PDA

View Full Version : VR6 Foglights?

pommy_golfer
15-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about VR6 fog lights, i thought the foglights which are part of the indicator cluster came standard on all VR6s? Mine doesnt appear to have any?

I also want to get some crystal clear indicator clusters and dont know where i would get them from.

If there are no fogs on there, how hard is it to put on and what would you do about the switch for the dash?

gpk_gti
15-03-2007, 12:54 PM
these are the ones to get.they are very bright driving lights.most that are sold on ebay and the such are like parking lights,be careful when ordering!
these ones replace the 2 white blanks,you will have to get the blinker seperate.its easier just to order them off the net when you order your driving lights.
check my vpic on user name,theres a couple of photos of them there.
http://www.c3cars.com/parts.cfm?M=1&PMode=I&VIID=6218

pommy_golfer
15-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Cheers mate, I will look into it, will my car have the plugs to go straight to the fogs? how do i turn them on drom the dash?

ScienceVR6
15-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, what and where is the standard front fog light switch?

gpk_gti
15-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I had them wired to the parkers and when you flicked the parker switch they came on.ideally you could get a vw switch that is blank(find it on ebay or such,was not released here) above the radio and wire it up to that.
need any help,just message me.

Cheers mate, I will look into it, will my car have the plugs to go straight to the fogs? how do i turn them on drom the dash?

SOHC
15-03-2007, 03:33 PM
are you thinking of getting some aftermarket ones or some Hella like with the projectors?? just get the projector ones off ebay I reckon is good enough...then just use the blinkers you got on it

DUBING
15-03-2007, 04:06 PM
MK3 in Australia didn’t come with a fog light option, however the car has all the wiring in it. What you need is a Euro switch, which is a switch that allows you to turn on your fogs (front first step and rear second step), looks just like the one found in your mk3. they go around 100AUD, you need a wiring loon to run the wire from the engine bay to the fog lights, you could make one your self of buy it, a 12V relay that goes in the fuse box and of cores the foglights. All up the installation should take about 2hr, not very difficult. Try to get better fogs, brands like JOM and FK.

my old vr with the fog's installed

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9125/vrug6.jpg

gpk_gti
15-03-2007, 04:23 PM
JOM dont make them anymore:( , VOTEX are the only ppl that sell those ones now.they are bright as they have a H3 halogen bulb,and when you turn them on,the light fills both of those blanks,not like your singular spotlight DUBING.good idea with the EURO switch though!

DUBING
15-03-2007, 04:40 PM
JOM dont make them anymore:( , VOTEX are the only ppl that sell those ones now.they are bright as they have a H3 halogen bulb,and when you turn them on,the light fills both of those blanks,not like your singular spotlight DUBING.good idea with the EURO switch though!

thank hehe,
can always get something like this..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Golf-Jetta-MK3-3-III-Black-Bumper-Foglights-Blinkers_W0QQitemZ290094374631QQcategoryZ33709QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

vivid sell good quality parts, dont know how good these are.
http://www.vividwonders.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_55_46_84&products_id=199

gpk_gti
15-03-2007, 04:54 PM
the ones on ebay are good,a bit like yours.but GOING_FAST,ebay seller,tend to add % on the end of the sale for paypal/overseas sales,take care with them.
as for those other ones,VIVID,they are the ones sold all over ebay and are not fog/driving lights,check the globe that is used!!
the reason I know about all this stuff is,mk3vr6 wanted a set like my old vr6 and I looked around for him.I suggested JOM or FK first,but when I checked them,they dont sell those 911 style ones anymore!!!only VOTEX sell em!:evil:

Tim
15-03-2007, 04:58 PM
ive bought a few bits and pieces from ultimatestyling.co.uk some of their pricing isnt super cheap but they have always been cheap on shipping for me. quality has been good too.

Bora Sport
15-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I have a set of fog lights available for sale. They replace the larger reflector with the fog light and a smaller reflector and look pretty much the same as those on Oli's car. Iam asking $100. I have fitted fog lights to my wife's Vento using the factory switch as mentioned earlier in this thread so I can also give some advice on how to fit them.

PM me with your e-mail for photos if interested.

Draco
19-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about VR6 fog lights, i thought the foglights which are part of the indicator cluster came standard on all VR6s? Mine doesnt appear to have any?

I also want to get some crystal clear indicator clusters and dont know where i would get them from.

If there are no fogs on there, how hard is it to put on and what would you do about the switch for the dash?

Mine came with rear fog as standard, and from what I've been told, all you have to do is to find the wiring in the engine bay, hook it up to the fogs you put in and the headlight switch will turn them on as well... Just pull the switch out when you're on full lights..

