PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 TDI engine conversion

dieseldude
07-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi All
After coming to the realization that i wont come across a Gen 3 tdi again, does anyone have any info on converting a Gen 3 golf with a petrol engine with an imported TDI engine?? Do things like the fuel tank have to be changed as well, can an after market fuel pump be used to supply the fuel pressure?? Engine in relation to gearbox (same box as tdi???) Engine mounts ect ect..... might be to many ???? But could be a good project.

Cheers

brackie
07-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, it can be done and has been done. You need to get hold of an engine and box complete with all electrics and filters. Tank is OK as the petrol car has a fuel return line. If you could get a front cut all would be there.

20vkitcar
07-03-2007, 07:48 PM
brackie fuel pump in the mk3 petrol needs to be changed on this conversion also......if tis any early mk 3 tdi the change is easier with the acc cable ..but a later TDI engine will also need the acc pedal and dash cluster to work correctly....which you also need to include ignition transponder and control unit as the injector pump is controlled by your imobilizer..not to scare you off but a 94 TDI front cut would be the easiest way to go cheers steve

brackie
07-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Right, Steve. The earlier ones are much easier. Later ones with transponders and more sophisticated engine management are definitely in the realms of a front cut conversion.

You've really got to ask yourself (as I have done), "Is it worth it??" Probably the extra expenses in the conversion ...we all know the way in which little bits and pieces add up... would reply, "No". And after all of this you still have to get it through Engineering. It's a nice dream.

dieseldude
08-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks yall for the info
How much is the engineers cert. ?? I thought it was about 500 bucs. A front cut cant be that much could it... any ideas on $$$. Might be best to try my best and save my pennies for a 2.0 tdi....

Cheers Dudes

syncro
08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Why would you need an engineering certificate?

dieseldude
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi
Yeah why would you need and eng. cert. ?? your not really altering the structure of the car (engine mounts and so forth...).

Oil for thought

brackie
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know about the state that you live in, but in most if you change the fuel type (LPG, diesel) then it needs to be certified.

syncro
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
As far as I know it's only if you increase engine capacity by more than 300cc(?) or make major structural changes. Who would ever know?

golf3
08-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey!

The conversion would be very extensive, if done completely, and a lot of messing around. More extensive than my conversion!!!

The engine wiring will work with any mk3 relay box, and the dash will work correctly. So wiring is pretty easy.

If you would like a manual gearbox, then you can use the standard mk3 2.0L petrol 020 box, or swap over to the proper item. I suggest using the correct gearbox to overcome gear ratio issues, diesels obviously rev differently. But, to use the proper gearbox, then you need to try and find a cable clutch actuator for the gearbox. These items can sometimes be hard to find. On the other hand, you can swap over to hydraulic clutch, which means pulling out the steering column, changing pedal boxes, installing a clutch master system, reservoir feed lines, master to slave lines, etc... To then mount the gearbox, you will need the correct mounts, both front and rear tranny mounts... You will also need to swap in a cable change gearbox selectors, as the 2.0L ones are linkages...Standard 2.0L drive shafts will line up, clutches can be harder to find.

Engine wise, you will need to get pumps, maybe a different tank, maybe lines, chances are you'll need a different catalytic convertor and exhaust/manifold...

Even if you find a full wreck to strip parts from, this conversion WILL COST YOU AROUND $3,000AUD!!!

I am sorry if I sunk your battleship, but if you can still justify the savings you will make by running the car on diesel, then go ahead!! But personally I couldn't do it...

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!!

golf3
08-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Here's a quick reason why you NEED a diesel gearbox!

Diesel final drive...3.158:1
2.0L 8v final drive....3.667:1

gldgti
08-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Here's a quick reason why you NEED a diesel gearbox!

Diesel final drive...3.158:1
2.0L 8v final drive....3.667:1

what about the rest of the ratios?

gldgti
08-03-2007, 06:08 PM
on an overall basis, you can use any gearbox.... a vw diesel is happy to criuse at 3200rpm if it HAS to, just the same as a VW petrol will pull along the highway at 2200rpm if it has to.... it really depends what your looking for in your driving experience.

dieseldude
08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Now we are getting somewhere!
First off I had a 04 2.0 tdi (leather + everthing you could think of) ready to be bought until the Prick sold it on me to a guy offering more cash (500 more) the same day. $23,000 !!! Bargin. Any who if what your saying is an educated guess 3000 bucs just for the conversion almost seems cheap when compared to the price of modern diesels. Ill have to look into how much petrol mk3 golfs (been looking for diesels only)are going for and how much an imported front cut would be. Would getting a front cut resolve alot of the delemas?? How much is a engineers cert. and what are the rules can anyone shed some more light??

Cheers all have been very helpful much appreciated.

20vkitcar
08-03-2007, 07:17 PM
dash will work correctly..if you use the earlier TDI ..tacho maybe a bit out ? I have a spare mk3 TDI 5sp kicking around if anyones interested ph 0400356057 cheers steve

Golf Loon
11-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Oli has nearly finished this conversion. He had a statutory write off 1994 TDI and a Mk3 2L GL Shell.

I know he swopped loom, petrol tank, exhaust, engine, gearboz and probably lots of other stuff.

syncro
11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
How much is a engineers cert. and what are the rules can anyone shed some more light??

Cheers all have been very helpful much appreciated.

What state are you in?

In NSW you would just need a blue slip to change the engine number if it is an engine from that model.

vr6fun
17-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Hmm Interesting read, I have been planning a vr6 to 2.0tdi either vw (103kw-320Nm) or audi (125kw-350Nm)...planned to go with a halfcut straight away to get all bits needed...

did a bmw 2002tii with a M5 3.5Ltr engine as my last project much easier with complete donor car...

anyway, finding a half cut tdi has been alot harder as I am only interested in the the 2.0lt tdi

btw. not trying to hijack this thread

Sands
13-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Having wanting to do a similar conversion for a while now I thought idd post some inspiration

mk2 gti with a 1.9tdi from a mk4tdi gt
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37689.0

Not a conversion but a good donor eng - Mk4 1.9 TDI 8V with NOS lol crazy yanks
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/173300/1