PDA

View Full Version : New Amarok Suspension Setup

gavs
25-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

At work we're trying to nut out the new Amarok suspension setup and we are having some issues in regards to development of the front strut. As you can see in the following image, the front strut clevice has the drive shaft passing straight through it. Does anyone know if this setup is off any other VAG vehicles? PM me if you have any info......

Unfortunately we're flying blind at the minute because our Amarok won't arrive off the boat until june or july, untill then we are relying on our associates snapping photos whenever they can.

Thanks in advance,
Gav

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/Clevismountingjointatthelowerendstr-1.jpg

Here's a few more shots of the suspension...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/Fronthadtwinshocks-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/IMG_4083-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/IMG_4086-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/Twinrearshockswithremotecanisters-1.jpg

And of the mighty twin turbo diesel....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/Plentyofpokefromthetwinturbodiesel-1.jpg

phaeton
25-03-2010, 07:13 PM
So this is the Dakar Amarok??? like in your other thread http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=42730

Interesting design thats for sure :eek:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Dakar Amaroks were modified for the Rally (as stated in 4x4 Australia mag) perhaps this setup is not standard ???

gavs
25-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah, you are right but the basic single front stut with split clevice and single forward facing rear strut is still the standard setup. THe front and rear anti roll bars have also been removed in the Dakar Amaroks for extra wheel articulation, generally another reason to run a twin shock setup also.

So nobody knows of any other VAG vehicles with the split clevice front strut??

Transporter
29-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Touareg Left front, let me know if you need a better/different shot.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_std7SMZaoXg/S7BIUnBesPI/AAAAAAAAAzs/WVQ_AkUWO-w/s800/TregFrontStrut.JPG

Picture taken from the front of the vehicle

gavs
30-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Mate, that's awesome, it has relieved alot of headaches for us!

If possible, could you please take a photo of where the body of the strut joins the clevis? Is it welded together or is it in a clamping situation?

Transporter, you're the best!

phaeton
30-03-2010, 05:03 PM
some pics you may be interested in....

http://www.volkswagen.com.ar/media/country/ar/x/models/amorok/highlight.Par.0247.Image.jpg/5l_gde.jpg
http://www.volkswagen.com.ar/media/country/ar/x/models/amorok/highlight.Par.0241.Image.jpg/5i_gde.jpg
http://www.volkswagen.com.ar/media/country/ar/x/models/amorok/highlight.Par.0231.Image.jpg/5d_gde.jpg

Transporter
30-03-2010, 06:03 PM
It is a one piece strut.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_std7SMZaoXg/S7Gvxo5UWKI/AAAAAAAAA0Q/jWceJCCJrjQ/s800/R0020086.JPG http://lh3.ggpht.com/_std7SMZaoXg/S7Gvpnmz6wI/AAAAAAAAA0I/GjsLijZBEWY/s800/R0020084.JPG http://lh4.ggpht.com/_std7SMZaoXg/S7GvtgEsyjI/AAAAAAAAA0M/TuIoXhctcEs/s800/R0020085.JPG

gavs
31-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Awesome, thanks mate.

Time for some Amarok shock development now:banana:

Water Boy
10-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Who do you work for Gav?

gavs
11-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Ah Ha, I was waiting to see who would ask the question ;)

I'll give everyone a hint.....

It's a rather large Australian company that has an interest in products for the 4x4 version of the Amarok..... That involve steel, suspension, canopies....

Water Boy
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Ah Ha, I was waiting to see who would ask the question ;)

I'll give everyone a hint.....

It's a rather large Australian company that has an interest in products for the 4x4 version of the Amarok..... That involve steel, suspension, canopies....

ARB or TJM?

phaeton
13-06-2010, 09:40 AM
ARB its been mentioned in the past somewhere on VWW ;)

gerhard
13-06-2010, 12:47 PM
It's interesting to note the apparent strength of the front end components, and the diff looks massive.

The Dakar front springs also look a trifle :) heavier duty than the ones in the Lab photos....

One would assume (hope) the front struts would be an insert type, otherwise aftermarket replacements would have to include the beefy looking fork as well. Good to see that it might be pretty simple to add a second shock to the front.

Driveshaft angle may limiit the amount of lift possible in the front end.

Hopefully ARB can come up with a good looking snorkel and bullbar, and many Amaroks will be sold if that's the case.

For mine, my mods would probably consist of a 30mm lift front, 50mm lift rear, snorkel, canopy, and possibly an extra fuel capacity :) and of course a towbar.

gavs
15-06-2010, 01:00 PM
ARB or TJM?

Well, TJM are based in QLD and have recently looked at becoming Australia's biggest 4x4 accessory importer, ARB is in Kilsyth, VIC....;-)

ARB its been mentioned in the past somewhere on VWW

It way well have been...... ;-)

It's interesting to note the apparent strength of the front end components, and the diff looks massive.

The Dakar front springs also look a trifle heavier duty than the ones in the Lab photos....

