PDA

View Full Version : Exhuast fact or fiction?

blue_reality
08-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I was driving to work the other day and I drove past a Tuffy Muffler place - there were no cars in there so I stopped off to talk to the guy. I said I was thinking about putting a 2.5" dump pipe on my Golf GTI and had he had any experience with how they performed.

He told me that a dump pipe alone will do nothing because then it goes into the stock restrictive pipe. This was contrary to what I have heard and read everywhere else which suggests that the only restrictive part of the stock system is the dump pipe.

So he went on to say that to gain any benifit I would need to fit a full system and he could do it for..... wait for it .......

$3000!

That's right - three THOUSAND dollars.

Can someone please clear this up because I know that someone else on this forum went to Tuffy for their dump pipe and all the other resources I have investigated suggest that only a adump pipe is needed for a significat gain in power, particularly if the car has a GIAC chip / boost. Mine is stock at the moment but a chip is on the way in a few weeks.

Was the upgraded dump a noticable improvement?

Have you dynoed it before and after?

Ehat extra KW are expected?

gpk_gti
08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
hehehe,thats funny!!!
Tuffy Mufflers Alexandria 64 Epsom Rd 2015(02) 9699 2327was it this Tuffy?? there are a few around...
just spoke to them now,,, ring Ron or Mike .if you want I can meet u there to get that extra mates rates.
as for the difference,I did notice a mild diff in the mid range.make sure your rear box is up to speed!! ohhh and I didnt dyno just for that specific upgrade.too many upgrades to get a specific items kw increase..
you coming sunday right??

DIDZ
08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Come down on Sunday !

I'll show you my dump pipe!!! :D

(Get your dirty thoughts out of the gutter...)

h100vw
08-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I had a full 3inch turbo back system done for less than $2000.

It's common to fit a larger down pipe to the std system in Europe, The exhaust flows pretty good, consider it will allow a chipped car to make 200 hp. The larger DP lets the turbo spin up earlier.

Gavin

gpk_gti
08-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Come down on Sunday !

I'll show you my dump pipe!!! :D

(Get your dirty thoughts out of the gutter...)
I heard your dump pipe is pretty dirty!! give it a clean and we will get down and have a look !! hehehhehehe

DIDZ
08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
In seven days the underneath of the car should be bright and sparkly :D

*back from SuperRipoff with $2 cans of degreaser*

blue_reality
09-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Mmmm, on sunday we'll get our dump pipes out and compare sizes...

gpk_gti - how much was your dump pipe and fitting from Tuffy in Alexandria? And can they fit it on the spot quickly or was it a bit of a process? The Tuffy I went to was in Newtown.

DubSteve
09-03-2007, 10:20 AM
The Tuffy I went to was in Newtown.

Both those Tuffeys are 1 suburb away from eachother lol.

gpk_gti
10-03-2007, 07:16 AM
actually steve there are about 4 ,all within that area!

blue_reality
19-03-2007, 08:50 AM
I've put on a full 2.5" turbo back with new rear box and the car goes so much better. Probably 20% more power I'd guess. Spools up quicker and is not that loud at all - just a nice rumble.

jbot
19-03-2007, 07:06 PM
how much the TB cost ya, bluey?

gpk_gti
19-03-2007, 07:28 PM
where abouts are you jbot??

jbot
19-03-2007, 08:25 PM
gold coast mate :)

blue_reality
21-03-2007, 10:39 AM
$750 supplied and fitted with 2 year warranty.