PDA

View Full Version : Revo-Technik chip tune & SPS2

Timbo
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Well, after completing a little work on the car's brakes (Ferodo 2500 pads now fitted) and handling (Whiteline rear sway bar) I concluded it was time for a little more power, so started doing some research.

Ain't it great we have choice :)

I concluded that the Revo tune was likely to be no better/no worse than the other tunes available, and I quite liked the idea of the OBD2 port dongle as a means of switching tunes.

I spoke with Paul at eurocardriver (http://www.eurocardriver.com.au and http://www.revotechnik.com.au) and he impressed me as someone in this game who also knows his oats. He's currently setting up a dealer network, and he directed me to George at VW Village in Kensington.

I'd like to report the load went smoothly but there was a problem with the code, as this was the first Polo flashed at VWV. George is a careful operator, however, and recognised there was likely to be a problem, so we aborted. No harm done, but as it was a Saturday, I just had to come back another day.

Did this, everything went as smooth as, George also checked my car carefull with VAG-COM and even changed my auto-lock settings to the way I have been asking my dealer to set them on two visits. George also explained the SPS2 settings to me, and demo'd the anti-theft mode. He checked all the tunes I had loaded (stock, 95, 98 & 100), and suggested I take care using the 100 tune. Good, thoughtful stuff from George -- what you'd expect. I did a test drive (not much chance to explore anything, on Kensington's busy roads) then headed back to Canberra.

It was a hot, humid day and I must confess I could feel the extra power, but it wasn't hitting me as much I thought it would. But it was there, and and the response cruising down the Hume, when I stepped on the accelerator at 110, with the Pog lifting its nose, put a smile on my face. I checked fuel economy on the trip. No change there. ;)

The bout of hot weather came to an end a day or so later, and I jumped in the car early one morning. Instantly, quite different: much sharper response, and leaping away as soon as it hit 2500rpm in any gear. Now I knew what I had :D

About two weeks' use now, and I am very impressed by this tune. I've used the switch a few times, just to compare stock and 98, and the difference is marked. It's transformed the car into a much more fun little beast, with few obvious signs of what lurks beneath. I avoid TLDs, but I do sort of enjoy sprinting past the odd SSV8 when I change into 2nd. They're usually not expecting that :laugh:

I will be testing it more as I do track the car. The handling and braking cope better with the increased power. I'll post results when I have them.

Comparisons are odious, so I won't go into them. I think the Revo tune suits the Pog well. Power delivery is smooth, and there are no gaps or misses that I have noticed. Fuel economy seems pretty much the same. The big difference is the size of the grin on the driver.:D

I chose the Revo after a lot of research, but also aware that there were relatively few with this tune in Australia. I like the flexibility it gives me, and the additional functionality of the SPS. The Revo tune plus SPS are also good value, IMO.

Paul, at vwdriver, and George at VWV were also great to deal with and I'd certainly recommend them both.

Most of all, VW owners should be happy there is additional competition for tunes in the Australian market, which doesn't always happen in the world of imported car tuning

GTIJNR
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
I like it, def a good price...
BTW, can u get access to 100 pump fuel up there at all? I love to give that a try.

Timbo
07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, there's a few Shell stations around with 100 octane. I might try it sometime ;)

GTIJNR
08-03-2007, 06:27 PM
any chance 4 a dyno sheet timbo??? lol
100 octance sound yum... i ran that a few time, just 2 rich 4 standard map lol its pop and crackle on over run, even lift off at 2500 rev in normal traffic it would pop lol... kinda cool

Timbo
08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
There's the supplier's claimed dyno results on the Revo Technik site
http://www.revotechnik.com.au/ecu_performance_tuning/revo_dyno_charts.html

shaneth
08-03-2007, 09:11 PM
The dyno sheets dont make sense. They say that its a golf 1.8T i know the polo also has a 1.8T but i thought they were different. And the polo responded better to tuning.

