PDA

View Full Version : Which 1.8t 20v engines will fit a mk1 Golf. Need to know engine codes?

Tommie
06-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Just joined and still a bit new!
Would like to know the engine codes for the 1.8t 20v engines that will fit a mk1 Golf? Need to hear from local boys who has done this conversion PLEASE!!!

h100vw
06-04-2010, 08:42 PM
It's supposed to be easier to fit the AEB Passat/A4 motor (needs a transverse sump) and the AGU from the Golf or A3. They have the right mountings built in for the MK1 engine mounts to bolt up. Have a look for Golfloons Scirocco thread.

This thread looks pretty good for a reference http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=4292

If you want to use the standard ECU give me a shout, the immobilisation can be got around so you don't need the clocks and keys.

Gavin

Golf Loon
07-04-2010, 02:37 AM
AEB Has the mounting holes. AGU does not.

tommymac
07-04-2010, 07:12 AM
I used the AGU for the mk2 but i think its right you need the AEB here this nice guide for you as we are very nic e people

http://myweb.whitman.syr.edu/srotblat/swap/

h100vw
07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
AEB Has the mounting holes. AGU does not.
Stand corrected. ;)

Golf Loon
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
The heads are the same on the 20VTs. You really need an AEB Passat or Audi engine and all the ancillaries from a Mk4 Golf GTI or A3.

You can also use an AGU engine and make up a bracket to hold the Mk4 engine mount onto the Mk1 chassis rail in front of the driver.
I have seen that done on a couple of pommie conversions and they look tidy.

vert1
07-04-2010, 12:23 PM
AEB and AGU both share the big port head, AUM (DBW) has the small port head.
Ideal combo is the AEB or AGU with the electronics from AUM so you have ME7.5 ecu, wideband and DBW if you want to go big turbo

tommymac
07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Why do you need DBW for a big turbo?

to save money just weld in a second 02 bung and stick in a wide band sensor and gauge. If your running an aftermarket ecu then sweet if not then just crack a Giac chip in there.

vert1
07-04-2010, 02:31 PM
The older style ECU's (AEB, AGU etc) only have 440cc maps readily available for them, with our car (GT3071R) we went with a 630cc MAF'less file and that meant we had to convert our car to ME7.5 ECU which is already DBW and wideband.
All I was getting at in my last post was that if you want serious performance with a big turbo then the later ME7.5 ECU is the way to go, will support 1200cc injectors off the shelf software however the earlier engines AEB and AGU etc have the better big port heads.
Why anyone would go aftermarket ecu with these cars is beyond me, the factory system is unbeatable when used with something like Eurodyne Maestro software.

tommymac
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Ok I see your point does the ME run a map sensor then?

In regards to aftermarket ecus, your forgetting all the difficutlies with clocks, immobs etc etc I know from my swap that redoing the mk4 cluster could smoke my nads! plus I like tuning my car rather than just chipping but each to there own your point is very valid, what car you running it in? mkIV?

vert1
07-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok I see your point does the ME run a map sensor then?

In regards to aftermarket ecus, your forgetting all the difficutlies with clocks, immobs etc etc I know from my swap that redoing the mk4 cluster could smoke my nads! plus I like tuning my car rather than just chipping but each to there own your point is very valid, what car you running it in? mkIV?

Yes ME7 runs a map sensor, No difficulties with clocks etc as you just get the immo defeated.
Look at it this way, the factory has already spent millions developing driveability, cold starting/running etc etc why go to a standalone requiring all this to be set up.
As far as the clocks etc if you run a larger turbo/injectors a new map has to be purchased anyway so you can then defeat the immobiliser at the same time.
With Eurodyne Meastro you run the factory ECU, flash it at home and use Maestro to fine tune the car yourself if required.
We run a 1.8T (AGU) with a GT3071R in a MK3 Vento, only running 15psi so far it makes 215KW @ the wheels.
We realised too late that our old ecu would only support 440cc injectors so we converted the car/engine to ME7 with wideband and DBW so we could go 630cc map.

tommymac
07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Yer that is all very true, i guess it depends how much tunning you want to do.

funny you say that I just spend 4 days sorting my idle out so in regards to stocks ecus you are very correct.