PDA

View Full Version : Mark 1 Outside CV joints

SPC
22-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Trying to change an outside CV boot but I can not get the joint off the shaft. I believe there is ment to be a circlip but I can not see one there. Do they all have a circlip or are there some (this one) without?
In which case, how does it come off?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Golfwise
22-11-2005, 09:31 PM
What year?.Early cvs have circlip look for the cutout around the axle or late ones are knocked off, use big hammer.

Golf Loon
22-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I believe the car is a 1981 cabrio imported from US. Does that make it later type?

Golfwise
22-11-2005, 10:04 PM
50/50 that one
You will have to look harder.Get rid of the grease and look where cv slides onto the shaft from the inside.If its not scalloped out for the circlip use BIG mother hammer and knock joint off.

SPC
23-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys,

Yes turns out it was the later type and poped off beautifully following a hit with a block of wood. Very happy.

Back to the body work then.

Golfwise
23-11-2005, 09:14 AM
SPC hmmmm don't they can fruit ? :P

Golf Loon
23-11-2005, 09:20 AM
SPC hmmmm don't they can fruit ? :P

And its a SAAB special edition!

Golfwise
23-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Saabs are good for their Kjet cis bits and distributors for 16vs but not much else.Aren't they a Swedish Holden now that GM owns them and builds them on FWD GM platforms /Opels Vauxhalls.
Old ones had character though with the old Triumph motor and mini style transmission put in back the front.Kinky :twisted:

Golf Loon
23-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah the classic 900 Turbo, up to 1993 was the last true Saab. 16v Turbo Powered and designed to hit a moose and always start in any temperature. The wife has a 1988 Aero. I would not buy one of the new GM ones, as you say they are just a re-jigged vectra. I`ve changed motors on saabs and the first one is a bit of a spin. As you say a Triumph motor, but the clutch on the front and the gearbox underneath always spins out mechanics!

Golfwise
23-11-2005, 07:14 PM
We as in my wife and I have owned them too because they were quirky cool and have both had turbos.Fun to work on,lucky I was a lot younger when I did as I wouldn't have the patience now.
That was back in the 80's and they also went hard with a bit of tweaking and very reliable.
Because of my involvement with VW Audis I had to go back to them as my customers started to question. :roll:
I got out of them while they were worth a good dollar too. :lol:

SPC
28-11-2005, 02:03 PM
From Golf CV joints to Saab's. That is a fair leap.
Yes they do can fruit.
They are also my initials which I registered with before I realised that everyone had made up cool names for themself. Boring I know.