PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong, but I don't know what !

RedMk2Gti
20-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi, I have this 2 problems :-
1) When the car is started in the morning, I feel that it only runs 3 cyclinder, if I drive it straigh away it has absolutely no power to move. After it warms up after few minutes it is back to normal.

2) It is never a fast car, but now sometime the car is completely lost power, but it is different from (1) above. I learned the trick to reset the ECU (pull the coolant temp. sensor, rev the engine up to 3000rpm for 3 times), then it seems back to normal. This happens once every few days, it could be one sensor that upset the ECU but I just don't know which one.

Any one have idea ?

GoLfMan
20-11-2005, 10:15 PM
3 cylinder thingy mite be something to do with you spark plug leads...

syncro
21-11-2005, 07:36 AM
3 cylinder thingy mite be something to do with you spark plug leads...

VW plug leads are copper. Last forever!

GoLfMan
21-11-2005, 10:00 AM
VW plug leads are copper. Last forever!
nothing lasts forever mate, ive had troubles with spark plug leads before leading to running on three cylinders!!!

RedMk2Gti
21-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Lead problem can not explain why it'll back to normal after few minutes warm up, right ?

imported_brackie
21-11-2005, 06:59 PM
When the engine warms expansion changes the whole ball game. I'm not saying that you're wrong in you hypothesis however you can easily check the plug leads by removing each individually and seeing if there is a difference. I'm chicken and I switch off the engine between lead pullings, but I know of people brave enough to do it with the lump running! If you have even only one known good lead you can test all of them by substitution. (Petrol engines run only due to a set of happy coincidences...diesels run because they are programmed to do so!)

aprr32
21-11-2005, 07:54 PM
It only takes a little bit of corrosion in the inside of the plug lead where it goes onto the plug to give you a problem especially when it is under load, like on a cold start.

syncro
22-11-2005, 07:05 AM
I have never seen a problem with VW plug leads, only the resistor connectors. The big problem is the w@#ker mechanics that change them for the blue leads for no good reason. Then you have to change them every few years.

Golf Loon
22-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah the German leads are the GO. The blue ones suck. Which do you have?

Could it be a head gasket problem? water seeping into cylinder overnight and being expelled when you rev motor and car then running ok? Are you losing any water?

RedMk2Gti
05-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi Guys.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The leads in my car are black so I think they are original. In last service the guy told me to replace the dizzy cap and rotor so I probably look at that first. What are these blue lead you guy talking abt ? If I have to replace lead what should I looking for ?
What is the symptom of head gasket leaking ? When the car start in the morning, after about 3 min water drip out from exhaust pipe, is it bad ?
Yes I have water lost and overhead issue, I have just replaced the coolant bottle, next is to check the water pump and thermostat, it could be related to the power lost problem.

Golfwise
05-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Water out the exhaust is condensation.
All cars do it.
H2O is a by product of combustion with our modern fuels.
Instead of struggling to work out the problem take it to a reputable VW guy,he should be able to sort it out.