PDA

View Full Version : R32s racing in oz, info please

bsting
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi there guys, greetings from across the ditch :D

I remember seeing a racing series on tv in NZ in 2004 with 3x LHD mk4 R32s in it.
white, red and black 3dr ones. Buggar nos why i did not tape it at the time.

Is there anything you guys have on them or the racing itself?
Websites? Pics? dvds? etc

I think the black one crashed and was written off.

Any info you have please post it :)

Thanks very much, from all your kiwi mates here.

phaeton
12-03-2007, 05:10 PM
The R32s raced in the Australian GT Performance class 2003-2004 with drivers Stuart McColl, Matt Leahey,Paul Stokell & Nathan Pilkington.

Sadly the crash you remember at Phillip Island in Victoria killed driver Stuart McColl RIP :(

2004 Hes some pic from Mallala Raceway in South Australia http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=3067

Winton 2003
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1033641

Wakefield 2004
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1529054

Barloworld GTI Racer 2006
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2472299

Since then VW have supported the Dutton Rally with Polo GTI & Golf TDI,GTI & R32s.

www.duttonrally.com

bsting
13-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Cool, thanks very much for that.

I didnt see that much of it when it was on, and was not aware a driver died,
till now.:o

Very sad

Water Boy
13-03-2007, 05:55 PM
RIP Stu he was a great bloke its unfortunate the brakes failed... :(

brenno
13-03-2007, 08:19 PM
You might also be thinking of the accident at Oran Park (I think) where Stokell had a brake failure and wrote off his R32. He wasn't seriously injured.

I was at Philip Island on the day McColl had his unfortunate accident. We saw it happen right in front of us. It was agonising to see him peel off the circuit with seemingly no brakes and then hit the wall with such great force.

I have some photos of the accident scene, but I'd rather not post them on a public forum. PM me if you want to see them.

Bug_racer
13-03-2007, 08:32 PM
You might also be thinking of the accident at Oran Park (I think) where Stokell had a brake failure and wrote off his R32. He wasn't seriously injured.

I was at Philip Island on the day McColl had his unfortunate accident. We saw it happen right in front of us. It was agonising to see him peel off the circuit with seemingly no brakes and then hit the wall with such great force.

I have some photos of the accident scene, but I'd rather not post them on a public forum. PM me if you want to see them.

There was never any brake failure

Stewys accident was due to the ABS working and not locking the brakes on the wet grass . He was not wearing the Hans device which would have saved his life if he had been wearing it . The airbags were disconnected as per cams rules .

The ABS went into limp mode due to the nature of Pauls braking . The Teves brake system was never designed for motorsport !!! The car also was not written off , it was repaired and continued to race the rest of the season . The shell that was meant to replace it did not arrive in time , it now resides at my place awaiting some extreme modification :) .

If you require any info feel free to email me , the white R32 is up for sale and I can not give away all info due to agreements with Volkswagen Racing Australia

Thanks
Seb

bsting
14-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Good call mate, yeah i dont really want to see the accident.
Its not the place. Thats is just so sad, what happened and all.

Must seem a bit odd to you guys, me asking for this info now....you must think us kiwis live under rocks:)

However i do remember the tussles in the chicanes and twisties with the 32 and a subaru....the 32 just always looked to have the better line...most of the time.... and then chasing each other down the straight. i just could not call my vagnut mates fast enough....'turn the bloody tv on, and watch this!'

Just fantastic racing to see.

phaeton
14-03-2007, 05:15 PM
However i do remember the tussles in the chicanes and twisties with the 32 and a subaru....the 32 just always looked to have the better line...most of the time.... and then chasing each other down the straight. i just could not call my vagnut mates fast enough....'turn the bloody tv on, and watch this!'

Just fantastic racing to see.

Agreed loved watching the R32s :D