PDA

View Full Version : S.A. - motorsport in south australia

SUMO MK1
15-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Deleted

Gravey
16-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Got any event schedules? I found the one for the hill climb on the front page http://www.collingrovehillclimb.com.au/home/

what's required for the Come and Try Day in April? Do you need to be a member or hold a specific license? what about requirements for gear?

phaeton
16-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Do you need a CAMS licence?

Stuwey
16-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I did the motorkhana "skills enhancement day" last year and it was great fun.

Just signed up for a temporary jobbie on the day.

You'll ned a CAMS licence for the rest though.

evorobin
16-02-2010, 06:09 PM
You can buy a cams licence on the day. Taylor your names not down for the 7th mate?

Gravey
17-02-2010, 01:08 PM
awesome how much? Any other requirements?

woosh73
17-02-2010, 01:55 PM
sweet , I'll let you know the next time i'm down at mallala on an open day

SUMO MK1
17-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Deleted

Gravey
17-02-2010, 03:08 PM
cool, gonna try come to the 'come and try' day in April.

Just looking at the mallala website too and they have a number of practice days this year....they dont mention having to have a fire extinguisher for practice, but do mention non-synthetic clothing that covers arms and legs in full & helmet.

Can we confirm if an extinguisher is required for a come and try day?

Lorenz
17-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure they will want one at Mallala, but either way it's good to have one in the car.
They cost about $25 from Supercheap/Repco etc and bolt in easily with a few screws.

When I get the car back to a driveable/thrashable state, I will be keen to check out some form of motorsport this year as I didnt get a chance last year!

evorobin
17-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Fire extinguishers needs a date stamp hence the ones at race revolution cost $50..

You need a secondary bonnet catch, blue battery sticker (can use tape) and a cams approved helmet $80, long sleeves and trousers pref cotton, Cams licence on the day is $20 maybe.

However last time I was at Mallala they never checked the car...

Stuwey
17-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Can we confirm if an extinguisher is required for a come and try day?

For a "Practice" day at Mallala, there is no scruitineering. Nobody checks your car over.

Which is all good, but you don't know if the other cars out there are leaking oil etc.. That, and there is too much varience in the speed of everybody. Not cool. Some doing 1:18, some doing 1:50. Being overtaken whilst overtaking isn't fun.

Try the MSCASA Super Sprint series. Everybody gets scruitineered, so you can be a little surer that the rest of the field are track worthy.

This also helps by running all cars in their own lap time groups, so you shouldn't be too out of your depth at any point.

MUCH safer, MUCH better organisation.

Gravey
18-02-2010, 12:23 PM
what about collingrove for an extinguisher on a come and try day as hillclimbs are what I'm really interested in.

MSCASA sounds better, I'm certainly not going to be fast by anyones standards, I just want to have a bit of fun.

SUMO MK1
18-02-2010, 02:02 PM
You will also need a second throttle release spring. It would be awesome to have more golfs up at collingrove for the hillclimb, ATM there is just me in my mk1 valver, joel in his blown mk1 1600 and rarely a UK mk1 GTI import.

Oneofthegreats
21-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Seeing those makes me want to have a go. Better than beating around the back roads of your home town

(even though some of them are pretty bloody awesome!)

Nice job on the editing too! Makes the vids heaps better with music

Wish I knew how to do all that. (not very computer literate)

A friend of mine sometimes competes every now & then in the hillclimbs & Mallala sprints

Used to run a Alpine White 83 Campaign GTI (which I know own) & now he runs a VR6.

I think his mate also runs a mk1 GTI 1600 too.

He's been trying to amp me up to come over to a track day.

Might have to look into a LSD or even a spooled diff setup.
MotorX & KanaX blokes in the states seem to run pretty hard & have good luck with lockers surprisingly too.

SUMO MK1
22-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Cheers on the booyah for the vids :), we filmed 8 events last year with all of them edited to music, the ones without music were edited for youtube. YT is currently cracking down on the use of non authorised tracks. For example the incar footage of me in my little white golf had a bit of System Of A Down as the backing but YT just muted it so to avoid this and keep the backing tracks we wanted we just did 2 versions of each vid, one for YT and one for our DVD.