be in original condition... Never.

Idle
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Allow me to state the obvious. APIA is AAMI...

Yes, I know... Didn't when I bought the Golf, tho' — it had always been (and, last time I looked, its paperwork says it still is) Australian Alliance.

However, nowadays there seems to be two major local insurance groups (umbrellas?) with lots of names and a few (mainly foreign, I think) players with odd names, vigorous advertising and origins that mostly aren't at all easy to track down.

In fact, a typical example of what's happening to this country since open slather was introduced.

I'll not live to see it, but eventually Australia will become little more than a larger example of what happened to Nauru.

Now I'll put my soap-box back in the shed...

fergus
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Guys, In addition to my earlier praise of Shannons, if "money is no object" I am led to believe that AMP is excellent when it comes to claims but expensive premiums

tbone malone
24-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm up for renewal of my comprehensive insurance and have been shopping around for the last few days. Shannons does come across as a good insurer but the $2000 they quoted me was a bit out of my zone.

At the cheaper end of the scale, anyone had experience with Progressive Direct?

Darren
24-11-2010, 02:49 PM
FYI insured my new R with Shannon's thru my company. Agreed value $64,000 with all of my options listed for circa $1,400 pa. I'm very happy and their claim processing for one of our work Corolla's last month is brliliant.

Christopher
24-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm up for renewal of my comprehensive insurance and have been shopping around for the last few days. Shannons does come across as a good insurer but the $2000 they quoted me was a bit out of my zone.

At the cheaper end of the scale, anyone had experience with Progressive Direct?

are you <25 or >25?
For me, I'm <25 and I've insured with RACV (not too sure what your NSW eqivalent is, perhaps NRMA(?)) for agreed value of $42k for $1200 a year with a $1000 excess... So with stanard excess I was ~$1700-ish.

tbone malone
24-11-2010, 03:12 PM
are you <25 or >25?
For me, I'm <25 and I've insured with RACV (not too sure what your NSW eqivalent is, perhaps NRMA(?)) for agreed value of $42k for $1200 a year with a $1000 excess... So with stanard excess I was ~$1700-ish.

I'm over 25, under 30. Had NRMA for the past year at $1300, so just seeing what else is out there.

The lowest quote I've got so far is Progressive Direct at ~$850, but am interested to hear any others' experiences with them...

Darren
24-11-2010, 03:55 PM
are you <25 or >25?

I'm 48 - so age, history and a good rating is not an issue for me, but I do understand your point!

HPSOV
24-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Golf R
NRMA
$65000
29yo
$600 excess
Sydney

$1400pa

wooduck
24-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Golf R
NRMA
$55000
56yo youngest driver
$1000 excess
Sydney
$776.38 pa.

AdamD
24-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Golf GTI
$54k agreed
32y/o, Rating 1
Garaged in good suburb, Adelaide
Allianz: ~$800p/a, $500 excess

dave_r
24-11-2010, 10:04 PM
AAMI quoted me (30yo) $850 but I don't like their policies because they don't allow choice of repairer and I believe the Golfs can't be repaired by anyone, particular rear end damage? Something to do with laser welds and the rear quarter?

GIO who do allow choice of repairer came back at $1250 with $600 excess though I have house and contents with them so might see what they can do as a bundle and bring the Polo over as well.

v0a
24-11-2010, 11:27 PM
are you <25 or >25?

im <25 and insured with RACV, agreed value 48k for $1300 a year with $950 excess (400 for age)

Corey_R
25-11-2010, 07:34 AM
AAMI quoted me (30yo) $850 but I don't like their policies because they don't allow choice of repairer and I believe the Golfs can't be repaired by anyone, particular rear end damage? Something to do with laser welds and the rear quarter?

GIO who do allow choice of repairer came back at $1250 with $600 excess though I have house and contents with them so might see what they can do as a bundle and bring the Polo over as well.

AAMI could be paying you $850 and you should still go with GIO!
Don't do it man - you do not want to risk an accident and NOT WRITING IT OFF with AAMI.

driver19
25-11-2010, 10:24 AM
NRMA. I'm 38 and got full no claim bonus + 10 years plus discount + multi policy.
Agreed value $52,000
$605 (no windscreen, basic hire care, $600 excess)
$733 (windscreen, full hire care, $600 excess)

Cheaper than my 13 year old Honda Civic!

