PDA

View Full Version : Diverter Valve

WRXconvert
18-03-2007, 08:51 AM
i want a louder diverter valve.... not obnoxiously loud, just noticable. i see that the forge 007 is probably the best bet. is it as easy as taking the old one off and putting the new one on? and is there a difference in sound? also i have read that if you do replace your diverter, you should reverse it... any ideas on why this is the case? thanks guys

h100vw
18-03-2007, 09:41 AM
The forge barely makes any noise IMO and as for reversing, they don't fit as well and I can't see any benefit from doing this anyway. It might make a difference with the std diaphragm valves but with a piston I doubt it.

Gavin

TassieGTi
18-03-2007, 10:38 AM
As h100vw said, noise is minimal because the 007 is a recirculating valve (dumps charged air back into intake). Fitting is a simple swap for the original BOSH valve. You can fit the new valve either way, but for quieter operation, it is recommended that you install it the same way around as the original. The dump noise you are after will come more from an atmospheric valve.

I fitted a Forge single-piston atmospheric valve (001GTI) on my Mk1 project, but obviously not a factory set-up. It is different from the recirculating valve, as it dumps the charged air into the atmosphere at throttle lift and you get a dump noise. I would not say that it is ‘obnoxiously load’, but a noticeable ‘whoosh’ sound on throttle lift.

Check out the Forge website for suitable applications ;)

www.forgemotorsport.com

h100vw
18-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I forgot to mention, if your car is chipped the extra boost to dump makes a bit of difference to the noise but people won't be turning their heads to look when you drive past.

Atmospheric valves have a reputation for throwing check lights personally I wouldn't bother going down that road.

Gavin

shaneth
18-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Forge The Splitter, a Recirculation and Blow Off Valve (http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=1707&product=FMDVSPLTR)

Wouldnt this be the one your after or is the one your talking about.

h100vw
18-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Please Note: This valve requires installing the opposite way to the original Bosch Valve. i.e. the side pipe is fitted into the Turbo Intake Hose and the base pipe connects to the hose that runs to the boost side of the turbo.

I reckon this is where the constant reference to fitting the DV backwards comes from.

I read the fitting instructions for the TT where it states that fitting the same way as the std valve give a quieter operation..

Having fitted them backwards myself as a trial, I found that they don't fit as nicely.

That hybrid valve is pricey when you consider the exchange rate and shipping, 125 quid is over $300 and then you have to have it shipped too.

I have some alloy ones that look just like a Forge (not that you could make one look very different if you tried) for a lot less than $200.

Gavin

shaneth
18-03-2007, 03:03 PM
What brand are your alloy ones??????

WRXconvert
18-03-2007, 06:39 PM
ok, so it is possible to put a split valve on.. i was looking at the turbosmart kompact series.. $325 or so for one of those is a bit pricey. gavin the alloy ones you talk about, how much are they and where are they manufactured.. and they are a split?

Kai
19-03-2007, 12:02 AM
If anyone does this post details about it in here. :)

Spec83
19-03-2007, 08:01 AM
I have checked out the Turbosmart kompact series dual stage BOV (the one with return and trumpet) and it will fit... You can only install a BOV one way.. usually the bov is hard plumbed into the boost side of the intake piping whereas on our cars there is a hose extension so the BOV can be placed back into the atmospheric side of the turbo due to the placement of the turbo etc etc...

On MAF cars you get a lot of backfiring and cutting out if you install an atmo BOV... the EMS thinks it has heaps of air pumping through it when really this is just going to atmosphere causing the EMS to add fuel for air that isn't there causing stalling and backfiring... with a plumbback valve this portion of air is infinatly cycled through the intake piping meaning no more air can enter untill the throttle body is opened again... Next time you are near a skyline et al listen to a bakcfire on gearchange - this is the effect of atmo BOV on MAF sensored cars... MAP don't suffer this problem as they meter their air at or after the throttle body...

Really.... $325 is a bit excessive for a wankey noise anyway... The stock BOSCH valve is more than capable..

fuzion
19-03-2007, 09:27 AM
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/images/products/FMDVSPLTR.jpg

Forge also have one now as well!

otherwise Go Fast Bits Hybrid you can get for noise, or Stealth FX

brumue
19-03-2007, 10:21 AM
anyone know what the forge units go for?

fuzion
19-03-2007, 06:17 PM
awaiting pricing and will let you guys know asap

h100vw
19-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Nice reply spec83, I reckon that should put most folk off wasting money.
Gavin

shaneth
19-03-2007, 08:32 PM
The stock BOSCH valve is more than capable..

