PDA

View Full Version : XR6 Intercooler

jasn78
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Just in regards to a comment someone made on the APR bits thread. Would it be possible to do this and to all the Brissy guys on here who would be best to do the pipe work? The reason is I have spotted an xr6t cooler for 125.

shaneth
09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Ummm, there is a mob in brendale that are said to be really good. i will try and remember the name. also whats the specs on the xr6t cooler. especially compared with what we have. If longer piping is used are you prepared for a bit more lag.

shaneth
09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Heres the link. There are probably more around but this is one i remember.A.R.E (http://www.are.com.au)

Kai
10-03-2007, 01:51 AM
If someone does this and it works. Ill no doubt do it.

mitch_gti
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
It was I who mentioned this in the forum.

From what i have read the intercooler is made by Garett.

One of my friends owns a XR6t and i bought the cooler off him (because he now has a big shiny one :P ) and my brother is fitting it to his car.

The standard intercooler on a S14 seems to be quite similar in size to the Pogs. the XR cooler is about twice the size and its black :)

I cant justify spending 2300 bucks on a intercooler kit when you could buy one of these coolers for 100-150 in PERFECT condition and get a very good exhaust shop to make a few alloy bends and fit it for you for five hundred bucks or so.

I say someone should give it a go :D then get the pipes duplicated and sell them to the rest of us

shaneth
10-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Before someone goes out and does it. you have to figure the performance benefits for it and also the waranty side effects. Its one thing to chip a car that might not get detected if you dont have a problem in the first 3 years but it is a completely different matter to add a fmic, esspecially if there are no real gains to be had. Now i know that cold air equals more power etc etc. But what are the temps of the air coming out of the stock cooler. Will there be a significant difference in differnet driving conditions i.e. drag strip, track day, around town. Im not saying its not a good idea i think thought and lots of reasearch would go into it before i made the move. Anyone considered a water to air cooler in stock position?????

WRXconvert
10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
water to air cooler in stock position is still going to void your warranty.... and they cost a lot... and the most efficient by far will always be a air to air front mount... plus where are you going to put the heat exchange unit for the water to air? there isnt much room... sorry to be a pesimest but im only going on what i have looked at.

jasn78
10-03-2007, 11:54 PM
As this is my first Euro I'm not sure how much benefit there will be just working on my old ride and other Jap imports and from HPI/4's mags and found that adding a FMIC even a budget one like this would be made a great deal of to the amount of boost i can run and like Mitch said 800 bucks versus 2 and a bit gs is also in my consideration. Prob wont happen till after tax time howerver:)

shaneth
11-03-2007, 12:03 AM
wrxconvert i totally agree with most of what you are saying except the point about air to air being most efficent. I think the most efficient is air to water especially when it comes to normal driving. this is off a website.
the only time a front mount will out perform an air/water if both are set up properly - at speed . Stop/start, drag racing, towing, 4 x 4 offroad etc. all gain from air/water. The charge air temps. into the engine are also much more stable.

I do understand why you want to fmic. And as for the cost i couldnt agree more.

Timbo
11-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know the weight of a XR6T FMIC, but you'd want to bear that, plus the weight of any piping in mind when doing a cost benefit on this. The Pog already has a lot of its weight over the front wheels and its (stock) handling characteristics reflect this :?

mitch_gti
11-03-2007, 10:57 AM
stock XR fmic is about 3kg max. + Aluminium pipe = light as

some cheap aftermarket ic kits for jap cars weigh an absolute ton in comparison

Kai
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Ive found one for 100 bucks. So if it works ill buy it.

jasn78
12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Kai,

Very interested in hearing how it goes. Hope all goes well

mitch_gti
12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
i dont quite have the man nuts to do it.

Who is going to be the test mule??? timbo :D

shaneth
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
if i had the cash i would do it, but im still saving for the flash :(

Kai
12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Kai,

Very interested in hearing how it goes. Hope all goes well

Im not going to try. Just i have one lined up that i can get for that price :P

aprr32
12-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Just set up a water spray on the standard intercooler for not a lot of dollars and bang for buck!

Timbo
12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
It'll soon be winter ;) :D

Kai
12-03-2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/03/post6385711736943731528580282-1.jpg

Kai
13-03-2007, 05:10 PM
after going to see guy today.

