PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Lamps - How much?

dilbert_rocks
16-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I keep forgetting to check in one of the random Auto parts stores, or with the VW parts store (and they're not open when I'm online at night and remembering about it) - so: does anyone know the approx cost of Xenon lamps? I have looked at a few websites and from what I can gather, the lamps would cost about $100 each to replace (ouch! :o ) - irrespective of their temperature / colour?

I am assuming that with the Bi-Xenon's, there are two seperate lamps per headlight assembly, rather than HI-LO in the one lamp? And I presume that they are industry standard, rather than VW specials?

ScienceVR6
18-03-2007, 06:28 PM
i work for autobarn, and my mate just bought xenon for his hyundai excel in a H4 for $490. RRP is $600 for GE Xenon.
When funds permit, i will also fit Xenon.
As for being Hi/Lo, they will mimic whateva your current globe is. If you have H4, it will be Hi/Lo, if you have H1-H1 (a h1 hi, and a H1 lo) you will only have Xenon in your low beam. t get it in high beam, you will need to by a second kit.
What model car do you have, and if you know, what globes does it have? I can check out some prices when im at work next (wednesday) then PM you

dilbert_rocks
18-03-2007, 10:28 PM
What model car do you have, and if you know, what globes does it have? I can check out some prices when im at work next (wednesday) then PM you

Cheers! I haven't placed an order yet. Am deciding how to spend the $$$ on options for a Jetta (they are Bi-Xenon). Is that similar to the GTi? But besides the $1890 up-front cost (list price), for the Bi-Xenon's, I'm wondering how much the lamps are going to cost me to replace down the track.

I don't know any other details as yet sorry, but perhaps someone else might?

ScienceVR6
20-03-2007, 02:31 PM
For most people, Xenon globes last the life of the car, Around 5000 hours.
Most people will never replace the globes while they own the car.

dilbert_rocks
22-03-2007, 08:52 PM
For the record, the Jetta Xenons use H7 lamps

DaveMack
03-04-2007, 01:08 AM
I keep forgetting to check in one of the random Auto parts stores, or with the VW parts store (and they're not open when I'm online at night and remembering about it) - so: does anyone know the approx cost of Xenon lamps? I have looked at a few websites and from what I can gather, the lamps would cost about $100 each to replace (ouch! :o ) - irrespective of their temperature / colour?

I am assuming that with the Bi-Xenon's, there are two seperate lamps per headlight assembly, rather than HI-LO in the one lamp? And I presume that they are industry standard, rather than VW specials?

Two ways to go - actual lamps (bulbs) to replace the existing ones in same mounting (I picked up 4 (including Hi/Lo) for $100 all up. Second is the whole Xenon assembly ... very expensive (if you can find them ... some UK places claim to have them ... but I've also heard that Polo ones of thes have not been made)).

Place I got the bulbs in QLD was GESCO in Archerfield. Parts number for Hella Xenon bulbs you'll need are:

for the H7 - 06 CAX1255BL2
for the H1 - 06 CX1255BL2

They claim to be 50% brighter ... but I haven't done much night driving out of the city so I can't really say. I do feel they are brighter ... but 50% ???? Just don't know.

Hope that helps.

BlackVr6ix
03-04-2007, 08:38 AM
i work for autobarn, and my mate just bought xenon for his hyundai excel in a H4 for $490. RRP is $600 for GE Xenon.
When funds permit, i will also fit Xenon.
As for being Hi/Lo, they will mimic whateva your current globe is. If you have H4, it will be Hi/Lo, if you have H1-H1 (a h1 hi, and a H1 lo) you will only have Xenon in your low beam. t get it in high beam, you will need to by a second kit.

hahaha i work at autobarn too, anyway basically im just starting to see bmw's and merc's from ~10 years ago coming in to replace their xenons. so the life of them is pretty good.

H1-H3-H4lo-H7 are all ~$499rrp and bi-xenon H4 are ~$599rrp (Ultra not GE as far as i know)

dilbert_rocks
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Place I got the bulbs in QLD was GESCO in Archerfield. Parts number for Hella Xenon bulbs you'll need are:

for the H7 - 06 CAX1255BL2
for the H1 - 06 CX1255BL2

hahaha i work at autobarn too...
H1-H3-H4lo-H7 are all ~$499rrp and bi-xenon H4 are ~$599rrp (Ultra not GE as far as i know)

Decided to go with the Bi-Xenon's in the Jetta. Now will start saving the pennies for the lamps! Thanx

BlackVr6ix
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
thats a whole kit price.

dilbert_rocks
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
thats a whole kit price.

Phew! j: I was pretty certain that's what u intended.

I'm guessing that the kit doesn't come with a cleaning mechanism for Lo beam as per ADR? I think there is another thread somewhere that talks about what is legal to retrofit in Oz.

fuzion
04-04-2007, 10:06 PM
i can pass on my discounts if anybodies interested, iso approved kits and are extremely good quality (have used a few now) around the $300 mark for any h1/h3/h7/h4 etc, hi/low kits i cant remember. :idea:

BlackVr6ix
05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Phew! j: I was pretty certain that's what u intended.