DubSteve
19-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Mine came with rear fog as standard, and from what I've been told, all you have to do is to find the wiring in the engine bay, hook it up to the fogs you put in and the headlight switch will turn them on as well... Just pull the switch out when you're on full lights..

There is a two stage switch that you can get. All golfs came with rear fog lights as standard at least the vr6's anyway that I know of. I'm still trying to find fogs :(

Looking at Ebay everyday don't know if I will find the riight ones for what I want before the Nationals :(

MattyT
20-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Bora Sport's fogs look to be the real deal.

I went fiddling with my ride and sure enough it has rear foglights... although only one of them.

One of my front reflectors fell out the other day, so new fogs could be the go. Or maybe some air intakes from TM tuning. Hmmmmm.

bboyskidz
20-03-2007, 07:13 AM
my old vr with the fog's installed

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

i LOVE these rims!!! sorry to go off topic, but how much, where from and what size/brand?!?

back on topic, I was looking at putting some foggies in my 97 CL. is this even possible? i know it just has covers on it at the moment but all the switches are still there. i'm thinking the only problem would be the wiring.

rayray086
20-03-2007, 09:43 AM
I went fiddling with my ride and sure enough it has rear foglights... although only one of them.

Mine too; I opened the other taillight up to put in a globe but it had a permanent plastic cover over it. Weird in that I've seen other Mk3 GL (Peedman's) standard taillights with rear fogs on both. I was thinking of trying to take that cover out hoping to find a plug for a globe for the rear fog, but I haven't got around to that yet.

So guys, with the front foglight Euro switch with the double step, can you get the front foglights to switch on while the headlight switch is on the daytime/parking light notch? I know that the standard switch with the single step for the rear fogs can only be switched on when the switch is at the full beam notch.

Also, I'm seriously thinking of getting a smoked indicator cluster similar to the ones posted by DUBING (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Golf-Jetta-MK3-3-III-Black-Bumper-Foglights-Blinkers_W0QQitemZ290094374631QQcategoryZ33709QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem). I might just go for a blank panel rather than fogs cos they're quite expensive - we'll be needing a Euro switch too if we want to do it "properly". Anyone up for a bulk buy @ TMTuning or elsewhere j:

Bora Sport
20-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok this is what I know having actually done it on my wife's Vento.

You can buy the two stage swith from VW and it plugs straight into the existing loom. You have to put a standard 15 amp relay into the empty spot position number 22 in the fuse box as I recall. As I understand it the VR6 and the GL all have the wiring already in the harness up to a point.

If you look under the radiator support panel approximately just to the drivers side of the middle of the front of the car you will see a circular shaped wiring harness joiner. The cars are wired for the fog lights to that point (the drivers side of the joiner. If you hook into that wire (grey with green stripe?? I will have to check) and run the feeds down to the fog lights and run an earth they will all work just like a bought one.

Golfer
20-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Mine too; I opened the other taillight up to put in a globe but it had a permanent plastic cover over it. Weird in that I've seen other Mk3 GL (Peedman's) standard taillights with rear fogs on both.

I don't know, but it might be a case of what year model the GL is. My 94 has rear foglights in both...

Would swap them for a set of 'smokies' :D (Yeah right!)

Cheers!
J:cool:HN

MattyT
20-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Mine too; I opened the other taillight up to put in a globe but it had a permanent plastic cover over it. Weird in that I've seen other Mk3 GL (Peedman's) standard taillights with rear fogs on both. I was thinking of trying to take that cover out hoping to find a plug for a globe for the rear fog, but I haven't got around to that yet.

Mine has a cover on the other as well.

Actually, the side that did have a foglight on it, the cover had been quite obviously removed with force. Perhaps you're meant to just do that?

The other thing I have been thinking is that really, fog doesnt happen much in perth. You get the odd spot late at night in the middle of winter and thats it.

Perhaps I should save up for sweet driving lights instead and light stuff up like a rally driver j:

peedman
20-03-2007, 07:12 PM
If u cant beat their car, blind them to death :D

If anyone finds some cheap foggies id be up for it but after looking around, theyre bloody rip offs!!!

rayray086
20-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Found a seller located in Britain that's putting up the factory foglights + wiring loom + Euro switch for auction at an equivalent of $60AUD:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-MK3-GOLF-VR6-GTI-FRONT-FOGLIGHT-KIT_W0QQitemZ140096814694QQcategoryZ9889QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Pretty damn cheap, considering TMTuning sells the Euro switch for $85USD alone. Will post up on the eBay section too.

MattyT
21-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Postage might be a killer ?

