PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a nice condition A3 1.8T MY99

parso_rex
31-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Just bought a nice A3 1.8T for a short term project car, it also allows me to get rid of the other car and still function

AGU motor not even sure what ECU.
122K kms
needs new PCV hoses
needs new rotors and pads soon
has crap tyres
I'll put up some ugly photos a bit later

Can I get it fully sicked up and remapped in time for the dyno day :banana:

Jmac
31-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Great stuff mate, AGU strong as an ox. Bigger small ends can take the boost no dramas. Have fun with that mate
Great platform, great car and doesnt date. And to top it reliable.
Look forward to see where u go with it and the pics
Cheers
Jmac

parso_rex
31-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I have to learn about these guys so what better way to start. I can do the remapping and all that jazz but as for the VAG specific stuff it will be a steep learning curve. I knew the AGU motor was strong
I vagcommed the thing pre purchase and found few errors so it seems alright.
I know this model's ECU or maybe it was The MY98 required a chip swap rather than a serial flash so it will be interesting to see what it actually is.

Initially it will be
Dump pipe
FMIC
might do dump valve as well
oh reflash of course

& soon after
K04
manifold
inlet

jayjay
31-03-2010, 09:01 PM
nice work mark. that was pretty quick.

2 or 4 doors?

parso_rex
31-03-2010, 09:20 PM
nice work mark. that was pretty quick.

2 or 4 doors?

Well I still have the search going for an S3 and now with a 3rd on on the way we will at some stage have to get a touareg (V10 of course) but I'm thinking that with the R coming I should hold off for a bit. If anything S3 prices will drop anyway.

oh yeah 4 doors, ugly blue, CD stacker sunroof leather

h100vw
31-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks, I have to learn about these guys so what better way to start. I can do the remapping and all that jazz but as for the VAG specific stuff it will be a steep learning curve. I knew the AGU motor was strong
I vagcommed the thing pre purchase and found few errors so it seems alright.
I know this model's ECU or maybe it was The MY98 required a chip swap rather than a serial flash so it will be interesting to see what it actually is.

Initially it will be
Dump pipe
FMIC
might do dump valve as well
oh reflash of course

& soon after
K04
manifold
inlet

You can flash the 98 ECU, that's what mine was. Part number ends in AQ.
I have files for all cable throttle ECUs.

Downpipe is a good mod even on a standard ECU, you can feel them spool earlier.

Gavin

parso_rex
31-03-2010, 09:52 PM
You can flash the 98 ECU, that's what mine was. Part number ends in AQ.
I have files for all cable throttle ECUs.

Downpipe is a good mod even on a standard ECU, you can feel them spool earlier.

Gavin

Hmm I had issue with a 98 A3 before but I haven't been back to it to get at the ECU. Friends dad etc etc. I talked it over with my support guy in Italy and they said it was most likely the ECU being an earlier motronic not the later ME7. This earlier one had the diag port in the centre console Vs my cars drivers side under the steering wheel. Just looking at a log the earlier one was an AQ

This one, my one, is a 06A 906 018 CJ

All things for me to learn of course

http://www.recode.net.au/images/A3/A3_18T11.jpg
http://www.recode.net.au/images/A3/A3_18T02.jpg
http://www.recode.net.au/images/A3/A3_18T07.jpg

h100vw
31-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Same with my A3, port in the centre console. The ECU is ME3.8, I have bench leads for them. I don't reckon everyone has the hardware to flash them.

I have a file for the CJ, not come across one myself but with the port under the steering wheel, might even be able to flash that directly?

Gavin

parso_rex
31-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Same with my A3, port in the centre console. The ECU is ME3.8, I have bench leads for them. I don't reckon everyone has the hardware to flash them.

I have a file for the CJ, not come across one myself but with the port under the steering wheel, might even be able to flash that directly?

Gavin

I'll let you know on Tuesday when I pick it up. I'm googling those ecus now and theres lots of conflicting info a couple of places do say that you can.I guess originally they were all done with a chip swap prior to the SPI so in a way its possible to do both.
I'm using a new genius and supposedly it is covered

Jmac
01-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Yeah Gav i reckon that one will be a serial port jobbie mate.
Jmac

parso_rex
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
After a few beers down at the Quay tonight I've decided its going to be an Ebay build, just for a laugh. With a TFSI I don't think I could get away with it but with this one I reckon it might just work they've been around long enough... meh why not

ordering......
silicone hose kit, in black for stealth everything
Dump-pipe, still undecided which dodgy type
rear muffler, I think it will have to a be name brand for a nice sound. I can't stand crap
K04, a $350 limit here so yep that means Chinese
Exhaust headers/manifold,

investigating....
intake
dump valve
injectors
fuel pump
FMIC

Anything else worth while let me know

:)

parso_rex
02-04-2010, 08:41 AM
On the remap side of things, The more I read into it the more I think this is an ECU out job. I've found my 'genius' doesn't support the 3.8 ME and nor does any other tool I can find out there.
Could be a bit if a PIA. If thats the case I'll get a socket and a couple of chips for future revisions

GoLfMan
04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
i watch with interest :)

budget build ftw!