dave_r
25-11-2010, 12:25 PM
AAMI could be paying you $850 and you should still go with GIO!
Don't do it man - you do not want to risk an accident and NOT WRITING IT OFF with AAMI.
LOL you're not the first person to say that! Consider them avoided. Though I do tend to do things properly so a write off shouldn't be an issue ;)

ian
25-11-2010, 01:46 PM

I'm also with GIO and was Quoted nearly $1000 and i have house and contents plus 2 green slips and another car with third party, so i went on line and did a GIO on line Quote which was $820 you save 15% if you do your insurance on line.
Once you have completed your details ring the help line and quote the quote number and they will complete it for you and save 15%.

dave_r
25-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Once you have completed your details ring the help line and quote the quote number and they will complete it for you and save 15%.
Oh my price was online but no harm trying to negotiate a better rate, have done it before. Will ring them tomorrow if I can pull myself away from GT5 hehe

docballs
26-11-2010, 10:21 PM
spoke to QBE today
I was told for new cars they offer 4yr new for old replacement.. This was heaps better than RACV and Strattons.
Turns out this applies only to cars they Grade as 1 - 6 and if your new car is Grade 7-9 they will only offer 2 year new for old replacement!!
Guess what the Golf R is graded? You guessed it - Grade 7 - so only 2 yr replacement available.
They also limit the total kms driven in 1st 2 years to <20,000!!After that market Value only !!!
Double bummer - as most people I'm guessing would do more than 10,000km's per year.
Lesson 1 - read all the fine print and ask lot's of questions before you sign up.
Lesson 2 - make sure own choice of repairer is stated
Lesson 3 - most standard excess is around $600. Huge savings can be had if you are prepared to have a slightly higher excess in place - consider $1000
Lesson 4 - Make sure ALL options are listed - needed if car stolen or total write-off in 1st 2 years
Lesson 5 - ask about windscreen option - some include it for free whilst others have extra charge added per year.
Lesson 6 - loan car rental usually limited to between 14-21 days. Most are capped to $1000 maxm. and some will limit to $50 per day.

okisub
26-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I had a quick look around today, with online and phone quotes for comprehensive cover for a new manual 2010 golf GTI for my wife and I(both 32yo with a clean driving record).

It's not a 100% fair comparison as the excess' and little details like hire cars etc differ slightly. But it's pretty easy to narrow the choice down to 2.

RACQ $358
Suncorp $744
NRMA $356
Allianz $466
Just car $889
AAMI $483
Youi $733
Shannons $676
and Budget Direct wouldn't even offer cover to us?!

dave_r
27-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Lesson 1 - read all the fine print and ask lot's of questions before you sign up.
Good advice mate.

I'll be going with GIO who in my case are $1300 with agreed value at the max (~$66k) including windscreen cover. This pushed the premium up a bit as their standard value is about 55k. There is a good reason for this though. GIO (and I suspect others) have a max time for delivery of the "new for old" replacement. So while my Golf R will be replaced with full options and onroad costs, it has to be done within 90 days. If they can't, then the agreed payout figure is given.

We all know the chances of a Golf R being delivered inside 3 months is slim to none so an extra $100 or so in premiums to make sure I get paid back more than I paid for the car is worth it to ensure I can replace it. Their value of $55k wouldn't be enough to replace the car.

Another trap is they have an additional $400 excess for the Golf R due to vehicle type (so $1k total excess)

Pepe
24-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Finally got around to redoing my insurance today from the month by month one I signed up to when I got my R (only NRMA had it on their list at the time).

Ended up going with... NRMA!

Won't put all the details up, but asked about mods and was told "as long as they're legal, just include them in the agreed value and you're covered". So, got it covered for $77k. Also, she did mention that premiums vary up and down month by month, so if you're just going month to month, could pay to actually watch it on a monthly basis, mine was about 10% cheaper in Feb than last July when I first took out a policy with the NRMA.

Corey_R
24-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah - NRMA is turning out to be an attractive option atm. Everything goes in cycles with insurance, but this new system of theirs of leaving the roadworthiness/legality of the cars to the owners and therefore not listing performance modifications, and thus not putting up the premium due to that, is a bonus.

Going from a "Stock" Golf R to a Stage II+ added $400+ to my quote from Shannons (and that wasn't including the increase in insured amount to cover the mods!), yet it makes no diff to NRMA (other than the increase in insured amount to cover the mods).

aVex
24-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah - NRMA is turning out to be an attractive option atm. Everything goes in cycles with insurance, but this new system of theirs of leaving the roadworthiness/legality of the cars to the owners and therefore not listing performance modifications, and thus not putting up the premium due to that, is a bonus.

Going from a "Stock" Golf R to a Stage II+ added $400+ to my quote from Shannons (and that wasn't including the increase in insured amount to cover the mods!), yet it makes no diff to NRMA (other than the increase in insured amount to cover the mods).