DUBING
08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
just a little question why do pre 2000 model A3 1.8T and GTi's make 148kw @306nm and 2000+ make 158kw@322nm?:?:

Timbo
08-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I think there's always questions to be asked about these sorts of charts :confused:

h100vw
08-03-2007, 09:59 PM
just a little question why do pre 2000 model A3 1.8T and GTi's make 148kw @306nm and 2000+ make 158kw@322nm?:?:

Early cars had cable throttle s and the later ones are DBW. I don't know why it makes a difference unless the turbo can produce more boost??

Gavin

Timbo
22-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Just hauling this up for an update

Following the VW-Audi dyno day, just though I would post my dyno sheet for those who were interested.

I am pretty happy with the outcome. The one obvious characteristic of this tune is the improvement in the mid-range. A stock Pog gets into its stride around 3,500 rpm; the Oettinger tune is about the same -- linear but higher; mine is very strong from around 2,500rpm.

I must say I didn't think there's be such variation between tunes. Adds to the choice I guess ;)

The AFR chart is very consistent, too, with no lean spikes or other nasties.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/timbo_gti/dyno2.jpg

shaneth
22-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Looks good mate.

sorry i edited it cause i thought it may be taken the wrong way and after some reaserch running third would only give minimal difference to runnning 4th.

Timbo
22-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes, we (the Pogs) all ran in 3rd. I think that's around 21.6kph/1,000 rpm (someone please correct me if that's wrong)

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 04:15 PM
sorry mate,but please correct me if im wrong ,you got 598nm torque atw?????can you explain this to us??:?

Timbo
22-04-2007, 04:56 PM
It's a complex calculation, but the max derived torque at the wheels is about 316Nm at 3,500 rpm.

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 05:20 PM
ahhh ,,thanks timbo!! scared me abit;) ,thanks for sharing all this info with us!!!!:D

Timbo
22-04-2007, 06:41 PM
...and *I think* "derived torque" means it is a chassis dyno attempt at calculating the torque at the flywheel...

GTIJNR
22-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Good stuff tim...

Glide_GTI
23-04-2007, 07:56 PM
awesome chip and great value too, hopefully the new giac program will yield me around the same results :)

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 10:23 PM
...and *I think* "derived torque" means it is a chassis dyno attempt at calculating the torque at the flywheel...

so why would it calculate the torque at the flywheel and kw atw??

Hilton_K
08-05-2007, 10:35 PM
so why would it calculate the torque at the flywheel and kw atw??

Because torque at the wheels varies so much depending in what gear you are in ;) 1st gear would have lots and 5th not much, couldn't be bothered working out right now but there are formulas out there....

gtiono
09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Does anyone know the formula to convert ATW to flywheel or vice versa?

Timbo
10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
There's no strict formula, so far as I am aware, as it varies depending on drivetrain configuration. In the case of the Pog, it *seems* to dyno around 93-95Kw ATW, which -- given the factory flywheel rating of 110Kw -- suggests a drivetrain loss of around 15%, which is quite efficient (FWD cars are generally more efficient than either RWD or AWD)

SoVeReIgN
10-05-2007, 10:05 AM

In 2000 the A3s got an updated engine with Variable valve timing and drive by wire throttle.

I think American golfs got a similar treatment in 2000 but aussie MK4 golfs never did so they'll get 148kw regardless of the year.

Timbo
01-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Just a further update:
I attended the ACT dyno day, and had the chance to run the car with 'stock', 98 and 100 programs.
The absolute numbers were "interesting" but I was more interested in the deltas:
- 22.4% increase in power from 98 over 'stock'
- a further 4.6% increase from the 100 program over 98

Now I can stop wasting time and money on V-Power Racing ;)

pomme
01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
An additional 4.6% is a fair bit isn't it?

Considering its a 22.4% is 98, its 3.8% from 98 to 100, extra 6kw or so... Does APR have a 100 program?