PDA

View Full Version : Factory Sat Nav Vs dealer fitted sat nav

sausage
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Could anyone be specific about the differences between the factory sat nav and the factory fitted sat nav. I know there are no cd changer with the factory sat nav and you really need to install an ipod adapter to listen to any music.
I've heard that the factory sat nav shows big direction signs on the screen and the dealer fitted sat nav does not. If it doesn't... how does it tell u which way to turn?
Could ipod be used at the same time as sat nav?
Does the dealer sat nav show up all the same things to the factory fitted ones when you use radio and other stuff? any help would be appreciated.

brockybear
07-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi Sausage

My GTI had the dealer fitted Sat NAv and no CD changer. I had to get the changer fitted for another $1100. The Sat nav unit seems to work the same as the factory fit and mine has the Big Arrows to show you where to go. The antenna on my roof is different to the shark fin antenna you get on the factory fit unit but it doesnt seem to make a difference on how the unit performs.

I had the CD changer installed because I dont like the poor sound quality of MP3 and compressed music on portables and didnt like the idea of cables hanging out of the glove box to connect the Ipod.

sausage
07-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi,
for those of you that are installing dealer fit sat nav, have you ever considered the built in sat navs? In particular the Pioneer AVIC-D3.
A youtube link here: http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_i...fBKY8LYkhI8ViJ
Apparently this sat nav system plays mp3 and has ipod adapter and bluetooth

ScottH2155
14-03-2007, 09:19 PM
OK, I have a Jetta, with factory Sat Nav, plus I got a iPod adaptor to compensate for the lack of a cd changer.

You can get the changer - think it lives in the boot, but very $$$. From memory $1500-1800 odd.

I got the iPod adaptor fitted for $299 and the 30Gig iPod for about $380, so I reckon I'm better off $$$ wise.

Sat nav works with iPod no problems at all.

HTH

Subie25L
15-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Sat nav works with iPod no problems at all.

HTH

Does the satnav display any of the song details or playlists on the iPod ?

origin
15-03-2007, 11:21 AM
To: Scotth2215

OK, I have a Jetta, with factory Sat Nav, plus I

Are you sure ? Is it factory install or dealer install? Do you have a shark antenna?

I asked for Jetta. Sales told me. There was no factory install sav nat for Jetta..I need to pay extra money for cd changer in middle of your front seat.
:???:
Just curious... no hard feeling...:confused:

ScottH2155
17-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Does the satnav display any of the song details or playlists on the iPod ?

No, it's works via the "cd" button - so it emulates the 6 stack CD on the screen - ie the soft buttons around the edge have CD1 to 6.

The first 5 "CD's" are your first five playlists and CD6 is the iPod.

It'd be handy to have the music detail, but distracting. I just let it play with the sat nav map on most of the time anyway.

ScottH2155
17-03-2007, 09:08 PM
To: Scotth2215

OK, I have a Jetta, with factory Sat Nav, plus I

Are you sure ? Is it factory install or dealer install? Do you have a shark antenna?

I asked for Jetta. Sales told me. There was no factory install sav nat for Jetta..I need to pay extra money for cd changer in middle of your front seat.
:???:
Just curious... no hard feeling...:confused:

No hard feelings taken - I don't have a shark antenna, am going on the sales guy who looked up the stock when I brought it. It "came to Australia" with sat nav, leather, alarm AFAIK. I added iPod adaptor. It was about the time they first started being able to do them locally, due to demand, so assumed it came of the boat fitted. Didn't want the alarm, but didn't want to wait, so was asked to make them an offer...which I did :D