It seems to me this could also be a way for insurance companies to pick out the smallest of things that may affect road worthiness and deny a claim? On the other hand if they did explicitly list what you have modified, increased your premium then they cannot deny the claim. Any thoughts?

Corey_R
24-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Makes no diff... even if you did list the stuff, they could still pick out the smallest of things (related to them or not) which they could then deny the claim based on... just depends how stingy they wanted to be.

SuperHans
24-02-2011, 08:44 PM
anyone with RACQ? any good?

brimway
24-02-2011, 08:58 PM
anyone with RACQ? any good?

I don't know if it is a good deal or not, but I pay $587 with RACQ for MK V GTI (rating1 for life, multiple cars and gold membership) after telling them at renewal about mods, exhaust, 18'wheels RNS510 premium increased by $9.80 per year. I have windscreen included in the deal. I can't comment on their claims process cause I have not have not made a claim and hope never to.

aVex
24-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I got a quote from RACV for my yet to arrive GTI, seems to be more expensive than most people here. I added an additional year to my age to see if next year I'll end up paying less, but the premiums remain the same :( How come other states are so much cheaper.

$1100, $750 Excess, 29 Years.

Ideo
24-02-2011, 09:49 PM
$1200 for me with NRMA. 26, 3 points, no claim ever.

Shannons, who I am currently with, wanted... $2900

pumped
25-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Allianz for me, Golf R with a few extras
24 yr old $920 Includes Windscreen

Anyone who wants advice
Go with a reputable insurer and someone who does not only insure direct online
One of the best deciders for an insurance company can be wait time & claims handling staff
It may even be worthwhile to call the claims department before you even go with the company and see how long they take
Generally they answer the phone alot faster for new business than claims
I sell insurance company for a living and cringe when people change their policy to go with an online only insurer because
its "half the price".. Its like everything, you get what you pay for

markwid
25-02-2011, 08:11 AM
For various cars in the last 10 years, we have been using Allianz for comprehensive insurance. Each year when renewal hits, we check for prices from others. Usually Allianz is lowest or just slightly worse. So we stick with them.

And for claims, they have been good to deal with. Thankfully, we have only claimed where others are at fault.

HPSOV
25-02-2011, 09:28 AM

What agreed value? What excess?
I am paying $1300 through NRMA and did a quote with Allianz and it was $1200 with an agreed value of $52000 (the highest it would go, I would have liked to insure for more given the options I have) and $550 excess. 30yo with no accidents.
I suspect the suburb you live in must play a huge part in your premium.

Ideo
25-02-2011, 09:35 AM

How? I get a message saying they can't insure me at 26 because of my age and type of vehicle?

stucam
25-02-2011, 10:05 AM
How? I get a message saying they can't insure me at 26 because of my age and type of vehicle?

Ah, and who ever said being middle aged was a drag! :cookie:

dave_r
25-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I am paying $1300 through NRMA and did a quote with Allianz and it was $1200 with an agreed value of $52000 (the highest it would go, I would have liked to insure for more given the options I have) and $550 excess. 30yo with no accidents.
Probably put the info earlier in the thread but I'm around $1200-1300 premium with ~$800 excess as GIO as an extra one for the car type. Same age with good history. Clincher was they let me have a 66k agreed value with windscreen replacement.

I've rang them a few times to confirm flash tune and track days and you get through to someone almost immediately which is great

pumped
25-02-2011, 11:04 AM
What agreed value? What excess?

Agreed for $49,000
Which is a bit low but it does come with the new vehicle replacement cover for 2 years
$500 excess (+ age excess which you cant avoid)
Suburb plays a huge part in the premium, Im in Newcastle so the rates are alot less than sydney
Its covered under a Commercial Motor policy also which helps avoid any age problems
Premium will drop significantly when i hit 25 also

dave_r
25-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Which is a bit low but it does come with the new vehicle replacement cover for 2 years
You might be in for a nasty surprise regarding that policy! Read up on the fine print.

GIO states that if they cannot replace the car in 90 days, you'll get paid market value or agreed value if specified. For the R, their market value was below 55k despite the car costing way more so I paid an extra $50 for the higher agreed value just in case.