Draco
22-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Found a seller located in Britain that's putting up the factory foglights + wiring loom + Euro switch for auction at an equivalent of $60AUD:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-MK3-GOLF-VR6-GTI-FRONT-FOGLIGHT-KIT_W0QQitemZ140096814694QQcategoryZ9889QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Pretty damn cheap, considering TMTuning sells the Euro switch for $85USD alone. Will post up on the eBay section too.

It looks like the middle white diffuser (blank) lens is also missing in the deal, so you'll have to source these from else where or but up the blank that is in there now...

rayray086
22-03-2007, 06:27 AM
It looks like the middle white diffuser (blank) lens is also missing in the deal, so you'll have to source these from else where or but up the blank that is in there now...

Yeah, someone on the forums posed that question to me too. The stock blanks on non-foglight models are attached together, so would require a separate one.

Damn eBay-ers are sly. Wait until the very last hour to bid.

gpk_gti
22-03-2007, 07:11 AM
hehe,you think thats bad,I wait till the last minute usually,if I really want it.ppl look for bids,if there is not many bids,they dont bid because they think something is wrong.

rayray086
22-03-2007, 10:44 AM
hehe,you think thats bad,I wait till the last minute usually,if I really want it.ppl look for bids,if there is not many bids,they dont bid because they think something is wrong.

Yeah, I do that too so I can't really talk haha. It just gave me a sense that I may have been the only one looking at it, and no one else was aware of it :rolleyes:

gman
31-03-2007, 07:06 AM
hey all

i'd be keen to join in a group buy for a set of smoked front indicators & covers - they look great...

i wonder how much we could get them in for...

gman./

peedman
31-03-2007, 10:57 AM
The cheapest for smoked fogs and turns is $130 US from blackforestindustries but they dont ship internationally.... TMTUNING sells for a whoppping $300 US. Indicators and covers were $109 US..

So either way theyre pretty hefty for what they are.

peedman
11-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok this is what I know having actually done it on my wife's Vento.

You can buy the two stage swith from VW and it plugs straight into the existing loom. You have to put a standard 15 amp relay into the empty spot position number 22 in the fuse box as I recall. As I understand it the VR6 and the GL all have the wiring already in the harness up to a point.

If you look under the radiator support panel approximately just to the drivers side of the middle of the front of the car you will see a circular shaped wiring harness joiner. The cars are wired for the fog lights to that point (the drivers side of the joiner. If you hook into that wire (grey with green stripe?? I will have to check) and run the feeds down to the fog lights and run an earth they will all work just like a bought one.

Hey there,

Can you check which wire i need to tap into i just got myself some fogs :D

And from memory do you know how much the 2 step switch costs??

Cheers

peedman
11-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok anyone know where to get a cheapish mk3 euro switch? VW Denlo parts ~$183 :o and VW Penrith ~$160 :o . Getting from the US is out of the question coz they wont physically fit.

Last option would be to wire it up to the existing switches :(

Bora Sport
12-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I think I paid around $150.00 for the switch but it was a year or 2 ago. I guess it depends on whether you want it factory or not. I thought it was worth it because then you can just used all the existing wiring.

I am reliably reminded by AHBVW that the wire is Grey &Yellow.
On the Drawing it is the 5th wire in going to L22 & L23 from the Right Hand Side.

You can just tap straight into it on the drivers side (Your left when you are standing in front of the car and looking towards the windscreen). We actually got the connector and put it into the harness connector on the right hand side and ran the wires down to the fog lights from there so it looked a bit more like a factory installation.

peedman
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah i know what you mean about factory looking but i wasnt expecting it to cost so much. I think ill just put it off for a while until i have more cash. Thanks for your help tho im definately bookmarking this thread!

Btw i reckon removing the towing eye covers the car looks heaps mad lol :D

Mrk_Mickey
19-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but my VR6 has fogs and i didn't know how to turn them on until about 20 mins ago...my stepdad was fiddling with the lightswitch and the fogs come on when you PULL the knob out!

I'm also interested in some fogs, as a group buy or just from somewhere for a good price. I really want some bright/HID blue fogs with smoked covers, if anyone has any idea where to get something like that that isn't a ripoff like the rest advertised?

gpk_gti
19-12-2007, 08:02 PM
JOM in the fatherland used to make them,,, $400+ but not anymore,99% of ppl on the web want the ripoffs unfortunately.
they were like a double length but with a h4 bulb,so very bright.like a porsche spotty.look at my vpic gallery for some pics.

Draco
19-12-2007, 10:13 PM
We actually got the connector and put it into the harness connector on the right hand side and ran the wires down to the fog lights from there so it looked a bit more like a factory installation.

Where did you get the connector from?