PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 97 GL 2.0l any probs to look out for

courtz1976-2dr
17-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi there All,

I am looking at a 97 Golf GL 2.0 with 220k on the clock for $5900 are there any things that I should be aware of that may be a pain to fix.

Also - I have a 76 golf that goes pretty darn hard (weber carby. flat top pistons, mild cam blah) what are these like (97 GL) when driven hard (my usual driving style) the 76 laps up all I throw at it.

Cheers,
Courtney.

Golf Loon
17-03-2007, 06:06 PM
You can drive em hard and wont break the engine, but it wont go as fast as your Mk1, or be as much fun. They feel heavy and slow in comparison.

On the plus side they have heaters and ac that work, power steer.

Check electric windows work and the abs if fitted.

h100vw
17-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Front wishbone rear bushes are crap as are the rear axle bushes. Other than that they last well, the 2 litre doesn't rev well with the longer stroke but it's a flexible motor though.

Gavin

william
17-03-2007, 08:11 PM
ignition coils check when changed last they are good for 50000ks.
check cam belt for wear should be done every four years or 90000ks.
check control arm bushes vehicle will pull one way on acceleration if gone
tyre wear will indicate if wheel bearings are gone thats all i can suggest other than
they are bullet proof.

courtz1976-2dr
17-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks Golf Loon

[QUOTE=Golf Loon;40694]You can drive em hard and wont break the engine, but it wont go as fast as your Mk1, or be as much fun. They feel heavy and slow in comparison.
QUOTE]

What can be done about this, does the engine lend itself to mods to improve performance, headers, cams, chips etc. I am pretty sure they can be turboed??? I wil have a look in the performance section. Also but open to suggestions.

I like the responsiveness of the mk1 - but is looking tired and needs TLC I dont have time for + is not very presentable for work....

Let me know what you guys think...

Cheers again and thanks to all who responded.

evorobin
18-03-2007, 12:07 AM
You're on the right track tuning n/a only works in light cars (at this level) you need Forced induction for torque!

SOHC
18-03-2007, 01:53 AM
its tough car...
just heard that the ignition coils can be cooked by the engine heat...if they got the plastic mounting??:?

deemoE36
18-03-2007, 12:35 PM
i got one myself, with 115K now, and i can tell u that after zipping around in ur mk1, when u jump in ur GL, ull demand more power,

like Matt said, it feels heavy, it does pull up high, but doesnt like to go to close to red line
if u have room for a project car, just get an mk1 and drop GL engine in it, thatll get u moving :)

courtz1976-2dr
18-03-2007, 06:51 PM
OK looks like I will be the proud owner of a newish 97 GL, now hopefully someone can shed some light as to the engine type that will be in it - the car is already upgraded in my head before getting it!!!

So I have heard mention of crossflow and also "standard" type heads can anyone point me to where I can find the specs etc of the engine fitted to this year model - solid lifters. hydraulic etc I know the Gti is hydro but as much info would be appreciated.

Hmmm add the GL to the 92 (90) Gti mk2 (which I really wasn't all that impressed with the performance of) the 76 2dr, the 1978 4dr and the 1980 4dr I have here. :)

So back to the GL - quickest easiest mod (I have totally rebuilt mk1 engines before) that I can do - cam/chip combo - exhaust whats gonna give most bang for the buck. I have also read something on the ebay cheapie chips being OK. So all you mk3 2.0l owners gimme the lowdown.

Cheers and Regards,

Courtz

bombsquad21
18-03-2007, 07:55 PM
How many k's on the car? Love the 97 2.0! Cruise control, rear headrests, roof mounted aerial are all handy improvements over earlier GL's. Car is slow from a stand still, 3rd gear 80-140 for overtaking is the sweet spot. Enjoy the car...post some pics!

courtz1976-2dr
18-03-2007, 08:03 PM
How many k's on the car? Love the 97 2.0! Cruise control, rear headrests, roof mounted aerial are all handy improvements over earlier GL's. Car is slow from a stand still, 3rd gear 80-140 for overtaking is the sweet spot. Enjoy the car...post some pics!

Hmmm 80-140 in 3rd!!!! not bad, not bad :)

One pic so far - looks very nice

Cheers guys.

MattyT
18-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Looks nice, congrats on the purchase!

Golf Loon
18-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Hydraulic Lifters, Not Crossflow Head.

Cam and Chip. Best Bang for Buck.

H100VW should have some idea about a cheap chip upgrade :)

deemoE36
18-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Hmmm 80-140 in 3rd!!!! not bad, not bad :)

One pic so far - looks very nice

Cheers guys.

looks good, identical to mine when i just bought it :)

enjoy!

courtz1976-2dr
19-03-2007, 12:29 AM
looks good, identical to mine when i just bought it :)

enjoy!

I saw in another thread that you were talking about turboing your mk3 - any luck or is there some other mods that you have done that have bettered the performance - I also see mention of toyota superchargers hmmmm sounds interesting.

Also the ebay "cheapie chip" I see that some have done this.

Suggestions on cam + chip combos where, how much and what sort of gains.