I'm guessing that the kit doesn't come with a cleaning mechanism for Lo beam as per ADR? I think there is another thread somewhere that talks about what is legal to retrofit in Oz.

No it doesnt, but i dont think i've EVER seen a retrofit with the washers on it unless it was a standard fit to the car (i.e saab)

fuzion
05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
problem with adr rules theres loop holes everywhere and no definate answers on anything if you query things.

stuff is TUV approved and superceeds australian standards yet ADR / RTA has problems with that? its freakin stupid

BlackVr6ix
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I was under the impression that the cleaner thing was more for countrys with snow? the more important thing i think for hid's is the self leveling system.....

qsilverza
02-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I was under the impression that HID/Xenon bulb's required a high levels of voltage and special regulators. So I always thought that you had to replace the entire assembly of the lighting system.

I didn't think it was possible to just replace the bulb's ?

Thanks.

ScienceVR6
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I was under the impression that HID/Xenon bulb's required a high levels of voltage and special regulators. So I always thought that you had to replace the entire assembly of the lighting system.

I didn't think it was possible to just replace the bulb's ?

Thanks.
you are right. anyone selling just bulbs that claim to be xenon are lying. Xenon requires a ballast (choke) to ignight the gas in the bulb to start the reaction. once started, they run the same current and voltage as a normal globe.

qsilverza
02-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Do you know much about the color temp's and as to which one gives the best all round light for driving ?

ScienceVR6
02-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Do you know much about the color temp's and as to which one gives the best all round light for driving ?
the lower temps are accualy better for vision. these may not be as blue as some people like, but offer the best projection and clearity

qsilverza
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
So how low are we talking ? 4300 K ? 6000 K?

ScienceVR6
02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
4300k is white, 6000k is very blue. the lower the k the less blue the light will be, if you can get a good balance between yellow (stock), white and blue, then you will have a very good light.

In fact, the stock yellow globes (halogen) are often better than the white globes, as far as projection. the xenon will out project the yellow globes, and if you stick to the lower end of the availible temps, you will have very good light.

syncro
03-06-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm guessing that the kit doesn't come with a cleaning mechanism for Lo beam as per ADR?

I've never heard that one! Audi TTs don't have it.

fuzion
04-06-2007, 04:55 PM
its apparently so when it snows or mist is on the glass it doesnt glare. but doesnt more water make it glare more? wtf lol

anyone after a kit let me know :)

origin
14-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys,

Yes I have installed on my Passat wagon 06 for low beam..
Cause high beam is a waste of money for me... I never use highbeam while I am driving so safe me $$$.

So Far I am happy with the services. I bought about 5 xenon kits from this
guys for my cars.. different cars.toyota, honda, vw, audi hehehehe

It has cost me $200 with delivery for my Passat 06 low beam H7 6000k..cause I read for
better vision use 6k or less.

If anyone interested his name Eddie lok his email : aeinternationaltrading@gmail.com

He is base in Melb..

Tell him I sent you. :D but no discount:???:

cheers

origin

syncro
14-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Guys,

Yes I have installed on my Passat wagon 06 for low beam..
Cause high beam is a waste of money for me... I never use highbeam while I am driving so safe me $$$.

You can't have it on high beam anyway.

origin
14-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi Phil,

Do you know the reason why ? please share it..You couldnot have it on high beam..:?

Thanks for your input.:D

Cheers
origin

syncro
14-06-2007, 03:51 PM
They take a few seconds to turn on as they are a gas discharge globe. That's why the low beam stays on while you are on high beam. Some cars use the same globe and have shutters to change from high to low beam.

origin
15-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi Phil,

Ahhhh another tips or reason for me not to put on high beam.:D

What about the bi-xenon... are they the same problem.:?

Thanks Phil,

origin

syncro
15-06-2007, 10:37 AM
What about the bi-xenon... are they the same problem.:?

WTF is a bi-xenon :?
Sounds kinky.
But I've still got valves in my wireless.:)

DaveMack
15-06-2007, 11:05 AM
WTF is a bi-xenon :?
Sounds kinky.
But I've still got valves in my wireless.:)

It's cryptonite, Synchro. Don't have to worry about it unless you're Superman. You're not ... are you?

Dave

syncro
15-06-2007, 12:59 PM
It's cryptonite, Synchro. Don't have to worry about it unless you're Superman. You're not ... are you?

Dave

No, I wear my underwear on the inside of my clothes.:)

origin
15-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi Phil,

I used huggies :o

Dealer asked me if I want to install it.

Bi-Xenon Headlights With Dynamic Cornering Lights $2,290.00

Hi and low bean on HID ...:?

syncro
15-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi Phil,

I used huggies :o

Dealer asked me if I want to install it.

Bi-Xenon Headlights With Dynamic Cornering Lights $2,290.00

Hi and low bean on HID ...:?

How's the cornering work?

origin
20-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi Phil,

I didn't know how good is it ? anyone with this type of headlight? comment please? Sorry Phill...:?

I am not willing to spend that much for headlight so I bought DIY HID only low beam...;)

I spent it on leather seat with heater on it..and parrot LS3200...good value
with Factory NAVI so I can use My Steeringwheel button.

Good on you carkitcompany.....

Cheers
origin