From what i have heard and read if you chip the Polo the stock DV wont last the tests of time and that it would be a good idea to change it.

h100vw
19-03-2007, 08:35 PM
They don't last forever but it is time more than boost that causes std DVs to fail. Often they have gone and you wouldn't know without looking.
Gavin

shaneth
19-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Ive never had one fail on me but surely you would be able to tell something with how the car reacts. And maybe some of these good beople just wanna hear a sound from it.

h100vw
19-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I reckon that it would get laggy during gearchanges, if the boost isn't released the turbo would start stalling. I don't recall seeing any codes getting thrown on cars I found with bad ones.

Gavin

shaneth
19-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Often they have gone and you wouldn't know without looking. Gavin

I reckon that it would get laggy during gearchanges, if the boost isn't released the turbo would start stalling. Gavin

So you are saying you would notice??? I thought you would and not only would it get laggy but it wouldnt do your turbo any good not having anywhere for the pressure to be released to. Gavin are you a mechanic.

h100vw
19-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Yeah it looks a bit contradictory now I read it again but I doubt 'man on the street' would recognise that the car was different. I have taken a few duffers apart and the diaphragm was only partially split. So I guess that the DV would fail over time and get progressively worse. The check light hasn't come on when I have found bad DVs.

It is bad for the turbo but if the car was still having dealer services they should catch the fact it has gone during a roadtest. I think it would take some rough treatment over a period of time for cause significant damage.

I am an Avionics Engineer for a day job but I am pretty well read on VWs in general as I run an A3 turbo with FMIC, 3 inch turbo back system. I have an 04 turbo and ancilliaries in the garage awaiting a few free days.

Gavin

shaneth
19-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Thats cool just thought i would clarify. :D

Spec83
20-03-2007, 07:45 AM
I have had a little bit of experience with BOSCH valves runinng on 180's with upto 18psi... Never seen any problems. They are designed for a stock application but are farily well built (just because they are not shiny Aluminium doesn't mean they are poo) and as long as they are used within those limits you should have trouble free motoring... As Gavin said a lot of the time the diaphram splits or seat wears causing leakage... Mots of the time you will notice if your BOV has gone as it will start to leak boost causing preformance loss...

If it does seal shut - it will start to get laggy as the air returning from the throttle body will cause the exhaust wheel to spin in the reverse direction which is definatly not good. Also notice some cars that sort of pulse with BOV discharge - this is due to compressor surging and is also not good. If you have this sounds look at it asap...

The reson most change BOV is becuase the stock spring preload can no longer hold the diaphram shut under load and the BOV is forced open under the boost pressure in the piping - but i think we are talking upwards big boost here :)

Don't get me wrong if you want the sound then its not a waste of money... to me it is thou... but if you get one make sure it is a dual stage with plumb back and trumpet... Took me ages to find that problem on a 180 when it kept stalling at the lights.... I used to have to sit @ 2000rpm... everyone thought I was up for a TGP :P

Guy_H
20-03-2007, 08:21 AM
We use the stock Bosch one on our Polo GTI (~18PSI) and its as new after 13,000km's

On our TT we run ~26 - 28 PSI and a stock new Bosch DV, 10,000km's + still like new. The action of the diaphram types is quicker, even if they are not as bulletproof as an alloy unit! :)

fuzion
20-03-2007, 02:23 PM
funnily enough ive had 2 go on me .. strangely enough!

as mentioned, stock is best but lasting it all depends i guess. doesnt hold driveshafts together tho ;)

Kai
24-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Well.....

I thought id get one and try it too see what happens.

It works well. Makes a not so loud noise. But does make a noise. Which is what i was after. For anyone thats wants to pay for one. 309 is how much they are. I may or may not have payed. j:

If i ever get sick of it. I can just chuck the old one straight back on. Or turn this to plumback only.

Pics will take forever to load on 64k

http://images.cainer.net//uploads/Picture204.jpg
http://images.cainer.net//uploads/Picture001.jpg

mitch_gti
25-03-2007, 05:56 PM
My brother is pestering me to buy one of these turbosmart thingies.

because my forge 007 whatever doesnt make anymore noise than standard.

With the turbosmart, what kind of a noise does it make, does it give a little flutter? or is it just the normal pshhh?

Kai
25-03-2007, 07:37 PM
it gives more of a ccccht noise. Not a pssscht noise.

I wouldnt really recommend it for the wank factor. But mine on the lowest setting.

fuzion
28-03-2007, 09:09 PM
plus the more boost you run, louder it'll be ..

the gfb ones are slightly louder (the normal plum back) compared to the 007.

the new forge dv-bov's are about $300-350 tho, cheaeper then the gfb stealth fx at $450+!

Flaps
28-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Judging from the first pic Kai, it mon't make much noise because it's venting straight under the engine cover.

Atleast the plugs are staying awake.

Kai
31-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Judging from the first pic Kai, it mon't make much noise because it's venting straight under the engine cover.

Atleast the plugs are staying awake.

That was just to show it can easily be hidden ;)