Big Yellow
25-02-2011, 11:51 AM
also in for a surprise if you think premiums drop significantly when you turn 25! the only thing you can save on is the age access so therefore take on a larger excess to reduce premiums. but its SFA anyway. (based on my experience with my r32 with racv)

pumped
25-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I know the wording pretty well
and i know my premium will drop around $200 by being over 25
I am an Insurance Broker so i have access to the Allianz quoting system & various other insurers so i can fiddle with things a bit to get myself the best price
Can also access discounts and reductions not normally available

7R
25-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Just getting quotes - Golf GTI, 49k value, both drivers over 40. Clean driving, clean livin etc... $1100 with full NCD and house, contents and current green slip. One word for the wise - compliance. Just because the insurer says yes to mods as long as they are roadworthy doesnt mean they are. You need to check with RTA in NSW as to whether CAI, tune etc are legal. I had an over the radiator CAI in my V8 and it was not deemed roadworthy... if stopped by the cops I would have been defected off the road by virtue of my CAI. Just because something is being sold, advertised and used widely doesnt mean it retains the car's roadworthiness. This is the loophole most insurers will void your claim through - much the same as the manufacturers warranty.

Until someone on the forum gets their mods engineer certified and then signed off by the RTA it is entirely plausible that the car could be deemed unroadworthy for something as simple as a CAI or tune.

pumped
25-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that although some insurers will not ask the question nor specifically note in their wordings that they will exclude modifications the basis of insurance is that anything a reasonable person feels necessary to mention/or should mention if it may affect the cover needs to be disclosed.

For Example- Some Insurers will give you a quote over the phone and may not ask your history/about modifications but in the event of a claim you may find yourself having to fight to get things paid.

thirdwill
25-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Was gonna go with Allianz but they couldn't insure my wife.

Now with AAMI.
Comprehensive Agreed value of $52k, Windscreen and Hire Car option for me (30) and my wife (27) Excess is $400.
all up $55/month or $660/year

MurphyTheElf
25-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Was gonna go with Allianz but they couldn't insure my wife.

Now with AAMI.
Comprehensive Agreed value of $52k, Windscreen and Hire Car option for me (30) and my wife (27) Excess is $400.
all up $55/month or $660/year

I was initially with Allianz (VW Insurance) and was able to negotiate cover for my girlfriend, despite her being under 30. Nobody else under 30 was allowed to drive the car. It seems they have very strict and antiquated policies, including no modifications. Also, their new for old policy isn't worth a damn because they refuse to negotiate on agreed value.

The price you have now is very good! I pay about $1000 for the same cover, but I'm with RAC, who put my car value up to $57,000 which is enough for a new fully loaded GTI - precisely what I have now. No driver restrictions.... modifications are fine. The higher price is probably due to the dodgy suburb and I park in an open driveway.

m3103
25-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Out of pure interest. Has anyone tried using iselect to find the best deal for them?

Ohmang
25-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Out of pure interest. Has anyone tried using iselect to find the best deal for them?

Just tried then - could not give cover. Wanted you to ring them for a quote.

AusBob
25-02-2011, 10:04 PM

iSelect came back to me with two options... both over $1700!

Pepe
25-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I was initially with Allianz (VW Insurance) and was able to negotiate cover for my girlfriend, despite her being under 30. Nobody else under 30 was allowed to drive the car. It seems they have very strict and antiquated policies, including no modifications. Also, their new for old policy isn't worth a damn because they refuse to negotiate on agreed value.

My wife is under 30 and I had no problem getting her as a listed driver on the policy. Did cost me about $100 extra though from memory. They only wanted to know if she had a clean driving record, other than that, no issues. NRMA FTW! :D

anders
26-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I have used a number if insurers over the years, but have found that everyting depends on your own curcumstances. My main consideration is repair issues and how well things are handled over the phone. After much trial and error I have found that without a doubt the best insurer for me was QBE - fast attention, minimal delay on claims and competitive rates with excess options to suit and even monthly payment options with minor cost impact

An easy on line quote is available through most websites

I will never use Allianz again, Have had friends that have had issues with claim delays through AAMI

TeamCrash
28-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

I'm with AAMI, I have a rating 1 though and on a gti its under $1000

vim16v
28-02-2011, 08:01 PM
My 2c..

Believe it or not, NRMA was the best for the R (post multipolicy discounts) I opted and insured for purchase price totaling $900 odd.
Full NCB.

Ideo
28-02-2011, 09:58 PM
My 2c..

Believe it or not, NRMA was the best for the R (post multipolicy discounts) I opted and insured for purchase price totaling $900 odd.
Full NCB.

NRMA was by far the best for me on a single policy as well. Less than half the price of Shannons, close to a grand cheaper than AAMI (who I wouldn't touch anyway)

Pepe
01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Just make sure on the NRMA policy you adjust the agreed value to what your car RRP's for. The default is high 40s, whereas onroad RRP for mine is upwards of 75k. Write it off in the first 2 years and you'll either be getting the complete base model or a cheque for <50k if you haven't adjusted it upwards.