One would assume (hope) the front struts would be an insert type, otherwise aftermarket replacements would have to include the beefy looking fork as well. Good to see that it might be pretty simple to add a second shock to the front.

Driveshaft angle may limiit the amount of lift possible in the front end.

Hopefully ARB can come up with a good looking snorkel and bullbar, and many Amaroks will be sold if that's the case.

For mine, my mods would probably consist of a 30mm lift front, 50mm lift rear, snorkel, canopy, and possibly an extra fuel capacity and of course a towbar.

Safari will look at doing the snorkel, by the look of the engine bay photos we have it wouldn't be difficult. Bullbar wil be difficult for any companies because VW have (stupidly in many opinions) welded the front cross beam to a large bolt-on front section which included front under-body protection and mounting points for other parts.

Suspension will be easy, looking at the figures posted by gerhard will be simple. This is actually a vehicle with good natural ground clearance and the underbody is done very very well, pulling as much stuff up next to the floor pan. Lowering it will be the interesting part...... ;-)

Dual shocks really is a bit over-kill unless doing serious off-road racing, even the production class off-road racers have to run a "standard" designed setup. I believe the OME Nitrocharger sport shocks do pretty well in these circumstances....

Water Boy
15-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Thats why I have seen you out that way in the Mk4.

brodzta_GTI
21-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Im pretty sure touregs have the same front suspenison set up..

brodzta_GTI
22-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Scratch that. Touregs DO have the same front suspension setup. ( checked today )

gavs
23-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Similar, but not the same. We now have components here at work and there are some differences in the setup and design, the Toureg isn't built to withstand the same amount of off-road punishment as the Amarok, hence why the bottom clevis on the struts is a different shape. Other geometry parts are slightly different also so we have had to do an Amarok-only strut.

quozl
23-06-2010, 06:00 PM
gavs if you guys can make it look like this without the emergency lights but with the same lift and wheels then I'm sold, I need something to tow the rally car with anyway.

http://zoosviat.com/vwtopnews/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/vw-amarok-1.jpg

gavs
24-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Ha Ha, mate, that lift height is standard!! The 17" standard wheels on the Highline model (which is what we're getting) are probably going to get a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on it which will bring it up to that height, purely on the increase on the rolling diameter.

When we're done, you will get an approx 30mm lift, not sure if the suspension guys are looking at 50mm lift though, it's a damn high vehicle anyway. Standard, the tailgate open height is 780mm off the ground which is about normal, but the tub is so deep that the top of the tub is half a 508mm higher again!

Trust me, I've got something real good to go on the back of it, keep an eye out at the 4x4 shows this year.... ;-)

quozl
24-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Ha Ha, mate, that lift height is standard!! The 17" standard wheels on the Highline model (which is what we're getting) are probably going to get a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on it which will bring it up to that height, purely on the increase on the rolling diameter.

When we're done, you will get an approx 30mm lift, not sure if the suspension guys are looking at 50mm lift though, it's a damn high vehicle anyway. Standard, the tailgate open height is 780mm off the ground which is about normal, but the tub is so deep that the top of the tub is half a 508mm higher again!

Trust me, I've got something real good to go on the back of it, keep an eye out at the 4x4 shows this year.... ;-)

Let me know when the Brisbane show is on would like to come and have a look at what you are planning for it.

Cheers Al

Gazzaco
24-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey guys.. every one is on about the 4wd's, but what about us city tradies? What will the suspension setup be like, and will it be able to be lowered (for ease of loading mostly) and have an alloy tray put on ??
Gaz.

brodzta_GTI
24-06-2010, 08:54 PM
the front strut clevice has the drive shaft passing straight through it. Does anyone know if this setup is off any other VAG vehicles?

sorry mate, it was just the way you worded your first question. your right that the bottom of the strut is different. but on face value looking at the pictures youve so kindly posted and what i know of the toureg frontend setup, they look one and the same.

you havent happened to hear if they're offering a airbag system at all ( similar to the R50 ).

The closest ive come to knowing a small part about the amarok is looking at the pictures on the parts catalouge

gavs
25-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Let me know when the Brisbane show is on would like to come and have a look at what you are planning for it.

Unfortunately this product I am talking about won't be available for brizzy, it will debut at the Sydney show, hopefully.... Amarok specific parts won't be at any shows untill they come around next year, the vehicle will go on sale here in australia week 48.

Hey guys.. every one is on about the 4wd's, but what about us city tradies? What will the suspension setup be like, and will it be able to be lowered (for ease of loading mostly) and have an alloy tray put on ??
Gaz.

Gaz, it comes with the option of either standard or heavy duty rear leafs in the back, the front will remain the same. It is just a bolt on tub so if you want to, you could fit an alloy tray rather easily, just like a hilux or Navara. Lowering will be difficult because of the front stut design, but only on the 4motion and 4x4 model, the 2wd model will be able to be lowered more easily. Te problem is that if you lower the vehicle, not only does it have to comply to the road rules, you can also destroy the calibration of the ESC. Not only that, but you will drastically reduce your load carrying capacity.