I am just going on how the GTI mk2 performs - basically stock standard but with a K&N pod filter - changes the sound but what about hp gains???

The Gti also is sloppy down low the best pickup is around 4500 to 5600 and seems to level at 5800. I am pretty sure that they are close to the same weight so an extra 200cc must make a little difference???

Golf Loon
19-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Mk3 is a few 100 kgs heavier than a Mk2 ;)

courtz1976-2dr
19-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Mk3 is a few 100 kgs heavier than a Mk2 ;)

I was recently stripping down my mk1 and the rubber matting on the firewall - it is like a latex foam - and the floor would have been nearly 20kg worth.

I am in the process of putting it back together after tidying up some surfacy rust - any "easy" way of getting that black moulded sticky black panel crap off the floor pans and surrounding areas - the rear one came up easily exposing some very mild surface rust - so me thinks (stupidly) that there may be more elsewhere.

So both back ones are done only to find that absolutely no rust is drivers side front and rear and none on passenger front ARRHHHHGGGGUU wel so far anyway.

deemoE36
19-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I saw in another thread that you were talking about turboing your mk3 - any luck or is there some other mods that you have done that have bettered the performance - I also see mention of toyota superchargers hmmmm sounds interesting.

Also the ebay "cheapie chip" I see that some have done this.

Suggestions on cam + chip combos where, how much and what sort of gains.

I am just going on how the GTI mk2 performs - basically stock standard but with a K&N pod filter - changes the sound but what about hp gains???

The Gti also is sloppy down low the best pickup is around 4500 to 5600 and seems to level at 5800. I am pretty sure that they are close to the same weight so an extra 200cc must make a little difference???

i searched for some info in local turbo place, tuning houses and places like that, basically, there is no performance kit to buy for it, custom job would cost about $6K, thats full install and custom made pieces to fit, u drive in and 6 big ones later u got it all, intercooled

there is a kit in usa, but it doesnt fit, cus theyr got cross flow head, if you find a inlet and turbo manifold to suit your head other pieces of the kit might fit but thats too much try and error for my liking

supercharging is interesting, cheaper option as well but not much info on that topic tho
by my own observation of the engine bay, i came to the conclusion that it would be a bit unco to stuff the charger in under the bonnet, accommodating the belt, air in and out pipes....just not enough room
it the belts were on the oter side of the engine, gearbox side, plenty of room there

all i have done was exhaust, k&n filter, some port and polish of intake and exhaust manifolds (did it myself, was surprised when i noticed some difference that it made in 2 hours work!)

courtz1976-2dr
20-03-2007, 07:31 PM
i searched for some info in local turbo place, tuning houses and places like that, basically, there is no performance kit to buy for it, custom job would cost about $6K, thats full install and custom made pieces to fit, u drive in and 6 big ones later u got it all, intercooled

Hmmm a little too much for my liking.

there is a kit in usa, but it doesnt fit, cus theyr got cross flow head, if you find a inlet and turbo manifold to suit your head other pieces of the kit might fit but thats too much try and error for my liking

Yeah thats what I have seen the Kinetics motorsport, which is essentially a garret turbo (honeywell!!! they make keyboards for computers!!!!) custom manifolds and a few attachments for oil lines (comes off one of the sender units and u need to drill and weld the sump of use the sump supplied with the kit) and some "air plumbing" but no custom intake by the looks. A chip etc.

My main concern is that a crossflow head would have to breathe a lot better and the head in the GL would be a bit restrictive unless ported etc. + cams and valves.

Basically all that a turbo does is force more air - I really cant see too much involved with making say a custom extractor that would fit the head and turbo hanging off in the right spot - oil lines are really not too much of a hassle. then run the piping. $6k sounds a bit rich for this

supercharging is interesting, cheaper option as well but not much info on that topic tho
by my own observation of the engine bay, i came to the conclusion that it would be a bit unco to stuff the charger in under the bonnet, accommodating the belt, air in and out pipes....just not enough room
it the belts were on the oter side of the engine, gearbox side, plenty of room there

What about that little green beast thats in the for sale section - supercharged that!!!!

all i have done was exhaust, k&n filter, some port and polish of intake and exhaust manifolds (did it myself, was surprised when i noticed some difference that it made in 2 hours work!)

Do you know anyone that has done more simple bolt on mods, I cant have the car off the road for too long at any one time (ie a weekend)

deemoE36
20-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Do you know anyone that has done more simple bolt on mods, I cant have the car off the road for too long at any one time (ie a weekend)

not really, no

what he meant with $6K is u drive it in, they do ur ecu, turbo, intercooler
and why it is so expensive is because most of the things are custom made

i was seriously thinking about fitting one myself, manifold can be found, T3/4 turbo would be good size, intake piping can be found
few things that put me off, downpipe, exhaust, ecu, oil lines, dropping the compression of the engine, possibly intercooling...thats what i can remember right now
wouldnt be a walk in the park, but i dont think thats impossible aether, if u got a car to drive round while ur fitting it, and facilities to accommodate stationary car, its very possible...i got none of those so that put me off as well