PDA

View Full Version : Rust in my MK1 2dr

courtz1976-2dr
17-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi there all

I am trying to do some rust work and am after some advice - I have a bit in the back section (bottom of hatch near spare wheel). I have attached some photos here of what it looked like before a gave it a quick hit with a wire brush grinder attachment. what do you think my best approach would be

brackie
17-03-2007, 04:40 PM
The only way to fix it for good is to cut out the whole section and weld in new metal. All other rust repairs get rid of the rust but weaken the structure to a greater or lesser extent. Of the alternatives fibre glass is probably the strongest.

courtz1976-2dr
17-03-2007, 05:04 PM
The only way to fix it for good is to cut out the whole section and weld in new metal. All other rust repairs get rid of the rust but weaken the structure to a greater or lesser extent. Of the alternatives fibre glass is probably the strongest.

Hmmm that was my thoughts also, apart from this in the rear the car is rust free - I wanted to restore the little beasty but it is a time consuming task - I see that there are a few interested in ol mk1s and being a 2-door and I heard mention of a "swallowtail" being rare it may cause some interest.

Also that section is in a bad spot to get to, can it be cut away safely. Is there any aftermarket panels ie to do the whole section???

Cheers and regards,
Courtney

Golf Loon
17-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I`d hit it with a grinder, then antirust then hammerite.
Doesnt look to bad. Straight 2 doors are getting hard to find.

Bluerex
31-03-2007, 07:24 PM
I can't tell from the photos if it is right through the metal or not. If not then just look at some POR15 (http://www.ppc.au.com/). If that really is the only rust you have to deal with you are laughing. Do me a favor... pull up the carpets in the foot wells, jab the insides of the wheel arches with a screwdriver, THEN let us know how much rust you have found:):)

C

gldgti
02-04-2007, 10:29 PM
i'd say for that part of the car, structural integritiy is not really important - its just to stop your groceriesfalling through the floor really, and gives you somewhere to put the spare.... i'd clean it up and paint it.