The load height of the tray is quite standard at 780mm, only the top of the tub is quite high.

sorry mate, it was just the way you worded your first question. your right that the bottom of the strut is different. but on face value looking at the pictures youve so kindly posted and what i know of the toureg frontend setup, they look one and the same.

you havent happened to hear if they're offering a airbag system at all ( similar to the R50 ).

The closest ive come to knowing a small part about the amarok is looking at the pictures on the parts catalouge

Yeah mate, that's cool. Initially we were just after any info we could get to see if we could duplicate an existing lower mount clevis, unfortunatley after Transporter posted the pics, we went on a hunt and found that compared to the sturt we have here at wourk, the Toureg was quite a bit different. Airbags won't be offered from the factory as it is a commercial and off-road vehicle. Airbags don't really work off-road unless they are used as a helper setup for carrying big loads.

phaeton
25-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately this product I am talking about won't be available for brizzy, it will debut at the Sydney show, hopefully.... Amarok specific parts won't be at any shows untill they come around next year, the vehicle will go on sale here in australia week 48.

Will this concept be under the VW label or the company you work for ;)

gavs
25-06-2010, 04:44 PM
This will only be available from the company I work for :)

phaeton
25-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Cool :D

Am going to attend AIMS this year specially for the Amarok so to have your company (which I know) to have a special version will be a bonus.

gavs
28-06-2010, 10:25 AM
It won't be at the AIMS unfortunately, we will be debuting the product I am talking about hopefully at the Sydney 4x4 show, because we are not a vehicle manufacturer and VW have gone through a very un-proven company for all their Australian OE accessories, a company that builds water tanks up in queensland and hard tonneau covers that have beatuiful warps and twists in them.

It seems that VW really are budget concious with this vehicle and unfortunately, until I can be proven wrong, this will just cement the quality issues and poor standards that many owners of new VW's on this forum complain about.

It makes me wonder about the off-road credibility they are trying to impose on potential customers..... I am having my doubts....

Transporter
28-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmm... what can I say? For every customer who complain there are many who never had an issue with their VW. Unfortunately, decrease in the quality is in Japanese cars as well. I see many Toyota Prado with the shockers leaking before 60,000km that never left the suburbia. :?

gavs
29-06-2010, 08:12 AM
That is true my friend, very true. Our 3 hiluxs have all been back several times for warranty issues, generally all expensive ones too! Funny how all the issues regarding quality seemingly come from vehicles once they move the factories to Thailand.....

People have to also realise that we get the crap off production lines here in Australia, this is true as it has been spoken to me directly from a horse at Nissan and also one at Toyota. We get all the line setup vehicles, the "not quite there" quality control ones also which is disappointing. With VW, they have targeted Australia directly with this vehicle though so hopefully we won't have to deal with all that sub-standard crap this time. Like I said, by their choice of OE accessory supplier for the Amarok though, it makes me wonder how seriously they are taking this as an off-road vehicle, but, I am hoping to be proven wrong, even though I wish like all hell that these products look hideous and fail abysmally! ;-)

ntboozer
25-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Soooo after cruisin' the Amarok posts and most of the diesel mod post I'm even keener to get one of these as my new diesel toy.
Suspension mods, canopy (or replacement steel tray with cage), chip etc seem to be a given when it hits our shores. Is there any likelyhood of an ARB steel winch bar and brush rails for 'the wolf'? Good to read the positive thoughts on a Safari snorkel. I might have missed it in all the text but is this motor fitted with an intercooler standard? Ah a thousand questions - hopefully the wait be too long.
Cheers
nt

Transporter
26-08-2010, 08:09 AM
To my knowledge, all VW diesel made these days have an intercooler.
I can't wait for it either, hopefully there will be supplier for the off road accessories.

barefoot
27-08-2010, 09:16 PM
FWIW, here are the Touareg's setup. I think it's very similar.
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9628/dscf0006r.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6233/dscf0007f.jpg

Transporter
28-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeap, of the Touareg that is properly used. :)

barefoot
28-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, its full functions are used regularly:

I drop the kids off, safe, nice, comfortable car, good for sitting in traffic;
Depending on projects, I regularly take it on civil construction sites, vacant land, etc, good competent (I'd say, idiot proofed 4WD capability), versatile car that saves me from walking through mud getting to site sheds etc.. It's been driven accross snake infested ex-pineapple farms with planting rows of half a metre, through fields with 2m high grass etc., just flawless.;
Weekends, takes me to isolated mountain tracks and surf beaches; &
All in an economical, reliable package (now getting close to 190k on the clock).

I couldn't have come up with a better car if I tried, except air-suspension would be nice, though the economical & reliable part might be compromised :-).

Unfortunately, not sure if VW pay much attention to people like myself in their marketing or product development.
Cheers