Ideo
01-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Just make sure on the NRMA policy you adjust the agreed value to what your car RRP's for. The default is high 40s, whereas onroad RRP for mine is upwards of 75k. Write it off in the first 2 years and you'll either be getting the complete base model or a check for <50k if you haven't adjusted it upwards.

Joys of buying a car with not many extras. Only had to nudge it a little bit upwards.

TeamCrash
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Just make sure on the NRMA policy you adjust the agreed value to what your car RRP's for. The default is high 40s, whereas onroad RRP for mine is upwards of 75k. Write it off in the first 2 years and you'll either be getting the complete base model or a check for <50k if you haven't adjusted it upwards.

I had the same issue at first with AAMI, however because I've got a rating 1 with them I told that their price didn't not included all the on road costs with buying a new car. full comp price then went down....

Lams
02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
hello all, I have just had my share of insurnace ring-around yesterday. I'm picking up my new car today and prices are all over the shop
Started with internet quotes:
AAMI - 990
NRMA - 460
RACQ - 530

I am 25, suburb is Greenslopes (Brisbane). I need under 25 coverage for my younger brothers.

I rang RACQ to see if they can adjust the agreed value to $43k from 39k, but when I rang the lady said she can't do anything about internet quote. She quoted me on the phone $960

I said the difference is huge and I told her NRMA quoted me $460. We started looking into finer detail and I got the tone from her that she thought I didn't know what I was doing. At the end I said "do you want to see my quote?" she said "nah I don't need to see it" and price matched with NRMA.

I wonder how many people just pay what they are told to pay? By spending a few min I potentially saved myself $500

note: this isn't a GTI but a Caddy Maxi Life

srl
18-07-2011, 11:40 PM
My GTI just ticked over 12 months and with it came the Allianz renewal for just over $1250! I have not made an insurance claim on a car since 1998, live in a fairly safe suburb in Sydney's north and am in mid-40s. So the cost seemed a bit high. I did some quick shopping and ended up with AAMI. A trick I discovered is that online didn't allow me to nominate all the options (Detroit, ACC, BiXenon), but I got them added once I had a cover note number and called them up. Cost me $720, although I did decide to take on a $2k excess, given that I don't make that many claims. On a lower excess, premium was about $900. On the money I saved, I can claim every four years and still be in front. And, I checked: policy coverage is identical. Anyone else had some high priced insurance renewals come through recently? I wonder if they just assume you'll pay it?

Corey_R
19-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Well... given you took a $2k excess, the policy already isn't identical. Also, no details about hire car (and under what conditions), windscreen, etc. Also, you then have to deal with repairers that want to deal with AAMI...

Anyway. Why not go for YOUI ? :)

backdoc
19-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I did alot of online quotes for my GTI. Currently my Skoda is with AAMI and for $1000 excess it is only $600 with windscreen protection. So naturally I rang them to compare the GTI and that was $1200 with $1000 excess! I called RACV and for the exact same cover, with windscreen and $1000 excess it was $680! I am 33 and Rating 1 for life. Couldn't believe the price difference though. My finance company sent me a quaote automatically and that was $2200!

aVex
19-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm with RACV.

Residing in dodgy Kensington, Victoria.

29 Years, Rating 1, Golf GTI MK6 Manual 5 Door, Agreed Value $49K

Approx $1080/year $700 Excess

markwid
19-07-2011, 11:22 AM
With NRMA - $820 premium on agreed value.

Finance_Analyst
19-07-2011, 01:17 PM
i am with Suncorp and live in inner city brisvegas, lug. only 523 bucks with 2 yr new for old. allianz was even cheaper at 468 but paid extra as ive been told suncorp is better

easeup
19-07-2011, 04:37 PM
RAC. $1650 annual comprehensive with $850 excess. Includes windscreen and hire car (in case of theft only). Ouch! But then, i am 20 with only a 30% no claim bonus.

langers_sydney
19-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Phoned around, went with NRMA due to the 'modifications' don't matter clause, reputation, availability for dealing with them on phone if anything happens and the agreed value was good. Oh and they were cheapest $940.

LS

JPanDAX
19-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Gio $1200 with named drivers and $600 basic excess.

Based on 55k value replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozram
19-07-2011, 05:56 PM
There was something on one of the current affairs shows last night about Coles now doing car & home insurance. I typed in my details on the website (http://www.colesinsurance.com.au/)and found it saved me around $350. I will be looking into it further to see if its the real deal, although Paul Clitheroe reckoned it was comparable with all the other companies. I did one for my son's vehicle and that came out way over what he is currently paying so the savings may be only for drivers over 25. Might be worth checking out.