PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Shift

Sam O'Neill
18-03-2007, 10:31 PM
hi all

i have a mk2 GTi and am having a few problems with the gear shift. The gear stick is really sloppy and sometimes wont go into gear properly. For example often when changing from 5th to 4th or 3rd to 2nd it doesnt grab the gear and makes a crunching noise. I have replaced the bushes on the gear linkages but this hasn't helped. Any ideas on how to 'firm up' the throw?

h100vw
18-03-2007, 10:36 PM
What bushings have you changed?

Have a look for dieselgeek they have a great product for mk2s that makes a load of difference.

The crunchy second gear is likely to be the syncro gone. Fully synthetic gear oil helps a lot without changing the box out.
Gavin

ausgolfer
18-03-2007, 11:33 PM
also you might need a new ball and cup which encorporates the actual gear stick, pain of a job that I haven't gotten around to doing myself.

86gti
19-03-2007, 07:42 PM
sounds like the syncros to me.
mine grinds a bit going into second....but only when its cold.

Sam O'Neill
21-03-2007, 06:02 PM
What bushings have you changed?

Have a look for dieselgeek they have a great product for mk2s that makes a load of difference.

The crunchy second gear is likely to be the syncro gone. Fully synthetic gear oil helps a lot without changing the box out.
Gavin

i looked on diesel geek website and i cant find this product. all i can find is short shift kits. what is the product called?

h100vw
21-03-2007, 06:07 PM
dude sorry mate, I found a link I emailed to someone last year and the page has gone. All it was, was a square block of nylon with a hole drilled in it. On the car you have a round bit that falls to bits over time.

Maybe an email to dieselgeek would get you one?

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=284

this was the link.

Gavin

h100vw
21-03-2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=8v&model=Golf%20II&submodel=&category=Drivetrain&subcategory=Shifter

All the parts you need are on this link.
Gavin

Sam O'Neill
21-03-2007, 09:43 PM
evorobin reminded me to let you know that the throw is really long particularly into 2nd gear

evorobin
22-03-2007, 09:32 AM
The throw is massive full stop. Having had two 02 boxes it was never that bad tbh.

SOHC
22-03-2007, 12:58 PM
i had similar problem in my Mk3 before...
maybe not the same thing to yours
at some of the times the car just doesn't want to go into gears
went to the mechanics and the previous owner put wrong trans. oil in it
so then we put some valvoline in and it works much better!!