XXX-1.8T
04-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Good luck with it!

Maybe you should budget a new gearbox as Golf/A3 gearboxes become weak after chipping etc.

When mine blew i put in an LSD which is needed being FWD and all.

I miss my A3 it was a great fun little car!

parso_rex
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Good luck with it!

Maybe you should budget a new gearbox as Golf/A3 gearboxes become weak after chipping etc.

When mine blew i put in an LSD which is needed being FWD and all.

I miss my A3 it was a great fun little car!

Damn, I hadn't even considered that issue. I'm thinking at this stage the maximum will be just a K04 (clone) bigger injectors exhaust and remap maybe It will last, I've always been mechanically sympathetic toward my drivetrains.
I don't intend keeping the car too long, certainly its great to have while I"m selling my STI and also good to have as a loan car if need be. The idea is this car will let me get across a few things that I need to learn with regards to tuning them (1.8T's). After this I move on to the TFSI's. I'm still undecided about an S3 or an R so this one gives me some time to think about it. I drove a few of these years ago at a couple of Audi drive days and they were pretty good, S3's were a lot better of course.

It looks like there are a few variants of the ECU used in these too. Both PSOP 44pin and the PLCC 44 pin. So theres 3 physically different ECUs used all up, thats ignoring the various ones of each type.
I wish it was just ME7, it would be so much easier.

h100vw
04-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I had 165KWatw of my A3 with the JBS04 fitted. I was running a solid flywheel and clutch to suit. It was far from a handful to drive with 225 tyres on 16 inch TT rims. I am not convinced that an LSD is a must have??

Gavin

XXX-1.8T
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Im not saying that an LSD is a must have but the gearboxes crap themselves after being chipped. There are 10 people that i know on vww and vortex who have had chipped 1.8T's in either Golf, A3's or TT fwd's. Just be wary of the gearbox/CV's and you should be fine.

parso_rex
04-04-2010, 10:52 PM
did the other ones die after the fitment of the LSD or it didn't matter. I really thought being FWD you have a bit of a fuse so to speak with the front tyres breaking traction before damage occurs, obviously its not the case

parso_rex
04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
OK the early 97/98 A3 1.8Ts have the Bosch Motronic 3.82 ECU's with DIL 40 or PLCC 44 pin Eproms/eeproms, these have a socket

The later A3 1.8T's have a Bosch Motronic 3.83 ECU with a PSOP 44 pin eeprom. (29F200 2Mbit)
Its seems that I have one of these suckers. Its the hardest of the lot - Tops !!!!!!!

The last A3's had the Bosch ME7 ECU

XXX-1.8T
05-04-2010, 01:46 AM
did the other ones die after the fitment of the LSD or it didn't matter. I really thought being FWD you have a bit of a fuse so to speak with the front tyres breaking traction before damage occurs, obviously its not the case

No all these gearboxes are original oem gearboxes. People fitted LSD's after they blew while the gearboxes were apart getting repaired.

I bought my 99 A3 Turbo with 20,000kms got it worked with various mods at around 35,000kms and gearbox blew at 95,000kms. A lot of the other guys had similar stories to me.

But yeah I was like you that with wheel spin it shouldnt put too much strain on them but it did.

Maybe start a poll in the Mk4 forum if you are really worried.

h100vw
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Was it the diff rivets that gave up?

Gavin

parso_rex
05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I ordered the PLCC and PSOP adaptors for my programmer this morning. I need these for other cars so why the hell not.

I'm Trying to find a dump pipe at the moment for a reasonable outlay. There are the name brands but postage to Aus is a killer I'm still waiting on some suppliers though. I would prefer Milltek or similar. The other option is to use one of the catless Ebay dumps and then add the cat in later I can pick one of these up very cheap
http://storage.supremeauction.com/flash/ebay2/14/99/77/14997765/19151862v.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/04/D_V_V-2.jpg..... less than $240 delivered
I have a couple of highflow metal cats spare that would be overkill for this. I just have to weld one on if there is sufficient clearance

schwartza3
08-04-2010, 12:16 AM
i'm looking at upgrading my down pipe to 3", let us know if you have issues with clearance, apparently lhd are little different to rhd because of the brake booster, unless these are from uk?

parso_rex
08-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Will do, I'm almost excpecting problems with this one however there are some vendors in the UK selling this one so fingers crossed. The worst case scenario is that it gets used as a template for something else
I've sort of moved the rest of the thread over here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/showthread.php?43240-A3-1.8T-makeover....)
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/showthread.php?43240-A3-1.8T-makeover into the projects section where it probably belongs even though its not a full on project like most of them