PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get suspension upgrades?

Pete@ECSTuning
26-02-2010, 07:28 AM
So I've been reading these boards for a solid month now and I keep noticing that everyone mentions how expensive things are in the Oz. Clearly, I understand that shipping inflates prices to you all, and that your tax on packages over 1k AUD is pretty high. What I wanted to where you are ordering from that things are so high? With the 113 AUD = 100 USD it seems like the market would be in your favor. Heck, the 13% growth in the AUD makes up for the tax you pay on shipments over 1k.

I'm not meaning this post to be an advert for any particular product. I just want everyone to know, shipping to the Oz isn't as terrible as it used to be. In this section there is a thread for Koni coilovers that retail for £950 plus install and shipping charges. A comparable kit can get to you from us for ~1000 USD. So you don't need to bargain hunt the same way you may be used to, the bargains are there already.

So help me understand what I may be missing here? I know I'm spoiled living in the US, but it seems that Oz conditions aren't so bad?

Manaz
26-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Chris,

To use Bilstein as an example - for my car, the local importer (through their retail store) wanted AUD$3500 for PSS9s (same setup for a Mk1 Quattro TT). And that was before fitting. They "kindly" reduced the price to $3000 to clear stock off their shelves - and then promptly told me to stop shopping around for a better price (I asked another supplier, who it turns out get their product from the importer as well, and the importer figured out I was chasing better pricing) - the exact words were "you've shopped around enough".

I ended up getting them through ECS (indirectly) fitted, for $2400 total. And that included someone locally making a bit of profit on top of doing the work, importing the parts, paying the taxes and paying their own costs (insurance, etc), covering warranty and legal liability, etc.

My understanding is that someone who's working with bulk volumes should be able to do it cheaper than on a one-by-one basis.

So why so expensive here?

We're a small market. We're geographically remote and isolated. Until fairly recently, tariffs on imports were higher, shipping was more expensive. And as much as anything else, I think some importers/sellers have taken advantage of the market conditions (low prevailing supply in particular) to keep prices (and thus profits) high - why offer something at $x profit when you can offer it at $2x profit and still sell it?

I do wonder (seriously) what could be done by someone willing to go into business not just to help themselves, but work with the community, offer great support, and drive larger overall profits by volume rather than per-item margin...

team_v
26-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I was looking for H&R Coilovers for the Tiguan.

Cheapest an Aussie importer could do was $4k.
ECS-Tuning can supply them to me for $1400 AUD.

I will be going through them with a group buy later on if all goes to plan to reduce shipping even further.

Pete@ECSTuning
27-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the reply.

So I looked up the PSS9 system (for Mk I TT) and before all your taxes it was 1690 USD shipped. Then you have to add 5% for import tariff which drives the total up to 1775 USD. After that you get your VAT tax of 10% and you are up to 1776 USD (delivered to your door) which equals out to an even 2000 AUD. So (install rates asside) I don't see how local retailers get away charging 3500 AUD for PSS9's, or even 3000 AUD as it cost a consumer only 2000 total to get a set dropped off at their door from ECS Tuning? I've even done the math with worse and better exchange rates but it still keeps coming out in the consumer's favor to order in equipment.

How about something more normal. What do you all have to pay for a full oil change locally? Here we can get them done between 25 and 60 USD depending on quality of oil.

gareth_oau
27-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Chris, its even worse than that, because if we do buy off ECS or similar, then we are still getting them at a retail rate, and paying airfreight costs.

A local dealer would be getting them at wholesale rates, and no doubt buying in a larger consigment to get cheaper freight costs.

All this would suggest that there are some quite massive margins being made

Pete@ECSTuning
27-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I guess that is what I am getting at is just what gareth_oau said. Dealers are selling things for 3-3.5k which you can secure for yourself at mail-order from us for much less. Maybe people just don't know freight and taxes aren't that high anymore?

An oil change I can understand being rated a bit higher because of high volume orders but a PSS9 setup for 3.5k is outlandish! What is even worse is that I've seen PSS9's sell in classifieds USED for 2k:eek:

SleeperA4
28-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think importing things is as bad as it used to be. The dollar is stronger and the duty has just been reduced to 5%.

Some of the margins charged by the distributors in Australia is an issue and I supposed some people being scared of getting ripped off.

I have recently purchased an item from a US company, it cost me under $AUD1000 landed and the local distributor wanted something like $AUD2800.

At $2800 it is the difference between me getting the item and not getting the item and as said in another post they would be getting a much better deal on freight than me bringing in a single item.

G-rig
28-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I got my H&R Coilovers and Sways from Mike (at) Performalink (dot) com, in NZ. Worked out a fair bit cheaper than local prices at the time, may be give him an email. No unexpected customs bills either, seems to be taken care of or built into the price at that end as far as i can work out.

Jmac
28-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I got my H&R Coilovers and Sways from Mike (at) Performalink (dot) com, in NZ. Worked out a fair bit cheaper than local prices at the time, may be give him an email. No unexpected customs bills either, seems to be taken care of or built into the price at that end as far as i can work out.

Thanks for the link mate, the more links we have the better.
Cheers
Jmac

G-rig
28-02-2010, 08:48 PM
No worries. It may not be rock bottom prices like some kits from the US, but once you add currency conversion, freight and customs tax it takes some of the shine off and may not be that much cheaper.

schoona
01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
It is certainly worth shipping from overseas now. I think the big gripe is the local support. With n obody here affiliatede with ECS and the like to answer questions, maintain products, fit/install to ECS standards (We are all aware of the solid name you have in the states) it can be off putting.

People putting the effort into shopping around are likely to end up with ECS as they are reputable. As said above, a "shopfront" in Oz in not likely feasible because of our small market.

G-rig
01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
If you want the cheaper price from overseas you have to be prepared to pay for return post etc for any warranty claims.

Most stuff is ok anyway and you probably wouldn't have a problem. Is annoying how we pay so much more for most stuff in AUS/buying locally.

Pete@ECSTuning
02-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Ah, so are you saying that you resort to the locals because they include installation?

G-rig
02-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Ah, so are you saying that you resort to the locals because they include installation?

No, installation is usually extra..

Was just saying that some people are worried about warranty and the cost to ship it back etc.

gareth_oau
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I just had some 2nd hand konis installed on my S3, and the installation bill was $350 including alignment - allow this sort of number in your budgeting