I wouldnt bother with doing an xr cooler. :)

mitch_gti
13-03-2007, 05:19 PM
why wouldnt you do the xr6 cooler??????

On the subject of waterspray kit on stock cooler. is this easy to do?

are there any proffessional kits to do this?

GTIJNR
13-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Water spray wouldn't be too hard, pick a few parts like washer bottle, switchs... then wiring, fuse, and a high quality spray nozzle/s would do the job... say bout 3 man hrs to fit... Can't beat that for value if u know how to wire things up. FMI would only worth if the car is chipped... And there are better cooler than the XR6, ideally something with both inlet and outlet on oneside, one come to my mind is MX6's cooler lol, they're sure bigger than the standard vw ones. But then again i would think twice bout things that void warranty, VWs quality these days are not as good as the one in the olden days i think...

shaneth
15-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Heres a decent Kit. only $995. http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9770/uploadgg8.jpg

Spec83
16-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Nice water to air kit - the radiator would probably fit where the stock polo cooler fits.... just got to figure out where to put the barrel before the intake temperature sensor... :P

WRXconvert
17-03-2007, 08:30 AM
hey thats daves intercooler... he has a mitsu colt ralliart and i saw that pic the other day! he works with me! small world!

shaneth
17-03-2007, 11:28 AM
hey thats daves intercooler... he has a mitsu colt ralliart and i saw that pic the other day! he works with me! small world!

:D im a member of the coltr forum as well from when i was still in my cecision making on what car to get. Looks like a good kit.

GTIJNR
21-03-2007, 09:09 PM
just curious.... copy from rallyart forrum

"Thanks Raymond6. Have you actually ever driven the Polo Gti or the Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart to give an unbiased opinion? Im sorry for the fact that you had a bad run with Audi/VW but i can find plenty of people who have had no problems with there cars (including myself)? What i really want is people who have driven both to give there honest opinion on why they picked the Ralliart Colt."

was that u shaneth lol

shaneth
21-03-2007, 09:12 PM
yeah mate i posted that on the ralliart forum ages ago when i was looking at cars and he piped up afterwards bagging VW's and Audi's, typical rubbish which may or maynot have happened to him (hope its nobody here.). SO i told him i wanted other opinions. :D How did you find it. Going back there i still cant find it.

This is what i was replying to
It's easy to justify an extra $3000 on the Colt as it won't spend it's life in the workshop waiting for parts from South Africa or China. You will save on service cost, You will not get to know the Mechanics at your service centre better than your mother or wife.
You will have a car to drive around and not wonder if the frount suspension will fall to peices or the engine will cook as soon as it gets above 35 degress. You will have an airconditioner that works.
The cost of parts is a lot less with the Colt just to name a few things.
All the POLO is a elcheapo Audi and my familys experiance with those S&*#boxs tells me that if you have heaps of time and money to waste by the POLO if you don't get a Ralliart Colt + the Colt with a Ralliart badge should have a top resale value.

mitch_gti
21-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Thats what happens when you give an uneducated rice burner a keyboard and an internet connection...

shaneth
21-03-2007, 09:44 PM
lol well he now owns a Ralliart colt.

He also said this to me.
Looks nice and hope the little parasite holds together and you have a good run with it.
A word of advise get rid of it before the warranty runs out otherwise if it starts to stuff up it will cost you a fortune, you will get to know your mechanic better than your yourself and the bank manager will have an loans office set up in your home. Plus to get parts takes for ever they have to come from South Africa or China.
I owned VW's Golfs Passats Bettles and Audi's from 1970 up to 1999 all of them cost me a fortune then my Uncle and Anty Old Farts purchased a new Audi 2001 it cost them over 40K in repairs for things not covered under warranty especially the aluminum drive hubs and the pathetic rack and pinion that they still use today.
Good Luck your going to need it.

Spec83
22-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Couldn't have been too bad if he persisted for 29 years.... ****wit!!!!

I used to have an excel - 1998 model. Everyone used to bag it say how it will fall to bits, POS etc etc... The thing never missed a beat... i put rock hard suspension in it, 17's, coil overs, SPL comps, SQ comps and even shoved 14psi down its bores and it never missed a beat - was a great little car!!!